July 24th, 2019 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

National Party

Today's hearing, Robert Mueller testifies

Decisions/Endorsements

Congress of Corrections

Boston is hosting the Congress of Corrections, Aug 1-6. It will be at the Hynes Convention Center, Halls C&D. It is sponsored by private prison and ICE detention investors.

The protest organizers are organizing a call in to the hotels to not provide hotel rooms to ACA participants. Details.

Projects

Goals for Q2:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize election
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings

Leader:

Video Newsletter

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording?

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

July 13th Meeting

  • srevilak updated blog theme. jokeefe and srevilak corrected any items that were wrong as a result of the update;
  • jokeefe updated our Riot/Matrix client to the latest stable version. Started work on a splash page for discuss.masspirates.org.
  • srevilak & jokeefe tested camera / microphone setup and figured out that the reason the recording was so soft in the video we took at the Pirate Planning Picnic was that the speakers were too far away from the microphones.

jokeefe noticed that our CCTV camera map no longer shows the locations of cameras. Fixed.

Next meeting will be August 10th. Topics are:

  • find discussion/voting system;
  • update CCTV cameras to include older cameras outside North America we didn't include;
  • write an app to record the location/ownership of CCTV cameras;
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds);
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak).

Tasks

Statement on Alabama/Ohio/Georgia Abortion ban bills/laws

Fight bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

H.2419 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. jokeefe will submit testimony.

National Platform reform/remake

Tabled Projects

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Non-pirate guest speakers for Pirate News

CCTV camera map

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Video Newsletter guest speakers

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 7/29, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 7/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts
  • 8/6, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, Cambridge
  • 8/10, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, Arlington
  • 8/13, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 8/20, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 8/24, Lowell Pirate Picnic, Lowell
  • 8/27, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  •  ?, ?, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Board Room, Holyoke Public Library, Holyoke

Participants

  • Pirate_Joe
  • Malt
  • jokeefe
  • srevilak
  • igel[m]

Observers

  • bonelesspepsi
  • davidd
  • hvxgr
  • MikaelaSuomalainen
  • mikey

Summary

A bit of friendly opening banter.

National Party. Elections are Monday. National will need a quartermaster in the not too distant future.

Congress of Corrections. Group is calling hotels, and requesting they not work with American corrections association. No updates on Aug 4th demonstration against ACA's conference. Malt will work on call to action.

Regional Meetings. Next one is in Lowell. Aug 24th, 1pm. More a regional social meeting than a regional gathering.

Please fill out pirate conference survey if you haven't: https://masspirates.org/blog/2019/07/18/party-conference-survey/

CASE Act. Jokeefe wrote a nice statement.

MassMesh. Tech coming along. Working on building a coop

Boston Sex Workers Petition. Perhaps time to close the partition. Will discuss with Desmond.

Minutes

 
21:04 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_24th,_2019_IRC_Meeting
21:04 <@jokeefe> ids
21:04 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:05 < Pirate_Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:05 < Malt> Ole Sammy cap, Worcester
21:05 <@jokeefe> Anything to add?
21:05 < Pirate_Joe> review, hearing
21:05 < Malt> Heard back from the nomorecages folk
21:05 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:06 <@jokeefe> thanks, Malt. Which hearing, Pirate_Joe
21:06 < Pirate_Joe>
        https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/robert-mueller-congress-testimony/index.html
21:06 < Malt> It was a scorcher
21:07 < Malt> Edge of my seat the whole hearing
21:07 < igel[m]> William Fleurant.. Charlestown at the moment :]
21:07 < Pirate_Joe> Due to the hectic nature of my day, I only caught
        bits and pieces but I heard it was disappointing
21:08 < Pirate_Joe> He stonewalled members a few times
21:08 <@jokeefe> thanks Pirate_Joe
21:08 < srevilak> On bright side, FTC
        decides to kick facebook in the gonads.
        https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/07/24/facebook_fined_5bn_over_privacy_snafu_by_federal_trade_commission/
21:08 < Malt> Yeeeessssssssss
21:09 <@jokeefe> Only $5 billion. 1% of their market cap.
21:09 < igel[m]> Warren/Sanders would agree
21:10 < srevilak> but 9% of their annual earnings
21:10 < srevilak> compared to other corp fines, that's not terrible
21:10 < igel[m]> its a swift kick for sure
21:10 <@jokeefe> Review
21:10 < Pirate_Joe> More like a warning shot. Could have been much worse
21:11 <@jokeefe> National Party - Elections are next Monday.
21:11 < Pirate_Joe> Aye
21:12 < Pirate_Joe> The entire board is going to run for the same
        positions however we welcome anyone to come run against us.  MA is the
        strongest of all the states so I would be happy to step aside if someone
        else would like to take my place
21:12 < Pirate_Joe> We also will be in need of a quartermaster soon at
        the national level as well.
21:13 < Pirate_Joe> Though due to jokeefe 's suggestion, we plan to
        elect someone to that position when we actually have need.
21:13 <@jokeefe> Candidates:
21:13 <@jokeefe> Megan Klein chair WI
21:13 <@jokeefe> Joseph, Vice-Chair, MA
21:13 <@jokeefe> Joe Klein Secretary WI
21:13 <@jokeefe> Johann Drolshagen, Webmaster
21:13 < Pirate_Joe> Johann is in CA
21:14 <@jokeefe> Technically webmaster isn’t in the bylaws
21:15 <@jokeefe> Any objections to electing the same set of officers
        for the national party?
21:15 < Pirate_Joe> We elected in by special council. After this election,
        if elected, I was tasked with working on the by-laws
21:15 < Malt> No
21:15 < Malt> I think I still have the sample bylaws I wrote out a few
        months ago
21:15 < Malt> I think it's in the discord, I'll check
21:16 < Pirate_Joe> Malt, I know you had some interest in becoming the
        Vice-chair. Are you still interested?
21:17 < Pirate_Joe> Not that I don't enjoy the prestige but I know you
        are well informed and level headed.
21:17 < Pirate_Joe> You would do well.
21:19 < igel[m]> leaving office -- i'll follow along on Riot
21:19 <@jokeefe> is that sync’d?
21:20 <@jokeefe> Seeing no objections we will back these candidates
        unless Malt decides to run in Joe’s place.
21:20 <@jokeefe> Today's hearing
21:20 < Pirate_Joe> We will still need MA reps as well
21:20 < Malt> I couldn't find it in discord but I think I have the docs
        if you want to recycle any of it
21:20 < Pirate_Joe> That would be helpful Malt
21:20 <@jokeefe> You and Malt are the reps.
21:20 < Malt> Lol
21:21 < Malt> I am not ready for a VC position yet
21:21 < Pirate_Joe> Can I be a rep and be on the council as well?
21:22 < Pirate_Joe> I was under the impression that when I accepted VC
        that made me no longer a rep.  That being said, I don't mind wearing
        many hats, just make me more stylish.
21:23 <@jokeefe> Mueller said Trump should be indicted, but he couldn’t
        do it because of DoJ rules.  So up to Congress to impeach or voters
        (sorta) to vote out of office.
21:24 <@jokeefe> Pirate_Joe, we don’t have that rule, but since there
        are two of you, it would be good for Malt to be there as well.
21:24 < Pirate_Joe> Ok, ty
21:24 < Malt> When?
21:25 <@jokeefe> Mondays 9-9:30pm
21:25 < Pirate_Joe> We meet Mondays at 9 pm Est
21:25 < Pirate_Joe> #uspp
21:25 <@jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements
21:25 <@jokeefe> Congress of Corrections - what’s the what, Malt?
21:26 < Malt> They have asked us to participate in a mass call tomorrow
21:26 < Malt> A phone zap
21:26 < Malt> Calling hotels to ask them not to work with the ACA
21:27 <@jokeefe> Works for me
21:27 <@jokeefe> Any update on the August 4th event?
21:28 < Malt> nope
21:29 <@jokeefe> ok to email our supporters this request?
21:31 < srevilak> Malt: what's the ACA?  Not affordable care act,
        I suspect
21:32 < Malt> The American corrections association
21:32 < srevilak> Ah, thx
21:32 < Malt> I'll write the call to action
21:32 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:34 <@jokeefe> so ok?
21:35 < Malt> Ok with me
21:36 <@jokeefe> any objections then?
21:36 < Pirate_Joe> nay
21:38 <@jokeefe> ok, then please send the email Malt. I’ll clone the
        past one and remove anything out of date and you can paste in your text
        and send it out
21:38 <@jokeefe> i’ll do that tonight
21:38 <@jokeefe> Projects
21:39 <@jokeefe> Regional Meetings
21:39 <@jokeefe> No update on Holyoke
21:39 < Pirate_Joe> Next one in Lowell then?
21:39 <@jokeefe> guess so
21:40 <@jokeefe> is the picnic at 2pm?
21:40 < Pirate_Joe> I was planning it to be less of a meeting and more
        of a party
21:40 < Pirate_Joe> There will be plenty of food and some choice bits
        of pirate drink
21:41 <@jokeefe> only three people have answered the survey
21:41 < Pirate_Joe> IE rum, grog and wines
21:41 < srevilak> The three survey respondents?
21:41 <@jokeefe> yes
21:41 < Pirate_Joe> Survey?
21:42 <@jokeefe>
        https://masspirates.org/blog/2019/07/18/party-conference-survey/
21:42 < srevilak> jokeefe: said "only three people have answered the
        survey".  I suggested they were rum, grog, and wines :)
21:42 <@jokeefe>
        https://masspirates.org/crew/forms/2019-pirate-party-conference-questionnaire
21:42 <@jokeefe> lol, srevilak
21:45 <@jokeefe> so fill out the survey soon
21:45 < Pirate_Joe> So, for the party on the 24th of August.....
21:46 < Pirate_Joe> I plan to start around 1 pm, food should arrive
        around 2 pm.
21:46 <@jokeefe> When will you kick us out?
21:46 < Pirate_Joe> I'll kick everyone out on the 25th ^.^
21:47 < Pirate_Joe> around noon.
21:47 < Pirate_Joe> lol
21:47 <@jokeefe> lol
21:48 < Malt> Nice
21:48 < Pirate_Joe> Boarding in Lowell is very cheap, esp on AirBnB
        so arrangements can easily be made if required. Worst case, there is a
        large Motel 8 nearby
21:48 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter - posted the one we recorded soon the
        day we recorded it. blog post is up. when to record the next one?
21:48 < srevilak> I'm free all weekend
21:49 < Pirate_Joe> For the Newsletter, I was hoping to post the event
        srevilak was in.
21:49 < Malt> I am out this weekend
21:49 < Pirate_Joe> Other than that, I'm headed on vacation with the
        family
21:50 < srevilak> Pirate_Joe: I may be able to get audio, if no objections
        from other attendees.  But just audio
21:50 < Pirate_Joe> There is plenty to discuss with the Mueller hearing
        and other factors going on.  Trump is calling this a huge win......
21:50 < Pirate_Joe> Audio is fine, just post the picture as our flag.
21:50 <@jokeefe> that we can do
21:51 <@jokeefe> let’s keep in touch srevilak
21:51 < Malt> Who gives a shit what trump says?
21:51 < Malt> Of course he'll call this a win
21:51 < Pirate_Joe> I have both my kids all weekend, so I did not want
        to repeat what happened last time. I was just too distracted.
21:52 <@jokeefe> it went well
21:52 <@jokeefe> Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) - cctv.masspirates.org is
        back up
21:52 <@jokeefe> Next meeting is August 10th
21:53 < srevilak> thank you jokeefe, for the care and feeding of cctv
21:53 < Malt> Neat
21:53 <@jokeefe> Should have noticed it earlier
21:53 <@jokeefe> CASE Act text:
21:54 <@jokeefe> This is what I have:
21:54 <@jokeefe> Say No to the CASE Act!
21:55 < Malt> Good start
21:56 <@jokeefe> On July 18th, the Senate Judiciary
        Committee marked up and voted out of committee the <a
        href="https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/1273">Copyright
        Alternative in Small-Claims Enforcement Act of 2019</a> (<a
        href="https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/2426/">CASE
        Act</a>). This bill would create within the Copyright Office a Copyright
        Claims Board which would have the ability to hear claims of copyright
        infringeme
21:56 <@jokeefe> and award damages up to $30,000.
21:56 <@jokeefe> This law is supposed to be an easier way for
        photographers and other artists to gain recompense when they claim their
        copyrights were infringed.  However, it will only make it easier for <a
        href="https://fstoppers.com/legal/photographer-legal-battle-over-unsplash-image-after-user-uploaded-image-photo-390211">copyright
        trolls</a>.
21:56 <@jokeefe> The bill gets around requiring copyright suits to appear
        in federal courts by allowing anyone sued via this board the ability to
        opt out of their proceedings. We don't expect the opt out process will be
        easy, especially if since they only have 60 days to opt out.  DMCA take
        down notices are difficult to challenge and already easily abused. Once
        people face monetary damage notifications sent by a government agency,
        we fully expect many to buckle.
21:56 <@jokeefe> Under the existing system, anyone suing for copyright
        infringement can expect large legal bills, low judgements and a chance
        they will fail.  Unless the infringer is a corporation, it seldom makes
        sense to file a suite.
21:56 <@jokeefe> By creating a Copyright Claims Board, likely stacked
        with lawyers who favor copyright over our right to free speech, the
        government makes it easier for copyright trolls simply by increasing
        the likelihood that a plaintiff will win. Copyright trolls will have an
        incentive to file as many suits as they can in the hope that many will
        be too poor to opt out and will choose the take the judgement of the
        Copyright Claims Board. More people will be sued for
21:56 <@jokeefe> sharing photographs, music and memes
        whether they infringed on someone's copyright or <a
        href="https://ilt.eff.org/Copyright__Fair_Use.html">exercised their
        right to fair use</a>.
21:56 <@jokeefe> Tell Senators Warren and Markey you oppose the CASE
        Act and don't want the Copyright Office to run a small claims court that
        will help copyright trolls.  Call them today:
21:56 <@jokeefe> * Senator Warren:<strong> <a rel="noreferrer noopener"
        href="tel:%28202%29-224-4543" target="_blank">(202)-224-4543</a></strong>
21:56 <@jokeefe> * Senator Markey: <strong><a rel="noreferrer noopener"
        href="tel:%28202%29-224-2742" target="_blank">(202)-224-2742</a></strong>
21:57 <@jokeefe> Sorry, wordpress copy/paste included all markup
21:57 <@jokeefe> any changes?
21:58 < srevilak> That looks good to me
21:58 < Pirate_Joe> ^
21:59 < Malt> I like how you spelled out how it would be abused
21:59 <@jokeefe> Really tried not to just copy EFF.
22:00 < srevilak> agree with Malt
22:00 <@jokeefe> thanks
22:00 <@jokeefe> I’ll post it and put it in the email for malt
22:01 <@jokeefe> that is all I have, anything else?
22:01 <@jokeefe> MassMesh - tech side is coming along. working on speeding
        up the exit nodes
22:02 <@jokeefe> working on building a coop
22:02 < Pirate_Joe> Aye
22:02 < Pirate_Joe> I have one more then to discuss before we adjourn
22:03 < Malt> Oh?
22:03 <@jokeefe> ok
22:03 < Pirate_Joe> We currently have a tabled project, 5.1 Boston Sex
        Worker Petition
22:03 <@jokeefe> Time to end it?
22:04 < Pirate_Joe> After doing significant research in the matter as
        well as contacting a few of these groups, it seems that none of them
        want this issue address or resolved.
22:04 < Malt> Oh! Next Monday I've got a juggalo open mic to read
        erotica at
22:04 < Pirate_Joe> Though I support it, I think this is far from
        something we should be focused on.
22:05 < srevilak> Malt: at where?
22:05 < Pirate_Joe> I would have felt better scrubbing it if a certain
        someone was here but I think we should remove it all the same.
22:05 < Malt> Nick's bar Worcester
22:05 < Pirate_Joe> Motion to remove 5.1 from the projects list.
22:05 < Malt> Shall we ping Desmond about it?
22:06 < srevilak> Agree with pinging Desmond
22:06 <@jokeefe> Let’s defer one to the next meeting and ask Desmond
        if we can end it.
22:06 <@jokeefe> just my thought
22:06 < srevilak> motion to adjourn?
22:06 < Pirate_Joe> It would feel better to have Desmond involved in
        scrubbing it, for sure.
22:07 < Pirate_Joe> 2nd srevilak's motion
22:07 < srevilak> all in favor?
22:07 < Pirate_Joe> aye
22:07 < srevilak> ayes
22:07 < Malt> Aye
22:07 <@jokeefe> aye
22:07 < srevilak> will post transcript
22:07 <@jokeefe> thanks