June 5th, 2019 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Leadership/activist/volunteer picnic

Projects

Goals for Q2:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize election
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings

Leader:

Video Newsletter

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording?

Setup Local Chapters

Update Platform

Election Campaigns

Leader: James O'Keefe

Mesh Net

Leader: igel[m]

Cryptoparties

Leader:

Tech/Outreach

  • need to schedule a June meeting
  • find discussion/voting system
  • update blog theme
  • update civicrm software
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Tasks

Statement on Alabama/Ohio/Georgia Abortion ban bills/laws

Fight bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

HD388 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. There isn't a hearing date for it yet.

Action items:

  • Tell our supporters how to oppose it
  • Look out for a hearing date
  • If possible, reach out to other groups to organize a lobby day

National Platform reform/remake

Tabled Projects

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Non-pirate guest speakers for Pirate News

CCTV camera map

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Video Newsletter guest speakers

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 6/11, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 6/18, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 6/22, 11am-4pm, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Board Room, Holyoke Public Library, Holyoke
  • 6/25, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 6/25, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts

Participants

  • srevilak (Steve Revilak)
  • Malt (Sam Capradae, Worcester)
  • igel[m] (William Fleurant, Arlington)
  • Pirate_Joe

Observers

  • bonelesspepsi
  • davidd
  • hvxgr
  • hvxgr_
  • MikaelaSuomalainen

Summary

No news on Statement on Alabama/Ohio/Georgia Abortion. Defer until next meeting.

No new news on Film Tax credit.

National Platform reform/remake. Looking to improve online presence. There's an attorney who'd like to work with the national party politically. Will be making a presentation at the next national meeting.

Discussion of Resist Marxism and their `straight pride' parade taking place on Aug. 31st in Boston. 3-0 vote in support of counter demonstration efforts.

Discussion of next recording of pirate news. Will postpone until next week.

Holyoke Meetup. Outreach could include local colleges, DSA, group email to existing contacts in the area. Steve to draft message, and send to activist list for review.

Minutes

 
21:01 < Malt> Sam Capradae, Worcester ma
21:01 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington MA
21:01 < igel[m]> william fleurant, arlington ma
21:02 < srevilak> hi igel[m]
21:02 < srevilak> I put together an agenda
21:02 < srevilak> https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_5th,_2019_IRC_Meeting
21:02 -!- Pirate_Joe [~Pirate_Jo@gateway/webchat] has joined #masspirates
21:02 < srevilak> hi Pirate_Joe
21:02 < srevilak> agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_5th,_2019_IRC_Meeting
21:02 < Pirate_Joe> Ahoy!
21:03 < Malt> Howdy all
21:03 < Pirate_Joe> Sorry I am late. Jamie will be unable to attend.
21:04 < Malt> That's rough, hope everything is okay
21:04 < srevilak> yes, indeed
21:04 < srevilak> anything to add to the agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_5th,_2019_IRC_Meeting
21:05 < Malt> Nyet
21:05 < Pirate_Joe> I am in transition atm
21:05 < Pirate_Joe> But yes
21:06 < igel[m]> whos doing cryptoparty 25th?
21:06 < srevilak> igel[m]: I'm not sure.  I presume @ sprouts, but that
        could be wrong
21:07 -!- Pirate_Joe [~Pirate_Jo@gateway/webchat] has quit [Client Quit]
21:07 < srevilak> Let's see, looking at Tasks
21:07 < srevilak> Any news on Statement on Alabama/Ohio/Georgia Abortion
        ban bills/laws
21:07 < Malt> I think Jamie was writing those
21:08 < srevilak> Okay.  In that case, we can defer until next time
21:08 -!- Pirate_Joe [~Pirate_Jo@gateway/webchat] has joined #masspirates
21:08 < igel[m]> ^
21:08 < Pirate_Joe> My apologies
21:08 < srevilak> Pirate_Joe: are you out of transition now :)
21:08 < Pirate_Joe> Aye
21:09 < Pirate_Joe> My only current transition is through time itself
21:09 < srevilak> Recap: I asked about "Statement on Alabama/Ohio/Georgia
        Abortion ban bills/laws".  igel believed Jamie was working on that,
        and I suggested deferring until next meeting
21:10 < srevilak> Okay by you?
21:10 < Pirate_Joe> Aye
21:10 < Pirate_Joe> I would like to add to the agenda National Platform
        reform/remake
21:10 < Malt> How's that going?
21:10 < srevilak> added
21:10 < srevilak> Any news on Film Credit and HD 388?
21:11 < Pirate_Joe> None that I am aware of
21:11 < srevilak> going once
21:11 < Pirate_Joe> It's going as good as to be expected. I have my work
        cut out for me.
21:11 < srevilak> :)
21:11 < srevilak> Next, National Platform reform/remake
21:11 < srevilak> Pirate_Joe: you have the floor
21:12 < Malt> No news on film credits afaik
21:12 < Pirate_Joe> Megan and I spoke with Johann Drolshagen whom will
        be coming to this next national meeting.
21:13 < srevilak> Who's Johann Drolshagen (sorry if I should know this)
21:13 < Pirate_Joe> We is looking to supercharge our current online
        presence as well as has a strong background in legal.
21:14 < igel[m]> like EFF legalities?
21:14 < Pirate_Joe> He is an L.A. lawyer whom is looking to join us
        politically and wants to do a presentation at the next national meeting. I
        would like as many of us to attend so that we can come to a wise decision.
21:14 < Malt> Next mon?
21:15 < Malt> 9?
21:15 < Pirate_Joe> Well, he's licensed in Washington, D.C.
21:15 < Pirate_Joe> Aye
21:15 < Pirate_Joe> We are also working on getting him in touch with
        our CA chapter as well.
21:15  * srevilak will be knee-deep in local election GOTV next mon &
        tues, but looking forward to the follow up
21:16 < Pirate_Joe> *is sad
21:16 < Malt> I might be around
21:17 < Pirate_Joe> We are also looking to form the pac, so that part
        of what the National PAC makes could be distributed to the state parties.
21:17 < igel[m]> i'll try to ping someone from sprouts or friends of
        srevilak (IRC)
21:17 < Pirate_Joe> lol, that would be helpful
21:18 < igel[m]> i mentioned it to somene who i think wanted to harden
        their workflow routines etc..
21:18 < Pirate_Joe> and appreciated
21:18 < igel[m]> ive got to step out / lay down for a bit,  grr
21:18 < igel[m]> got to run, yaar.
21:18 < srevilak> igel[m]: night
21:19 < Pirate_Joe> thank you and gn
21:19 < Malt> Night bud
21:20 < Malt> Aight, so it looks like resist Marxism is behind the
        straight pride parade
21:20 < srevilak> straight pride parade?
21:20 < Malt> Should we talk about how it's a cover for right wing
        extremists?
21:21 < Malt> Boston might have a straight pride parade
21:21 < Pirate_Joe>
        https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniemcneal/straight-pride-parade-claim-controversy-boston
21:21 < Malt> They granted a permit under threat of lawsuit
21:23 < Pirate_Joe> I'm not sure I want to touch this one.
21:23 < Pirate_Joe> Strictly speaking, it's their right to march. I
        support both gay and straight men alike.
21:23 < srevilak> I recognize the name of the president.
21:24 < srevilak> I agree with malt - cover for white nationalists.
21:24 < Malt> This has exactly zero to do with straight pride
21:25 < Malt> It is 100% a cover for Patriot front to fight people
21:25 < Pirate_Joe> I'm sure they are doing it to stir up trouble but
        I don't want to make them in to a martyr
21:26 < Malt> How would we be making them.martyrs by exposing their ties
        to white supremacists
21:26 < srevilak> Pirate_Joe: yes, I suspect stirring up trouble.
        That seems to be their usual mode of operation
21:26 < srevilak> Does their march follow the actual parade?
21:26 < Pirate_Joe> If I am out voted on this I will accept the councils
        decision. I just don't think this one is the one to hang our hats on.
21:27 < Malt> We can't let the right have free speech as an ideology
21:27 < Pirate_Joe> I will channel Jamie on this one......Lets focus on
        more Pirate-ish issues.
21:28 < srevilak> I think this is a pirate-ish issue though.  We've always
        been very supportive of the LGBTQ community, and have marched in pride
        several times
21:28 < Pirate_Joe> And I support that srevi
21:28 < Pirate_Joe> * srevilak
21:29 < srevilak> I see the straight pride march as more of a counter
        demonstration.
21:29 < srevilak> Perhaps meant to be provocative
21:29 < Malt> It's a rally
21:29 < Malt> They are looking for a fight
21:29 < Pirate_Joe> The reason for my decent is due to my underlying
        wish to support individual autonomy. Gay or straight.
21:30 < Malt>
        https://mobile.twitter.com/AntiFashGordon/status/1136283660737482752
21:30 < srevilak> Pirate_Joe: I respect your right to dissent, but
        I disagree
21:30 < srevilak> Malt: yup, that's them
21:31 < Pirate_Joe> Thank you for understanding. I figured I would be
        out voted on this srevilak but I want to show true to our core principles
        is all.  I don't mind if we do something to handle the situation.
21:31 < Malt> Anyway I don't think we have enough folk to schedule a
        time to record
21:32 < Pirate_Joe> Actually
21:32 < Pirate_Joe> For the next recording I would like to do it with
        you Malt
21:32 < Pirate_Joe> If possible, I would like to do a history of the
        Malt and what you do for us all.
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> How you became a Pirate, etc.
21:33 < Malt> Eh I'd rather stick to pressing issues
21:34 < Pirate_Joe> If you do not want to go in to it, that's fine.
        We have done a few key people and wanted to do one on you.
21:35 < Pirate_Joe> I'm pretty slammed this week. When did you want to
        do one?
21:37 < srevilak> Per
        https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2019/06/04/its-lgbt-pride-month-three-guys-boston-want-permit-straight-pride-parade/
        looks like straight pride is planned for Aug 31st
21:39 < Malt> This weekend is busy for me
21:40 < Malt> Early Saturday or Sunday
21:41 < Pirate_Joe> Yeah, def seems like an @$$ move
21:41 < Pirate_Joe> I would be ok with postponing the video to next week
21:41 < Pirate_Joe> Morning I can't do.
21:42 < Malt> Ok
21:43 < Pirate_Joe> Vote on counter protest?
21:43 < Pirate_Joe> I'll 2nd
21:43 < Malt> There's several planned
21:43 < Pirate_Joe> But we can swarmwise them togather. ^.^
21:43 < srevilak> I support participation in a counter protest
21:44 < srevilak> shall we vote on counter-protest?
21:44 < Malt> I second
21:44 < srevilak> all in favor say, aye
21:45 < srevilak> aye
21:45 < Pirate_Joe> aye, with reservations
21:46 < Malt> Aye.
21:46 < Malt> Let's bash the fash
21:47 < srevilak> Thinking of time and the agenda
21:47 < srevilak> We have Holyoke coming up on the 22nd
21:47 < Malt> Neat
21:47 < srevilak> I see jamie's made a blog post here:
        https://masspirates.org/blog/2019/05/30/holyoke-meetup-four-weeks-away/
21:48 < srevilak> who's planning to go?
21:48 < Pirate_Joe> I am hopeful
21:48 < srevilak> I'll be there
21:50 < srevilak> any groups/people we can/should do outreach to, in
        effort to get turnout?
21:51 < Malt> Plenty of local colleges
21:51 < Malt> Dsa in the area
21:52 < srevilak> that's good
21:52 < srevilak> Perhaps worth going through civi contacts in area.
        Maybe mail as a group, or individually
21:52 < srevilak> ?
21:53 < Pirate_Joe> Please do as a group
21:53 < Pirate_Joe> Or send out to everyone?
21:53 < srevilak> we could
21:54 < srevilak> I can volunteer to draft a messages this weekend,
        and run it by activist list for review
21:54 < Pirate_Joe> Sounds good to me.
21:55 < Malt> Same
21:56 < Pirate_Joe> We are past time
21:56 < Pirate_Joe> Motion to Adjourn?
21:56 < srevilak> second
21:57 < Pirate_Joe> All in favor?
21:57 < srevilak> all in favor?
21:57 < srevilak> aye
21:57 < Pirate_Joe> my b
21:57 < Pirate_Joe> Aye
21:57 < srevilak> Pirate_Joe: just an echo, don't worry about it :)
21:57 < srevilak> I'll post the transcript