July 20th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Reviews

  • July 18, David & Goliath Hackathon

Tasks

Putting names to tasks. PiratePad version.

Decisions

Planning

Event Planning

  1. July, Somerville Cryptoparty?
  2. Aug 2, Pirate Picnic, Georges Island, Pirate Pad
  3. August Cryptoparty, Worcester
  4. Aug/Sep. Surveillance mapping Hackathon
  5. Sep. 19 & 20, Freedom Rally - Sign up form - have asked for volunteers in email as well, need blog post by July/Aug
  6. Oct. Cory Doctorow Event
  7. Nov. event?
  8. Dec. event?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • davidd
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • ben (Ben Cook, Quincy)
  • bestpiggy
  • Kendra

Observers

  • Pharyngeal
  • zby
  • itspara
  • Weil_

Summary

David & Goliath Hackathon. About 11 people showed up. We focused on database setup for MAAPL's intake form. List of potential future tasks: https://piratenpad.de/p/MAAPLDataAndGoliath.

Task list: https://piratenpad.de/p/2015_MAPP_Tasks.

Minutes

 
21:00 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_20th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:00 < jokeefe> ids
21:00 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:01 < ben> Ben Cook, Quincy
21:01 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:01 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:03 < jokeefe> Reviews - July 18, David & Goliath Hackathon
21:03 < jokeefe> srevilak coordinated it.  we focused on database setup.
21:03 < jokeefe> had about 11 people
21:04  * srevilak has a lot of post hackathon work to do ...
21:05 < Bluestreak> Such as?
21:06 < BenC> we might want to get a wiki page up with tasks so different
        people can share the work
21:06 < srevilak> One of the main issues is looking for ways to work
        around an apparent scalability issue in jquery
21:07 < srevilak> (scalability issue = "locks up browser for 5-10 seconds
        when you try to edit our list of 300 custom fields)
21:07 < srevilak> There's also the question of what problems we might
        run into w/a 300 question webform form
21:08 < srevilak> At the very least, it might be tedious if you want to
        look at the work you did on page 27, but have to click `next' 27 times
        in order to do that
21:08 < BenC> 300 is a huge number of questions
21:09 < srevilak> I'm starting to suspect that breaking our big long
        questionairre into several smaller ones might be the way to go.  But big
        question there is how that will affect statement of fact generation
21:09 < jokeefe> To BenC’s question - srevilak, did you setup a Pirate
        Pad page?
21:09 < srevilak> jokeefe: nope
21:09 < jokeefe> I just setup https://piratenpad.de/p/MAAPLDataAndGoliath
21:10 < srevilak> BenC: mortage forclosures are complicated
21:10 < jokeefe> ain’t that the truth
21:10 < jokeefe> From a DB perspective, each of the sections should
        probably have its own table.
21:11 < srevilak> jokeefe: you can make arguments for both cases
21:11 < jokeefe> true
21:12 < srevilak> unfortunately, validating either argument will likely
        come down to "try and see"
21:13 < jokeefe> Well it is said that you need three versions to get
        software right ;-)
21:14 < jokeefe> srevilak, should we setup another hackathon?
21:14 < jokeefe> for MAAPL?
21:15 < Bluestreak> It could be a regular thing?
21:16 < srevilak> jokeefe: I think we need to figure out some combination
        of the performance and/or statement of fact generation issues
21:16 < jokeefe> Hopefully we will complete it, Bluestreak
21:16 < jokeefe> to see if we should continue down the CiviCRM path?
21:16 < Bluestreak> After one more?
21:19 < jokeefe> We had some browser issues that slowed down performance.
        We need to work them out since it hindered us noticably
21:21 < srevilak> As I said earlier, lot's of post-hackathon work to do :)
21:21 < jokeefe> ok
21:21 < jokeefe> thanks
21:21 < srevilak> hi bestpiggy!
21:22 < jokeefe> ahoy bestpiggy
21:22 < bestpiggy> hey all, sorry I am late.
21:22 < jokeefe> no worries
21:22 < srevilak> we're glad you're here
21:22 < jokeefe> anything anyone wants to add to the agenda before we
        proceed further?
21:25 < jokeefe> Just a reminder that our task list is at
        https://piratenpad.de/p/2015_MAPP_Tasks
21:25 < jokeefe> if there is anything you want to take on
21:25 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:25 < Kendra> hey
21:27 < jokeefe> Writing a blog post on http://privacysos.org/node/1778
21:27 < jokeefe> Updating public records law
21:27 < jokeefe> Seems up our alley
21:30 < jokeefe> BTW: I2PCon is in August in Toronto -
        https://geti2p.net/en/blog/post/2015/07/16/I2PCon
21:31 < jokeefe> ahoy noe
21:31 < noe> ahoy!
21:31 < jokeefe> haven’t heard from paper_waves about the July
        cryptoparty at parts and crafts
21:32 < jokeefe> Just a reminder to put down whether you are attending
        the Picnic at https://piratenpad.de/p/2015MAPPPicnic
21:32 < noe> supposedly this week?
21:32 < Bluestreak> ahoy noe
21:32 < noe> ahoy lucia!
21:32 < jokeefe> might be.  cryptoparty could be next week
21:33 < noe> paper_waves seems busy, maybe its best to poke her via email?
21:34 < jokeefe> would you be able to do that?
21:35 < noe> yes.  i cannot guarantee a swift reply, since its high
        season for parts and crafts
21:35 < noe> all the camps all the times!
21:35 < jokeefe> true.  didn’t se anything at
        https://www.cryptoparty.in/boston
21:37 < jokeefe> so - August.  We have the picnic.  I don’t want to
        overextend us, but we have talked about a cryptoparty in Worcester and
        the Surveillance mapping Hackathon.
21:38 < jokeefe> srevilak, think MAAPL hackathon in August?
21:38 < jokeefe> August seems slow so more than two events is probably
        the limit
21:39 < jokeefe> assuming we iron out details of CiviCRM.
21:39 < srevilak> jokeefe: possibly.  Will have a better idea in a
        few days
21:39 < BenC> was there a carpool to Worcester last time?  I would have
        trouble getting all the way out there
21:40 < jokeefe> Yes
21:42 < jokeefe> Any weekends that don’t work for folks?
21:42 < noe> For me, last weekend of August.
21:43 < igel> lo
21:43 < Kendra> I am out of town the last week of August
21:43 < srevilak> aug 8th is sketchy for me
21:43 < jokeefe> ahoy igel, paper_waves
21:43 < igel> william fleurant, arrlington ma
21:43 < noe> that reminds me:  noelani kamelamela, somerville ma
21:43 < noe> :\
21:43 < paper_waves> I finally made another irc chat! after like 3
        months.. halley, winchester
21:44 < Kendra> Kendra Moyer, East Boston
21:44 < jokeefe> thanks.  We are discussing August events
21:44 < bestpiggy> olivia pineyro, boston
21:44 < jokeefe> paper_waves - is there a July or August Somerville
        cryptoparty?
21:44 < jokeefe> We have the pirate picnic on the 2nd -
        https://piratenpad.de/p/2015MAPPPicnic
21:45 < jokeefe> have four so far with maybe seven
21:45 < paper_waves> oh yeah, there is one this wednesday but I haven'T
        advertzied it. not yet planned for aug
21:45 < Bluestreak> Promote
21:45 < jokeefe> What time?
21:45 < Bluestreak> Gotta promote
21:46 < paper_waves> i know I've just been loosing motivation to do them
        recently. 6-9pm, at parts and crafts
21:46 < igel> ah at parts?
21:46 < igel> ah k.
21:47 < BenC> paper_waves, do you need help running it?
21:47 < jokeefe> yes, having them each month takes its toll
21:48 < jokeefe> how did the june privacy meetuo go?
21:48 < jokeefe> I can help, paper_waves
21:50 < paper_waves> I'm hoping it becomes an autonomous group of "crypto
        angels" (like yall) who could help. but I've been kind of half assing
        the last few by not advertizing and then just hanging out with 3 people
21:51 < BenC> If we have a flyer for the August date, I'll try to put
        one up at the Nonprofit Center in downtown
21:51 < jokeefe> I’ll show up Wednesday and we can plan them out.
        Flyering would be good.  We’ll get it done.
21:51 < noe> I think sometimes, even when we advertize, we end up hanging
        with 3 or 4 people.
21:52 < jokeefe> Sometimes, but sometimes not.
21:52 < noe> we get the most attendance if we partner with other groups,
        I think.
21:52  * srevilak thinks noe is right :)
21:52 < jokeefe> agreed
21:52 < paper_waves> new people have been showing up every time, plus
        there is a little crew of returners which is nice too!
21:53 < Bluestreak> Not feeling so hot.
21:53 < Bluestreak> Taking off.
21:53 < noe> hooray!
21:53 < jokeefe> night!
21:53 < Bluestreak> night all
21:53 < paper_waves> jokeefe that sounds great
21:53 < noe> Night, Lucia!
21:53 < igel> heh
21:53 < igel> i invited like 3 or 4 to go to one of the last ones,
21:54 < igel> but it was the night before :/
21:54 < jokeefe> so a cryptoparty in the 2nd weekend or last weekend
        of August might be iffy, but the 3rd and 4th seem ok from what I have
        heard today.
21:54 < jokeefe> ?
21:54 < igel> for worcester?
21:54 < noe> 3rd or 4th should work for me.
21:55 < paper_waves> cool, we can book a new date on wednesday
21:55 < paper_waves> (during the party)
21:55 < jokeefe> sure, kids welcome?
21:55 < paper_waves> totes!
21:56 < jokeefe> ok, good.  maybe my youngest will come
21:57 < jokeefe> well we are at time.
21:57 < jokeefe> any announcements?
21:57 < paper_waves> glad I could make this for the end at least
21:57 < Kendra> nite all
21:57 < jokeefe> me too
21:58 < paper_waves> and thanks everyone for your support of the
        cryptoparties
21:58 < BenC> i think they're really important outreach, no matter how
        many people are there
21:58 < jokeefe> we may not be Berlin, but we try
21:59 < paper_waves> word
21:59 < jokeefe> ok, motion to adjoun
21:59 < jokeefe> 2nd?
21:59 < srevilak> second
22:00 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:00 < igel> wed paper_waves?
22:00 < jokeefe> aye 6-9
22:00 < igel> yaar
22:00 < BenC> night all
22:00 < jokeefe> & aye
22:00 < jokeefe> stay cool folks
22:00 < igel> chevere
22:01 < bestpiggy> night all
22:01 < paper_waves> peace
22:01 < igel> viva cuba
22:01 < jokeefe> srevilak, you got the notes?
22:01 < srevilak> sure
22:02 < noe> night
22:02 < jokeefe> thank you, we really should have noe do them ;-)