July 19th, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  • Somerville Public Library Cryptoparty

Aaron James Campaign

Events to Participate In

Upcoming Events

  1. 7/22-24, Hackers on Planet Earth, NYC
  2. 7/27, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  3. 8/7, (noon ferry), Pirate Picnic, Georges Island. Planning
  4. 8/27, Boston Public Library Crytoparty
  5. 8/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  6. 9/17-18, Freedom Rally
  7. 9/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  8. Democracy/IT meeting
  9. WMass Cryptoparty
  10. How to file a FOIA request by Maya Shaffer

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11am-12:30pm, Tatte Bakery & Cafe, 101 Main Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • NastyNas
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • MosesMPP (Moses Sukin, Great Barrington MA)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, in Highland Park, MI)
  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville)

Observers

  • davidd
  • igel
  • Velveeta_Chef
  • papegaai

Summary

Somerville Public Library Cryptoparty. Have audio recordings of the event. Nice discussions. Got a few people using OTR and one using Mailvelope.

Aaron James Campaign. They're doing doorknocking. Would love to have more people participate in door knocking events. To that end, they'll be knocking on doors 2pm every Saturday. Please contact the campaign if you can help!

Pirate picnic. Please add your name to the pad if you're planning to go. Also, if you can bring food, drinks, etc, please make a note of that as well.

Other notes

Minutes

 
21:00 < NastyNas> how many candidates will the Pirate party have this
        election? I want to know if any will be on my ballot
21:01 < srevilak> NastyNas: One candidate for state rep, in 27th middlesex
21:01 < jokeefe> I know of one in MA
21:01 < jokeefe> Other state parties seem to be endorsing candidates
21:02 < jokeefe> Here, Aaron James is running in the 27th Middlesex
        State rep district
21:03 < NastyNas> ok, thanks
21:03 < NastyNas> i was hoping there would be more than just one
21:04 < jokeefe> We were too
21:04 < jokeefe> Not too late to run as a write-in candidate
21:06 < jokeefe> Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_19th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:06 <@papegaai> Title: July 19th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:06 < jokeefe> Where do you live, NastyNas?
21:07 < MosesMPP> ahoy
21:07 < NastyNas> Massachusetts, but not 27th Middlesex
21:07 < jokeefe> suspected as much :-)
21:07 < jokeefe> ahy MosesMPP
21:07 < jokeefe> ahoy that is
21:07 < jokeefe> Review
21:08 < MosesMPP> ayhi to you too
21:08 < jokeefe> The Somerville Public Library Cryptoparty went well.
        srevilak recorded audio from it.  Lots of good questions.
21:09 < MosesMPP> is the audio somewhere?
21:09 < jokeefe> Will be
21:09 < srevilak> MosesMPP: not yet, needs editing first
21:09 < jokeefe> Got some folks using OTR
21:10 < jokeefe> And hopefully mailvelope
21:10 < srevilak> jokeefe: we did get someone using mailvelope (wrote
        to me later in the day)
21:10 < Bluestreak> ahoy
21:10 < srevilak> Hi Bluestreak
21:11 < jokeefe> ahoy Bluestreak
21:11 < jokeefe> cool, srevilak
21:11 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:11 < Kendra> Hi
21:11 < Kendra> Kendra Moyer, in Highland Park, MI
21:11 < jokeefe> thanks, Kendra
21:11 < jokeefe> ids
21:12 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:12 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:12 < MosesMPP> Moses Sukin, Great Barrington MA
21:12 < noe> ahoy!
21:12 < noe> Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville
21:12 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:12 < Bluestreak> ahoy!
21:13 < jokeefe> ahoy noe
21:13 < srevilak> hi noe
21:13 < noe> hi!  just met up with folks canvassing with Aaron
21:14 < jokeefe> Anything else to add about the Somerville Public Library
        Cryptoparty, srevilak?
21:14 < jokeefe> Looks like we could do another one in the fall
21:14 < noe> Do we want video of this one?
21:14 < srevilak> jokeefe: no -- I think it was a successful event,
        and I'd look forward to doing another
21:14 < jokeefe> fall? sure
21:15 < jokeefe> noe, would you give an update on Aaron James’ Campaign?
21:15 < noe> sure!
21:15 < jokeefe> thanks
21:15 < noe> right now we're in a phase where doorknocking and general
        pr is really important
21:16 < noe> Aaron and other volunteers would love to hae more regular
        doorknocking
21:16 < jokeefe> when is the next one?
21:16 < noe> and to that end, we'll be doorknocking at 2pm every Saturday
21:16 < jokeefe> cool
21:16 < noe> Some of us would like to organize a Pokemon Go centered
        meet the candidate thing
21:17 < jokeefe> lol
21:17 < noe> And although I'm pushing for an informal friendly Go of it,
        others in the committee would rather have it be more formal :/
21:17 < noe> If people have ideas, please hit me up.
21:18 < noe> Although using SCATV is an idea, we don't have enough staff
        available to make the show possible right now:  something that Aaron
        would like, but wouldn't necessarily be heavily involved in
21:19 < noe> We have an event scheduled for August 30th
21:20 < noe> So, TL;DR -- please contact us at info@aaronjames.org and
        come doorknock with us on Saturdays!
21:22 < noe> (did we already talk about the picnic?)
21:22 < jokeefe> not yet
21:23 < jokeefe> but can now.
21:23 < jokeefe> Pirate Picnic - https://piratenpad.de/p/MAPP2016Picnic
21:24 < jokeefe> if you are going, please add your name
21:27 < jokeefe> any other events we should work to turn people out for?
21:28 < jokeefe> or other issues anyone wants to discuss?
21:29 < Bluestreak> Who is going to HOPE?
21:29 < MosesMPP> just as a heads up
21:29 < srevilak> I can give a quick report on last wed's march against
        police brutality
21:29 < srevilak> (after moses)
21:30 < jokeefe> srevilak and me at least
21:30 < jokeefe> will be at HOPE
21:30 < jokeefe> Breakfast at 9am on Sunday
21:31 < MosesMPP> https://fundly.com/sayhernamevirginia-legal-support
21:31 <@papegaai> Title: #SayHerNameVirginia Legal support | Fundly
        (at fundly.com)
21:32 < noe> that's really heartening!  I'm happy that's nearly all funded
21:32 < MosesMPP> buddy of mine who runs in Digital rights circles sent
        me that
21:32 < MosesMPP> also mentioned
21:32 < jokeefe> cool
21:33 < MosesMPP> some other stuff he was doing in Restore the 4th and
        https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/03/launching-efa
21:33 <@papegaai> Title: Launching the Electronic Frontier Alliance |
        Electronic Frontier Foundation (at www.eff.org)
21:33 < MosesMPP> sorry was trying to dig up links, that's all I got
21:34 < srevilak> thanks MosesMPP
21:34 < srevilak> Last Wed's march drew a good crowd.  Went from BRIC
        house to Dudley.  At the end of the march, there were so many people
        they couldn't all fit into dudley station
21:35 < Bluestreak> Lots of Facebook Live, too
21:35 < Bluestreak> Couln’t share M Kravitz’s feed for some reason
21:36 < noe> whoo!
21:36 < jokeefe> wonderful
21:38 < jokeefe> anything else?
21:38 < srevilak> that's it -- we'll see where things go from there
21:39 < jokeefe> did anyone go to the meeting on Thu, to talk about
        next steps?
21:39 < jokeefe> or hear about what was discussed?
21:39 < srevilak> wasn't able to make that meeting
21:41 < jokeefe> noe, Aaron will be door knocking this Saturday?
21:42 < noe> yes
21:42 < jokeefe> good to know
21:42 < noe> sadly, i won't be there, but i know nick and aaron intend
        to doorknock
21:43 < noe> i think the group has completely done his neighbrohood,
        so we should aim for a neighborhood closer to Tufts probably
21:43 < jokeefe> wish I could be there this Sat.
21:44 < Bluestreak> Me too. I am still struggling with my health or
        I would!
21:44 < Bluestreak> OH!
21:44 < Bluestreak> I can call!
21:44 < Bluestreak> Y’all got some numbers?
21:45 < noe> we have emails!
21:45 < noe> we realized that our press contacts are pretty outdated
21:45 < noe> I will try to email you numbers once I can verify a human
        is at the end of that line
21:46 < Bluestreak> OK
21:46 < Bluestreak> I don’t have the energy to pester you, so don’t
        forget.
21:46 < Bluestreak> We will be in Cambridge late Sat night to pick up
        our son.
21:47 < jokeefe> thanks, Bluestreak
21:47 < jokeefe> srevilak, did you get a chance to go to the Killer
        Drones talk tonight?
21:47 < srevilak> unfortunately, no
21:48 < jokeefe> no worries.  hope it went well
21:48 < jokeefe> anything else to bring up?
21:51 < jokeefe> ok, motion to adjourn, do I have a 2nd?
21:51 < Kendra> 2nd
21:52 < srevilak> all in favor?
21:52 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:52 < srevilak> aye
21:52 < Kendra> aye
21:52 < Bluestreak> aye
21:53 < jokeefe> aye
21:53 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:53 < Kendra> nite all