March 10th, 2021 IRC Meeting
What to write next?
- Community Organizing Discussion, Sat., 3/13/2021, 1-3pm
- Setup local video meetups by region with people who said they were interested in organizing a local chapter
- Organize candidate trainings
- Pirate news recording scheduled for Sundays, 7pm with go-live at 7:30pm. Unless changed
Boston Pride Festival
While in-person events, including outdoor events, are on hold until COVID-19 numbers go down, we should plan for our table at the Boston Pride Festival.
- setup signup sheet
- Need to purchase insurance
- Need volunteer sign up form
- Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?
Other To Do
- Application to PPI
Upcoming On-line Events
- Sat., 3/13/2021, 1-3pm, Community Organizing Discussion, on-line
- Every Tuesday, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, on-line
- Sat., 3/20/2021, 1-3pm, Tech Meetup, on-line
- malt2: sam capradae, worcester
- jokeefe: James O'Keefe, Somerville
Malt will write a statement on Worcester approving a contract for Shot Spotter
Discussion of platform ideas:
- Expanding the Privacy/surveillance plank - https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/DefendingYourPrivacy
- Funding a creator/artist plank
- "Destroy the attention economy so everyone's creativity can flourish!"
- "Fuck the attention economy! Where's our jet packs?"
Discussion of how to present the platform:
- comic as Dutch Pirate Party
- as IKEA catalog like Podemos
- old seafaring scroll
- TikTok videos
- shitposty political memes
Organizing discussion is Saturday, 1-3pm
Pirate News recording starts at 7pm, live at 7:30pm.
* jokeefe - Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/March_10th,_2021_IRC_Meeting * malt2 - sam capradae, worcester * jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville anything to change? * malt2 - nyet * jokeefe - Platform Both new items are up: https://masspirates.org/blog/ourissues/healthcare-is-a-human-right/ * malt2 - Oh cool! * jokeefe - https://masspirates.org/blog/ourissues/education-for-all/ * malt2 - did you have a preference for which platform to pick next? * jokeefe - also on the wiki with links to when we adopted them * malt2 - Tech seems like an obvious one * jokeefe - What specifically in tech? * malt2 - we can start with surveillance worcester just passed funding for shotspotter connect * jokeefe - saw. money down the drain. want to write a statement on it? malt2 -_- i think i do! i'm real sore * jokeefe - Dutch Pirates have a comic as part of their platform: https://twitter.com/Piratenpartij/status/1362758709726883842/photo/1 * malt2 - honestly that's brilliant i definitely know artists if you wanted to commission something similar * jokeefe - some socialist party designed their platform like an ikea catalog. I think it was Unidas Podemos but I cannot find it * malt2 - that's clever * jokeefe - Write what you feel is appropriate on the shot spotter and we can post it. * malt2 - we could do like an old seafaring scroll ok, on it * jokeefe - https://qz.com/702800/spains-podemos-leftist-party-printed-its-program-as-an-ikea-catalog-so-voters-will-actually-read-it/ https://e00-elmundo.uecdn.es/documentos/2016/06/08/programa_electoral_podemos.pdf * malt2 - hahahaaaa that's real clever tiktok videos maybe or we could do memes * jokeefe - yeah, that too * malt2 - like shitposty political memes * jokeefe - https://masspirates.org/blog/2020/03/08/today-record-a-10th-anniv-video-for-the-dutch-pirates/ * malt2 - i've followed some on twitter and i still refuse to believe dutch is a real language * jokeefe - No google translate for Icelandic last I checked This got me thinking: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/10/style/creators-selling-selves.html * malt2 - there is, i used it on some ancient exorcism poems oh that newnew thing? uuuuggghhhh * jokeefe - so there is (Icelandic translation) * malt2 - god imagine being 15 with 3.3 million followers * jokeefe - “... a start-up ... describes its product as creating a “human stock market.” On the app, fans pay to vote in polls to control some of a creator’s day-to-day decisions.” * malt2 - how does that EVEN happen. what is a 15 year old doing???? * jokeefe - "Destroy the attention economy so everyone's creativity can flourish!" * malt2 - nfts are scaaaaams * jokeefe - I liked this tweet: "Wow, I feel like an old fogey after reading this article. I can’t fathom having my daily actions dictated by votes from strangers. Why can’t we get any of the cool futuristic toys like jet packs and food replicators instead of this creepy Dark Mirroresque social monetization?" * malt2 - it's all just so grimy and like, penny-chasing * jokeefe - "Fuck the attention economy! Where's our jet packs!" While mediocre "artists" rip off others and get hundreds of thousands of dollars because they are popular. * malt2 - oh it's a total shitshow economy the first mover advantage is the only thing that mattered in NFT circles * jokeefe - yeah * malt2 - and they are ALREADY abusing the systems to cut out the artist revenue promise 100% people trying to make another tulip mania they can be on the first wave of * jokeefe - how are they cutting out the artists. outsource the art work and keep the cash? * malt2 - well, plenty of the NFTs are straight up stolen even legit NFTs, the payment can be made off-platform then transferred for 0 eth so no percentage goes to the artist there's multiple services that now auto-mint NFTs if you tag a twitter bot in the replies of a tweet * jokeefe - got any links? I need to read up * malt2 - i had honestly thought about trying to get in on this but seeing how gross it is has convinced me that holding off was the right decision it's all on twitter, i'll retweet the stuff from the pirate party account * jokeefe - thanks * malt2 - so that was fun to deal with * jokeefe - So you were thinking of updating: Defending Your Privacy Whether it was the PATRIOT ACT, illegal NSA wiretapping or local surveillance cameras, our government has used 9/11 to increase its surveillance and control over us. Corporations have increased their spying on employees in order to get more work out of them. The arguments for each step on the road to a surveillance state may sound convincing, but that road leads to less control by people and more by government and corporate elites. Terrorists may attack the open society, but only governments can abolish it. The Pirate Party will prevent that from happening. * malt2 - wow, that actually sounds decent as is I'd even add in a line after "corporations" about the invasive tools schools use. * jokeefe - There is more we can add to it. Calling out if corps. collect it, then govt. will get it. definitely * malt2 - "schools surveil students in their homes through hardware enabled cameras they can't ever turn off" it ties into the big data industry also the tools don't work because the point isn't the tools, it's the data they generate * jokeefe - https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/DefendingYourPrivacy * malt2 - did you hear about that trans hacker collective taking down the surveillance company? * jokeefe - Looking back, I like the platform as old seafaring scroll did not link? * malt2 - https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/03/hackers-access-security-cameras-inside-cloudflare-jails-and-hospitals/ * jokeefe - Yes, I heard about the video camera hack, but didn't get the details. Thanks * malt2 - the person has been posting selfies to twitter but also like, photos from inside jails? i'm reeeeaaallly curious to see how the state reacts. * jokeefe - oh yeah. all the cameras are on the internet, so it follows they will be hacked. * malt2 - you'd think! they would know that! by now! but they sell convenience, not tech the tech to do secure cameras is out there * jokeefe - lowest bidder * malt2 - but it's not stylish or buzzworthy that's all they ever sell * jokeefe - aye Let's work on https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/DefendingYourPrivacy and aim to finish it up next meeting. * malt2 - OK! * jokeefe - We are set for the organizing meeting on Saturday * malt2 - I will do my best to get folks to that * jokeefe - Email went out. Blog post is up. trying to spread the word. thanks, malt2 Sunday still good for recording? * malt2 - sure hope so! real tired of surprises OH FRICK RIGHT I'm in facebook jail for like 2 days still * jokeefe - sorry to hear that. * malt2 - yeah i'm dumb as hell i got heated dissing on pastafarians anyho, that's all i got * jokeefe - me too. See you Sat/Sun. Will post notes. Thanks and have a great night * malt2 - you too!