June 24th, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Facial Recognition Tech

Decisions/Endorsements

New national time

Projects

Goals for Q3 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed

Boston Sex Worker Event

Major sting against Sex workers

https://domaingang.com/domain-crime/feds-take-down-cityxguide-com-and-bodyrubshop-com-in-multi-million-dollar-sting/

Computer donations

Regional Meetings/Events

All meetings on hold due to Covid-19.

Leader: jokeefe

  • Boston (jokeefe)
  • Worcester (Malt)
  • Lowell (Joe)
  • Boston Pride Festival (emailed them that we transferred our table to 2021)
    • table booked
    • setup signup sheet
    • Announce
    • Need to purchase insurance
    • Need volunteer sign up form
    • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?

Bills

No clue where things are now due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Right to Repair

  • out of committee
  • next email will urge supporters to call their state senator/rep. and urge them to support it
  • see if people willing to setup meeting with reps.

Facial Recognition and other bills still in committee.

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Other To Do

Tabled Projects

National Party

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • Summer 2020, ?, Boston Meetup
  • Summer 2020, ?, Worcester Meetup
  • Summer 2020, ?, Springfield Meetup
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Culture House, Harvard Square
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNe Tech Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 5/?, 2pm-4pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, on-line

Participants

  • jokeefe
  • Pirate_Joe
  • srevilak
  • Malt

Observers

  • davidd
  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy

Summary

Facial Recogition Tech. Boston passed moratorium unanimously on use of the tech. No update on state moratorium yet.

Pirate National. PP Wisconsin suggested moving natl' IRC meeting to Sundays 9pm. Would potentially interfere with pirate news recordings. That said, could also encourage us to keep them shorter and more focused. Agree to support national meetings at Sunday 9pm.

Pirate News. Preference for sticking to the usual time of Sunday 7pm.

Boston Sex Worker Event. Discussion of MA's phased reopening. Tentative Red Umbrella day on July 25th or Aug 22nd. Will send dates around for feedback.

Minutes

 
21:05 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
       https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_24th,_2020_IRC_Meeting
21:05 <@jokeefe> ids
21:05 <@jokeefe> Anything to add?
21:05 < Pirate_Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:05 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:05 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:05 < Malt> sam capradae, worcester
21:06 < Pirate_Joe> Review - Major sting against Sex workers
21:07 < Malt> ugh~
21:07 <@jokeefe> discuss under	Boston Sex Worker Event?
21:07 < Pirate_Joe> Sounds good
21:07 <@jokeefe> Review
21:07 <@jokeefe> Facial Recognition Tech
21:08 <@jokeefe> Boston city council passed a moratorium unanimously
21:08 <@jokeefe> Still working on the state moratorium, but haven’t
       heard an update yet
21:08 <@jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements
21:09 <@jokeefe> New national time
21:09 <@jokeefe> PP Wisconsin suggested moving the national party IRC
       meeting to Sunday at 9pm Eastern
21:10 < Pirate_Joe> I am against, Monday would be better. Plus I don't
       want to rush through our recordings if I don't have to.
21:11 <@jokeefe> I can do Mondays
21:11 < Pirate_Joe> Though I am keen to hear what you all are thinking.
21:11 <@jokeefe> Malt’s schedule is the least flexible
21:12 <@jokeefe> Though we are all working from home, so could try during
       the afternoon on a weekday if that is better for everyone.
21:12 < Malt> what
21:12 < Malt> sorry
21:12 < Pirate_Joe> 21:08:58@jokeefeDecisions/Endorsements
21:12 < Pirate_Joe> 21:09:00@jokeefeNew national time
21:12 < Pirate_Joe> 21:09:24@jokeefePP Wisconsin suggested moving the
       national party IRC meeting to Sunday at 9pm Eastern
21:12 < Pirate_Joe> 21:10:26Pirate_JoeI am against, Monday would be
       better. Plus I don't want to rush through our recordings if I don't
       have to.
21:12 < Pirate_Joe> 21:11:15@jokeefeI can do Mondays
21:12 < Pirate_Joe> 21:11:17Pirate_JoeThough I am keen to hear what you
       all are thinking.
21:12 < Pirate_Joe> 21:11:51@jokeefeMalt’s schedule is the least
       flexible
21:12 < Pirate_Joe> 21:12:11← Malt has quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
21:12 < Pirate_Joe> 21:12:14@jokeefeThough we are all working from home,
       so could try during the afternoon on a weekday if that is better for
       everyone.
21:12 < Malt> i haven't been attending national meetings
21:13 < Malt> whichever works for  y'all, i'll try and make what i can
21:13 < Pirate_Joe> We would like you to. Your keen insight is always
       welcome.
21:13 < Pirate_Joe> Would Monday's work for you Malt or are Sundays
       better?
21:14 < Pirate_Joe> We could try to move recordings to Monday though
       this week I failed to attend.
21:14 < Malt> if we could group it close to when we have our recordings
       i might be able to make that
21:14 < Malt> two birds one stone
21:14 < Malt> fewer things to remember would be nice XD
21:15 < Pirate_Joe> Thing is moving the recording or meeting to the same
       time would present challenges to both.
21:15 < Pirate_Joe> Though I can say perhaps shorter recordings would
       be better so maybe we can give it a shot.
21:16 < Malt> i meant one after the other
21:17 < Pirate_Joe> You all are my bro's and the reason I'm still part
       of the party after what happened with the national committee.  So I am
       happy to work with you for the greater good.
21:17 < Malt> mondays are usually when i teach around that time
21:17 < Malt> but my student has been flaky of late and i think she will
       drop soon
21:17 < Pirate_Joe> Ok, then lets accept the Sunday change for now with
       an option to strike it for any reason.
21:18 <@jokeefe> Having shorter recordings could be good
21:19 < Pirate_Joe> We want to keep them to 5 minute blasts.  If we have
       more to record we really should do separate videos for them.
21:19 < Pirate_Joe> Internet attention spans are short.
21:20 <@jokeefe> Are others ok with a national meeting change to Sunday?
21:20 < Malt> lol yeeeaaaahhhhh
21:20 < Malt> i think there's some demand for more thorough coverage,
       idk if we're the ones for it
21:20 < Pirate_Joe> So long as we link our references, people will keep
       coming to us.
21:21 <@jokeefe> People listen to hour long pod casts, so going over 5
       minutes isn’t the end of the world
21:22 < Pirate_Joe> True, but our usual drop off of viewing is about 5
1/2 minutes.
21:22 <@jokeefe> the joys of analytics
21:22 < Pirate_Joe> Until we are bigger, having easier to consume content
       with 0 ads is the way to go.
21:23 < Pirate_Joe> Well, lets never have adds actually.
21:23 < Pirate_Joe> ads are evil in many ways.....
21:23 < srevilak> yes, no ads please
21:23 < Malt> that's a smart point
21:23 <@jokeefe> Aye
21:23 <@jokeefe> So national meetings at Sunday 9pm it is.
21:24 <@jokeefe> Projects
21:24 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter/Podcast
21:24 < Pirate_Joe> Lets stick to Sundays as usual.
21:25 < Pirate_Joe> jokeefe, do we usually link people to the
       blog/wiki/crew on every video?
21:25 < srevilak> Sunday 7pm is good
21:25 <@jokeefe> Not everytime. usually only if we mention something
       there.
21:26 <@jokeefe> We should have a stock Find us/sign up at set of links
21:26 < Pirate_Joe> I suggest we do them in every video.
21:26 < Pirate_Joe> The main point of the views is to help with the
       cause and inform the public.  Having them all on your email blasts would
       be clutch.
21:27 <@jokeefe> Agreed
21:27 < Malt> nice
21:27 <@jokeefe> Sunday 7pm is fine for me too. Ok for you Malt?
21:27 < Malt> good by me
21:27 <@jokeefe> great
21:27 <@jokeefe> Boston Sex Worker Event
21:27 < Pirate_Joe> I am sorry for missing the last one. I had 9pm for
       the recording.
21:28 <@jokeefe> It happens
21:29 < Pirate_Joe>
       https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/when-will-phase-3-of-reopening-begin-in-massachusetts/2147527/
21:29 <@jokeefe> More domain seizures, ugh.
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> phase 3 will be no sooner than july 6th
21:30 <@jokeefe> Have we started to ban people from the current site of
       the pandemic?
21:31 < srevilak> You mean Florida?
21:31 < Malt> that's a real confluence of shit
21:31 < Pirate_Joe> New surges of the pandemic are still all in the west
       and south.
21:31 <@jokeefe> one among many, FL is bad
21:31 < Pirate_Joe> today has had the highest amount of +s so far
21:32 < srevilak> CA and Texas had large jump in # of cases yesterday
21:32 < Pirate_Joe> So I would like to shoot for Aug but we will see
21:32 < Pirate_Joe> Like late August
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> What Businesses Are Still Closed in Massachusetts?
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> Any business in Phase 3 and 4 of the reopening plan
       is still required to stay closed. That includes:
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> Bars, nightclubs, dance clubs, beer gardens,
       breweries, distilleries and wineries (Phase 4)
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> Outdoor weddings, events and large gatherings with
       moderate capacity (Phase 3)
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> Outdoor camps (Phase 3)
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> Movie theaters (Phase 3 for moderate-capacity
       theaters, Phase 4 for large-capacity theaters)
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> Gyms, fitness clubs and health clubs (Phase 3,
       with their sauas, steam rooms and hot tubs in Phase 4)
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> Indoor amateur sports and athletic facilities besides
       for youth programs (Phase 3)
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> Museums and aquariums (Phase 3)
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> Indoor historic spaces (Phase 3)
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> Moderate-capacity theaters and performance halls
       (Phase 3)
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> Large-capacity venues, like theaters, ballrooms,
       stadiums and convention halls (Phase 4)
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> Amusement parks, theme parks and water parks (Phase 4)
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> Non-athletic instructional classes for arts, education
       or life skills, for anyone 18 or older and in groups of any size (Phase 3)
21:34 < Pirate_Joe> Outdoor events are phase 3, so holding a large
       meeting will still have to wait.
21:35 < Malt> i mean this with no disrespect, but how large is large?
21:36 < Malt> i think we had a little over a dozen in boston for that
       camera scouting day
21:37 < Pirate_Joe> Fair enough, but if we are looking to network with
       other groups, it's going to have to wait.
21:37 <@jokeefe> breaking up into teams with social distancing is possible
21:38 < Pirate_Joe> Also, I have a microphone. <3
21:38 <@jokeefe> great
21:38 < Pirate_Joe> Needs a little love to work proper, but man does
       it work.
21:38 < Pirate_Joe> Now we just need an official soap box
21:39 < Malt> socially distanced camera spotting might be fun
21:39 < Malt> oh!
21:39 < Malt> we could show people how to use plant/bug ID apps
21:39 < Malt> iNaturalist is the best one, and that's used by scientists
       to study populations
21:41 <@jokeefe> know any good ones?
21:41 < Malt> iNaturalist
21:41 < Malt> it's basically like irl pokemon
21:41 <@jokeefe> cool
21:42 < Pirate_Joe> Does July 25 work for a Red Umbrella day?
21:43 < Pirate_Joe> Or August 22?
21:43 < Pirate_Joe> Send to list for thoughts?
21:44 < srevilak> Both days ok for me
21:44 < Pirate_Joe> Same for me.
21:44 < Malt> i have abjured the calendar
21:44 < Malt> time has no meaning
21:44 <@jokeefe> yeah
21:44 < Malt> i might be dead or arrested, but if im free it sounds lovely
21:45 < Pirate_Joe> They are both Saturdays towards the end each
       perspective month.
21:45 <@jokeefe> Good idea to send to the list for others to offer
       suggestions
21:45 < Pirate_Joe> Seems right.
21:45 <@jokeefe> a camera mapping day would be good too
21:46 < Pirate_Joe> We could do one as the RU-SW day and the other
       Cam-Exposer day
21:47 <@jokeefe> sounds good
21:48 < Pirate_Joe> In Australia, they did it in the dead of summer so
       the most people would see.
21:48 < Pirate_Joe> I think a bunch of Pirates handing out red umbrellas
       and cookies would make a strong impact.
21:49 < Malt> definitely sends an image
21:50 < Malt> a very particular kind of goth
21:50 <@jokeefe> Pirate logo cookies?
21:50 < Pirate_Joe> We could do it as a bake sale for donations.
       Maybe cover the cost of the flyers we will be handing out.
21:51 < Malt> pirate logo sounds hard
21:52 < Malt> maybe it's a "pirate" recipe liberated from a famous brand
       or something?
21:52 < Malt> we could put the recipe on the flyer. that'd make people
       interested
21:52 < Pirate_Joe> The pirate logo would be easy actually
21:52 < Malt> oh?
21:52 < Pirate_Joe> Yeah, just make a regular cookie with a pirate logo
       in sprinkles.
21:53 < Pirate_Joe> Black ones at that. <3
21:53 < Pirate_Joe>
       https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pirate+flag+cookie+cutter&crid=1VFDUMNN96F5X&sprefix=pirate+flag+cookie+%2Caps%2C157&ref=nb_sb_ss_ac-a-p_1_19
21:54 < Pirate_Joe> We can just shape one as we see fit.
21:54 < Pirate_Joe> just a pair of plyers and a bit of elbow grease.
21:54 < Malt> I was thinking of the P-shaped flag logo
21:54 < Malt> LMAO
21:55 < Malt> whoooooops. yes. of course that would be simple.
21:55 < Pirate_Joe> Yeah, if your looking for smooth edges you just need
       to apply a bit of heat which any stove will do the job.
21:55 < Pirate_Joe> may have done it once or twice as a prank.
21:56 < srevilak>
       https://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Flag-cookie-cutter-piece/dp/B07TSY6T7J/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1VFDUMNN96F5X&dchild=1&keywords=pirate+flag+cookie+cutter&qid=1593050137&sprefix=pirate+flag+cookie+%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-13
21:56 < srevilak> that's kind of neat
21:56 < Malt> I've seen a bunch of Nailed It, I can probably bake by now
21:56 <@jokeefe> $17 seems a bit much for a cookie cutter
21:56 < Malt> i made a pudding pie one time
21:56 < Malt> i wish there was foodsafe 3D printer plastic
21:57 < Malt> that would be a fun tech demo
21:57 <@jokeefe> But would be good to try a fill it with jelly
21:57 < Pirate_Joe> During both events, can we also push the meshnet
       tech out?
21:57 < srevilak> Here's idea: 3D print the cookie cutter.
       https://www.amazon.com/Printed-Pirate-Crossbones-Cookie-Cutter/dp/B07W4S831S/ref=sr_1_45?crid=1VFDUMNN96F5X&dchild=1&keywords=pirate+flag+cookie+cutter&qid=1593050137&sprefix=pirate+flag+cookie+%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-45
21:58 <@jokeefe> The could work too
21:58 < Malt> that's great joe
21:59 <@jokeefe> That’s all I have and we are nearly at time.
21:59 < srevilak> motion to adjourn?
21:59 <@jokeefe> 2nd
21:59 < Malt> aye
21:59 < srevilak> will post transcript