June 27th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  • South Boston BPL cryptoparty

Decisions/Endorsements

Discussion of future events:

"In selecting actions I sought out ones with funding or established groups in order to minimize our workload. Incidentally these also will get us interacting with and assisting community groups.

I'm getting a positive, enthusiastic response from the DIY agriculture groups in Worcester, especially regarding talks or classroom presentations. I would like to get a feel for the groups' enthusiasm and expertise, if each of us had to lead a presentation, what would you focus on? Even if it isn't directly agricultural, open source software can be off-putting to new users.

Going off of agriculture, I learned that the New England Grassroots Activism Fund is funding the creation of permaculture installations. These are collections of mostly native plants engineered to be drought resistant and pollinator friendly. We could potentially spearhead an installation at a local library or school, or a retirement home or public housing block. Do we want to get our hands dirty?

Lastly, there's a few models of "repair salon" actions where experts bring tools and locals bring damaged or malfunctioning equipment (computers or light hardware) to get repaired instead of thrown out. I know someone running a program in Northampton who might appreciate our logistical support, in exchange for a chance to talk to folk outside Boston. "

Projects

Day against DRM

July 8th, 11am-1pm. Todo:

Our Elections

To Do:

  • Send email reminder about nominations this week and next
  • Setup ballot (srevilak). For this election, we are implementing Voting Tokens
  • Send out ballot this week (jokeefe)
  • Send out reminder ballots before polls close (jokeefe)
  • Close polls (srevilak)
  • Count results (srevilak/jokeefe)
  • Publish results - 6/14 (jokeefe) - Emailed/posted on 6/20
  • Setup meeting with new office holders (jokeefe)
  • Review regular IRC meeting day - send new poll with earlier times (jokeefe)

Other To Dos

  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • email/post about support of Internet-wid Day of Action to Save Net Neutrality
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)

Upcoming Events

See: 2017 calendar

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • hvxgr: Tom Rodman, Milwaukee
  • admech: Matt Fealy, Boston
  • Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
  • Joe: ID Joseph Onoroski

Observers

  • davidd
  • igel
  • papegaa
  • razz
  • Techrev

Summary

Malt has found a group in Worcester asking us to potentially lead some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group.

He will write up a blog post/email anc.

Joe went over different collaboration tool options. Will take the discussion to activists list.

Day Against DRM - working on calls/txts to supporters

Minutes

 

[9:04pm] jokeefe: agenda - https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_27th,_2017_IRC_Meeting
[9:04pm] papegaai: Title: June 27th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org)
[9:04pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:04pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:05pm] hvxgr: Tom Rodman, Milwaukee
[9:05pm] admech: Matt Fealy, Boston
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:06pm] hvxgr: no
[9:06pm] Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
[9:07pm] admech: Brief Boston chapter update?
[9:07pm] Joe joined the chat room.
[9:07pm] Joe: Ahoy!
[9:07pm] admech: ahoy
[9:07pm] jokeefe: ahoy
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Review - South Boston BPL cryptoparty went well. 8 people, just like the earlier one at Fields Corner BPL. They want us to come back.
[9:07pm] Joe: ID Joseph Onoroski
[9:08pm] Joe: Very Nice!
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements - Malt wanted to discuss event ideas
[9:08pm] jokeefe: See: https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_27th,_2017_IRC_Meeting#Decisions.2FEndorsements
[9:08pm] papegaai: Title: June 27th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org)
[9:09pm] jokeefe: Malt?
[9:10pm] Malt: So, yes
[9:10pm] Malt: There was discussion about throwing our support behind some community agricultural events, and I've reached out to some local farmers
[9:11pm] Malt: There's a group in Worcester asking us to potentially lead some talks, I think we could make some inroads with basic FOSS tutorials
[9:12pm] Malt: Over a month we could show folks how to do basic labels in GIMP, work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group
[9:13pm] Malt: Is this something folks are interested in pursuing?
[9:13pm] Joe: I second the thought
[9:13pm] jokeefe: I agree.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: We should look for more people to teach
[9:14pm] Joe: Even if it's only one event a month, bring tech to better the lives of the community would have a huge impact on how people view us as a group.
[9:16pm] Malt: Related to that, there's a new model of "repair cafe" type setups where tool-having experts congregate in an area to assist folks with damaged tools or computer parts
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Malt, would you write up a post asking people to help and what we need?
[9:16pm] Malt: Certainly!
[9:16pm] jokeefe: We can get it out on the blog and by email
[9:16pm] Malt: I can work out a specific pitch before the weekend
[9:16pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:17pm] hvxgr: I'm trying to teach a beginner, FLOSS/computer basics, this might be relevant: http://zq3q.org/pcolab/#vefzo_simplicity_of_plain_text
[9:17pm] papegaai: Title: pcolab (at zq3q.org)
[9:17pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:17pm] hvxgr: sure
[9:18pm] Malt: I'm tempted to say let's do all of everything at once, but I can focus on setting this up first before I send us galavanting around the whole rest of the state
[9:19pm] jokeefe: agreed
[9:19pm] jokeefe: step by step and iterate
[9:21pm] jokeefe: so put out a call and see who turns up
[9:21pm] Malt: we do this right, THEN we setup the underground seed library
[9:22pm] jokeefe: sounds like a plan
[9:22pm] jokeefe: In Somerville, Parts & Crafts setup a tool coop
[9:23pm] Joe: May I interject a thought?
[9:23pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:24pm] Joe: After we have established a relationship with the DIY farming movements, we could perhaps invade a makers space with them as well
[9:25pm] Joe: They have workshops and I am sure that they would love for us to host a meeting/workshop.
[9:25pm] jokeefe: sounds like a plan
[9:26pm] Joe: https://www.cambridgehackspace.com/
[9:26pm] papegaai: Title: Cambridge Hackspace (at www.cambridgehackspace.com)
[9:27pm] Malt: niiiiiiiice
[9:27pm] Malt: I really feel like the Pirates are poised to be the party of DIY
[9:28pm] Joe: Make a plan/Get it done
[9:29pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:29pm] Joe: I have a bunch of information I would like to share with the party.
[9:29pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:30pm] Joe: So per our discussion Jamie, I did a compare and contrast between the different platforms we could use to communicate.
[9:31pm] Joe: I did not have time to do the table unfortunately however I did all the background information
[9:31pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:31pm] Joe: First up is the best know one, Loomio
[9:31pm] Joe: https://www.loomio.org/pricing
[9:31pm] papegaai: Title: Loomio - Better decisions together (at www.loomio.org)
[9:32pm] Joe: As you can see, at first it's free but in the long run and as we need to use it for more things, it will have a cost with it.
[9:33pm] Joe: It does work well with Slack with smooth integration
[9:34pm] Joe: The challenge is that if we want to get nice reporting, it will cost us $19 per month.
[9:34pm] Joe: I do not know how many reports we will need but that seems steep for our usage.
[9:34pm] Joe: Next we have slack directly.
[9:34pm] Joe: https://slack.com/pricing
[9:35pm] papegaai: Title: Pricing | Slack (at slack.com)
[9:36pm] jokeefe: BTW: there is an open source version of loomio we can host locally
[9:36pm] Joe: slack is a good solution for the communication but lacks the polling tools and has a $6.67 cost per user.
[9:37pm] Joe: Yes, sorry for not bringing up that point
[9:37pm] Joe: Thank you for the correction.
[9:37pm] jokeefe: no worries
[9:38pm] Joe: I looked up an addition platform that I failed to mention, gitbook.
[9:38pm] Joe: Gitbook fails in everyway but in case you are curious, https://www.gitbook.com/pricing
[9:38pm] papegaai: Title: Plans & Pricing · GitBook (at www.gitbook.com)
[9:39pm] Joe: The nice thing about it is if we need to do mediation then we could get 5 people on it for free.
[9:39pm] jokeefe: UKPP and Dutch Pirates use loomio, BTW
[9:39pm] jokeefe: true
[9:39pm] Joe: Last but not least and my personal choice still, Discord.
[9:40pm] Joe: Sorry, one moment
[9:41pm] Joe: https://discord.gg/FND2QwU
[9:41pm] papegaai: Title: Discord (at discord.gg)
[9:42pm] Joe: Discord is completely free and hosts up to 100 people per server. Easy to link sites and ideas. It also have effective streaming built in so we can put overlays in.  It would make recording our meeting much easier.
[9:42pm] Malt: That sounds ideal tbh
[9:42pm] hvxgr: license?
[9:42pm] Joe: The only challenge is that there is no direct polling so we would have to outsource it.
[9:43pm] Joe: https://polldaddy.com/pricing/ is how I would recommend to fill that gap
[9:43pm] papegaai: Title: Pricing for Online Poll and Survey Software, Free & Paid Accounts | Polldaddy.com (at polldaddy.com)
[9:44pm] Malt: I've fixed up google polls before as well
[9:44pm] Joe: we could intergrate it as well right into our WordPress blogs as well.
[9:45pm] Joe: Plus since we can do discord right through a browser, you don't have to download it to use it.
[9:45pm] Joe: The are also used to dealing with trolls, something the other sites seemed to lack.
[9:45pm] Joe: Loomio's link for dealing with trolls did not work. lol
[9:46pm] admech: Should we move deeper discussion/decision on this to the activists list for the moment?
[9:46pm] jokeefe: I think so
[9:46pm] hvxgr: "We’ll never charge for Discord’s core functionality."  https://discordapp.com/features
[9:46pm] papegaai: Title: Discord - Features (at discordapp.com)
[9:46pm] Joe: That is all I have on the topic and I thank you for your time.
[9:47pm] jokeefe: we try to avoid hosting with google, and simple polls aren’t what we want, but discussions
[9:47pm] jokeefe: would you write this up, Joe, and send to the list?
[9:47pm] Malt: gotcha
[9:47pm] Joe: I would like to put it to a vote if possible as well.
[9:48pm] Joe: Sure.
[9:48pm] Malt: brb
[9:49pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Day against DRM - is moving along
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Anyone able to do calls?
[9:53pm] Joe: My plate is very full at the moment, I am sorry.
[9:54pm] admech: I'm going to start texting people in Boston in the next day or so. I can add more.
[9:54pm] jokeefe: no worries
[9:54pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:55pm] admech: and/or expand to the T catchment area, which is what I think of as my scope anyway.
[9:56pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:56pm] admech: (I hate voice conversations and the other campaign I'm currently working on uses text a lot with good effect)
[9:56pm] jokeefe: good
[9:57pm] jokeefe: Our Elections - Only one thing left - Review regular IRC meeting day - send new poll with earlier times
[9:58pm] jokeefe: we are at time
[9:58pm] jokeefe: shall we adjourn?
[9:59pm] Joe: I second
[9:59pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:59pm] Joe: Aye
[9:59pm] hvxgr: aye
[9:59pm] admech: Aye
[9:59pm] hvxgr: loose end tho - is the Discord  license visible source, closed source, or what ?  Do you have a policy on licenses?
[10:00pm] jokeefe: we prefer free software
[10:00pm] Joe: I do not but I will look in to it before I send out the email.
[10:00pm] hvxgr: thx
[10:00pm] jokeefe: thanks
[10:00pm] jokeefe: have a pleasant night