July 3rd, 2019 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Planning Picnic

Somerville Cryptoparty

Mass Mesh Net

Decisions/Endorsements

Support Ranked Choice Voting Lobby Day on July 16?

Voter Choice MA has several bills proposed:

  • RCV Local Options bill (S.420/H.635) make it easier for municipalities to adopt RCV without having to go through the Legislature for approval;
  • State and Federal RCV Bill (S.414/H.719)

They are having a lobby day on July 16th. Suggest we support it since we support RCV/IRV.

Platform

Projects

Goals for Q2:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize election
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings

Leader:

Video Newsletter

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording?

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

  • meeting scheduled July 13th, 11am-1pm, Arlington
  • update blog theme
  • find discussion/voting system
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Tasks

Statement on Alabama/Ohio/Georgia Abortion ban bills/laws

Fight bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

HD388 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. There isn't a hearing date for it yet.

Action items:

  • Tell our supporters how to oppose it
  • Look out for a hearing date
  • If possible, reach out to other groups to organize a lobby day

National Platform reform/remake

Tabled Projects

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Non-pirate guest speakers for Pirate News

CCTV camera map

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Video Newsletter guest speakers

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 7/8, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 7/13, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, Arlington
  • 7/15, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 7/22, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 7/29, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 7/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts
  •  ?, ?, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Board Room, Holyoke Public Library, Holyoke

Participants

  • jokeefe
  • DesmondRavenston
  • srevilak
  • Pirate_Joe

Observers

  • bonelesspepsi
  • davidd
  • hvxgr
  • hvxgr_
  • MikaelaSuomalainen
  • igel[m]

Summary

Vote to support Voter Choice MA's ranked choice voting lobby day.

Minutes

 
21:08 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_3rd,_2019_IRC_Meeting
21:08 <@jokeefe> ids
21:08 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:08 < srevilak> Steve Revilak
21:08 < DesmondRavenstone> DesmondRavenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
21:10 <@jokeefe> Review
21:10 <@jokeefe> Planning Picnic
21:11 < srevilak> it rained
21:11 < DesmondRavenstone> But we were inside so … it wasn't all wet
21:12 <@jokeefe> that it was
21:12 <@jokeefe> video is up, but audio needs work.
21:13 < srevilak> will try to take a look at that tomorrow
21:13 <@jokeefe> if you can, that would be great.
21:13 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:14 <@jokeefe> i posted the notes at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_30th,_2019_Planning_Picnic
21:14 <@jokeefe> Add anything you think I missed
21:16 <@jokeefe> Somerville Cryptoparty was sparsely attended
        unfortunately, but we have a plan for the next one on July 31st.
21:18 < DesmondRavenstone> Whoops! A hiccup there
21:18 <@jokeefe> it happens
21:18 < Pirate_Joe> Ahoy!
21:18 < DesmondRavenstone> Ahoy Pirate_Joe
21:18 < Pirate_Joe> Sorry for the delay
21:18 <@jokeefe> ahoy
21:19 <@jokeefe> Mass Mesh Net - making progress on a cheaper alternative
        using raspberry pis
21:19 < Pirate_Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:19 <@jokeefe> they are looking at forming a coop
21:20 <@jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements
21:20 <@jokeefe> There is a Ranked Choice Voting Lobby Day on July
16. Should we urge our supporters to participate in it?
21:21 < DesmondRavenstone> Aye!
21:21 < Pirate_Joe> Aye
21:21 < srevilak> who's supporting the lobby day?
21:22 <@jokeefe> Voter Choice MA
21:22 < srevilak> just curious
21:22 < srevilak> In favor of supporting
21:22 <@jokeefe> aye
21:22 < DesmondRavenstone> Aye
21:22 <@jokeefe> any opposed?
21:23 < DesmondRavenstone> Looks like the ayes have it
21:24 <@jokeefe> So it does. Will add it to Friday’s email newsletter
21:24 < DesmondRavenstone> :)
21:25 <@jokeefe> Platform
21:26 < Pirate_Joe> Platform is currently a major issue at the national
        level. Any discussion we can bring up the meeting after the next would
        be helpful
21:26 < DesmondRavenstone> Pirate_Joe any inkling as to natl's stance
        on sex worker rights?
21:26 <@jokeefe> The topics in
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/March_10th,_2019_Boston_Regional_Meeting
        are a good start
21:27 < Pirate_Joe> So anything we feel firmly about would be a good
        standing point to go on.
21:27 <@jokeefe> What should we add to “What would we implement in
        our first 100 days of achieving power?”
21:27 < Pirate_Joe> Increase technology in the classrooms and bring
        financial education up as well
21:27 < DesmondRavenstone> Also … We might consider inviting folks to
        a more in-depth discussion of jobs guarantee, basic income guarantee,
        and similar proposals
21:29 < srevilak> First 100 days?  In MA, 40A should get a rewrite
21:29 < DesmondRavenstone> 40A ??
21:29 < srevilak> Zoning enabling act
21:29  * srevilak is involved with a lot of housing stuff lately
21:29 <@jokeefe> What to add/remove?
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> revoke foista, patriot act
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> make the law accountable again.
21:30 < srevilak> There are instances where I'd like to remove the 2/3's
        threshold for local zoning changes.
21:30 <@jokeefe> Ban state and local police from sharing with Feds. Close
        fusion centers or end participation in them?
21:31 < Pirate_Joe> make all police action public knowledge unless an
        active case?
21:31 < srevilak> And, I'd want to establish county-level planning boards,
        with authority to actually do stuff
21:31 <@jokeefe> For schools, start teaching collective decision making
        and forming cooperatives
21:31 < DesmondRavenstone> More specific, consensus process
21:32 <@jokeefe> Pirate_Joe: I think we have everything is available
        unless it deals with privacy of individuals
21:32 < Pirate_Joe> not everything, I would like access to body cams
        as well
21:32 <@jokeefe> I wouldn’t limit it to just consensus personally.
21:32 < DesmondRavenstone> Keep in mind, folks, people latch onto general
        ideas that appeal to certain values and interests -- things they can
        "wrap their heads around"
21:33 < DesmondRavenstone> Get too technical/specific, they blank out
        or see us as "policy wonks"
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> sac b
21:33 <@jokeefe> srevilak, we can add county planning boards to:
21:33 <@jokeefe> What would we implement longer term?
21:33 <@jokeefe> Decentralize federal/state government to county/regions
        and municipalities
21:33 <@jokeefe> Reconstitute county governments to make them elected
        and able to solve regional problems
21:34 < Pirate_Joe> ....start by revoking the laws by which our rights
        have been stripped away
21:34 < srevilak> jokeefe: that works for me
21:34 <@jokeefe> DesmondRavenstone - good to have the platform summary
        and more detailed documents
21:35 < DesmondRavenstone> I th
21:35 -!- DesmondRavenstone [~DesmondRa@gateway/webchat] has left
        #masspirates []
21:36 <@jokeefe> Agreed, Pirate_Joe, but we need to enumerate which laws
        those are so we know which to remove.
21:37 < Pirate_Joe> Well, start with Fiosta and the patriot act and we
        can work back as we go.  I'm sure just repealing those two will let them
        know we mean business.
21:38 <@jokeefe> A great start.
21:38 < Pirate_Joe> I think that will be the point.
21:39 < Pirate_Joe> Fully restoring due process will be a thing
21:39 <@jokeefe> I’ll take what is in the Boston document and put it
        in a shared document we can comment on and edit.
21:40 <@jokeefe> probably on the wiki. we can use the discussion section
        to discuss wording
21:40 < Pirate_Joe> Also send to list?
21:42 <@jokeefe> of course
21:42 <@jokeefe> Move on to Projects?
21:44 <@jokeefe> Regional Meetings - No update from me. Pirate_Joe, what
        are the details for the Lowell outing? I’ll put it in Friday’s email.
21:45 < Pirate_Joe> Unfortunately I have yet to lock down a cater.
        Checking to make sure I can have to right time.  I have August 24 locked
        in though.
21:45 <@jokeefe> We could do it as potluck.
21:46 < Pirate_Joe> We could
21:46 <@jokeefe> I would be happy to bring a dish.
21:46 < Pirate_Joe> It's at my place, so it will have a grill at least.
21:47 < Pirate_Joe> Probably a keg.
21:47 <@jokeefe> Whatever time works for you
21:48 < Pirate_Joe> I am trying for 2 pm to 6 pm for the service, and
        we should have plenty to eat and drink after that.
21:48 < Pirate_Joe> So 2 pm on.
21:49 < Pirate_Joe> Worst case situation is that we will be eating a
        lot of Chinese food.
21:49 <@jokeefe> great. Will create a sign up form too asking what people
        can bring.
21:49 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter - When to record next one?
21:50 < Pirate_Joe> This Sunday my morning will be very difficult
        to focus.  Perhaps in the evening?
21:50 < Pirate_Joe> Or without me?
21:51 < Pirate_Joe> Everyone is talking about the detention camps at
        the border
21:51 < Pirate_Joe> Low hanging fruit in my opinion
21:52 <@jokeefe> true that
21:52 <@jokeefe> might help if we didn’t help coups in Central American
        countries
21:53 <@jokeefe> how about I email the list and see what works for people.
21:53 < Pirate_Joe> or at least then rebuild them proper?
21:53 < Pirate_Joe> support them like we should.
21:55 < Pirate_Joe> sounds good
21:55 <@jokeefe> ok.
21:55 <@jokeefe> Tech meeting is still the 13th.
21:55 <@jokeefe> I invited some of the mass mesh folks to come and test
        their hardware at it.
21:56 <@jokeefe> Anything to else to add?
21:56 < Pirate_Joe> I don't have much atm. Trying to get caught up on
        all I agreed to do.
21:56 <@jokeefe> srevilak?
21:57 < srevilak> for tech meeting -- wordpress theme upgrade
21:58 <@jokeefe> woo hoo!
21:58 <@jokeefe> we are at time then. shall we adjourn?
21:59 < Pirate_Joe> 2nd
21:59 <@jokeefe> all in favor?
21:59 < Pirate_Joe> Aye
21:59 < srevilak> aye
21:59 <@jokeefe> aye
21:59 <@jokeefe> have a great night!
21:59 < Pirate_Joe> Happy 4th!