March 12th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions

  1. Event Planning
    1. Mar. 21-22, LibrePlanet
    2. Mar. 22, 2pm - 4pm Cryptoparty, Worcester
    3. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade
    4. Sep. 19 & 20, Freedom Rally - Can register now
  2. PirateCon 2015
    1. Program updates?
  3. New Materials

Defer to next meeting?

  1. Restore the 4th Bills - Jamie hasn't posted blog post about them. Will this weekend.
    1. SD1546 Mandates Police Bodycams, protects data - Summary, Bill text
    2. HD430, Reining in Militarization in Massachusetts - Summary & Bill text


Events Summary

  1. Mar. 18, SCATV Pirate Show, 7pm
  2. Mar. 21-22, LibrePlanet
  3. Mar. 22, Cryptoparty, Worcester
  4. Apr. 25, PirateCon 2015
  5. May 6, International Day against DRM
  6. May, Together Boston Cryptoparty?
  7. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade
  8. Jun. event?
  9. Jul. event?
  10. Aug. event?
  11. Sep., Freedom Rally
  12. Oct. event?
  13. Nov. event?
  14. Dec. event?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • davidd
  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • lisbon (Christoher Maria - Ludlow MA)
  • Bluestreak_ (Lucia Fiero)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, Somerville)
  • Techrev

Observers

  • Pharyngeal
  • zby

Summary

Libreplanet. srevilak will try to give lightning talk, if there's an opportunity to do so. Plan to leave some flyers on the registration table, if possible.

Worcester Public Library cryptoparty. Jamie will send email announcement, and try to get press release out.

Boston Pride Parade. Jokeefe and srevilak are points of contact. Plan to ask for marchers at piratecon.

Would be nice to have a small flyer of upcoming events to distribute at piratecon.

Freedom rally registration is paid for.

Minutes

 
21:02 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/March_12th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:02 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < srevilak> hi all
21:02 < jokeefe> ahoy!
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:04 < lisbon> Ahoy
21:04 < srevilak> hi lisbon
21:04 < jokeefe> ahoy lisbon
21:05 < lisbon> Sorry I haven't been able to  attend the last few IRC
        meetings, I have been taking some classes that run until 11pm
21:05 < lisbon> But it was canceled today :)
21:05 < jokeefe> glad you can make it!
21:06 < jokeefe> Event Planning - LibrePlanet
21:06 < jokeefe> ahoy Bluestreak_
21:07 < Bluestreak_> Ahoy
21:07 < lisbon> Ahoy
21:07 < jokeefe> anything to discuss about Libreplanet?
21:07 < srevilak> I'll be there on Sat, and my name badge will say
        "pirate"
21:08 < srevilak> I don't ever recall them having tabling though
21:08 < srevilak> I've been able to leave 1/4 page flyers on reg table,
        though
21:08 < jokeefe> do you have any?
21:09 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:09 < Kendra> Hi
21:09 < lisbon> Ahoy
21:09 < Kendra> Hi Everyone
21:09 < srevilak> no, no 1/4 page.
21:09 < lisbon> Almost forgot, ID: Christoher Maria - Ludlow MA
21:10 < srevilak> well, maybe a few `vote noelani' 1/4 page :)
21:10 < Bluestreak_> Lucia Fiero
21:10 < Kendra> Kendra Moyer, Somerville
21:10 < jokeefe> I think I have some flyers if you need them, srevilak
21:11 < srevilak> If they have lightning talks, I'll do one
21:11 < jokeefe> thanks
21:11 < srevilak> Will also try to find folks working on civic hacking.
        Make new contacts and such
21:11 < jokeefe> not sure I can make it, but will try
21:12 < jokeefe> Cryptoparty, Worcester - will send email out about,
        need to send a PR out about it to see if we can get some press.
21:13 < srevilak> thx jokeefe
21:13 < srevilak> jokeefe: did we reserve projector @ WPL, or do I need
        to bring yours?
21:14 < jokeefe> I did reserve one., but can bring one in case.
21:14 < srevilak> jokeefe: I like that plan
21:16 < jokeefe> will ping them to be sure they will have one as well
21:16 < jokeefe> Will we go over Signal and RedPhone?
21:17 < srevilak> Only have two hours, so was planning on Jitsi and GnuPG
21:17 < jokeefe> ok. if we have time we can mention them.
21:17 < Kendra> I can maybe touch on OTR if there is time.
21:17 < srevilak> I'm working on a future cryptoparty @ BC law.
21:18 < srevilak> If you're interested in doing presentation on mobile
        crypto, that would be cool :)
21:18 < jokeefe> nice to hear about the possible BC law cryptoparty
21:19 < jokeefe> Will ping Together Boston about May cryptoparty
21:19 < jokeefe> ahoy itspara
21:20 < jokeefe> Boston Pride Parade - we have two contacts: srevilak &
        me, IIRC
21:20 < srevilak> jokeefe: correct
21:21 < jokeefe> should have a sign up list at piratecon
21:21 < jokeefe> blog posts / email blast / crew sign up
21:22 < srevilak> ah, good idea.  Mini-calendar of upcoming events
        (to hand out at piratecon) might be nice to have
21:22 < jokeefe> agreed.
21:22 < jokeefe> Is Freedom Rally paid for?
21:22 < jokeefe> not yet is ok
21:22 < srevilak> jokeefe: yes, check sent to consession ltd on 3/2
21:23 < jokeefe> the die is cast ;-)
21:24 < jokeefe> same thing goes for it as pride: get word out so people
        can sign up
21:25 < jokeefe> any other events we should be at?
21:26 < srevilak> I'm sure there are, but the ones on our immediate list
        make a good start :)
21:26 < jokeefe> tis true
21:26 < jokeefe> speak of
21:27 < srevilak> A group met on Wed @ Arlington St. Church to work on
        contingency plans for Peace parade cancellation
21:27 < srevilak> anyone know what became of that?
21:27 < jokeefe> haven’t heard
21:27 < jokeefe> PirateCon 2015 - program update
21:28 < srevilak> Next officers meeting, can do a workshop on setting
        up civi events :)
21:28 < jokeefe> yes, maybe make those a tech meeting
21:28 < jokeefe> I have two people for the Reimagining the city, and
        one person I contacted.  may have leads on others for it
21:29 < jokeefe> contacted four to five people for net neutrality,
        haven’t heard back.  will start calling by Monday.
21:29 < srevilak> For Wage inequality, have confirmation from socialist
        alternative
21:29 < srevilak> no response from MassNOW, 15 Mass, or Dollars and Sense
21:30 < srevilak> planning to try SEIU1199 and Lesley college next
21:30 < jokeefe> lesley college?
21:30 < srevilak> Yes, they did an action re: associate professor pay
21:30 < jokeefe> ok
21:31 < jokeefe> I think I know who you can contact at lesley, but it
        is probably who you plan to contact
21:31 < jokeefe> followups are in order for the others then
21:31 < srevilak>
        http://m.cambridge.wickedlocal.com/article/20150305/NEWS/150308492
21:32 < jokeefe> good
21:32 < srevilak> jokeefe: yes, keep dialing :)
21:32 < jokeefe> ;-) really need to lock these down this week if possible.
21:32 < srevilak> agreed
21:33 < jokeefe> put a list of tasks at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/To_Do_List_%26_Help_We_Need#Pirate_Con
21:33 < jokeefe> what else to add?
21:34 < jokeefe> if we want to have a mailing, we should get that out
        in the next week or two.
21:34 < jokeefe> snail mailing
21:34 < jokeefe> that is
21:35 < srevilak> Hmm - if the mailing is to promote piratecon, could
        we get away with postcards?
21:36 < srevilak> (cheaper than letters, and easier to stuff)
21:37 < jokeefe> was thinking of it as our fundraising letter as well
21:37 < srevilak> in that case, probably not postcards
21:38 < jokeefe> calling would be more effective though
21:39 < jokeefe> time to finalize the indiegogo idea
21:43 < jokeefe> Moving on - Materials revamp -
        https://www.pirateparty.org.uk/campaigns/activists/all-materials
21:43 < jokeefe> need a few smaller designs for events
21:44  * srevilak is impressed with their avid use of free software
21:44 < jokeefe> yes
21:44 < Bluestreak_> Sorry, I have to run,
21:44 < jokeefe> pdfs aren’t editable.  not sure about svg
21:44 < jokeefe> I know of two graphic designers.  any others?
21:45 < srevilak> svg is editable (inkscape)
21:45 < jokeefe> good
21:45 < jokeefe> need a place for people to easily share designs.
21:46 < jokeefe> blog isn’t it.
21:46 < srevilak> Pedestrian, but
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/2014_Media_and_Graphics
21:47 < jokeefe> https://owncloud.org/ instance?
21:47 < lisbon> Good idea jokeefe
21:47 < srevilak> https://share.mayfirst.org/
21:48 < srevilak> (mayfirst's owncloud instance)
21:48 < srevilak> we're members, we can use it
21:49 < srevilak> does pirate council include `graphic design wizard' :)
21:49 < jokeefe> no, not sure it needs one
21:49 < jokeefe> should be many people
21:50 < jokeefe> share.mayfirst.org uses our main login?
21:50 < srevilak> one advantage of wiki over owncloud is wiki's
        versioning.
21:51 < srevilak> jokeefe: share.mayfirst.org is same as MF/PL control
        panel login
21:51 < srevilak> we can also add accounts (via control panel) for the
        purpose of granting share.mayfirst.org access
21:51 < jokeefe> that limits its usability
21:51 < jokeefe> ok
21:51 < jokeefe> git?
21:51 < srevilak> git is another opton
21:51 < jokeefe> wiki can work, haven’t tried loading files into it
21:51 < srevilak> git is another option
21:52 < srevilak> it's pretty easy: click "Upload file", choose file
21:52 < srevilak> hi Techrev
21:52 < jokeefe> well lets try what we can and see how it works
21:52 < jokeefe> ahoy Techrev
21:53 < Techrev> Hello
21:53 < lisbon> ahoy
21:53 < jokeefe> on other news found this -
        http://ballot-access.org/2015/03/12/massachusetts-bill-to-combine-presidential-primary-with-primary-for-other-office-and-hold-it-in-june/
21:54 < srevilak> That's a pretty reasonable thing to do
21:54 < jokeefe> as long as it doesn’t change our dates it looks fine,
        though I doubt it does that.  need to look at the text
21:55 < srevilak> Now, if we could only get open primaries ...
21:55 < jokeefe> June seems pretty late if you want to have influence
        in the primaries
21:56 < jokeefe> be careful what you wish for, it could get us Top Two
21:56 < jokeefe> <sarcasm>yay, fewer choices</sarcasm>
21:57 < jokeefe> ok, we are pretty much at time
21:57 < srevilak> Actually, I meant "open" as in "you can pick any party
        ticket to vote"
21:57 < jokeefe> Agreed
21:57 < jokeefe> anything folks want to add?
21:58 < lisbon> nope,  not much this week
21:58 < Kendra> I will look at the list and see if I can help with
        anything for Pirate Con.  Did you get a table at Libre Planet?
21:58 < jokeefe> not this year
21:58 < jokeefe> good luck with classes, lisbon
21:59 < lisbon> thanks
21:59 < jokeefe> thanks, Kendra
22:00 < jokeefe> well then, motion to adjourn?
22:00 < lisbon> Shall we vote to close?
22:00 < srevilak> second
22:00 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:00 < srevilak> aye
22:00 < lisbon> aye
22:00 < Kendra> aye
22:00 < Kendra> nite
22:01 < lisbon> bye :)