July 26th, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Aaron James Campaign

Going door-to-door on Saturday, 7/31, 4pm.

Events to Participate In

Upcoming Events

  1. 7/27, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  2. 8/7, (noon ferry), Pirate Picnic, Georges Island. Planning
  3. 8/27, Boston Public Library Crytoparty
  4. 8/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  5. 9/17-18, Freedom Rally
  6. 9/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  7. Democracy/IT meeting
  8. WMass Cryptoparty
  9. How to file a FOIA request by Maya Shaffer

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11am-12:30pm, Tatte Bakery & Cafe, 101 Main Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer in Highland Park, MI)

Observers

  • papegaai
  • davidd
  • igel_
  • Velveeta_Chef

Summary

HOPE Conference. Nice turnout for H and BenC's cryptoparty. Did a 90 minute spot on Radio Statler. Partial recording at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKmzMx5cd8. ~20 people came to Jamie's (unscheduled) talk on CCTV camera mapping. Had a talk with someone who was planning to organize a pirate party in SFO -- he had some interesting ideas for local organizing: advocate Free software to safe on licensing costs, and use public records requests to expose corruption. Like Massachusetts, SFO has a one-party system.

IPT response. We discuss draft copy of the response, and apply some minor edits. Steve will submit response later this week.

Aaron James campaign will be door-knocking Saturday at 4pm. https://www.facebook.com/events/496359393903288/. Meet at Diesel Café in davis square.

Pirate picnic. Steve will create Civi event on crew.

Latest on Housatonic River and PCBs: https://www.facebook.com/HousatonicRiverInitiative/

Minutes

 
21:02 < jokeefe> agenda
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_26th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:03 < jokeefe> ids
21:03 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:05 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:07 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:08 < jokeefe> Review
21:08 < jokeefe> HOPE Conference
21:09 < srevilak> H and BenC's cryptoparty had a nice turnout, along
        with jokeefe's talk on cctv mapping
21:09 < srevilak> And we spent 90 minutes on the air at Radio Statler
21:10 < srevilak> During closing ceremony, one of the fellows from Radio
        statler gave us a mention
21:10 < srevilak> "We had the Massachusetts Pirate Party on the
        Air!" (applause)
21:12 < jokeefe> Did you see H’s talk?
21:13 < srevilak> yes, was there for a good part of it
21:13 < srevilak>
        https://twitter.com/RadioStatler/status/756952964590436353
21:13 <@papegaai> Title: Radio Statler! op Twitter: "Live video from the
        Pirate Party interview in the @hopeconf booth! https://t.co/Ct3CD3UouY"
        (at twitter.com)
21:13 < jokeefe> I counted about 20 people at the talk I gave on Sunday.
21:14 < jokeefe> I think it would be good to have a Pirate talk at the
        2018 HOPE
21:14 < srevilak> Yes, it was pretty good for an unscheduled talk
21:14 < srevilak> ah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKmzMx5cd8
21:14 <@papegaai> Title: Radio Statler Live Stream - HOPE XI - YouTube
        (at www.youtube.com)
21:14 < srevilak> That's us
21:15 < srevilak> hi Kendra
21:15 < jokeefe> thanks, srevilak
21:15 < jokeefe> ahoy
21:15 < Kendra> HI, Kendra Moyer in Highland Park, MI
21:16 < srevilak> https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_26th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:16 <@papegaai> Title: July 26th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:16 < srevilak> we're doing a review of hope
21:16 < jokeefe> on the cctv mapping project, it looks like BORDC has
        their own.  I reached out to them.
21:18 < jokeefe> IPT response - https://pad.riseup.net/p/mapp-ipt-response
21:19 <@papegaai> Title: Riseup Pad (at pad.riseup.net)
21:19 < jokeefe> made one change
21:19 < srevilak> changes are good.  Esp. the kinds of changes that are
        improvements :)
21:21 < srevilak> If the general gist is okay, I'll turn it into a PDF,
        make it look pretty, and email to IPT later this week.
21:22 < jokeefe> looks fine to me
21:23 < srevilak> I read the entire judgement while riding home.
        Was slightly amused that the subjects of the tribunal were concerned
        about having to deal with the number of respondents.
21:23 < srevilak> There were only ~ 663 respondents.
21:24 < jokeefe> seriously?
21:24 < jokeefe> wow
21:25 < jokeefe> any other comments?
21:26 < Kendra> It looks ok to me
21:27 < jokeefe> ahoy
21:27 < MosesMPP> blah, ayoy all - rural internets a bummer
21:27 < srevilak> Check out paragraph 35.  UK Govt called it a "fishing
        expedition"
21:27 < Bluestreak> Thanks for wrting that.
21:27 < srevilak> hi MosesMPP
21:27 < srevilak> agenda:
21:27 < srevilak> https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_26th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:27 <@papegaai> Title: July 26th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:28 < srevilak> We're discussing IPT response:
        https://pad.riseup.net/p/mapp-ipt-response
21:28 <@papegaai> Title: Riseup Pad (at pad.riseup.net)
21:28 < MosesMPP> reading it over
21:29 < srevilak> Actually, I should have said 663 claimants.  GCHQ is
        the respondent
21:30 < srevilak> Paragraph 40 is also interesting.  Appears that
        surveilling millions of people is not a burden, but responding to 663
        that are concerned about surveillance is a burden
21:30 < MosesMPP> love it so far
21:31 < srevilak> Thanks MosesMPP
21:32 < jokeefe> if no other comments, then you should be all set sending
        it srevilak
21:33 < srevilak>  jokeefe: will do
21:33 < MosesMPP> how do i do that?
21:33 < MosesMPP> oh nvm
21:34 < jokeefe> Aaron James is going door-to-door on Saturday 4pm.
        details at https://www.facebook.com/events/496359393903288/
21:34 <@papegaai> Title: End of July Canvassing (at www.facebook.com)
21:35 < Bluestreak> Sigh. Funeral. Someone important died.
21:36 < Bluestreak> Still, clicked “going"
21:38 < jokeefe> Pirate Picnic - have 5-7 people, and 31 interested in FB.
        srevilak, would you be able put together a sign up sheet at crew?
21:38 < srevilak> jokeefe: sure.  Will do tomorrow night
21:38 < jokeefe> we have the pad.  just use that?  more public
21:39 < srevilak> either way is fine with me
21:41 < jokeefe> lets have a sign up sheet
21:41 < jokeefe> thanks for putting it up
21:41 < srevilak> okay.  Will email when it's ready
21:42 < jokeefe> thanks
21:42 < Bluestreak> Ugh… trying to listen to Radio/video…
21:43 < Bluestreak> Incomprehensible
21:43 < jokeefe> we had an interesting talk with one of the organizers
        in SF
21:43 < jokeefe> he had some interesting ideas for how to organize
21:43 < jokeefe> for local organizing
21:43 < Bluestreak> OH?
21:43 < Bluestreak> Do tell
21:44 < jokeefe> focusing on promoting free software as a way to save
        money, open up documents
21:44 < jokeefe> and using FOIA to id corruption
21:48 < jokeefe> MosesMPP, how is the fight against GE?
21:49 < MosesMPP> alls quiet on the western mass front I'm afraid
21:51 < jokeefe> dang
21:51 < jokeefe> that is all I have.  anything else?
21:51 < MosesMPP> https://www.facebook.com/HousatonicRiverInitiative/
        for those the 'books
21:51 <@papegaai> Title: Housatonic River Initiative (at www.facebook.com)
21:52 < jokeefe> thanks
21:53 < Kendra> motion to adjourn
21:53 < jokeefe> 2nd
21:53 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:53 < Kendra> aye
21:53 < srevilak> aye
21:53 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:53 < Kendra> nite all