July 31st, 2019 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

National Party

Decisions/Endorsements

Congress of Corrections Protest

Boston is hosting the Congress of Corrections, Aug 1-6. It will be at the Hynes Convention Center, Halls C&D. It is sponsored by private prison and ICE detention investors.

Projects

Goals for Q2:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize election
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings

Leader:

Video Newsletter

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording?

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

July 13th Meeting

  • srevilak updated blog theme. jokeefe and srevilak corrected any items that were wrong as a result of the update;
  • jokeefe updated our Riot/Matrix client to the latest stable version. Started work on a splash page for discuss.masspirates.org.
  • srevilak & jokeefe tested camera / microphone setup and figured out that the reason the recording was so soft in the video we took at the Pirate Planning Picnic was that the speakers were too far away from the microphones.

jokeefe noticed that our CCTV camera map no longer shows the locations of cameras. Fixed.

Next meeting will be August 10th. Topics are:

  • find discussion/voting system;
  • update CCTV cameras to include older cameras outside North America we didn't include;
  • write an app to record the location/ownership of CCTV cameras;
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds);
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak).

Tasks

Statement on Alabama/Ohio/Georgia Abortion ban bills/laws

Fight bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

H.2419 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. jokeefe will submit testimony.

National Platform reform/remake

Tabled Projects

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Non-pirate guest speakers for Pirate News

CCTV camera map

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Video Newsletter guest speakers

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 8/6, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, Cambridge
  • 8/10, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, Arlington
  • 8/13, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  • 8/20, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 8/24, Lowell Pirate Picnic, Lowell
  • 8/27, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 8/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts
  •  ?, ?, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Board Room, Holyoke Public Library, Holyoke
  • 9/3, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting

Participants

Observers

  • bonelesspepsi
  • davidd
  • hvxgr
  • MikaelaSuomalainen
  • mikey

Summary

Minutes

 
21:03 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_31st,_2019_IRC_Meeting
21:03 <@jokeefe> ids
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:04 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:04 < malt> sam capradae, worcester
21:05 <@jokeefe> Anything to add?
21:05 < malt> nyet
21:06 <@jokeefe> Review - National Party - they had a election, but I
        haven’t heard how it went
21:06 <@jokeefe> did you go malt?
21:07 < malt> i did not
21:07 <@jokeefe> ok. will ask for the notes
21:07 <@jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements
21:07 < malt> mondays are usually busy for me
21:08 <@jokeefe> good to kmow. you should mention that on the national
        email list and we can see if we can change it
21:08 <@jokeefe> Congress of Corrections Protest on the 4th
21:09 <@jokeefe> malt posted on the blog. email is out. meet before to
        make signs?
21:10 < malt> they want folk on the steps of the library by 1
21:10 < malt> i think we could show up with supplies, yeah
21:11 < malt> oh, like, days before
21:11 < malt> right
21:11 < malt> pfft
21:11 <@jokeefe> or just before
21:11 <@jokeefe> that day
21:11 <@jokeefe> I can bring poster boards and markers
21:12 < malt> i just wouldn't want us to be loaded down with unused
        stuff is all
21:12 < malt> there's no permit so the chances of adverse police
        response are
21:12 < malt> elevated
21:13 <@jokeefe> I could print out some paper signs and bring smaller
        poster board to put them on
21:13  * srevilak is likely to have both hands full with percussion
21:15 <@jokeefe> have back pack, will travel
21:15 < malt> are y'all going to be parking nearby? we could meet by a
        car and leave the stuff there
21:15 < malt> i'm likely to take the train in
21:15 <@jokeefe> will plan to show up at 1pm.
21:16 <@jokeefe> would either of you be able to call/txt people?
21:17 < srevilak> Can try to email a few
21:18 <@jokeefe> thanks. I’ll get Somerville/Cambridge.  If you could
        get Arlington and other communities, that would be great
21:19 < srevilak> ok
21:19 <@jokeefe> thank you
21:20 <@jokeefe> Projects
21:20 <@jokeefe> Regional Meetings
21:21 <@jokeefe> reminder to please fill out the survey
21:21 <@jokeefe> 8/24 Lowell Pirate Picnic is looking like it will be
        a fun time
21:22 < malt> sadly i think i have a parenting class that day :-/
21:22 <@jokeefe> dang. sounds more important. congratulations
21:23 < srevilak> I will be in ME that weekend
21:23 < malt> thanks! got infant CPR next week
21:24 <@jokeefe> will miss you both
21:25 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter - thanks for the pirate podcast,
        srevilak
21:25 <@jokeefe> I’ll record the protest Sunday and put it up
21:29 <@jokeefe> Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) - Been advertising the
        upcoming meeting on the 10th. will send our more reminders.
21:29 <@jokeefe> Statement on Alabama/Ohio/Georgia Abortion ban bills/laws
        - dropped the ball on this. will write it this weekend.
21:30 <@jokeefe> Boston Sex Worker Petition - haven’t touched base
        with Desmond. will send him an email
21:30 <@jokeefe> that it all I have.
21:30 <@jokeefe> trying not to pay attention to the debate. no good
        one liners
21:31 < malt> there's ANOTHER debate?
21:31 < malt> i'm gonna see who i can bring out on sunday, should have
        a few folk
21:32 <@jokeefe> yeah - Biden, Harris, Booker, Blasio, Gabbard, etc.
21:32 <@jokeefe> thanks, malt
21:33 <@jokeefe> if there is nothing else, shall we adjourn?
21:33 < srevilak> nothing else here
21:34 < malt> good with me
21:34 < srevilak> I'll motion to adjourn
21:34 <@jokeefe> 2nd
21:34 <@jokeefe> all in favor?
21:34 < srevilak> aye
21:35 <@jokeefe> aye
21:35 < malt> night pals see ya soon
21:35 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:35 <@jokeefe> good night!