July 17th, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


  • Boston-area Pirate Brunch



Party Conference

Review survey (12 submissions) & decide month for conference:

Should we hold one state-wide conference or multiple regional conferences?

One State-wide conference 9
Multiple regional conferences 3

How long should a party conference last?

The usual one day is fine 11
Saturday & Sunday 3

What should the party conference focus on?

Deciding on a party platform 10
Group discussions 7
Presentations 8

When should we hold our party conference(s)?

July 9
August 8
September 8
June 3
November 3
October 2

Where should we hold our state-wide party conference?

Boston, Cambridge, Somerville Area 11
Between 128 and 495 6
Route 128 belt 3
West of 495 2

How would you prefer to get to the conference?

Public transit 7
Car 7
Bicycle 4
Car to public transit 3
Bus (PeterPan, etc) 2

Where do you live?

Greater Boston 6
Worcester county 2
Along 495 2
South Shore 1
Somewhere else 1

Should we arrange for childcare at the conference site?

Yes 8
No 3

Conference Topics

Open government 10
Net neutrality 9
Organizing 9
Running campaigns 9
Pirate strategy 8
Surveillance and countersurveillance 7
Building third-party coalitions 7
Income inequality 7
Filing FOIA and public records requests 6
Minimum wage 6
Corporate power 6
Proposing local legislation 6
Environment 5
Patents 4
Copyright 4
The war on drugs 3

Video Newsletter


  • Donate Your Vote campaign (jokeefe)
  • S.2823 - A bill to modernize copyright law, and for other purposes - posted. jokeefe will create petition
  • Free Reality Winner - Approved. jokeefe will write a statement
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)
  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for. Bill did not get out of committee (jokeefe)

Computer Donations


Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.


  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install slack alternative (jokeefe)

Upcoming Events

  • 7/17, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 7/24, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 7/25, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • 7/31, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • Jul/Aug, Boston-area Chapter Meeting
  • Aug, Democracy/IT meeting. Email info@masspirates.org for the location


  • hvxgr: Tom Rodman / Milwaukee
  • Malt: samuel capradae, worcester
  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville


  • ChanServ


  • Boston-area Pirate Brunch went well. Picking the date for the next one
  • Day Against DRM event
    • Will help organize an event for the around September 18, perhaps during Freedom Rally
    • Possible idea is to rope off an area with custom DRM Required caution tape or something like it. Perhaps the statehouse.
    • Will work with FSF
  • Freedom Rally
    • Plan to have a table there, maybe as a lounge area. Will seek a location that is less jammed
    • Live streaming from our table would be a good idea
    • Need to have materials Against DRM and Showing how to protect your privacy
    • Will test out the tent/setup weeks before so we can test out ideas
    • Would be good to have a specific banner(s) to attract attention. Suggestion: ASK US HOW TO HIDE FROM COPS {Google] [Facebook] etc.
  • Party Conference
    • Late September looks like the best date based on the survey and how long it would take to schedule
    • Boston-area is the preferred location
    • Will contact the places we have used in the past and check their schedules
  • Videos
    • Reaching out to Dan to check on the status of editing of previous PirateCon videos



[9:04pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_17th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:04pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:04pm] Malt: busy moving season?
[9:04pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:04pm] Malt: samuel capradae, worcester
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:06pm] hvxgr: no
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Review
[9:07pm] Malt: gonna see if i can't get the endorsements posted tonight
[9:07pm] jokeefe: thank you
[9:07pm] Malt: i got stymied first by struggling with the blog password and now i'm not sure where i saved the damn things
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Boston-area Pirate Brunch went well. Picking the date for the next one
[9:08pm] jokeefe: This password reset form should work - https://masspirates.org/blog/wp-login.php?action=lostpassword
[9:09pm] jokeefe: We had about 10 people
[9:09pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Day Against DRM event around September 18?
[9:10pm] Malt: i had an idea for that
[9:11pm] Malt: we could setup fenced-off areas in a park and make signs
[9:11pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:11pm] Malt: "ParkPlus users only"
[9:11pm] jokeefe: lol
[9:15pm] jokeefe: We could use custom caution tape
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Could caution tape the State House
[9:17pm] Malt: hahahahaha!
[9:17pm] Malt: yes!
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Aim for the 18th or tie it to freedom rally two days before?
[9:20pm] Malt: freedom seems nice
[9:22pm] Malt: FINALLY found the solidarity statements
[9:23pm] jokeefe: great
[9:25pm] jokeefe: I reached out to the FSF. Will suggest the idea to them.
[9:26pm] jokeefe: So go forward with it?
[9:26pm] Malt: Agreed!
[9:26pm] Malt: I've scheduled both posts, one on the 18th and one on the 19th
[9:27pm] jokeefe: great
[9:27pm] Malt: amended the freedom for all post to include the phrase "yes on 3"
[9:28pm] Malt: as that's their ballot question
[9:28pm] Malt: ohhh i should go and do the same for the safe patient limits question as that also got certified
[9:29pm] jokeefe: Please so. BTW: Would you change the titles so they aren’t in all caps?
[9:30pm] jokeefe: Please do. I mean
[9:30pm] Malt: fiiiiiiiine
[9:30pm] jokeefe: Thanks!
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Next up: Freedom Rally, September 14-16, Boston Common
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Should we have a table there?
[9:32pm] Malt: if we could think of a compelling reason or interesting spin we could put on it
[9:32pm] Malt: but last year was so packed there wasn't any chance of talking to folk
[9:32pm] jokeefe: We could ask to be in a less busy place
[9:33pm] jokeefe: Trying to live stream the whole event we are there would be good
[9:33pm] jokeefe: If we can get a taller tent, perhaps on milkcrates, that might work ok
[9:34pm] Malt: yeah, i'd still love to do a lounge area with drinks
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Would tie it into Anti DRM efforts as well
[9:34pm] jokeefe: lol
[9:34pm] Malt: could have info on how to replace corporate controlled apps with OSS
[9:34pm] Malt: prism break stuff
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Absolutely
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Perhaps we should test the booth/lounge area out on the common weeks before and optimize?
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Or some other common
[9:35pm] Malt: if we wanted a lot of attention we could get a banner reading ASK US HOW TO HIDE FROM COPS
[9:35pm] Malt: that's good thinking
[9:35pm] jokeefe: lol
[9:36pm] jokeefe: I like that as a banner
[9:36pm] jokeefe: thin, but long
[9:37pm] Malt: we could stack some of the words, get fiddly with spacing
[9:38pm] Malt: [ask us] [how to] HIDE from COPS
[9:38pm] jokeefe: Sure. We can try different layouts
[9:38pm] jokeefe: So have a table?
[9:39pm] Malt: i'll try to make it out
[9:39pm] Malt: lord knows i'm a delicate flower when it comes to sunshine
[9:40pm] jokeefe: Me too. Tents help. 
[9:40pm] jokeefe: We can ask for a less busy space.
[9:40pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:40pm] jokeefe: Party Conference
[9:41pm] jokeefe: Meeting has the main survey results
[9:41pm] Malt: nice
[9:41pm] jokeefe: Looks like July/August/September are the best months
[9:41pm] jokeefe: Suggest late September since that gives us time to plan
[9:42pm] Malt: if we set it before the freedom rally we can use it to recruit our folks to support us there
[9:42pm] Malt: in sept
[9:42pm] Malt: but yeah i second sept
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Not seeing any big vacation dates in September for colleges, so that should be ok.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: The survey wanted one location and most interest in Boston-area
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Will look at the availablity of the usual places and email volunteers for ideas for locations
[9:47pm] Malt: dim sum buffet
[9:47pm] Malt: a park with a nice spread from a hong kong bakery
[9:47pm] Malt: ugghhhh i wish worcester had an asian bakery ~_~
[9:48pm] jokeefe: time to start learning to bake?
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Ok, so late September then?
[9:49pm] Malt: i used to work in a bakery! they didn't let me bake for Good Reasons
[9:49pm] Malt: sure!
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Dang. Baking is what separates us from the Dark Ages
[9:49pm] Malt: i compensate for that with extremely rigorous handwashing
[9:50pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Anything happen with the Video Newsletter?
[9:51pm] Malt: nothing i was aware of
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Ok. Will touch base with Joe. Reaching out to Dan to check on the status of editing of previous PirateCon videos
[9:54pm] jokeefe: That is all I have.
[9:55pm] Malt: same
[9:55pm] jokeefe: Shall we adjourn then?
[9:55pm] hvxgr: sure
[9:57pm] Malt: 2nd
[9:57pm] jokeefe: Have a great night then. I will put the transcript up.
[9:58pm] jokeefe: Thanks!
[9:58pm] hvxgr: Thx/Good night all.
[9:58pm] Malt: night!