June 6th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Review

  • Left Forum
  • Judiciary Committee hearings

Decisions/Endorsements

MassCANN rally

MassCann/NORML Rally tomorrow - https://www.battleforthenet.com/july12/

Internet-Wide Day of Action to Save Net Neutrality

June 12th - https://www.fightforthefuture.org/news/2017-06-06-major-web-companies-and-public-interest-groups/

Projects

Our Elections

Email sent. Nominations by today. Election ballot by the 30th. Seven days after it is sent out. To Do:

  • Send email reminder about nominations this week and next
  • Setup ballot (srevilak). For this election, we are implementing Voting Tokens
  • Send out ballot this week (jokeefe)
  • Send out reminder ballots before polls close (jokeefe)
  • Close polls
  • Count results
  • Publish results
  • Setup meeting with new office holders

Boston Pride Parade

PirateCon

  • Videos:
    • processed and uploaded
    • putting on finishing touches
    • announce and update piratecon page
    • setting up torrents
  • Audio for one panel posted. More audio to edit.

Planks & Other Discussions

  • Discussion
    • Reviewed Loomio instance. Looks good. Looking at how to invite people.
    • myBB installed, but not setup completely (jokeefe)
    • Installing mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)
    • Installed Matrix client (Riot), but we would need our own server to not be dependent on matrix.org servers.
  • Previous work on planks: https://github.com/masspirates/planks

Local Chapters

Somerville meeting soon.

Day against DRM

Day Against DRM is Sunday, July 9th. Emailed FSF about our idea to hand out fliers.

Upcoming Events

See: 2017 calendar

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe)
  • hvxgr (Tom Rodman - Milwaukee)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Riastradh

Observers

  • davidd
  • papegaai
  • Techrev
  • igel

Summary

Steve gives short summary of Left Forum.

Jamie spoke at Judiciary committee hearings, addressing drones and stingrays.

MassCANN rally tomorrow. Jamie planning to attend.

There's support for Fight For the Future's campaign to save net neutrality.

Elections end at noon on June 10th. Jamie will send out reminders, for folks that haven't voted.

Pride parade. Flyers printed. Hoping for a nice turnout on Saturday. Lineup should be posted tomorrow.

Piratecon. Jamie finishing up video editing. Steve hopes to get more audio editing done this weekend.

We conclude with a short followup to last week's discussion on agile activism.

Minutes

 
21:03 < jokeefe> Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_6th,_2017_IRC_Meeting
21:03 < jokeefe> ids
21:03 < papegaai> Title: June 6th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:03 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe
21:03 < hvxgr> Tom Rodman - Milwaukee
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:05 < jokeefe> any additions?
21:06 < srevilak> I can do a short review of Left Forum, if that would
        be of interest
21:06 < hvxgr> No.
21:06 < jokeefe> Review, go for it srevilak
21:06 < hvxgr> yes, that would be good.
21:06 < srevilak> Two interesting pieces. First was MF/PL's main
        technology convergence panel
21:07 < srevilak> Brainstormed a bunch of qualities of the world we'd
        like to live in
21:07 < hvxgr> MF/PL == ?
21:07 < srevilak> then tried to figure out how we could use tech to help
        get there
21:08 < srevilak> hvxgr: May first/People Link  https://mayfirst.org/
21:08 < papegaai> Title: May First/People Link (at mayfirst.org)
21:08 < hvxgr> thx
21:08 < srevilak> It was a nice exercise
21:08 < srevilak> Second piece comes from the time I spent hanging around
        with some greens
21:08 < jokeefe> any conclusions?
21:09 < srevilak> conclusions are in my notebook.  I'll transcribe at
        some point
21:09 < srevilak> Greens (at least some greens) are planning to focus
        on local elections
21:10 < jokeefe> good for them
21:10 < srevilak> One thing the focus on presidental elections has given
        them: now, many more people know who the green party is
21:11 < srevilak> I also found Jill Stein walking around, and introduced
        myself.
21:11 < srevilak> jokeefe: she says she know you :)
21:11 < jokeefe> true, but we saw that in 2000 too
21:11 < jokeefe> who was it?
21:11 < jokeefe> oh jill
21:11 < srevilak> One was Howie Hawkins, who ran for NY governor (I think)
        last election
21:11 < jokeefe> yes, well ran twice with her
21:12 < srevilak> Planning to run for Syracuse mayor
21:12 < jokeefe> good
21:12 < hvxgr> Greens in WI are planning a candidate school in the fall.
        We're stronger, and bigger, bit only 20% or so. DSA is what is really
        taking off.
21:13 < jokeefe> good for you
21:13 < srevilak> Finally, during one panel, a panelist (journalist)
        spent 10--15 talking about this fellow
21:13 < srevilak>
        http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/meet-the-based-stickman-173908
21:13 < papegaai> Title: Repeat Felon Is Hero Alt-Right Deserves |
        The Smoking Gun (at www.thesmokinggun.com)
21:13 < srevilak> interesting character
21:13 < srevilak> (end of Left Forum summary)
21:13 < jokeefe> thanks
21:15 < jokeefe> the hearing yesterday was in gardiner auditorium
21:16 < jokeefe> I spoke about drones and stingrays
21:16 < jokeefe> will post what I wrote
21:17 < srevilak> These were judiciary committee hearings, yes?
21:17 < hvxgr> (I looked at the related pad, in mailing list. )
21:17 < jokeefe> Alex, Kade and Taylor were good
21:17 < jokeefe> yes
21:17 < jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements
21:19 < jokeefe> MassCANN rally tomorrow to push for legislature not
        messing with the cannabis legalization referendum
21:19 < jokeefe> planning to be at it and will email if there aren’t
        any objections
21:19 < srevilak> no objections here
21:20 < hvxgr> none (I need to read about membership)
21:20 < srevilak> hvxgr: membership?
21:21 < srevilak> hi Riastradh
21:21 < hvxgr> Say if I joined the WIpp, joining means officially becoming
        a member, w/voting rights; as opposed to sympathsizer.
21:21 < jokeefe> would need to talk with WIPP
21:21 < hvxgr> right
21:21 < srevilak> We have
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/Articles_of_Agreement#Article_2.0_.E2.80.93_Membership,
        but that's MA, not WI
21:21 < papegaai> Title: Articles of Agreement - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:22 < jokeefe> ahoy Riastradh
21:22 < jokeefe> Internet-Wide Day of Action to Save Net Neutrality - June
12th - can get a post up supporting it if there aren’t any objections
21:22 < hvxgr> ok
21:22 < srevilak> I support FFTF's net neutrality campaign
21:23 < Riastradh> Hi!
21:23 < srevilak> Riastradh:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_6th,_2017_IRC_Meeting
21:23 < papegaai> Title: June 6th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:24 < jokeefe> ok, will get it out
21:24 < Riastradh> Hope you don't mind my lurking here!  Dropped by
        yesterday to look for pirates who might have been testifying at the
        judiciary committee.
21:24 < jokeefe> thanks for dropping by
21:24 < jokeefe> our meetings are public
21:24 < jokeefe> Projects
21:24 < jokeefe> Our Elections
21:25 < jokeefe> election ends on the 10th at noon
21:25 < jokeefe> Will send out reminder ballots before polls close
21:27 < hvxgr> Just curious, what day did all the ballots go out; how
        many days of voting?
21:27 < jokeefe> one week, plus a bit
21:28 < hvxgr> nice
21:28 < jokeefe> sent them out on Saturday
21:28 < jokeefe> Boston Pride Parade
21:28 < jokeefe> will pick up flyers
21:28 < jokeefe> they are printed
21:28 < srevilak> Will drop off check tomorrow
21:28 < jokeefe> thaks. will send out another announcement and remind
        supporters
21:30 < srevilak> Should finish mast rigging tomorrow night
21:30 < srevilak> BTW - I have long banner poles and short banner.
        Will bring them on Sat
21:30 < jokeefe> great
21:30 < jokeefe> Ill have the long banner
21:31 < srevilak> Sounds good
21:31 < srevilak> looking forward to not having to wheel the wagon back
        across back bay :)
21:31 < jokeefe> PirateCon - still finishing up the videos. hope to have
        them up soon
21:32 < srevilak> I've been away the last couple of weekends.  Hope to
        get back to editing audio this weekend
21:33 < jokeefe> thank you
21:34 < jokeefe> I don’t have any updates on the other items
21:35 < srevilak> jokeefe: I when I check on for pride, should I collect
        your badge as well?
21:36 < jokeefe> please do
21:36 < jokeefe> thanks
21:36 < srevilak> ok
21:36 < srevilak> Lineup should be posted tomorrow
21:37 < jokeefe> will check in the morning and send the update
21:37 < srevilak> (according to orientation packet)
21:39 < jokeefe> anything else?
21:39 < srevilak> nothing here
21:39 < hvxgr> I looked at 'trac' for issue tracking.
21:40 < srevilak> what did you think?
21:40 < hvxgr> Just spent 25 min or so.  It interests me.  They use a
        wiki as part of the solution.
21:42 < hvxgr> It's thrown me off a bit though, in that now for some
        reason (ie my interest in perl), now I want to look at foswiki.  But I
        will keep reviewing other issue management tools.
21:42 < srevilak> ah, you're JAPH :)
21:42 < hvxgr> I thing 'trac' probably would be fine.
21:43 < hvxgr> (think)
21:44 < srevilak> shall we motion to adjourn?
21:44 < hvxgr> right "just another perl hacker".  Honestly though I
        spend more time bash scripting.
21:45 < hvxgr> ok
21:45 < srevilak> yes, just another perl hacker
21:45 < srevilak> ok, I motion to adjourn
21:45 < srevilak> second?
21:46 < hvxgr> second
21:46 < jokeefe> 2nd
21:46 < jokeefe> all in favor
21:46 < jokeefe> ?
21:46 < srevilak> aye
21:46 < hvxgr> aye/good night
21:46  * srevilak will post transcript
21:46 < jokeefe> aye
21:46 < jokeefe> thanks