July 25th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017

S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 would add expand the definition of “financial institution” in 31 U.S. Code § 5312 - Definitions and application to include an issuer, redeemer, or cashier of digital currencies. This would allow them to monitor Bitcoin exchanges and the like.

Projects

Pirate Picnic

Scheduled for August 19th, near Parkman Bandstand on Boston Common. Schedule:

  • noon-1pm: food and training;
  • 1pm-2:30pm: map cameras;
  • 2:30pm-3:30pm: come back and debrief.

Planning Pad

To Do:

  • blog post
  • email
  • Facebook event
  • Other events
  • Email act-ma
  • make poster
  • put up posters
  • write how-tos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Need a write up so we can put the word out (Malt)

Other To Dos

  • Review regular IRC meeting day. Poll sent to email list (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • email/post about support of Internet-wid Day of Action to Save Net Neutrality
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)

Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use.

Fundraiser

Upcoming Events

  • 7/26, Somerville cryptoparty, 6-9pm, The Sprouts
  • 7/27, Fixit event in JP
  • 8/19, noon-3:30pm, Pirate Picnic/Surveillance Camera Mapping Outing, Boston Common, Boston
  • Sept., South Boston public library cryptoparty

See: 2017 calendar

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell

Observers

  • davidd
  • igel
  • papegaai

Summary

Agreed to oppose S.1241. Joe will write a statement. Will show it to other states/national to get them to sign on.

Picnic announced. Continuing preparations.

Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use for intra-party communication.

Having a fundraiser on a boat would be prohibitively expensive. Would be good to have a fundraiser before the November city elections and tie it to voter registration.

Minutes

 
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_25th,_2017_IRC_Meeting
[9:08pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:08pm] papegaai: Title: July 25th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org)
[9:08pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:08pm] Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:08pm] Joe: Yes
[9:09pm] Joe: Information about the boat party.
[9:09pm] Joe: We may want to not start on a boat.
[9:09pm] Joe: Can we discuss it at the end?
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Sure
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:11pm] jokeefe: S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017
[9:12pm] Joe: This bill is written up as a fairly standard wording amendment.
[9:12pm] jokeefe: how does it look to you?
[9:12pm] Joe: For the most part, the spirit of this bill is understandable.  There are a few major problems with it though.
[9:13pm] Joe: The first is in Section 9, where they focus on Hawalas, which is a middle-eastern form of brokers.
[9:14pm] Joe: It seems like an over reach of the law to put down practices of foreign lands but it's one that will be difficult to enforce.
[9:15pm] Joe: The next section of issue is section 13, which is on Prepaid and digital currency. This is the section that is getting all the hype and is how I found out about it.
[9:17pm] Joe: I idea is solid but unfortunately the wording of it will be a problem. In essence, if I was to buy a prepaid phone and give it to you in exchange for you painting my house without reporting it, then we would be breaching the law.
[9:18pm] Joe: It could be used to put a halt on prepaid cards, but that's only if it's in connection with a crime ring.  So that part is not as big of an issue as I thought it would be.
[9:18pm] Joe: Section 15 is much different though.
[9:19pm] jokeefe: There is no minimum amount of dollars before Section 13 applies?
[9:19pm] Joe: No
[9:20pm] Joe: That's the wording problem
[9:20pm] Joe: Though I doubt anyone would care much unless it's over 10k
[9:21pm] Joe: In section 15, it gives law enforcement the right to demand all information and assets, foreign or domestic. If the bank fails to comply it will be fined 250 k per incident.
[9:21pm] Joe: Even if the money was not on US soil.
[9:22pm] Joe: Section 17 allows for the Secret Service to have all the right as the Treasury now instead.
[9:22pm] Joe: But I saved the best for last.
[9:23pm] Joe: And the real reason we need to actually fight this bill.;
[9:23pm] Joe: SEC. 20. RULE OF CONSTRUCTION. Nothing in this Act, or any amendment made by this Act, shall be construed to apply to the authorized law enforcement, protective, or intelligence activities of the United States or of an intelligence agency of the United States.
[9:24pm] Joe: According to this, law enforcement and/or the US intel does not have to comply with such regulations as set forth in the money laundering and thus are free to do such activities.
[9:25pm] Joe: Unless I am reading this wrong, which I could be.
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Your assessment sounds accurate
[9:28pm] Joe: This bill has been read twice now and is with the committee. We could contact one of the committee members to try and sway them.
[9:29pm] jokeefe: Any MA Congress people on the committee?
[9:29pm] Joe: It would be a good time to make the needed changes.  The big reason this bill caught my attention was not as big of an issue as the other points I found.
[9:30pm] Joe: Let me check really quick
[9:31pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:31pm] Joe: https://judiciary.house.gov/subcommittee/full-committee/
[9:31pm] papegaai: Title: House Judiciary CommitteeFull Committee Archives - House Judiciary Committee (at judiciary.house.gov)
[9:32pm] Joe: No one from MA
[9:33pm] jokeefe: This section also looks questionable:
[9:33pm] jokeefe: (2) CIVIL FORFEITURE.—
[9:33pm] jokeefe: “(A) IN GENERAL.—Any property involved in a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or a conspiracy to commit such violation, and any property traceable thereto may be seized and forfeited to the United States.
[9:33pm] jokeefe: “(B) PROCEDURE.—Seizures and forfeitures under this paragraph shall be governed by the provisions of chapter 46 of title 18, relating to civil forfeitures, except that such duties, under the customs laws described in section 981(d) of title 18 given to the Secretary of the Treasury shall be performed by such officers, agents, and other persons as may be designated for that purpose by the Secretary of Homeland Security or the Attorney General.
[9:34pm] Joe: Yeah, that's in section 15, correct?
[9:34pm] Joe: I am generally against eminent domain of any type.
[9:35pm] jokeefe: It is in 18 and 19
[9:35pm] Joe: Which is a regular practice in law enforcement.
[9:35pm] jokeefe: unfortunately
[9:36pm] jokeefe: civil forfeiture applies if you conceal source of assets
[9:36pm] jokeefe: or ownership
[9:37pm] jokeefe: Do you recomment opposing?
[9:37pm] Joe: Yes, good catch Captain, I must have overlooked it since it's very similar to section 15.
[9:38pm] Joe: Concealment of assets is a crime, however they already have tax evasion laws spelled out. This would allow them to take all your assets in addition to the fines and jail time.  It's a bit over the top.
[9:38pm] jokeefe: seems to be
[9:39pm] jokeefe: I agree with opposing it
[9:39pm] Joe: Yeah, sorry I did not give a simple answer.
[9:40pm] Joe: This bill does state one good thing.
[9:41pm] Joe: Section 16 does extend Danger pay.
[9:41pm] jokeefe: seems out of place in the rest of the bill
[9:41pm] Joe: So those risking life and limb get paid to do so, which I do support.
[9:42pm] Joe: It is and it is not. This is an amendment bill, so this sort of thing is fairly common place.
[9:43pm] Joe: Most of the people looking at this will just see a bunch of small word changes.
[9:43pm] jokeefe: thanks for clarifying
[9:43pm] jokeefe: So do you want to oppose it?
[9:44pm] Joe: I doubt you need the clarification sir.  You are better at this than I am.
[9:44pm] Joe: The bill at a whole, I think we should.  Section 16 not really.
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Your attention to detail is very helpful
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Would you write up a statement on it, especially with what people need to do to oppose it?
[9:45pm] Joe: The devil is in the details. They often pass bad things that will hurt everyone if your not paying attention.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: or even if people are paying attention
[9:46pm] Joe: If we could, I would request that this be brought forth to the national party for additional support.  We will need to approach all the people on the committee to get them to see the problems with this bill.
[9:47pm] Joe: It would be different if we had someone from MA to support us.
[9:47pm] Joe: That was a good call.
[9:48pm] jokeefe: it would be helpful if there was someone from MA on the committee
[9:48pm] jokeefe: If we have a statement, we can ask the other parties to sign on
[9:49pm] Joe: Ok, I would draft a letter of intent of our opposition and why we need a call to action on this bill. I would also move to put it on Change.org
[9:50pm] Joe: Correction: put it on Change.org after we have an approved letter.
[9:51pm] jokeefe: sounds good
[9:51pm] jokeefe: thank you
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Pirate Picnic - email/blog post is out
[9:53pm] jokeefe: More to do
[9:53pm] Joe: I'll get to the letter asap. I hope to have it to you at next weeks meeting.  Will that be ok do I need to get it done sooner?
[9:54pm] Joe: I saw it, I'm excited.
[9:54pm] jokeefe: how fast is the bill moving?
[9:55pm] jokeefe: no committee hearing
[9:55pm] jokeefe: I think next week is fine
[9:55pm] Joe: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1241/text#toc-idCF2B3955A9F145DB86B93851A941F78C
[9:55pm] papegaai: Title: Text - S.1241 - 115th Congress (2017-2018): Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress (at www.congress.gov)
[9:56pm] Joe: Ok, great.
[9:56pm] jokeefe: Looks like Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use. Will should try it out
[9:56pm] jokeefe: Want to update on the fundraiser?
[9:57pm] Joe: Sorry?
[9:58pm] Joe: On the discourse, I would be interested in trying it.
[9:58pm] Joe: As far as the fundraiser, missed something on that.
[9:59pm] jokeefe: you wanted to update on the boat party
[9:59pm] Joe: Ah, yes.
[9:59pm] Joe: I think it will be exceptionally cost prohibitive.
[10:00pm] jokeefe: Well, we can go with a pirate theme at a less expensive site
[10:00pm] jokeefe: thanks for the update
[10:00pm] jokeefe: shall we adjourn?
[10:01pm] Joe: We could get it at the end of the season but it would still be 8.4 k for the day (6 hours) or 1.4k per hour. Holds 110 people but we would have it docked.
[10:01pm] Joe: One quick point before we adjourn?
[10:02pm] jokeefe: sure
[10:02pm] Joe: Is everything ok, since we are the only two people here.
[10:02pm] Joe: ?
[10:02pm] jokeefe: That would be expensive
[10:03pm] Joe: I could make it in to a major event for the city but I would have to work with Boston city hall.
[10:04pm] jokeefe: Need to be more proactive about reminding people. Hopefully poll will find a better time.
[10:04pm] Joe: We could do it as a drive for voter registration right before the elections.
[10:04pm] Joe: Ok, that's all I have for now. Thanks for taking the extra time.
[10:05pm] jokeefe: Good idea on the timing.
[10:05pm] jokeefe: Thanks for looking into the boat and reading up on the bill
[10:05pm] Joe: I second
[10:07pm] jokeefe: Thanks. Have a good night!
[10:07pm] Joe: You too Jamie