March 13th, 2019 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


3/10 Boston-area Pirate Meetup


Endorsement request for Face surveillance and other "at a distance" biometric tracking bills

We have been asked to endorse these bills on prohibiting or regulating face surveillance and other related tracking techniques:


Goals for Q1:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings

Video Newsletter

Officer/Pirate Council Elections


  • Nominations open when we announce and post the form (before 2/20).
  • Nominations due by 4/8
  • Ballots sent out by 4/12
  • Ballot due by 4/23

Boston Sex Worker Petition


  • find discussion/voting system
  • update blog theme
  • update civicrm software
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Post individual autonomy plank

Mesh Net


Election Campaigns

Bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

HD388 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around.

There isn't a hearing date for it yet, but suggest that we be active in opposing this bill.

Action items:

  • Tell our supporters how to oppose it
  • Look out for a hearing date
  • If possible, reach out to other groups to organize a lobby day

Update Platform

CCTV camera map

Other To Dos

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Computer Donations

On hold -

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 3/19, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 3/23, 2pm-4:45pm, Lowell-area Pirate Meetup, Pollard Memorial Library, 401 Merrimack St, Lowell
  • 3/26, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 4/2, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • late April?, Worcester-area Pirate Meetup, Worcester
  • 5/18, 10:30am-1:45pm, Somerville-area Pirate Meetup, Somerville Public Library, Somerville
  • late June, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Holyoke


  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Malt: sam capradae, worcester
  • Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell


  • ChanServ
  • idel[m]
  • hvxgr_
  • davidd
  • Mikaela_Suomalainen
  • bonelesspepsi[m]




[9:00pm] jokeefe: Agenda:,_2019_IRC_Meeting
[9:00pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:00pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:00pm] Malt: sam capradae, worcester
[9:00pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:01pm] jokeefe: how are you all?
[9:01pm] jokeefe: anything to add?
[9:01pm] Pirate_Joe: I am well, tired though
[9:02pm] Pirate_Joe: You?
[9:02pm] jokeefe: busy day
[9:02pm] Pirate_Joe: These last few days, yes
[9:02pm] Malt: saaaame
[9:02pm] jokeefe: tired seems to be a regular state
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Review
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Nothing to add that is not already listed.
[9:03pm] jokeefe: 3/10 Boston-area Pirate Meetup
[9:03pm] jokeefe: I posted the notes from the discussion
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Will get a blog post up about it too
[9:04pm] jokeefe: I have the videos, but I haven’t stitched them together yet
[9:04pm] Malt: nice
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: How far did the video's go?
[9:04pm] Malt: if it's nothing too intensive i can stitch them together fine
[9:04pm] Malt: i know VSDC
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Pirate_Joe: I haven’t looked at it yet
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: No worries.
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Thanks, Malt. I’ll see what I can do this weekend, and if it takes too long, I’ll send them your way
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: It was a good start, I hope we get more people at the next one.
[9:07pm] Malt: my new job is fairly feast-or-famine, and i'm between assignments
[9:07pm] Malt: i've got a class 8pm saturday nights now so i'll be around
[9:07pm] jokeefe: It was productive. I thought the idea to focus on first 100 days/1 year was a good approach
[9:08pm] jokeefe: cool. good luck with the class Malt
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: FYI - Facebook/instragram is getting major outages
[9:08pm] jokeefe: We’ll have to put more effort into turning people out to the next few
[9:09pm] jokeefe: Oh really. thought FB would be able to stabilize their systems by now
[9:09pm] jokeefe: Shall we move on to Decisions/Endorsements?
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: Si
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Endorsement request for Face surveillance and other "at a distance" biometric tracking bills
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Bills are:
[9:10pm] jokeefe: SD.671, sponsored by Senator Creem
[9:10pm] jokeefe: H.1538, sponsored by Rep. Rogers
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Key point of SD.671 is “Absent express statutory authorization, it shall be unlawful for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or any Massachusetts government official to acquire, possess, access, or use any biometric surveillance system, or acquire, possess, access, or use information derived from a biometric surveillance system operated by another entity.”
[9:13pm] Malt: yesssss
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: These both seem like things we fight for.  I support it.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: It then regulates what is required to approve such tech
[9:15pm] jokeefe: The bills look similar if not the same
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Endorse it?
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:16pm] Malt: aye
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Aye
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Any opposed?
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Motion passes to endorse them then
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings
[9:17pm] jokeefe: What do we need for the 3/23 meeting, Pirate_Joe. anything I should plan to bring?
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: Projector screen
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe:
[9:18pm] jokeefe: I don’t have one. you do yes?
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: I still need to hit that list now that I have access
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, I do.
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: It's set up in my man cave
[9:18pm] Malt: Worcester's meeting in the Worcshop
[9:19pm] jokeefe: great. what day?
[9:19pm] Malt: gonna fill out the forms then send them in for approval as soon as i get them sent to me
[9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: Still waiting on Joe to send me the bill for the Boston meeting
[9:19pm] jokeefe: ok, do we have a date, Malt?
[9:20pm] jokeefe: I’ll check with Joe about the cost, Pirate_Joe
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: Thank you
[9:22pm] Malt: not set in stone but it'll be late april on account of i'm vanishing for a week
[9:22pm] jokeefe: ok. When you know the final date/time, we can start telling people
[9:23pm] jokeefe: I was able to schedule the Somerville Public Library for May 18th
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Hopefully will have Holyoke public library in June
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: Want to do one up on the North shore after that?
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Maybe the Cape in July, we’ll have to see
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Sure
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: Or Cape
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: Cape may work good too
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: My family has a place down there, so weather permitting we could have it on the beach <3
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Just a thought. Need someone to organize the Cape, so somewhere in your neck of the woods would be good too
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: Having a home there means we get access to resident only beaches
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: I know there will be a week in June that I'm on vacation
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: hope it does not line up with the meeting
[9:27pm] jokeefe: oooo beach meeting!
[9:27pm] jokeefe: cook out?
[9:27pm] jokeefe:
[9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: Fire is generally not permitted but we could do a picnic
[9:28pm] jokeefe: that is good too
[9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: too much wind tbh
[9:28pm] Malt: lol
[9:29pm] jokeefe: so good kite flying weather?
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: very
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter - When should we record the next one?
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: Monday 8-9 start?
[9:33pm] jokeefe: I could do that, but I would be late. 8:30-9:30 would be better
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: that was for when we start, if 8:30 works better for you, lets do it.
[9:33pm] Malt: this monday i'm spoken for
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: Later in the week I'm more tied up
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Monday is fine with me
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: We were going to try and get the chair lady on Monday as well
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: I'll see if she is available
[9:35pm] jokeefe: great
[9:37pm] jokeefe: Officer/Pirate Council Elections - three nominations so far
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: I am on there, correcT?
[9:38pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:40pm] jokeefe: will send reminders to supporters
[9:41pm] jokeefe: call volunteers
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: I was going to send them an email
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: Should I do it through the pirate email or my own?
[9:42pm] jokeefe: whichever way you want
[9:42pm] Pirate_Joe: Ok, ty
[9:42pm] jokeefe: I can show you how to send email from the database
[9:43pm] Pirate_Joe: I was just going to copy and paste.  Maybe if we both remember, you can show me that the next regional meeting
[9:43pm] Malt: the civicRM is a neat interface
[9:44pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:45pm] jokeefe: would be happy to show you, or could do it via video chat.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: whatever works
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Boston Sex Worker Petition continues
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joe: Thank you
[9:46pm] Malt: is desmond still handling outreach to fetish communities?
[9:46pm] jokeefe: as far as I know
[9:47pm] jokeefe: Tech/Outreach - no progress. Feb/March have been busy schedule-wise. Will schedule a new meeting.
[9:47pm] Pirate_Joe: His health has been a challenge, perhaps one of us can reach out to him to support him
[9:47pm] Pirate_Joe: Malt, if you have some free time this week, could you see where he is at?
[9:47pm] jokeefe: or several of us, thanks for that reminder
[9:47pm] Malt: i
[9:48pm] Malt: i'll ping him
[9:48pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:48pm] jokeefe: Post individual autonomy plank - sorry, I haven’t yet. will do it tomorrow.
[9:48pm] Pirate_Joe: Thank you. This week is a bit crazy for me, I need to hire more people.
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Mesh Net - they continue to make progress, but igel[m] would have more detailed news
[9:50pm] Pirate_Joe: When is the next Meshnet?
[9:51pm] Pirate_Joe: And can we schedule one for Lowell later this year?
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Next Tuesday, 7-9pm
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Probably. Will bring it up to igel[m]
[9:51pm] jokeefe: They recently went on the road -
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Cryptoparties - I will be helping BC law school with one next week.  One at the Boston Public Library in May
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Need to check with the organizer of one in April
[9:58pm] jokeefe: Election Campaign - I need to look over the scripts Nick did for the how to run videos and start recording them.
[9:58pm] jokeefe: That is all I have
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: This is a bit off topic
[9:59pm] jokeefe: Next national meeting is the 25th, yes?
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: But I heard a good one today
[9:59pm] jokeefe: oh?
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: Humpty Trumpty sat on a wall.....
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: Humpty Trumpty had a great fall!
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: Nothing serious
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: Just thought that was funny
[10:00pm] jokeefe:  there needs to be more.
[10:01pm] jokeefe: anything else?
[10:01pm] Pirate_Joe: We are at time sir
[10:02pm] jokeefe: that we are.
[10:02pm] jokeefe: shall we adjourn?
[10:02pm] Pirate_Joe: I second
[10:02pm] Malt: aye
[10:02pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:02pm] Pirate_Joe: aye
[10:02pm] jokeefe: thanks to you all!
[10:02pm] Pirate_Joe: Good night gents
[10:02pm] jokeefe: have a wonderful week
[10:03pm] Pirate_Joe: you too