June 27th, 2016 IRC Meeting
Review & Welcome
- PirateCon & Officer Elections
- Things to add?
Aaron James Campaign
- Western Mass. cryptoparty tentatively set for August. Awaiting a final date. Possibly in Shelburne Falls.
- Possible cryptoparty at a Boston Public Library
- Possible cryptoparty at a Somerville Public Library
- Possible cryptoparty at a Middlesex Community College in September
- Possible cryptoparty at a high school after August. Not Pirate Party event of course.
- No word on Taunton cryptoparty
Also, may have some how to FOIA talks lined up. Muckrock interested in doing one for high school students and Maya Shaffer offered to give one to a more general audience.
Planning to take the noon ferry. Might be useful to have folks arrive early to get a table. Schedule and tickets.
Freedom Rally is 9/17-18. Are we signed up? If not when must we?
- July, Democracy/IT meeting
- 7/27, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
- August, WMass Cryptoparty?
- 8/7, noon+ (11am ferry), Pirate Picnic, Georges Island
- 8/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
- 9/17-18, Freedom Rally
- 9/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
- How to file a FOIA request by Maya Shaffer
Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11am-noon, 101 Main Street, Cambridge
- jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
- Lulu (Lucia Fiero)
- srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
Piratecon. Around 18 attendees over the course of the day. Streaming went well; audio quality was decent. Since venue was so inexpensive, we may want to do another conference in November (post election). The second conference could focus on running for local elections. Should also do a fundraiser at some point.
Aaron James campaign. Working on outreach and getting more volunteers.
No June cryptoparty (Somerville)
On july 3rd, there's a rally in Great Barrington, in opposition to GE dumping PCBs in the Housatonic river. We vote to endorse the rally (5-0, no abstentions)
21:02 < jokeefe> Agenda - https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_27th,_2016_IRC_Meeting 21:02 < papegaai> Title: June 27th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org) 21:02 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville 21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA 21:03 < Lulu> Lucia Fiero 21:04 < jokeefe> Anything anyone wants to add? 21:05 < jokeefe> Welcome all 21:05 < jokeefe> Review - PirateCon 21:05 < Moses> wait 21:05 < jokeefe> ok 21:05 < Moses> or just be like "hey everyone this protest is happening?" 21:05 < Moses> can I add an event? to the list? 21:05 < Moses> I don't know where that would be approriate 21:06 < jokeefe> sure 21:06 < jokeefe> we tend to discuss events we plan to run or be at 21:06 < jokeefe> srevilak, does Moses have a wiki account? 21:06 < Moses> working on it! 21:06 < srevilak> yes, and a blog account 21:07 < jokeefe> We add events to https://masspirates.org/wiki/2016_Event_Calendar 21:07 < papegaai> Title: 2016 Event Calendar - Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org) 21:08 < Moses> wonderful! 21:08 < jokeefe> https://masspirates.org/wiki/Current_Event_Calendar redirects to it 21:08 < papegaai> Title: 2016 Event Calendar - Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org) 21:08 < Moses> thanks you! 21:08 < jokeefe> If it is our event, I bold it 21:08 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra 21:08 < Kendra> Hi All, Kendra Moyer, in Boston at the moment 21:09 < jokeefe> what is the event, Moses 21:09 < jokeefe> ? 21:09 < jokeefe> Kendra - Agenda - https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_27th,_2016_IRC_Meeting 21:09 < papegaai> Title: June 27th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org) 21:11 < jokeefe> Review of PirateCon? 21:11 < Moses> it's a protest. I'll see about puttin git on the wiki 21:11 < jokeefe> Streaming went fairly well for our first time, thanks srevilak 21:12 < jokeefe> And the audio sounded good, thanks srevilak 21:12 < srevilak> thx. Next year, goal is video too 21:12 < Lulu> How was the turn out? 21:12 < jokeefe> looking forward to it 21:13 < srevilak> Lulu: maybe 18 people over the course of the day? Plus a few tuning in remotely 21:13 < Lulu> Thanks. 21:14 < jokeefe> I think having it in Spring would increase turnout 21:15 < srevilak> On the bright side, less signature gathering in odd-numbered years 21:15 < jokeefe> Since the site was inexpensive, having a second one in November that actually makes decisions and debates ideas might work 21:16 < jokeefe> Agreed 21:16 < Moses> second 21:16 < srevilak> agreed (second conference in Nov, post election) 21:16 < jokeefe> A Nov. meeting could also focus on training for running for local office, etc 21:17 < Moses> AYE 21:17 < jokeefe> Perhaps have a fundraiser in the evening and make the conference free or would people be too tired by then? 21:17 < Lulu> You need better promotion. I am good at promotion, but I was sick, sorry. Happy to be in promotion if I continue to improve as I have been. 21:18 < Lulu> Jason is also good at promotion but he was busy taking care of me. 21:18 < jokeefe> We always could use more promotion 21:18 < srevilak> jokeefe: I'd do fundraiser/conference as different events 21:18 < Moses> I had an idea for that actually 21:18 < Moses> making little booklets 21:18 < Moses> essays, articles ect 21:18 < Lulu> Well, I pledge next year if my health is strong enough to really throw myself into the job. 21:18 < srevilak> Moses: kind of like zines? 21:19 < Lulu> Awesome Moses! 21:19 < jokeefe> Having a coordinated promotion plan would work 21:19 < jokeefe> Booklets are great, Moses 21:20 < Moses> I would be up to write like postion papers or genearl essay 21:20 < jokeefe> make available for free download or in paper for a donation or in bulk 21:20 < Lulu> “I'd do fundraiser/conference as different events” Agreed srevilak 21:20 < jokeefe> did you all see this - http://boingboing.net/2016/06/10/spains-podemos-party-publish.html 21:20 < papegaai> Title: Spains Podemos Party publishes its manifesto in Ikea Catalog form / Boing Boing (at boingboing.net) 21:20 < srevilak> Moses: that would be great 21:20 < jokeefe> different events sounds sensible 21:20 < Lulu> HAHAHAAHA! jokeefe 21:21 < jokeefe> We can ask for donations of course 21:21 < jokeefe> you hadn’t seen that one yet, Lulu? 21:21 < Lulu> Dude. Sick. Like you wouldn’t believe. 21:22 < jokeefe> I cannot imagine 21:23 < jokeefe> I like doing it as an IKEA catalog, though like an LL Bean catalog could be funny too 21:23 < Lulu> Very clever. Yes. 21:24 < jokeefe> Any how, Nov. meeting would focus on issues and local offices 21:24 < Moses> yes sounds good 21:24 < jokeefe> Have one thing instead of the many lunch meetings we had last year 21:25 < jokeefe> So please think on when would be good. 21:26 < jokeefe> Other observations on PirateCon? 21:27 < Lulu> Wait, Nov meeting? Did I miss something? 21:27 < jokeefe> That was my suggestion. Or early Dec. 21:27 < jokeefe> After election 21:27 < srevilak> Lulu: look back in chat at ~ 21:15 21:28 < Lulu> Wow. Must be dozing off... 21:28 < Lulu> OK UTD 21:29 < jokeefe> I know I want to be ;-) 21:29 < jokeefe> Aaron James Campaign - campaign continues. Working on outreach ideas and getting more volunteers 21:30 < jokeefe> Noe would speak to it better than I can at the moment 21:30 < jokeefe> Cryptoparties 21:30 < jokeefe> No June Somerville Cryptoparty 21:30 < jokeefe> in case you planned to attend 21:31 < jokeefe> July-September may be busy 21:31 < jokeefe> when it rains … 21:31 < Moses> where is he running? 21:31 < Lulu> 27th Middlesex 21:31 < jokeefe> 27th Middlesex - Somerville 21:32 < Lulu> Part of Somerville 21:32 < jokeefe> 2nd time we ran someone in that district 21:32 < Lulu> 2nd time Noe is working that beat. 21:32 < jokeefe> Only Pirates have ever challenged the incumbent in the general 21:32 < Lulu> #howweroll 21:33 < jokeefe> Moses, would you be able to make a WMass cryptoparty on a weekend? 21:34 < Moses> mmmm depends 21:34 < Moses> I'm something of a farmer 21:34 < Moses> so I have to make the farmers markets 21:35 < jokeefe> understandable 21:35 < jokeefe> Do you go to the NOFA (I think) gatherings? 21:35 < Lulu> Weekends is prime activism time. 21:36 < Moses> I didn't 21:36 < Moses> that's probobly true but there isn't much going on here. 21:37 < jokeefe> no worries. I remember going to them when I was a Green. wondering if they would be good venues for Pirates 21:37 < Moses> I could research more? 21:37 < jokeefe> If you have the time, that would be great 21:38 < jokeefe> Would be good to flesh out your ideas on open agriculture, if I understood it right 21:38 < jokeefe> On other events, the Pirate Picnic isn 8/7 21:39 < Lulu> They would be great venues for Pirates as they are all about GMO transparency aren’t they? 21:39 < Lulu> Moses: https://masspirates.org/blog/2015/08/28/join-the-massachusetts-pirate-party-in-supporting-gmo-labelling-bill-h-3242/ 21:39 < jokeefe> haven’t been in a while, so I wouldn’t know 21:39 < papegaai> Title: Join the Massachusetts Pirate Party in supporting GMO labelling bill H. 3242 | Massachusetts Pirate Party (at masspirates.org) 21:41 < jokeefe> Freedom Rally is 9/17-18. Have they asked us to pay yet? 21:42 < jokeefe> What was the event you wanted to add Moses? 21:42 < Moses> it's a very specific issue to my area 21:43 < Lulu> OK shoot. 21:43 < Lulu> Oh, you mean the GMO thing? 21:43 < Moses> GE dumping PCBs in to the Housatonic River 21:43 < Lulu> OH! 21:43 < Lulu> Excellent. 21:44 < Lulu> You know my husaband and fellow Pirate remediates PCBs knows all the MA laws. 21:44 < jokeefe> Ties in well with the subsidy we are giving to GE to move their HQ here. The didn’t pay to do the clean up? 21:44 < Lulu> Nope. 21:44 < Lulu> Fuckers. 21:44 < Moses> agreed 21:44 < Moses> https://www.facebook.com/events/1141429612581427/ 21:44 < papegaai> Title: Mega March Against the Dumps (at www.facebook.com) 21:45 < Moses> They've been doing alot a letter writting 21:45 < Moses> which i have mixed feelings about 21:45 < Lulu> Ugh. This Sunday. Not I. Still weak. 21:46 < jokeefe> Do I have a 2nd for endorsing? 21:46 < Lulu> 2nd 21:46 < srevilak> second 21:47 < Lulu> JEEBUS! 21:47 < Lulu> They want to dump MORE? 21:47 < Lulu> I had no idea! 21:47 < Moses> thanks guys 21:47 < srevilak> I might be able to make a trip out on Sun. Will figure out for sure tomorrow 21:48 < Moses> let me know 21:48 < jokeefe> is there a link with more info on what they are proposing? 21:48 < srevilak> hi Mobile_Cheese 21:49 < Lulu> “is there a link with more info on what they are proposing?” for me, too. 21:49 < jokeefe> If you go, srevilak, I can get you the banner. I don’t think I will be able to do 21:49 < jokeefe> go 21:49 < Moses> http://theberkshireedge.com/ge-intent-on-dumping-on-the-berkshires-with-housatonic-river-cleanup/ 21:49 < srevilak> jokeefe: ok 21:49 < papegaai> Title: GE plans to dump on the Berkshires with Housatonic River cleanup - The Berkshire Edge (at theberkshireedge.com) 21:50 < Lulu> What is the point of cleaning it up if they are going to redump it? 21:51 < Moses> Idek 21:51 < jokeefe> It will be contained really well this time. Just trust them</sarcasm> 21:52 < jokeefe> $250 million to move it out. Our subsidy to them is getting near that amount 21:52 < jokeefe> Any discussion? 21:52 < Moses> there are a few layers of this that are emesenly frustrting 21:52 < Lulu> Jason is out, or I would be asking him about this right now. I will consult with him afterwards. He prolly knows somwone involved in the current process. 21:52 < Lulu> Complicated stuff can be sent to the email list for further reading 21:53 < Moses> like Fish and Game stock the Housie because it's got great for fly fishing 21:53 < Moses> but we can't eat any of the fish 21:54 < jokeefe> “Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) estimates that about 75 per cent of the PCBs will remain in the river soil and sediments, with only about 25 percent actually dredged and removed” 21:55 < Moses> yayyyy. 21:56 < jokeefe> seeing no discussion. all in favor of endorsing this rally? 21:56 < srevilak> aye 21:56 < Lulu> See, they haven’t cleaned it up, and they have their hands in our pockets for operations in Boston. 21:56 < Kendra> aye 21:56 < Lulu> aye 21:57 < jokeefe> aye 21:57 < Moses> aye 21:57 < srevilak> I'm sure there will be more ge demonstrations in Boston. This will be a good item to bring up 21:57 < jokeefe> any opposed? 21:58 < jokeefe> agreed, srevilak 21:59 < Kendra> When the Last Tree Is Cut Down, the Last Fish Eaten, and the Last Stream Poisoned, You Will Realize That You Cannot Eat Money 21:59 < Kendra> It has been said 21:59 < jokeefe> motion passes 22:00 < srevilak> anything else (we're about at time) 22:00 < jokeefe> Moses, do you want to write a draft statement of endorsement to put up? 22:00 < jokeefe> We can put it on the blog and email it out 22:00 < jokeefe> yes, we are srevilak 22:00 < Moses> yes, positively. 22:00 < Kendra> motion to adjourn, once Moses replies 22:00 < jokeefe> We keep IRC meetings to an hour, Moses 22:00 < jokeefe> thanks Moses 22:00 < jokeefe> 2nd 22:00 < Moses> wonderful 22:00 < jokeefe> all in favor? 22:01 < Moses> who do I send that to 22:01 < Lulu> aye 22:01 < Moses> aye 22:01 < Kendra> aye 22:01 < Lulu> um... 22:01 < srevilak> Moses: you can send statement to jamie and myself (or the activists list) 22:01 < Lulu> info@...? 22:01 < Moses> thank you! 22:01 < srevilak> info@ works too 22:01 < Lulu> me too! REDACTED 22:02 < jokeefe> thanks for mentioning that, srevilak 22:02 < Kendra> nite all, nice seeing everyone this weekend, keep up the good work and see you at HOPE. 22:02 < jokeefe> motion passes 22:02 < srevilak> jokeefe: will post minutes 22:02 < Kendra left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed) 22:02 < jokeefe> thank you 22:02 < Lulu> Night peeps. 22:02 < Lulu left the chat room. 22:02 < jokeefe> have a wonderfull night all. See you next week, but not next Monday