July 6th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Tasks

Putting names to tasks. PiratePad version.

Event Planning

  1. July 11, 10am-1pm, IT Meeting, E5
  2. July 18, Worcester Unemployment Action Group (WUAG)/MAPPL hackathon, Stone Soup, Worcester
  3. Aug 2, Pirate Picnic, Georges Island?, need poll & sign up form (asking for what people will bring)
  4. August Cryptoparty, Worcester
  5. Aug/Sep. Surveillance mapping Hackathon
  6. Sep. 19 & 20, Freedom Rally - Sign up form - have asked for volunteers in email as well, need blog post by July/Aug
  7. Oct. event?
  8. Nov. event?
  9. Dec. event?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, West of the Alewife)
  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • js0000 (johnny saylor waltham)
  • kate_m

Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal
  • zby
  • itspara

Summary

Considering putting together an outing for http://navegallery.org/wp/survey-without-surveillance-cfe/

We discussed Saturday Hackathon. Will likely be some time to prioritize things, and find volunteers to work on the various tasks.

We discussed ways of posting raw conference video for editing. For large raw video files, sneakernet has some attractive qualities. At the very least, we're talking 10 of GB to download and upload.

We reviewed olympics survey submission. Vast majority of responses were in the negative. Steve volunteers to write blog post about survey results.

Pirate Picnic. Last year we started at noon, and nearly didn't get a grill. Might need an advance team this year.

Minutes

 
20:56 < Bluestreak> Ahoy!
20:57 < js0000> ahoy!
20:59 < jokeefe> ahoy!
21:00 < srevilak> hi all
21:00 < noe> ahoy!
21:01 < jokeefe> We should organize an outing to this
        http://navegallery.org/wp/survey-without-surveillance-cfe/
21:03 < noe> I would go.  Not that far from myself.  Could make a doodle?
21:04 < Bluestreak> Good idea
21:04 < jokeefe> noe, would you find out when it is open to the public?
21:05 < jokeefe> Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_6th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:05 < jokeefe> ids, James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:06 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:06 < jokeefe> Watching kids play minecraft.  The game has a simplicity
        without being simplistic.
21:06 < noe> (Nave Gallery Annex Thursday-Friday 6-8pm, Saturday 2-8pm)
21:06 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, West of the Alewife
21:06 < noe> Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville
21:07 < noe> (survey Nave Gallery Annex exhibition last day is July 25)
21:07 < jokeefe> thanks
21:08 < jokeefe> I put a task list up at:
        https://piratenpad.de/p/2015_MAPP_Tasks
21:08 < js0000> johnny saylor waltham (weirdly)
21:09 < js0000> saw task list, looks like hackathon will be busy ...
21:10 < jokeefe> doubt we will get through it all
21:11 < jokeefe> just collaboratively editing
21:11 < jokeefe> (to minecraft tunes)
21:12 < srevilak> noe: would you be willing to post MAPP videos to
        archive.org?
21:12 < Bluestreak> ++minecraft music
21:13 < jokeefe> srevilak, you mean the raw videos?
21:13 < srevilak> edited would probably be better
21:14 < srevilak> they'd be placed in a collection with audio.
        archive.org also creates torrents for media files
21:14 < jokeefe> agreed.  I need a place to put them for people to get
        them so they can edit them.
21:14 < noe> a-ha!
21:14 < noe> I have not seen this archive.org, but think its an idea
        worth pursuing.
21:15 < js0000> you might be able to create a special "raw" collection
21:15 < js0000> if it's just getting them on line that's the issue ...
21:15 < srevilak> noe: https://archive.org/details/masspirates
21:15 < noe> keepin' it real with raw files!
21:15 < js0000> video is not real :-P
21:15 < js0000> sorry- it got out before i could stop it ...
21:15 < srevilak> for editing/posting raw video, archive.org probably
        isn't the place
21:16 < jokeefe> got 100MB download and a not insignificant fraction
        upload, js0000, so I can get them up if we have a place
21:16 < srevilak> You really need service that allows you to upload 10's
        of GB,
21:17 < noe> yeah, even with the most compression, files were still large.
21:17 < jokeefe> https://share.mayfirst.org/ ?
21:17 < noe> js0000:  LOL, keepin it virtual
21:18 < srevilak> share.mayfirst.org is ~ 500mb limit.  For sharing raw
        video files, probably need 10x that
21:18 < js0000> if moving files around is a problem, maybe buying a big
        usb disk is a good idea ...
21:18 < js0000> not using network, but moving files
21:19 < jokeefe> could setup an owncloud server locally
21:19 < jokeefe> hi lsd
21:20 < isd> jokeefe: hey
21:20 < jokeefe> https://piratenpad.de/p/2015_MAPP_Tasks &
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_6th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:20 < srevilak> back of the envelope: my gopro generates 6GB hour,
        which would be 48 GB for eight hours.  Higher resolution would be some
        multiple thereof
21:20 < js0000> i think you can get 1TB usb for around $100+
21:21 < js0000> which might come in handy for some of this stuff ...
21:21 < jokeefe> I have copies of the video.  I can see how much it takes.
        Got it all on a 64GB usb stick and had space to spare
21:21 < js0000> we can talk on sat about this
21:21 < jokeefe> I’ll bring copies
21:23 < noe> i miss megaupload a lot these days
21:23 < js0000> agenda is pretty much talking about task list ... ?
21:23 < srevilak> http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/block-storage might be
        a cost effective way to go
21:24 < js0000> srevilak: jokeefe 64gb flash drive might be way to go
        too ...
21:24 < js0000> but we can talk on sat
21:25 < noe> yeah, i think passing off sticks to people who are willing
        to edit is probably cheapest, weirdly enough.
21:25 < noe> in terms of time and energy.
21:26 < js0000> i have to agree
21:26 < jokeefe> aye, js0000. and having people take on tasks
21:26 < js0000> yes, that's the hard part ...
21:26 < Bluestreak> AJ has agreed to edit
21:26 < noe> the initial move to the usb stick took a while.  any cloud
        service will probably take longer.
21:26 < Bluestreak> stick is good
21:27 < js0000> it's the masspirate sneaker net!
21:28 < js0000> yes, i know, how 90s ...
21:29 < noe> we r so retro
21:30 < js0000> anything on agenda to discuss ?
21:30 < jokeefe> just saturday meeting
21:30 < kate_m> Sorry I'm late
21:31 < jokeefe> also good to pick a start time for pirate picnic
21:31 < js0000> is sat working and talking?
21:31 < noe> ahoy!
21:31 < jokeefe> aye
21:31 < js0000> ok, will bring laptop
21:31 < jokeefe> last time we started the picnic at noon, and nearly
        didn’t have a grill.  probably need an advance team.
21:32 < Bluestreak> lol
21:32 < srevilak> re: forum.  Part of me would want to keep that as a
        separate application, whether it be drupal or wordpress.  Makes cleanup
        easier when it gets spam bombed :)
21:32 < jokeefe> hi kate_m, good to read you
21:32 < Bluestreak> ahoy
21:32 < jokeefe> agreed
21:32 < jokeefe> srevilak
21:32 < jokeefe> I think we need one or more people to maintain it
21:33 < srevilak> jokeefe: agreed
21:34 < srevilak> For saturday hackathon, should we assume some time at
        the beginning to discuss & delegate project tasks, then go into training?
21:34 < jokeefe> sounds sensible
21:35 < noe> sounds good.
21:35 < js0000> also priorities, such as they exist
21:36 < jokeefe> also - Olympics: survey results
21:36 < js0000> boston committee hands themselves the gold
21:36 < js0000> humor!
21:36 < js0000> ok, i'll keep my day job ...
21:37 < noe> LOL
21:37 < srevilak> Looks like 13 submissions
21:38 < noe> I hope responses to the survey were thoughtful
21:38 < srevilak> 4 no, 5 hell no, 1 yes, 1 undecided
21:38 < noe> we have a yes!  at least there's some representation.
21:38 < jokeefe> any comments?
21:38 < noe> we have diversity.
21:39 < srevilak> looking at comments, there's a good blog post in that
21:39 < js0000> tiny sample though ...
21:40 < kate_m> How many of those emails went out?
21:40 < js0000> but could definitely be a good blog post
21:40 < srevilak> kate_m: 387, I believe
21:40 < jokeefe> looks like none came from the mailing.  all came from
        blog post, I believe
21:41 < js0000> some could be dual, but the link would show blog instead
        of mail
21:41 < js0000> or does show blog
21:41 < jokeefe> we are working out the kinks in the new email system
21:41 < js0000> i think they look great
21:41 < jokeefe> srevilak, you offereing to write the blog post?
21:42 < srevilak> jokeefe: yes, I'll volunteer.  Should be able to do
        it later this week
21:42 < js0000> maybe i will this sat
21:42 < srevilak> Will tweet link to survey, maybe pick up a few more
        responses
21:43 < jokeefe> We said the due date was Sunday the 5th, IIRC.
21:44 < srevilak> jokeefe: I see -- we did set a deadline in the blog post
21:44 < jokeefe> Latest mailing had 77 opens of 386 deliveries
21:44 < js0000> +1 opened
21:44 < js0000> i turn off notification in my client
21:44 < srevilak> Yes, we did much better on the delivery side
21:44 < jokeefe> srevilak, thinks for fixing that
21:45  * srevilak breathes a sign of relief :)
21:45 < js0000> nice work srevilak!!!
21:45 < Bluestreak> Thank you, Steve
21:48 < jokeefe> So motion to accept the survey results as our vote?
21:48 < Bluestreak> 2nd
21:48 < srevilak> aye
21:49 < jokeefe> all in favor
21:49 < noe> aye
21:49 < srevilak> aye
21:49 < js0000> aye
21:50 < jokeefe> aye
21:50  * srevilak closes form submission
21:50 < jokeefe> any opposed?
21:51 < Bluestreak> aye
21:51 < jokeefe> abstentions?
21:51 < kate_m> The low response rate has me a little antsy, but I don't
        see any reasonable alternatives.
21:52 < kate_m> aye
21:53 < jokeefe> a higher response rate would be better, kate_m
21:53 < jokeefe> motion passes.
21:55 < Bluestreak>
21:56 < jokeefe> We are at time.  If there anything you want to add to
        the task list - please do https://piratenpad.de/p/2015_MAPP_Tasks
21:56 < noe> see people on saturday, hopefully.
21:56 < noe> motion to adjourn.
21:56 < jokeefe> aye, looking for it.
21:56 < jokeefe> 2nd
21:56 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:56 < Bluestreak> aye
21:56 < Bluestreak> 2nd
21:56 < jokeefe> I will hang out for any folks appearing at 10pm
21:57 < noe> aye
21:57 < Bluestreak> Feeling poorly taking off
21:57 < jokeefe> srevilak, would you add the transcript?
21:57 < noe> all right.  night all!
21:57 < jokeefe> night Bluestreak
21:57 < srevilak> jokeefe:  will post transcript
21:57 < jokeefe> thank you