June 13th, 2013 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Agenda

  1. Reminders
    1. General Meeting, Sun., June 16th, 2-4pm
  2. Committee Reports
  3. Event Review
    1. Boston Pride Parade - June 8th
  4. Scheduled Events
    1. Cease & Desist, Boston, June 14th 4-6pm
    2. 2nd Cammy Dee Probable Cause hearing - June 27th
    3. No NSA Spying Protests, July 4th
    4. Cameron D'Ambrosio Fundraiser, Lowell, July 6th, 8pm
    5. Art Beat, Somerville, July 19-20th
    6. Pirate Picnic, George's Island, August 3rd
  5. Conference
    1. Speakers & Schedule
    2. Logistics
  6. Cryptocurrency Conference

Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:

Reminders

A reminder that we have a General Meeting on Sun., June 16th, 2-4pm. It will be at REDACTED. If you are Facebook and plan to attend, please join the event.

Cryptocurrency Conference

Conferences tend to take a lot of our time. We need to be finding and preparing candidates for 2014. Having a cryptocurrency conference in Sept. will likely be a distraction from our election plans in 2014 and getting our platform finalized. Jokeefe suggests cancelling it.

Participants

  • Bluestreak: Lucia Fiero
  • srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington
  • Kendra_: Kendra Moyer, Arlington
  • black_van - Sevan
  • jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville

Observers:

  • ageis
  • passstab
  • illunatic
  • davidd: David van Deijk, Eindhoven, NL
  • rocode

Summary

National Affairs

Event Review

Scheduled Events

Conference

Flyers

Speakers & Schedule

Have the following panels:

  • Crowdfunding
  • Open Gov.
  • Government surveillance in 2020

Other suggestions:

  • Old and new cyber security legislation
  • Don't Agonize, Organize!

srevilak will ask if we can go longer.

Finishing the discussion on email.

Meeting Minutes

jokeefe: hi all
[8:45pm] Bluestreak: Is soccer season over!?!
[8:48pm] jokeefe: yes
[8:54pm] srevilak: hi all
[8:54pm] Bluestreak: I was listening Jill and Rene on UnRegular Radio... it's over now.
[8:55pm] Bluestreak: Sup Steve?
[8:55pm] srevilak: I'm about to answer a question you posted a few days ago
[8:55pm] srevilak: https://www.loomio.org/discussions/4532
[8:57pm] Bluestreak: I reached out to Kevin about this. Hey Kevin!
[8:57pm] Bluestreak: (Lurking there)
[9:01pm] Bluestreak: Ping me when y'all are ready to start
[9:02pm] Kendra_ joined the chat room.
[9:03pm] jokeefe: hi
[9:03pm] jokeefe: sorry distracted by loomio discussions
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/June_16th,_2013_General_Meeting
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Want to keep this short since we have the meeting on Sunday
[9:04pm] srevilak: works for me
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Who will be at Cease & Desist rally on Friday?
[9:04pm] Bluestreak: Not me.
[9:04pm] jokeefe: bad me going out of order
[9:04pm] jokeefe: starting ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville
[9:04pm] Kendra_: Hi. Where and when is the rally?
[9:04pm] Bluestreak: Lucia Fiero
[9:04pm] srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington MA, or thereabouts
[9:05pm] Kendra_: Kendra Moyer Arlington, MA
[9:05pm] srevilak: I don't think I'll make it out of work in time
[9:05pm] Bluestreak: Hye Kendra
[9:05pm] Kendra_: 'sup
[9:05pm] Bluestreak: Fridays are usually bad for me
[9:06pm] jokeefe: 1.  Committee reports
[9:06pm] jokeefe: web - site moved over, still more to do
[9:06pm] black_van joined the chat room.
[9:06pm] black_van: Hey
[9:07pm] Bluestreak: Hello there
[9:07pm] jokeefe: hi black_van
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Bluestreak, please run the meeting, I will be back soon
[9:07pm] Bluestreak: LOL
[9:08pm] srevilak: (more web) I've been tintering with statusnet.  Might be worth setting up an instance at some point
[9:08pm] Bluestreak: Tell us more about that.
[9:09pm] Bluestreak: No pressure
[9:09pm] srevilak: it's the software that runs https://identi.ca/
[9:10pm] srevilak: Kind of a distributed, host-your-own twitter.  w/o 140 char limitation
[9:10pm] srevilak: and it does polls
[9:11pm] Bluestreak: So what do you mean by setting up an instance?
[9:11pm] srevilak: You can uses statusnet in two ways.  Via the author's site (identi.ca), or you run it on your own site
[9:12pm] srevilak: "set up instance" means "run on our site"
[9:12pm] Bluestreak: So... you would put it on the blog?
[9:13pm] srevilak: sort of.  next to the blog.  In the same way that wiki is next to the blog
[9:13pm] jokeefe: sounds good
[9:13pm] Bluestreak: And it's like Twitter?
[9:13pm] Bluestreak: Oh you're back!
[9:14pm] srevilak: yes, basically like twitter.
[9:14pm] srevilak: The author has a vision of social web sites that work like email
[9:14pm] srevilak: w/email any two people can exchange messages.  Regardless of mail provider
[9:14pm] srevilak: Social sites should work the same way
[9:14pm] srevilak: Anyway, done digressing 
[9:15pm] Kendra_: I have a bunch of flyers for the conference left and might be able to go Friday.  I am also going to the Allied Media Conference in Detroit next week, so let me know if I should carry forth a Pirate Party message there.  it seems like surveillance is the hot topic.  Also I don't know if I can add this, but I have been talking with the Socialist Alternative for about a month and they have gotten Irish native Seamu
[9:16pm] jokeefe: did you get cut off Kendra_?
[9:17pm] Bluestreak: Certainly you should network with any MA based media you meet out there.
[9:17pm] Bluestreak: Flyers are good.
[9:17pm] passstab joined the chat room.
[9:17pm] jokeefe: hi passstab
[9:17pm] jokeefe: agree with Bluestreak
[9:18pm] Bluestreak: If Kendra is taking a break...
[9:18pm] Kendra_: Too many periods.  Support= a couple of things, but I am on a fishing expedtion to figure out if they are in sync with the Pirate Party and getting mixed reviews.  They are leftists and Marxists, but international unioniists.  I don 't know what endorsing/supporting this candidate would entail, outside of promoting  third party candidates  They are not a registered political party.
[9:18pm] Bluestreak: I'd like to talk about the D'Ambrosio PC plan?
[9:18pm] Bluestreak: Oops shes back
[9:19pm] Bluestreak: You can always focus on coalition building when you cant directly build the party
[9:20pm] Bluestreak: Then drift can occur between groups
[9:21pm] Kendra_: This is where organizing gets tricky, building alliances and figuring out what the skeletons in the closet might be.  PP is actually a registered party while SA is not, if that matters.  Not to break from the agenda though.
[9:21pm] jokeefe: If he wants our endorsement, then he should ask for it.  Suggest putting it on Sunday's agenda
[9:22pm] Bluestreak: We work with Occupy and they arent a party either
[9:22pm] jokeefe: I will be at Cease & Desist rally tomorrow.  Anyone else?
[9:22pm] Kendra_: Sounds like a plan, we can discuss on Sunday and I'll fishout the details.
[9:22pm] Kendra_: I am off work tomorrow and will do my best to make it.
[9:23pm] Bluestreak: Have fun storming the castle!
[9:24pm] Bluestreak: Will you also have time Friday to get Guy back on line?
[9:24pm] jokeefe: great, lets keep in touch.  it looks like the march starts at 5:30pm from Dewey Sq.
[9:24pm] Bluestreak: Do they even have an ISP any longer?
[9:25pm] jokeefe: ?
[9:25pm] jokeefe: any other committee reports besides the democracy/tech's ?
[9:25pm] Bluestreak: Sorry thought you were done
[9:25pm] black_van: our post on reddit recieved 2000 vies
[9:25pm] jokeefe: no didn't understand the question 
[9:26pm] srevilak: I might be able to make 5:30.  Might as well go down and see who's there
[9:26pm] jokeefe: cool, black_van
[9:26pm] Bluestreak: I'd like to talk about the D'Ambrosio PC plan?
[9:27pm] jokeefe: I am trying to get it to them.  possibly tomorrow evening
[9:27pm] Bluestreak: So *after* the rally?
[9:28pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:28pm] srevilak: jokeefe: do you still have that dilemma we spoke about earlier?
[9:28pm] jokeefe: no, I think I have it.  I will test it in the morning
[9:28pm] jokeefe: thanks!
[9:29pm] Bluestreak: If Jamie is too busy Steve, maybe you and I could take care of it Saturday?
[9:29pm] srevilak: I can write out the answer and leave it in your mailbox
[9:29pm] srevilak: Bluestreak: sure, we can drop off a CPU on sat.
[9:29pm] srevilak: if jokeefe is too busy
[9:30pm] jokeefe: That sounds even better! 
[9:30pm] Bluestreak: So If you can get the PC to Steve, I will make sure he gets there.
[9:30pm] Bluestreak: Arlington is much easier right?
[9:30pm] jokeefe: Works.  Need to get the monitor from EG.
[9:30pm] Bluestreak: My monitor doesnt work?
[9:30pm] jokeefe: yes, Arlington is great
[9:31pm] jokeefe: It does, but EG's is newer
[9:31pm] srevilak: well, just let me know what you need me to do 
[9:31pm] Bluestreak: Oh, OK
[9:31pm] Bluestreak: I will ask Evan if he wants to go, too. Road trip!
[9:32pm] srevilak: I can also bring a second Mint machine, if need be
[9:32pm] Bluestreak: Why didnt you say so sooner?
[9:32pm] jokeefe: Evan was planning, but needed a ride.  Perhaps, you two could connect and go up together.  He knows where they live.
[9:32pm] jokeefe: Yours were newer
[9:32pm] jokeefe: Bluestreak
[9:32pm] Bluestreak: LOL
[9:33pm] Bluestreak: We can work this out later by email
[9:33pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:33pm] srevilak: agreed
[9:33pm] Bluestreak: Just eager to get it done
[9:33pm] jokeefe: next - 2nd Cammy Dee Probable Cause hearing - June 27th - we already endorsed, just need to get people to it.
[9:34pm] Bluestreak: Ok thanks Im good
[9:34pm] Bluestreak: I will be there.
[9:34pm] Bluestreak: The hearing I mean
[9:34pm] srevilak: think I can make it too
[9:34pm] jokeefe: good
[9:34pm] Bluestreak: Cool
[9:35pm] Bluestreak: Do you need a ride Steve?
[9:35pm] Kendra_: If you let me know what time on the 27th i might be able to to attend.
[9:36pm] Bluestreak: I will drive you too its at 11
[9:36pm] jokeefe: morning, most of day, Kendra_
[9:36pm] srevilak: Bluestreak: let me see if lawrence is near commuter rail
[9:36pm] jokeefe: No NSA Spying Protests, July 4th - https://www.facebook.com/events/261815483960367/
[9:36pm] Bluestreak: OK
[9:36pm] jokeefe: endorse?
[9:36pm] Bluestreak: I will be in Manhattan
[9:36pm] Bluestreak: Oh yeah sure
[9:37pm] jokeefe: good you can go to a protest there 
[9:37pm] Bluestreak: yes endorese
[9:37pm] Bluestreak: You dont know my mother in law
[9:37pm] srevilak: aye, endorse
[9:37pm] ageis: hello Bluestreak I am here
[9:37pm] jokeefe: count that as 2nd
[9:37pm] Bluestreak: Hello Kevin!
[9:37pm] jokeefe: hi ageis
[9:37pm] ageis: hi hi
[9:37pm] jokeefe: all in favor, besides Bluestreak and revilak
[9:37pm] jokeefe: ?
[9:37pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:38pm] Kendra_: aye.  about time.
[9:38pm] srevilak: POI: lawrence court is 12 min. walk from Lawrence station on Haverill Commuter rail
[9:38pm] Bluestreak: Take a look Kevin https://www.loomio.org/discussions/4532
[9:38pm] Bluestreak: Well I will drive ppl who want to be driven
[9:38pm] ageis: cool who do we have out herE?
[9:39pm] Bluestreak left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed)
[9:39pm] jokeefe: invited ageis to loomio
[9:39pm] Bluestreak joined the chat room.
[9:40pm] ageis: got it
[9:40pm] Bluestreak: I got booted
[9:40pm] jokeefe: any opposed to endorsing No NSA Spying Protests, July 4th
[9:41pm] jokeefe: welcome back Bluestreak
[9:42pm] jokeefe: any abstentions?
[9:43pm] black_van: yes, me
[9:43pm] jokeefe: really?
[9:43pm] jokeefe: lol
[9:44pm] black_van: i dont really think its important. if people are gonna go ppl are going to go.
[9:44pm] jokeefe: good point
[9:44pm] jokeefe: ok, then motion passes
[9:44pm] jokeefe: other events are:
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Cameron D'Ambrosio Fundraiser, Lowell, July 6th, 8pm
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Art Beat, Somerville, July 19-20th
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Pirate Picnic, George's Island, August 3rd
[9:45pm] jokeefe: but don't need endorsements
[9:45pm] jokeefe: ok, conference
[9:45pm] jokeefe: getting people's final schedules so can lock down the schedule
[9:45pm] Bluestreak: I endorse the fundraiser!
[9:46pm] Bluestreak: (I like to dance!)
[9:46pm] Bluestreak: Sry
[9:46pm] jokeefe: ++dance
[9:46pm] srevilak: re conference: set email earlier, looking for Don't agonize, organize panelists
[9:46pm] Bluestreak: I'm almost done with Swarmwise
[9:46pm] jokeefe: srevilak, did you get a chance to contact john s. about wifi?
[9:47pm] Bluestreak: Pretty quick readin actually
[9:47pm] srevilak: jokeefe: sorry, no
[9:48pm] srevilak: I write to john
[9:48pm] Kendra_: Yeah I emailed CS university department heads for additional speakers, and got no replies.  At this stage and with recent revelations, I am guessing there will be plenty to say.
[9:48pm] srevilak: re, I'll write to john
[9:48pm] jokeefe: thanks, srevilak
[9:49pm] jokeefe: can anyone recommend someone to record the panels?
[9:49pm] jokeefe: there microphones at CCoB, yes srevilak?
[9:49pm] srevilak: yes, there are microphones
[9:49pm] Kendra_: We can check with Maurice?
[9:49pm] srevilak: Kendra_: think Doug greene would be interested in recording?
[9:50pm] Kendra_: I can ask him, he's reasonable.
[9:50pm] Bluestreak: We can ask them both see who is more enthusiastic
[9:50pm] srevilak: ok, thx
[9:50pm] jokeefe: thanks!
[9:50pm] Bluestreak: I'll ask Maurice...
[9:50pm] Kendra_: i also have a camera, thugh not a digital.  I have a decent wide lens web camera.
[9:51pm] jokeefe: bring it.
[9:52pm] Bluestreak: So... we need equipment, too?
[9:52pm] jokeefe: srevilak, can we go in and take a look at the audio equipment?
[9:53pm] srevilak: they have a peavey xr-600c amplified 6 channel mixer
[9:53pm] srevilak: couple of unidirectional mics
[9:53pm] Kendra_: I have some microphones and a few canon cameras, though they do not have higher memory cards.  I have a Microcenter gift card with some $ on it and might be able to get a  16GB memory card for the conference.
[9:54pm] srevilak: I've been to CCB enough to have seen the audio equipment.
[9:54pm] Bluestreak: Because I have a tape camera that can be patched through a computer for digital capture.
[9:54pm] jokeefe: so we need a wire from the mixer to the recording device.
[9:54pm] Bluestreak: I can bring my laptop
[9:54pm] Kendra_: Will these videos be on the PP site? (Which looks very nice , by the way)
[9:54pm] jokeefe: bring them, just in case.  I have  tripod and some other things.
[9:55pm] srevilak: jokeefe: I'll check Peavey's specs on mixer.  I'd imagine 1/4 mono line out.
[9:55pm] Bluestreak: I haz tripod, too
[9:55pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:55pm] jokeefe: yes, we can put them up at the youtube account.
[9:56pm] jokeefe: thanks srevilak
[9:56pm] Bluestreak: OK. Jason is the guy who hooks up the AV rigs in this house, but he will be there, so...
[9:56pm] jokeefe: good
[9:56pm] jokeefe: where are we going for dinner?
[9:57pm] Bluestreak: We never decided
[9:57pm] Bluestreak: I suggest the Globe since it is RIGHT FREAKING THERE
[9:57pm] Bluestreak: Same store front
[9:57pm] Bluestreak: I was thinking I would get into Copley on Sat to see if it is up to par
[9:58pm] Bluestreak: But y'all could decide from this list (one sec)
[9:58pm] Kendra_: There's also the lennox Hotel Restaurant across the way..
[9:58pm] Bluestreak: http://www.walkscore.com/places/restaurants-and-bars/near/565-boylston-st-boston-ma-02116
[9:59pm] Bluestreak: Lennox is Posh, yes? I like posh but it isnt for everyone
[10:00pm] jokeefe: probably
[10:00pm] Bluestreak: The Vlora looks cool
[10:00pm] Bluestreak: I think Pret a Manger is like Panera
[10:01pm] Bluestreak: Skipjacks is excellent
[10:01pm] Bluestreak: How ppl feel about seafood?
[10:01pm] jokeefe: Maybe we could just have the menus, take votes at the conference and pick then, or do we need reservations?
[10:01pm] Kendra_: I am not particular about this.  there are a bunch of nice restaurants on Mass ave up the street too that seem reasonable.
[10:02pm] Bluestreak: Need for reservations depends on the place
[10:02pm] Bluestreak: Skipjacks prolly
[10:02pm] Bluestreak: Let talk about this Sunday
[10:02pm] Bluestreak: Is that ok?
[10:03pm] Kendra_: Sounds like a plan
[10:04pm] jokeefe: anything we haven't discussed?
[10:04pm] Bluestreak: jokeefe?
[10:04pm] Bluestreak: oh so thats settled
[10:05pm] jokeefe: do folks want to have folks vote at the conference or pick a place before the conference?
[10:06pm] Bluestreak: *looks at agenda*
[10:06pm] Bluestreak: I vote we discuss it Sunday
[10:06pm] srevilak: maybe prepare a list of a few places, then decide @ conf?
[10:06pm] Bluestreak: Perhaps near the end?
[10:07pm] Bluestreak: Personal preferences are better discussed in person I think
[10:08pm] jokeefe: I am ok with deciding a short list on Sunday, then having folks at the conference vote and calling in reservations before we leave.
[10:09pm] Kendra_: sounds good.  So motion to adourn?
[10:09pm] Bluestreak: LOL
[10:09pm] jokeefe: 2nd
[10:09pm] Bluestreak: Tired Kendra?
[10:09pm] black_van: peace
[10:09pm] black_van left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed)
[10:09pm] Kendra_: Very tired
[10:10pm] jokeefe: sleep sounds good
[10:10pm] Kendra_: i'll see you guys at the rally tomorrow.  'Nite.
[10:10pm] Bluestreak: Now it's time... to say... goodnight,,,
[10:10pm] jokeefe: niit, Kendra_
[10:10pm] Kendra_ left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed)
[10:10pm] Bluestreak: Goodnight... sleep tight...
[10:10pm] jokeefe: good night all
[10:11pm] srevilak: 'night