July 24th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Tasks

  1. Update on candidate status, campaign strategies
  2. Planning for Pirate Picnic and Freedom Rally
    1. Registered for Freedom Rally?
    2. Blog posts
    3. Facebook events
    4. Other?
  3. Digital Media Conference
  4. Film nights?
  5. What issue campaigns we need to be on top of?
    1. CISA
    2. Net Neutrality
    3. trade treaties: TPP/TTIP/TAFTA
  6. Budget & Fundraising for the rest of the year

Events

  1. July 25th. DMC Public meeting at the South End Tech Center
  2. July 26th, German-wide Stop Watching US protest
  3. July 29th, Last day to turn in nomination papers for Federal offices to cities & towns
  4. Agg 10th, Pirate Picnic. Noon. Georges Island (Ferry Information)
  5. September 13--14th. Freedom Rally (Boston Common)

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • Bluelustreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • JCFiero (Jason Fiero)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer)
  • igel (Will)

Observers:

  • davidd
  • zby
  • Pharyngeal

Summary

Joe's campaign status: http://www.twitch.tv/joeguertin. Noe is finishing up campaign web site.

Pirate Picnic. Sunday, Aug 10th @ noon. Georges Island. Ferry Information

Freedom Rally registration complete. Need to do event publicity.

Digital Media Conference. There's a youth meeting tomorrow @ SETC. Not sure about the date for the conference itself. Lucia and Kendra will try to attend tomorrow night's event.

Movie night. We have a bunch of videos from HOPE X. Would like to organize a movie night to show them. Perhaps in conjunction with the ACLU, FSF. Jamie will get in touch with ACLU; Kendra will get in touch with FSF, Steve will scope out Somerville Theatre as a venue.

Steve to post budget on wiki, so we can develop fundraising targets.

Minutes

 
20:53 < jokeefe> ahoy!
20:55 < srevilak> hi jokeefe 
21:00 < jokeefe> agenda at https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_24th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:00 < jokeefe> ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville
21:00 < jokeefe> ahoy JCFiero
21:01 < JCFiero> greetings
21:01 < Bluelustreak> Hi hunny
21:02 < jokeefe> ahoy Bluelustreak!
21:02 < JCFiero> Status of Mr Guertens campaign can be viewed at http://www.twitch.tv/joeguertin
21:02 < jokeefe> doing ids, agenda at https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_24th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:03 < jokeefe> ok, Bluelustreak
21:03 < Bluelustreak> Lucia Fiero
21:04 < Bluelustreak> JCFiero ID!
21:04 < Bluelustreak> (He is in the den with Kendra)
21:05 < JCFiero> Jason Fiero
21:05 < Bluelustreak> OK who is watching Joe livestream?
21:06 < jokeefe> Noelani status - meeting to determine next steps, finishing up site
21:06 < srevilak> http://www.twitch.tv/joeguertin looks like a plug for video games
21:06 < Bluelustreak> That is him LIVE
21:06 < JCFiero> we can all drop into his stream and harass him..  
21:07 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: regardless, still looks like a gaming site
21:07 < JCFiero> he might boot us
21:07 < Bluelustreak> LOL
21:08 < srevilak> hi Kendra 
21:08 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:08 < jokeefe> Agenda at https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_24th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:08 < Kendra> Kendra Moyer, currently at jason and Lucias' house
21:09 < jokeefe> Anything else to talk about for candidates?
21:09 < Bluelustreak> As you can see...
21:09 < Bluelustreak> Our candidate is currently occupied
21:09 < Bluelustreak> Oops
21:10 < jokeefe> I will talk with him.
21:10 < Bluelustreak> Fell free to invite him.
21:10 < Bluelustreak> feel meep
21:10 < Bluelustreak> HE'S SWITCHING TEAMS
21:10 < jokeefe> Next up: Planning for Pirate Picnic and Freedom Rally 
21:10 < srevilak> One sec
21:10 < Bluelustreak> Freedom Rally is paid for.
21:10 < JCFiero> Yeay.. will I finally make a picnic? 
21:10 < Bluelustreak> Registered, etc.
21:11 < Bluelustreak> YAY!
21:11 < JCFiero> we shall see
21:11 < srevilak> If I were to get in touch with some 3rd party candidates, and try to organize some kind of panel for fall
21:11 < igel> yaar
21:11 < srevilak> How would folks feel about that?
21:11 < Bluelustreak> Hi Will!
21:11 < jokeefe> ahoy igel
21:11 < igel> hey0
21:11 < Kendra> Hi Will
21:11 < igel> kendra ahaa hey
21:11 < Bluelustreak> specifically Steve?
21:11 < jokeefe> Pretty sure Noe could be there
21:12 < jokeefe> igel - agenda at https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_24th,_2014_IRC_Meeting, on item 1
21:12 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: panel discussion for 3rd party candidate.  Come and meet the 3rd parties
21:12 < Bluelustreak> Meet and greet panel Sure
21:13 < jokeefe> srevilak - how about emailing the candidates and see what they say since they aren't here
21:13 < jokeefe> ?
21:13 < Bluelustreak> I'll support that Steve
21:13 < srevilak> Idea: invite several.  If someone is interested in one party, they come, get a little exposure to all
21:13 < igel> ah im here now  jokeefe 
21:13 < Kendra> I think it is a good idea.  There are a few groups, Green Rainbow, Socialist, and libertarian that would all probably show up
21:13 < srevilak> jokeefe: yes, have to talk with folks.  Candidates first
21:13 < Kendra> Just invite everybody for maximum drama
21:13 < jokeefe> lol
21:14 < srevilak> Kendra: :)
21:14 < srevilak> sorry for being tangental.  End of tangent
21:14 < srevilak> back to picnic, freedom rally ...
21:14 < igel> mass pirates and freedom meshnet ssids :D
21:14 < jokeefe> Planning for Pirate Picnic and Freedom Rally 
21:15 < jokeefe> Pirate Picnic is Sat. 9th August
21:15 < jokeefe> ~2 weeks
21:15 < srevilak> Is Aug 9th firm?  I thought we hadn't decided on Sat vs Sun
21:15 < Bluelustreak> I prefer Sat
21:15 < Bluelustreak> If you care
21:16 < jokeefe> no one else preferred sunday.
21:16 < srevilak> MF/PL support team is having a server upgrade party on 9th
21:16 < Bluelustreak> Um who?
21:16 < jokeefe> ah
21:16 < srevilak> May have to skip picnic
21:17 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: MF/PL = Mayfirst/People Link
21:17 < jokeefe> Bluelustreak, can you do Sun?
21:17 < Bluelustreak> Fine. Accomodate the doctor
21:17 < Bluelustreak> For Steve? Yes.
21:17 < Bluelustreak> Jason?
21:17 < JCFiero> aye
21:17 < Bluelustreak> JCFiero?
21:18 < srevilak> If Sun is bad for others, the please don't change date on my account
21:18 < jokeefe> igel, pirate picnic august 9th or 10th
21:18 < jokeefe> ?
21:18 < Bluelustreak> Sun is not BOAD
21:18 < Bluelustreak> BAD
21:18 < igel> pardon me, was in a /msg
21:18 < Bluelustreak> Sat is better Sun is fine
21:19 < JCFiero> did anyone else vote who is not here . but who often attend like Bleu?
21:19 < igel> aah, i cant commit there 
21:19 < Bluelustreak> Yeah can Blue make Sun?
21:21 < JCFiero> whatever.. sun is better for me anyhow, so I hope it works for everyone.. 
21:21 < Bluelustreak> So we've decided?
21:22 < jokeefe> sorry, my connection died
21:22 < srevilak> jokeefe: vpn.ipredator.se?  Wow, ipredator sounds impressive :)
21:23 < jokeefe> yeah, not sure that was it, but it stopped liking the HOPE X net
21:23 < jokeefe> what did I miss?
21:24 < srevilak> jokeefe: you haven't missed anything
21:24 < jokeefe> k, so august 10th it seems to be then
21:24 < srevilak> time and place?
21:24 < jokeefe> noon, Georges Island
21:25 < jokeefe> are we registered for Freedom Rally? 
21:25 < igel> i couldnet vote on date sorr..
21:26 < Kendra> lulu says everything is paid and registered
21:26 < jokeefe> most excellent!
21:26 < Kendra> check, email, photo, form all sent
21:27 < jokeefe> So need to put up blog/FB/etc posts then
21:28 < jokeefe> anyone able to help with those?  I can get the blog posts done, likely tonight
21:28 < Kendra> Lulu says she will do facebook
21:29 < Kendra> I'm transcribing
21:29 < srevilak> igel: hope you can make it on the 10th
21:29 < jokeefe> thanks, Bluelustreak
21:30 < jokeefe> Digital Media Conference 
21:30 < jokeefe> Youth meeting tomorrow - is there a date?
21:31 < Bluelustreak>  For the October event?
21:31 < jokeefe> yes
21:31 < Bluelustreak> Um... Sorry I don't know
21:32 < Bluelustreak> Been a rough week oops
21:32 < jokeefe> not a problem, just wanted to see what we knew. 
21:32 < jokeefe> Hope next week is much better
21:32 < jokeefe> 4. Film Nights?
21:32 < Bluelustreak> Kendra and I are are gonna try to get out to Tent City tomorrow
21:33 < Bluelustreak> They will bring us Up to speed
21:33 < jokeefe> very cool, thank you!
21:33 < srevilak> thx!
21:33 < jokeefe> Thinking of starting a periodic fillm night showing HOPE X videos
21:34 < jokeefe> who is interested in helping?
21:34 < srevilak> I'm interested
21:34 < Bluelustreak> YAY!
21:34 < srevilak> jokeefe and I talked about this @ hope.  One idea was to rent basement of somerville theatre,
21:35 < srevilak> and ask ACLU and FSF to co-sponsor
21:35 < Bluelustreak> SURE OK!
21:35 < Bluelustreak> One sec
21:36 < Kendra> Oh I talked to Will theaker who is the Communications and Outereach coordinator at FSF and he wants to help out with the campains. 
21:36 < Bluelustreak> This^
21:36 < srevilak> Kendra: can you send me wtheaker's email address?
21:36 < igel> did anyone see the nyc meshnet at hope?
21:36 < Kendra> OK
21:36 < jokeefe> very cool, Kendra!
21:37 < srevilak> igel: yes.  Jamie has DVD of the talk 
21:37 < jokeefe> I have it on DVD
21:37 < Bluelustreak> Yes thanks Kendra!
21:37 < igel> whoa, can i please get a copy?
21:37 < igel> if its better/diff than the yt
21:37 < jokeefe> think it is youtube
21:37 < jokeefe> one sec
21:37 < jokeefe> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEo4uLAJ32U
21:37 < igel> http://civic.mit.edu/blog/elplatt/hope-x-wireless-meshnets-building-the-next-version-of-the-web
21:38 < jokeefe> can still get you my dvd if you want
21:38 < igel> wicked, ah?
21:38 < jokeefe> aye!
21:38 < igel> awwwww swagger? hmmmm ill trade you a meshbox :P
21:38 < srevilak> mmm.  Meshbox :)
21:38 < jokeefe> :-)
21:39 < igel> the talk was solid
21:40 < srevilak> and they're using cjdns too 
21:40 < igel> community, the fork of the internet, good stuff.
21:40 < jokeefe> so lets chat over email and plan it out.  I will contact ACLU, Kendra would you contact FSF?
21:41 < Kendra> I am looking for Will's email right now.  i can probablay have Chrissie forward and email. 
21:42 < jokeefe> thanks
21:43 < igel> how did dmc go? 
21:43 < jokeefe> What issue campaigns we need to be on top of?  Besides CISA,  Net Neutrality and trade treaties: TPP/TTIP/TAFTA?
21:44 < jokeefe> dmc went well last year
21:44 < igel> ooh ah, the meet
21:44 < jokeefe> tomorrow
21:44 < igel> downtown... Ah!
21:45 < igel> i saw the flyer 
21:46 < srevilak> jokeefe: that seems like a good list
21:46 < igel> regarding the dmc planning
21:47 < jokeefe> don't want us to get overextended considering our resources
21:47 < igel> i've yet to ping suren my self
21:48 < jokeefe> other opinions?
21:48 < Bluelustreak> You can get on the dmc planning email list if you like igel
21:48 < igel> Oh its on the wiki
21:48 < igel> duh
21:49 < igel> yeah i saw the email just now 
21:49 < Bluelustreak> Um.. (Raises hand)
21:49 < jokeefe> yes?
21:49 < Bluelustreak> I already feel overwhelmed, sir
21:49 < jokeefe> ++ to that
21:50 < jokeefe> more thinking of which ones to keep an eye on and put up blog posts, exhorations to contact congress folk.
21:52 < srevilak> jokeefe: that sounds doable
21:52  * srevilak just ordered audio recordings of all HOPE 9 talks.  Bargain @ $5
21:52 < jokeefe> :-)
21:53 < srevilak> http://2600hacker.stores.yahoo.net/audioonly1.html
21:53 < Bluelustreak> I am going to the dmc thingy with Kendra... Jason and I will be at picnic, and running FR... My dance card is full
21:53 < srevilak> Full set of HOPE X DVDs, half price: http://2600hacker.stores.yahoo.net/hopex2014.html
21:53 < Bluelustreak> I can be a warm body at things other ppl organize
21:53 < JCFiero> maybe. 
21:54 < JCFiero> heh
21:54  * srevilak will contact somerville theatre, to see what kinds of rates they charge
21:54 < jokeefe> Bluelustreak, aye tis!  thanks!
21:54 < igel> :O
21:54 < Bluelustreak> LOL
21:54 < igel> thats an incredible idea
21:54 < jokeefe> thanks srevilak!
21:55 < jokeefe> only have 5 more minutes till end - Budget & Fundraising for the rest of the year 
21:56 < jokeefe> Srevilak, what are we at for money in bank?
21:56 < srevilak> jokeefe: $982, I believe
21:56 < igel> soooooo many
21:56 < srevilak> yes, $982 in the bank
21:57 < jokeefe> where is the budget you worked on posted?
21:57 < igel> yaa dude, ill trade you for a dvd 
21:57 < srevilak> not posted.  Sorry :(
21:57 < igel> trade you an enigmabox if u want to switch from ipredator
21:57 < jokeefe> no worries, would you post it?  need to have that ironed out before we start asking for more money
21:58 < srevilak> We have https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_17th,_2014_Budget_Planning_Meeting
21:58 < srevilak> $175 for flyers, $22 for domain registration, and $50 for food
21:58 < srevilak> If we do movie night, that will probably have cost
21:59 < srevilak> We're in good shape as far as those items are concerned.
21:59 < jokeefe> will need to put up posters, so there is that cost too
21:59 < jokeefe> plus we need $ for the DMC and our 2015 conference
21:59 < srevilak> jokeefe: okay.
22:00 < srevilak> Travelling this weekend, but will try to put up budget on wiki
22:00 < srevilak> $100 for posters sufficient?
22:00 < jokeefe> thank you
22:00 < jokeefe> probably
22:01 < srevilak> what's our financal commitment for DMC?
22:01 < jokeefe> flexible.  At least $100 if we want a table
22:01 < Bluelustreak> How much do we need to run a cryptoparty?
22:01 < srevilak> Okay $150 for DMC.  $450 for conference
22:01 < Bluelustreak> Do we want t shirts? buttons? flyers?
22:01 < Bluelustreak> (Asks Kendra)
22:02 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: cryptoparty varies.  Can be $0.  Can be more than $0
22:02 < jokeefe> location usually $40 for e5, yes?
22:02 < Bluelustreak> Oh speaking of conference...
22:02 < jokeefe> really need flags
22:02 < Bluelustreak> Cory Docotrow
22:02 < srevilak> usually $45.  Though, we've been passing hat at cryptoparties, and using those proceeds for space
22:03 < srevilak> best results were SETC cryptoparty.  I think we gave $75 to SETC
22:03 < jokeefe> should budget for speaker, Bluelustreak?
22:03 < Bluelustreak> Give me laundry list of questions to ask Jason/Sarah/Suren tomorrow
22:03 < srevilak> jokeefe: flags -- 2014 or 2015?
22:04 < Bluelustreak> One event at a time
22:04 < Bluelustreak> DMC first
22:04 < Bluelustreak> Email me anthing you want me to chat the organizers up about
22:04 < jokeefe> lets see how much flags cost, can be used in a fundraising appeal
22:05 < Bluelustreak> Zazzle?
22:05 < srevilak> jokeefe: will try to get some pricing
22:05 < Bluelustreak> We are past time
22:05 < jokeefe> don't know if they do that
22:05 < jokeefe> aye we are - motion to adjourn?
22:05 < igel> aye yeah 
22:05 < Bluelustreak> 2nd
22:06 < Bluelustreak> aye
22:06 < JCFiero> k
22:06 < Kendra> aye
22:06 < jokeefe> all in favor
22:06 < jokeefe> ?
22:06 < Bluelustreak> I
22:06 < JCFiero> aye
22:06 < igel> yar
22:06 < Bluelustreak> I
22:06 < Bluelustreak> I
22:06 < jokeefe> aye
22:06 < Kendra> nite
22:06 < srevilak> aye (will post transcript)
22:06 < jokeefe> motion passes