June 13th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  • MassCann/NORML Rally
  • Boston Pride Parade

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Our Elections

Email sent. Nominations by today. Election ballot by the 30th. Seven days after it is sent out. To Do:

  • Send email reminder about nominations this week and next
  • Setup ballot (srevilak). For this election, we are implementing Voting Tokens
  • Send out ballot this week (jokeefe)
  • Send out reminder ballots before polls close (jokeefe)
  • Close polls (srevilak)
  • Count results (srevilak/jokeefe)
  • Publish results - 6/14 (jokeefe)
  • Setup meeting with new office holders (jokeefe)
  • Review regular IRC meeting day

PirateCon

  • Videos:
    • processed and uploaded (jokeefe)
    • putting on finishing touches (jokeefe)
    • announce and update piratecon page (jokeefe)
    • setting up torrents (creynolds)
  • Audio for one panel posted. More audio to edit (srevilak)

Planks & Other Discussions

  • Discussion
    • Reviewed Loomio instance. Looks good. Looking at how to invite people.
    • myBB installed, but not setup completely (jokeefe)
    • Installing mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)
    • Installed Matrix client (Riot), but we would need our own server to not be dependent on matrix.org servers.
  • Previous work on planks: https://github.com/masspirates/planks

Local Chapters

  • Somerville meeting 6/21

Day against DRM

Day Against DRM is Sunday, July 9th. FSF is ok with plan to flier, reaching out to Boston contact to see if we can turn it into an organizing opportunity for Boston

Upcoming Events

See: 2017 calendar

Participants

Observers

Summary

MassCann/NORML Rally - was well attended, with lots of press coverage

Boston Pride Parade - started late, bike pirate ship worked well, but we need to work on turnout for next time

jokeefe will get new pirate council members access to social media, and post about elections, new meeting and put up a poll for IRC meeting time.

jokeefe will work on getting people signed up for Loomio.

Minutes

 
[9:04pm] jokeefe: agenda - https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_13th,_2017_IRC_Meeting
[9:04pm] papegaai: Title: June 13th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org)
[9:05pm] hvxgr: Looking at agenda.  [Tom Rodman/Milwaukee]
[9:05pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:05pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:06pm] jokeefe: any additions?
[9:07pm] Joe_O: No sir
[9:08pm] hvxgr: Not officially, but at some point maybe yyou could explain mayfirst.org.  I looked it over a couple of times...
[9:08pm] jokeefe: what do you want to know?
[9:08pm] hvxgr: (after or b4 the mtg)
[9:08pm] jokeefe: waiting to see if more join, so fire away
[9:09pm] hvxgr: I was expecting to find an RSS feed, to find some history.
[9:09pm] hvxgr: Is it $25/year for normal membership?  Was interested that they use Trac.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: I believe so. I use the hosted services
[9:10pm] hvxgr: For example?
[9:11pm] jokeefe: host my websites there
[9:11pm] hvxgr: Is trac hosted there also?
[9:11pm] hvxgr: I see.
[9:12pm] hvxgr: I can do some more research.
[9:12pm] jokeefe: yes, they use it for issue tracking
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Review
[9:14pm] jokeefe: MassCann/NORML Rally - was well attended, with lots of press coverage
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Boston Pride Parade - started late, bike pirate ship worked well, but we need to work on turnout for next time
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Our Elections
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Results got sent to the activists list
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Will post on blog about it by tomorrow
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Will post a poll about new day for IRC meeting
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Will setup meeting with new office holders
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Joe_O has srevilak reached out to you about transferring treasurer responsibilities?
[9:20pm] Joe_O: If he has I must have missed it. I'll get in touch with him.
[9:21pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:21pm] Joe_O: I will make it a priority.
[9:22pm] jokeefe: great
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Planks & Other Discussions
[9:23pm] jokeefe: I mean PirateCon
[9:23pm] jokeefe: videos are up
[9:24pm] jokeefe: chris is working on torrenting them
[9:24pm] Joe_O: I have been directing people to the Youtube channel, this new content will really help.
[9:25pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:25pm] jokeefe: how did they come out?
[9:25pm] Joe_O: Good
[9:28pm] jokeefe: srevilak is working on the audo recordings
[9:28pm] Joe_O: Do we have anyone working on a google page?
[9:29pm] jokeefe: google plus?
[9:30pm] Joe_O: Sorry, I did not put that question in the correct context. Do we have anyone posting for social media?
[9:30pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:31pm] jokeefe: but we need more
[9:31pm] jokeefe: mostly on facebook and twitter
[9:31pm] jokeefe: also need more blog posts
[9:31pm] Joe_O: I can link the twitter to the facebook so we can hit both with single posts.
[9:32pm] jokeefe: we can look into it
[9:33pm] Joe_O: thank you
[9:33pm] jokeefe: email me your twitter account and I can add you to it
[9:33pm] jokeefe: will check for your on facebook
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Planks & Other Discussions - we have been working on a number of solutions to increase communication among members and broaden decisionmaking
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Will get people invited to loomio (for decisionmaking) this weekend
[9:38pm] jokeefe: Local Chapters
[9:38pm] jokeefe: Somerville has another meeting coming up
[9:39pm] jokeefe: Hoping to help Boston get started up
[9:39pm] jokeefe: Joe_O any possibility with Lowell?
[9:40pm] Joe_O: I would be happy to invest time to get it started with some guidance.
[9:41pm] jokeefe: Sure, lets talk. I think picking a time/location for a meeting and emailing/calling people is a good first start
[9:41pm] Joe_O: Also, the voters still really use the Lowell Sun, so we should run an ad there as well.
[9:43pm] jokeefe: any free events listing?
[9:44pm] Joe_O: None that I know of. However a single ad will not break the bank.
[9:44pm] jokeefe: you know your town best
[9:46pm] Joe_O: We can discuss further during a meeting, were we can discuss the strategy.
[9:46pm] Joe_O: Sorry, I meant where.
[9:47pm] jokeefe: agreed
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Next event is Day against DRM
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Hoping to turn it into an organizing opportunity for Boston
[9:50pm] jokeefe: certainly aiming to turn people out for it
[9:50pm] jokeefe: That is all I have.
[9:50pm] jokeefe: How are things in Lowell?
[9:51pm] Joe_O: Hot
[9:52pm] Joe_O: I did take the liberty of creating a discord server so that we can chat at anytime
[9:52pm] hvxgr: 'discord server' ?
[9:53pm] jokeefe: ok, please send the connection details
[9:53pm] hvxgr: gaming?
[9:53pm] Joe_O: Sure, I'll be happy to.
[9:54pm] Joe_O: Yes, It's usual used in gaming videos, but I have seen it used for other chat.
[9:54pm] Joe_O: Plus it's free.
[9:54pm] Joe_O: If we wanted to put it right on Youtube, we could.
[9:54pm] Joe_O: Another tool for getting the word out there to as many people as possible.
[9:55pm] jokeefe: we are looking at mattermost as a slack alternative
[9:55pm] hvxgr: Chat is balkanized/frustrating; big topic/OT.  OK, all I found so far: www.discordservers.com.
[9:56pm] hvxgr: I just started looking at it during the mtg.
[9:56pm] jokeefe: yeah
[9:57pm] Joe_O: I am sorry if I pulled us off topic.
[9:57pm] hvxgr: Used slack at work but very little. Green party also used it. Liked that you post code, but otherwise just used for chat.
[9:58pm] hvxgr: (thot I was going OT  )
[9:58pm] jokeefe: try to use self hosted solutions, I know the CA Pirates have used slack
[9:59pm] Joe_O: We could use Ventrillo too, any solution works.
[9:59pm] hvxgr: So mayfirst.org for example would host your 'mattermost' server?
[9:59pm] jokeefe: that’s the idea. working on it
[10:00pm] jokeefe: we are at time.
[10:01pm] jokeefe: motion to adjourn? we can talk chat servers after if we want
[10:01pm] Joe_O: Second?
[10:02pm] hvxgr: adjourn, then a bit about jabber maybe?
[10:02pm] hvxgr: second
[10:02pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[10:02pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:02pm] Joe_O: Aye
[10:02pm] jokeefe: oh my jabber, isn’t that owned by Cisco now?
[10:03pm] Joe_O: https://discord.gg/FND2QwU
[10:03pm] papegaai: Title: Discord (at discord.gg)
[10:03pm] Joe_O: <3
[10:03pm] hvxgr: Not sure, I was trying to figure out if I should care about it.  It does not seem to be dead though.
[10:05pm] jokeefe: thanks for the link Joe_O
[10:05pm] jokeefe: I will post notes.