June 21st, 2012 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


1. Upcoming Events

2. Should we provide a VPN for members?

3. National Party News

4. Anything else folks want to bring up

Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:

1. Upcoming Events

2. Should we provide a VPN for members?

There is an opportunity for Massachusetts Pirate Party to offer a low-cost VPN service to our members. Some of the other state parties are interested and will pursue this option.

A VPN service can be used to protect a member's privacy. For example, you can browse certain websites and use a protocol such as BitTorrent through your VPN provider. Your computer will have an encrypted communication to the VPN server and someone trying to snoop on your connection will be unable to tell what you are doing.

This is managed by PPI (Pirate Parties International). The VPN service would allow members to pay with multiple currencies including Bitcoin, but they could also use a regular credit card. The cost is as low as $5 per month. Mass Pirate Party would receive half of the proceeds so we would have to ensure that we are complying with campaign finance laws.

3. National Party News

erixoltan wrote:

   At this week's PNC meeting there was a question about whether the Mass
   Pirate Party would like to participate in a joint event involving
   multiple state parties on the Internet. Each state party would get
   together at a certain location and we'd have something along the lines
   of a Google+ hangout. Proposed dates were July 21 and 28.


  • jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville
  • SplendidSpoon - Lauren Pespisa, Boxboro/Cambridge
  • erixoltan - Erik Zoltan, Framingham
  • wingedearth -
  • kitwalsh - Kit Walsh, Cambridge


  • [bsod]
  • brandon
  • illunatic
  • [Derek]


1. Upcoming Events

  • Pirate lunch - Monday, June 25th at noon in Cambridge
  • Liquid Feedback Hackathon - Sunday, July 1st, starting at 3pm
  • July In-person meeting - Poll - http://www.doodle.com/sy65v4u4zdstnw7q
  • Summer Pirate Picnic

2. Should we provide a VPN for members?

Jamie will create an email address to use for testing: vpn@masspirates.org. Erix will research.

Once we know more info, we can write up the request for an advisory opinion from the OCPF.

3. National Party News

National party pushed back the date to have a constitution to July 18th.

Different states are looking to have pirate picnics and live stream them to each other.

SplendidSpoon offered to host. Exploring dates.

Meeting Minutes


[12:02] <@jokeefe> BTW: Agenda - http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=June_21st,_2012_IRC_Meeting [12:02] <@SplendidSpoon> I am now [12:02] <@jokeefe> good [12:02] <@SplendidSpoon> But my car doesn't have it [12:02] <@jokeefe> ugh [12:02] <@SplendidSpoon> so it was a brutal drive [12:02] <@jokeefe> all the more reason to move closer to work :-) [12:03] <@SplendidSpoon> yep [12:03] <@jokeefe> MBTA has AC, generally [12:03] <@jokeefe> I was surprised that my house was at least ten degrees cooler when I got home yesterday. [12:05] <@SplendidSpoon> cool. yea my house has good AC also. Geothermal [12:05] <@jokeefe> NICE! [12:06] <@SplendidSpoon> Yea it's cool the hotter it is outside the cooler the house is actually because of some differential thing [12:06] <@jokeefe> The Artisan's Asylum has it as well for heating and cooling [12:06] <@SplendidSpoon> interesting [12:06] <@SplendidSpoon> I thought you need a private well for that... [12:06] <@SplendidSpoon> I mean, we use our well for it, maybe there's another method [12:07] <@jokeefe> it was already installed at the site they are renting [12:08] <@jokeefe> ok, lets get this show on the road [12:08] <@SplendidSpoon> ok [12:09] <@jokeefe> 1. Upcoming Events [12:09] <@jokeefe> Pirate lunch - Monday, June 25th at noon in Cambridge Liquid Feedback Hackathon - Sunday, July 1st, starting at 3pm July In-person meeting - Poll - http://www.doodle.com/sy65v4u4zdstnw7q [12:09] == erixoltan [~erixoltan@hknv-28-026-620-99.bstnma.fios.verizon.net] has joined #masspirates [12:09] == mode/#masspirates [+o erixoltan] by [4Q] [12:09] == mode/#masspirates [+v erixoltan] by [4Q] [12:09] <@erixoltan> Hi [12:09] <@jokeefe> hey, erixoltan! [12:09] == mode/#masspirates [+l 16] by [4Q] [12:09] <@jokeefe> just starting [12:09] <@erixoltan> Sorry was on old server [12:10] <@jokeefe> anyone else there? [12:11] <@jokeefe> guess not [12:11] <@jokeefe> just checked [12:11] <@jokeefe> Anyway - Upcoming events [12:11] <@jokeefe> Pirate lunch monday [12:11] <@jokeefe> Liquid Feedback Hackathon following Sunday [12:12] <@jokeefe> July in-person meeting poll up [12:12] <@jokeefe> Hope you all can make them/provide input on the vote [12:13] <@erixoltan> I will be at the hackathon [12:13] <@erixoltan> May be late for lunch but plan to go [12:13] <@SplendidSpoon> I want to be, there's a fare strike action that day though. [12:14] <@SplendidSpoon> Not sure what time, I think the socialists are doing it. [12:14] <@jokeefe> yes, there are always more than one event going on :-) [12:15] == wingedearth_ [webchat@38.111.xr.ug] has joined #masspirates [12:15] == mode/#masspirates [+v wingedearth_] by [4Q] [12:15] <@jokeefe> hey wingedearth! [12:15] <+wingedearth_> hello? [12:15] == mode/#masspirates [+l 17] by [4Q] [12:15] <+wingedearth_> what's happenin? [12:15] <@erixoltan> When your socialist and anarchist friends get together do they have loud arguments? [12:15] <+wingedearth_> I can never remember the server name here [12:15] <@jokeefe> just going over our current events [12:15] <+wingedearth_> I thought it was irc.freenode.net [12:16] <@SplendidSpoon> We switched [12:16] <@jokeefe> agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=June_21st,_2012_IRC_Meeting [12:16] <+wingedearth_> so what's it now? [12:16] <@jokeefe> pirateirc.net [12:16] <+wingedearth_> ok, lemme switch to colloquy [12:17] <@erixoltan> I use ashburn-us.pirateirc.net [12:17] == wingedearth [~andrew@ltsxwh-357-937-966-842.mycingular.net] has joined #masspirates [12:17] == mode/#masspirates [+v wingedearth] by [4Q] [12:17] <+wingedearth> here I am [12:17] == mode/#masspirates [+l 18] by [4Q] [12:18] <+wingedearth> pirateirc.net didn't work, but the ash burn one did [12:18] <@erixoltan> Cool [12:18] == wingedearth_ [webchat@38.111.xr.ug] has quit [Client Quit] [12:18] <@SplendidSpoon> weird mine works just fine [12:18] <+wingedearth> maybe I'm doing something wrong [12:19] <+wingedearth> so I've been on this big free&open software kick [12:19] <@jokeefe> cool [12:19] <+wingedearth> have been transitioning all my main apps over [12:19] <+wingedearth> it took all day yesterday to switch from Apple Mail to Thunderbird [12:19] <@jokeefe> sigh [12:19] <@erixoltan> USPP is excited about our hackathon [12:19] <@jokeefe> cool [12:20] <@jokeefe> should we live stream it? [12:20] <@erixoltan> No, we should keep notes so they can replicate. [12:20] <@jokeefe> works for me [12:21] <@jokeefe> speaking of uspp, that brings us to 2. Should we provide a VPN for members? [12:21] <+wingedearth> then I've got RSSOwl, Adium, OpenOffice, Transmission, Cyberduck, Firefox, Colloquy, Scribus, Skim, Handbrake, VLC, Songbird, Audacity [12:21] <@jokeefe> how is Scribus? [12:21] <+wingedearth> haven't tried it yet [12:21] <+wingedearth> just downloaded it yesterday [12:21] <+wingedearth> I'm writing a novel, so will work on layout in Scribus when I'm done [12:22] <+wingedearth> Songbird is pretty good. I did not like Miro [12:22] <+wingedearth> Transmission > Vuze [12:22] <@SplendidSpoon> brb boss talking to me [12:22] <@jokeefe> I'll have to look it up then. [12:22] <@jokeefe> k, SplendidSpoon [12:22] <@[4Q]> jokeefe there is no spoon [12:22] <@erixoltan> So on the VPN [12:22] <@jokeefe> yes [12:23] == kitwalsh [webchat@sxul-280-387-303-72.fas.harvard.edu] has joined #masspirates [12:23] <@jokeefe> there are two issues that I can see [12:23] == mode/#masspirates [+v kitwalsh] by [4Q] [12:23] <@jokeefe> hey kitwalsh! [12:23] <@erixoltan> I was going to volunteer to be a guinea pig [12:23] == mode/#masspirates [+l 18] by [4Q] [12:23] <+kitwalsh> hi everybody! [12:23] <@jokeefe> sounds good erixoltan. got a sniffer? [12:23] <@erixoltan> No why? [12:24] <@jokeefe> to make sure the vpn really is encrypted [12:24] <@erixoltan> Oh I will sign up and check. [12:24] <@jokeefe> i am sure it is, but would be good to verify [12:24] <+wingedearth> is this for sharing files amongst masspirates? [12:25] <@jokeefe> see item 2 in http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=June_21st,_2012_IRC_Meeting [12:25] <@erixoltan> My idea was to see what info they provide and you can determine if you see problems. [12:25] <@jokeefe> PPInt offering VPN to state/national parties that can use it for members [12:25] <@jokeefe> some of the fees would be given to state/national party that referred them. [12:26] <@erixoltan> The goal of VPN would be to provide privacy to our members and raise money. [12:26] <+wingedearth> sounds fine and dandy [12:26] <@jokeefe> I think testing it out and seeing what info we get would help iron out any questions we have. [12:27] <@jokeefe> I can create an email vpn@masspirates.org and we can go from there. [12:27] <@jokeefe> we probably would need to setup a page to capture any info not collected. [12:27] <@jokeefe> to comply with campaign finance laws [12:28] <@erixoltan> Cool [12:28] <@erixoltan> Should we ask Travis to move forward on a trial basis [12:28] <@jokeefe> I am not sure about bitcoins as payment or the fact that a corp is collecting the money and giving us a cut [12:28] <@erixoltan> And hold off on publicizing it? [12:28] <@jokeefe> Yes [12:29] <@erixoltan> K [12:29] <@jokeefe> I'll create the email tonight and point it to you & officers [12:29] <@jokeefe> for now [12:29] <@jokeefe> does that work for everyone else? [12:30] <+wingedearth> sure [12:30] <@erixoltan> Yup [12:31] <@erixoltan> Brb [12:31] <@jokeefe> SplendidSpoon? [12:31] <@[4Q]> jokeefe there is no spoon [12:31] <@erixoltan> back sorry [12:31] <+wingedearth> lol [12:32] <@erixoltan> darn ipad [12:32] <@jokeefe> I like keyboards [12:32] <@jokeefe> tactile keyboards [12:32] <@erixoltan> yeah I had to connect one and it made me exit [12:33] <@jokeefe> ugh [12:33] <@erixoltan> my toddler knows how to turn off bluetooth ,,,,,,, [12:33] <@jokeefe> sucks battery power, good eye [12:33] <@erixoltan> not to mention the stream of emails he sent my boss [12:33] <+wingedearth> iPads seem fun, but I prefer a laptop [12:33] <@jokeefe> kitwalsh, does this plan work? [12:34] <@jokeefe> Going once [12:35] <@jokeefe> Going twice [12:35] <+wingedearth> alternative to bitcoins? [12:35] <@jokeefe> really currency [12:35] <@jokeefe> real currency [12:35] <+wingedearth> IRL? [12:36] <+wingedearth> real currency? Like gold and silver? [12:36] <+wingedearth> or fiât paper [12:36] <@jokeefe> paper money and bits identified as dollars/euros/etc. [12:36] <+wingedearth> euros? might as well use toilet paper [12:37] <@jokeefe> seeing no objections, we move forward with a trial [12:37] <@jokeefe> Next 3. National Party News [12:37] <@jokeefe> would you talk about this erixoltan? [12:37] <@erixoltan> There is a major push to get the constitution ratified by July 4. Last night the PNC voted a two week extension to allow that to happen. [12:38] <@erixoltan> California is a member of the PNC - I think that is new since our last meeting. [12:38] <@erixoltan> QuazarGuy is the secretary of the PNC and he is stepping aside - Kusanagi is filling in until we get a constitution and appoint new officers. [12:39] <@erixoltan> PNC Chairman Travis McCrea is moving back from California to the US and plans to create an Idaho Pirate Party. [12:39] <@jokeefe> you mean Canada? [12:39] <@erixoltan> whoops [12:39] <@erixoltan> yes [12:39] <@[4Q]> pfft, only human [12:40] <@jokeefe> is there a draft constitution yet? [12:40] <@erixoltan> And the USPP website has identified enough people in the same county in Colorado to try and create a Colorado Pirate Party. There are 5 in the same party. [12:40] <@jokeefe> yay! [12:40] <+wingedearth> What are the key points of this constitution? [12:40] <@erixoltan> There is a document but it does not rise to the level of a "draft constitution". We are hoping to have one by the next PNC meeting. [12:41] <@erixoltan> The goal of the constitution is that it gives the PNC (Pirate National Committee) a permanent mandate to exist, and governs the processes of the USPP. It should comply with FEC guidelines. [12:41] <@erixoltan> Those are the items that come to mind at a national level. [12:41] <@erixoltan> Travis has offered to speak at local events, and I thought of our next conference. [12:41] <@jokeefe> FEC guidelines only apply if USPP is raising and spending money [12:41] <+wingedearth> sounds good [12:42] <@jokeefe> anything you want guidance on? [12:43] <@erixoltan> uh.. [12:43] <@erixoltan> There was one thing. [12:43] <@erixoltan> There is a plan by some state parties to create a joint "picnic" event and stream it to other parties using something like a google+ hangout. I said I'd ask if Mass is interested. [12:43] <@erixoltan> I think I sent an email late last night? [12:44] <@jokeefe> right, it is in the agenda :-) [12:44] <@erixoltan> so nothing else besides that where I wanted guidance. [12:44] <@jokeefe> we talked about having a picnic, but haven't set a date [12:44] <@jokeefe> streaming implies being inside, hard to have a picnic inside, but I like the idea. [12:45] <@erixoltan> could be a backyard bbq... [12:45] <@jokeefe> true [12:45] <@SplendidSpoon> I'd totally offer my backyard for a BBQ [12:45] <@SplendidSpoon> but it's in Boxboro [12:45] <@jokeefe> got a pool? [12:45] <@SplendidSpoon> Nah I wish [12:45] <@SplendidSpoon> We always wanted one but septic tank [12:45] <@erixoltan> I have a toddler pool.... [12:46] <@jokeefe> dang, that would get my kids there [12:46] <@SplendidSpoon> But it's a big yard, screened in porch, nie grill [12:46] <@SplendidSpoon> If we were ever desperate [12:46] <@jokeefe> I have an inflatable toddler pool as well. [12:46] <@jokeefe> sprinkler, slip and slide? [12:46] <@erixoltan> My kids would go anywhere that there is a Minecraft server. [12:46] <@jokeefe> my son too. [12:47] <@jokeefe> haha we could have them create a virtual model of the picnic sites! [12:47] <@erixoltan> lmao [12:47] <@jokeefe> where are those VR glasses when you need one [12:47] <@erixoltan> How about a pirate picnic in Second Life, pretty much the same thing. [12:47] <@SplendidSpoon> lol [12:48] <@jokeefe> true, but minecraft seems more creative and it was created by a Swedish Pirate [12:48] <@erixoltan> ooooh [12:49] <@jokeefe> so, Pirate picnic at SplendidSpoon's place, with minipools, bbq and slip and slide. I can bring a 720p web cam [12:49] <@[4Q]> jokeefe there is no spoon [12:49] <@jokeefe> when? [12:50] <@SplendidSpoon> hmmm [12:50] <@jokeefe> oh and minecraft virtual world [12:50] <@jokeefe> when do the national folks want to do it? [12:50] <@SplendidSpoon> Sounds good if you all don't mind the drive :) [12:50] <@erixoltan> July 14 or July 28 - they didn't have an actual date and i would not be surprised if it's neither of those two. [12:50] <@SplendidSpoon> Also, my Dad's drone will have arrived by then [12:50] <@jokeefe> lol [12:50] <@jokeefe> can we stream from it? [12:50] <@SplendidSpoon> It's true! I ordered him a drone for fathers day [12:50] <@SplendidSpoon> Possibly [12:51] <@SplendidSpoon> It has connection to ipad, iphone and android [12:51] <@SplendidSpoon> and camera onit [12:51] <@SplendidSpoon> and we have good internet connection so it could be possible [12:52] <@SplendidSpoon> My parents would love to have you guys but gotta make sure it's not like, someone's birthday or some other party that same night [12:52] <@SplendidSpoon> summer has a lot of holidays for my family and my yard is default gathering place [12:52] <@jokeefe> I have a preexisting event on the 28th in the morning/early afternoon, not that that should limit folks. [12:52] <@erixoltan> So should I say back that we're generally interested but we need a specific date? [12:52] <@jokeefe> aye [12:53] <@SplendidSpoon> Yes and get the date to me ASAP so I can check with parents. They'd love to meet everyone too wow [12:53] <@SplendidSpoon> How exciting. [12:53] <@jokeefe> maybe check what days are available? [12:53] <@erixoltan> will ask [12:54] <@erixoltan> SplendidS [12:54] <@erixoltan> SplendidSpoon if you have specific dates that would work let me know [12:54] <@[4Q]> erixoltan there is no spoon [12:54] <@jokeefe> thanks! this sounds great. also, ArtBeat is July 13/14, and i know my family plans to attend. [12:55] <@jokeefe> still, later afternoon can work both days if need be. also, don't schedule around my conflicts [12:55] <@erixoltan> Since California is interested, it probably won't be too early. [12:55] <@jokeefe> if need be, I can move my plans on the 28th. [12:55] <@jokeefe> good point, WA too [12:56] <@SplendidSpoon> ok I emailed my Mum [12:56] <@SplendidSpoon> omg that bot is so annoying [12:56] <@SplendidSpoon> because my name is Spoon [12:56] <@[4Q]> SplendidSpoon there is no spoon [12:57] <@SplendidSpoon> Someone do that on purpose? [12:57] <@SplendidSpoon> lol [12:57] <@jokeefe> talk with bsod [12:58] <@jokeefe> so we have a plan, thanks for offering to host Splendid [12:58] <+wingedearth> spoon [12:58] <@[4Q]> wingedearth there is no spoon [12:58] <@jokeefe> any other business? [12:58] <+wingedearth> 4Q, is there a spoon? [12:58] <@[4Q]> wingedearth there is no spoon [12:59] <+wingedearth> Ah, thanks for clearing that up. [12:59] <@jokeefe> lol [13:02] <@SplendidSpoon> lol [13:02] <@erixoltan> omg [13:02] <@jokeefe> ? [13:02] <@erixoltan> just the s*p*o*o*n thing [13:03] <@jokeefe> ah [13:03] <@jokeefe> just ignore it. maybe it will go away ;-) [13:03] <@jokeefe> ok, motion to adjourn unless there is anything else anyone wants to bring up? [13:04] <@erixoltan> none here [13:04] <@jokeefe> 2nd? [13:05] <@erixoltan> second [13:05] <@jokeefe> all in favor of adjourning? [13:05] <@erixoltan> eye [13:05] <@jokeefe> :-) though folks can hang out here of course [13:05] <+wingedearth> aye [13:05] <@jokeefe> a/eye [13:06] <+wingedearth> adjourn for lunch [13:06] <@erixoltan> neigh ;) [13:06] <@jokeefe> aye! [13:06] <+wingedearth> Free Luna [13:06] <+wingedearth> (Robert Heinlein reference) [13:06] <@erixoltan> I'm going to need a bigger spoon to eat my soup... [13:06] <@[4Q]> erixoltan there is no spoon [13:06] <@erixoltan> lmao [13:07] <@jokeefe> alright, the pirate noises have it. thanks everyone.