July 5th, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review & Welcome

Organization Stuff

  • Help Moses get up to speed
  • Finding new folks
    • Really need someone to coordinate volunteers

Aaron James Campaign

Cryptoparties

  • Somerville Public Library, July 14th, noon-4:45pm
  • Western Mass. cryptoparty sometime after August. Awaiting a final date. Possibly in Shelburne Falls.
  • Possible cryptoparty at a Boston Public Library
  • Possible cryptoparty at a Middlesex Community College in September
  • Possible cryptoparty at a high school after August. Not Pirate Party event of course.
  • No word on Taunton cryptoparty

Also, may have some how to FOIA talks lined up. Muckrock interested in doing one for high school students and Maya Shaffer offered to give one to a more general audience.

Pirate Picnic

Planning to take the noon ferry. Might be useful to have folks arrive early to get a table. Schedule and tickets.

Freedom Rally

Freedom Rally is 9/17-18. Are we signed up? If not when must we?

Upcoming Events

  1. July, Democracy/IT meeting
  2. July 16, noon-4:45. Cryptoparty @ Somerville Public Library
  3. 7/27, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  4. August, WMass Cryptoparty?
  5. 8/7, (noon ferry), Pirate Picnic, Georges Island. Planning
  6. 8/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  7. 9/17-18, Freedom Rally
  8. 9/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  9. How to file a FOIA request by Maya Shaffer

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11am-noon, 101 Main Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • Moses (Moses Sukin, Great Barrington, MA)
  • Velveeta_Chef (Dan Butler, Spencer, MA)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer in Highland Park, Michigan)

Observers

  • davidd
  • igel
  • popegaai

Summary

Freedom Rally. Steve would like to send in application and payment. Lucia volunteers herself and jason for setup. No objections to participating again. Steve will send in application and fee.

PPI General assembly. Happening during the same weekend as HOPE. The PPI is planning to stream the event.

The GE/PCB march was lovely. Around 150 attended. Only regret was not having literature to pass out.

Aaron James Campaign is continuing forward. Looking for more outreach methods.

Cryptoparties. Jamie and Steve doing one at Somerville Public Library on Sat July 16th, noon-4:45pm. Plus, have the monthly cryptoparties in Somerville.

IT meeting. Will likely be in August.

Pirate Picnic. Planning to take noon Ferry to George's Island. Planning pad.

USPP meeting tomorrow (Wednesday) night, 9pm. #uspp channel on our standard irc server.

IRC meetings: will be moving to Tuesday.

Minutes

 
21:04 < jokeefe> Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_5th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:04 < Bluestreak> Ohai
21:04 < jokeefe> ids
21:04 < papegaai> Title: July 5th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:05 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:05 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:05 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:05 < Velveeta_Chef> Dan Butler, Spencer, MA
21:06 < Moses> Moses Sukin, Great Barrington, MA
21:06 < jokeefe> Review
21:07 < jokeefe> Freedom Rally
21:07 < jokeefe> Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_5th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:07 < papegaai> Title: July 5th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:07 < srevilak> I found a copy of the application form for freedom rally
21:07 < srevilak> if no objections, would like to send in application +
        $300 payment
21:07 < jokeefe> How much do we have the bank?
21:07 < srevilak> ~ $972
21:08 < srevilak> Sorry, $957
21:08 < Bluestreak> Jason and I still plan to “run” it, do the set
        up, etc.
21:08 < Bluestreak> Sorry we don’t have any cash this year.
21:09 < jokeefe> Any objections? We participate in this event every year
21:09 < Bluestreak> If there are no objections that is
21:11 < jokeefe> Not hearing any.  Thanks for handling it, Steve.
21:11 < srevilak> Ok.  Will get paperwork in the mail tomorrow
21:11 < Bluestreak> Yes, thank you.
21:11 < jokeefe> PPI General Assembly - anyone want to talk about it?
21:11 < Kendra> Hi all, Kendra Moyer in Highland Park, Michigan, forgot
        to id
21:12 < jokeefe> It is during Hope XI?
21:12 < jokeefe> What a bummer
21:12 < srevilak> Yes, the PPI general assembly is during Hope XI.
        I didn't hear about it until a few days ago.
21:13 < Bluestreak> I can’t go to HOPE anyway.
21:13 < Bluestreak> Jelena keeps asking me to register for PPI
21:13 < srevilak> They plan to stream the GA, so I wanted to let people
        know that they have the option to tune in
21:13 < jokeefe> Anyone want to write up a post about it?
21:13 < Bluestreak> I was so sick I didn’t even listen to PirateCon
21:14 < jokeefe> Can put it up as uspirates.org as well
21:14 < srevilak> I think we have the option of registering remote
        participants -- if anyone is interested in doing that?
21:15 < srevilak> Moses, Velveeta_Chef ?
21:16 < srevilak> Even just listening and providing a summary would
        be helpful
21:16 < Bluestreak> I can listen at least.
21:16 < jokeefe> thanks
21:16 < Bluestreak> I will try to register, too.
21:16 < jokeefe> moving on to Organization Stuff
21:16 < jokeefe> hold on
21:16 < jokeefe> how was the march?
21:17 < Moses> lovely.
21:17 < jokeefe> thanks to you both
21:18 < srevilak> there were ~ 150 people; we carried the small banner
21:18 < Bluestreak> FYI, Moses, my husband was offered some of that
        clean up work.
21:18 < Bluestreak> He took a different contract instead.
21:18 < Moses> ooo
21:18 < Bluestreak> You might like to meet him
21:19 < Bluestreak> 150 is excellent
21:19 < Bluestreak> How long was the drive?
21:19 < Bluestreak> srevilak?
21:19 < srevilak> about 2.5 hours
21:19 < Bluestreak> wow
21:20 < Bluestreak> Thanks for doing that
21:20 < Moses> yeah I'm in the middle of nowhere
21:21 < jokeefe> So Moses, the tasks of Activism leader is Does not lead
        activism as such, but rather supports it (as is the case with all of these
        roles). Whenever activists decide swarmwise that they want to stage a
        rally, hand out flyers, put up posters, or do some other form of visible
        activism, this is the person responsible for the practical details, such
        as PA equipment, permits, and other details on the ground to make thing
21:21 < jokeefe> happen.
21:22 < jokeefe> Since we don’t have many events right now, or they are
        organized locally, I wondered if you would be willing to try contacting
        volunteers in your area?
21:23 < Moses> I don't really know if I'm in the best place to do a door
        to door type effort
21:23 < Bluestreak> No call
21:23 < Moses> but I could look into giving a talk ?
21:23 < Bluestreak> Flyer
21:23 < Bluestreak> Have a meeting in a local cafe
21:23 < Moses> I could also flyer
21:24 < jokeefe> wasn’t thinking door to door
21:24 < jokeefe> more like email and phone call
21:24 < srevilak> any of those things would be wonderful
21:24 < jokeefe> talks are fine too
21:24 < Moses> awesome
21:28 < jokeefe> Aaron James Campaign is continuing forward, looking at
        more outreach methods
21:29 < Moses> do we have flyers? or a website?
21:30 < jokeefe> voteaaronjames.org
21:30 < jokeefe> they have flyers
21:30 < jokeefe> and a periodic newsletter
21:32 < jokeefe> Moses, lets talk on the activist list about what
        talk/event you want to hold and when
21:32 < Moses> Yes, of course
21:32 < jokeefe> thanks
21:32 < jokeefe> Somerville Public Library will have a cryptoparty on
        July 14th, noon-4:45pm.  srevilak and I will be teaching.
21:32 < jokeefe> The others are all up in the air
21:33 < jokeefe> besides the usual on in Somerville on the last Wed. of
        the moth
21:33 < jokeefe> month
21:33 < jokeefe> IT meeting will likely be in August
21:35 < Moses> does araron have a platform out?
21:36 < jokeefe> We have helped him write parts, but I am not sure it
        is ready for a wide release
21:36 < srevilak> https://voteaaronjames.org/?p=133 has audio of the
        live audience version
21:36 < papegaai> Title: Audio/Podcast of June 14th Policy Kickoff |
        Aaron James (at voteaaronjames.org)
21:37 < Moses> ty
21:39 < Bluestreak> Can we talk about Picnic?
21:39 < jokeefe> that was next, so sure!
21:39 < Bluestreak> So OK MIL is coming that weekend, but will be gone
        Sunday AM so we will be there.
21:39 < Bluestreak> noon ferry?
21:40 < Bluestreak> 1 pm ferry?
21:40 < Bluestreak> Which one are we taking?
21:40 < jokeefe> I set up https://piratenpad.de/p/MAPP2016Picnic to
        decide what needs bringing
21:40 < Bluestreak> Thanks!
21:40 < jokeefe> The plan was to take the noon ferry.
21:41 < jokeefe> That would get us there before 1pm and things should
        be cooler
21:41 < Bluestreak> OK!
21:41 < jokeefe> hopefully
21:43 < jokeefe> We already discussed Freedom Rally.
21:43 < Bluestreak> I will bring the kite again!
21:44 < jokeefe> Other topics to bring up?
21:44 < Bluestreak> I may buy another!
21:44 < Bluestreak> USPP thing tomorrow
21:44 < jokeefe> Yes
21:44 < Bluestreak> Moses need to be there or just we 3?
21:44 < Bluestreak> I’ve forgotten
21:44 < jokeefe> Ideally we three
21:44 < jokeefe> you, Moses, me
21:44 < Bluestreak> Oh full PNC ok
21:44 < Moses> remind me what time EST?
21:44 < Bluestreak> Ty
21:44 < Bluestreak> 9?
21:45 < Bluestreak> jokeefe what is the link to the webchat?
21:46 < jokeefe> This same one, except #uspp instead of #masspirates
21:46 < jokeefe> 9pm
21:47 < Bluestreak> Will that work will Colloquy too?
21:48 < jokeefe> yes
21:48 < Moses> ty
21:48 < Bluestreak> :-D
21:49 < jokeefe> Any other items folks want to bring up?
21:50 < Bluestreak> You aid 14th
21:50 < Bluestreak> you meant 16th?
21:50 < Bluestreak> For the CP at the SPL?
21:50 < srevilak> yes, Saturday 16th
21:51 < Bluestreak> OK hope to make it to that.
21:51 < jokeefe> Thanks for the correction
21:52 < Bluestreak> I guess we can start talking about the Nov event
        later?
21:53 < srevilak> Given the time, perhaps better to discuss Nov next week,
        so we have enough time to do it justice
21:53 < Bluestreak> OK!
21:53 < jokeefe> With this much lead time, why don’t we talk about it
        on email
21:53 < jokeefe> Also, the poll shows either Tue/Wed as the best times
21:53 < Bluestreak> I’m really tired
21:54 < Bluestreak> Going to take off now OK?
21:54 < jokeefe> 1 min please
21:54 < Bluestreak> OK
21:54 < jokeefe> Suggest Tue so it doesn’t conflict with national
        meetings
21:54 < jokeefe> that is all
21:54 < srevilak> I'm okay w/tuesday nights
21:54 < jokeefe> Will update the blog to reflect that
21:55 < jokeefe> Thanks for hanging in Bluestreak
21:55 < Bluestreak> All nights are equal to me, I’m too sick to go
        anywhere anymore
21:55 < Kendra> tuesday works
21:55 < Bluestreak> TTYL!
21:55 < jokeefe> motion to adjourn then
21:55 < srevilak> second
21:55 < Bluestreak> 2nd
21:55 < Bluestreak> Ciao!
21:55 < jokeefe> all in favor
21:55 < srevilak> aye
21:55 < Kendra> aye nite all
21:55 < srevilak> will post transcript