March 18th, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Covid-19 Planning

Projects

Goals for Q1 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings/Events

All meetings on hold dues to Covid-19.

Leader: jokeefe

-Lowell Meetup 3/21-

  • Boston (jokeefe) - E5 is open on Saturdays. Emailed poll for setting a date.
  • Worcester (Malt)
  • Boston Pride Festival
    • table booked
    • setup signup sheet
    • Announce
    • Need to purchase insurance
    • Need volunteer sign up form
    • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 6pm unless changed

Computer Donations

On hold

  • srevilak/jokeefe working on sign up form.
  • Joe Location still being worked on.

Bills

Right to Repair

  • out of committee
  • next email will urge supporters to call their state senator/rep. and urge them to support it
  • see if people willing to setup meeting with reps.

Facial Recognition and other bills still in committee.

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

-Next meeting will be 4/12, 2-4pm, Mr Crêpe?, 51 Davis Sq, Somerville.-

Topics are:

  • find discussion/voting system;
  • update CCTV cameras to include older cameras outside North America we didn't include;
  • write an app to record the location/ownership of CCTV cameras;
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds);
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak).

Tabled Projects

National Party

Boston Sex Worker Petition

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 3/10, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
  • 3/17, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  • 3/21, 10am-2pm, Lowell Meetup, Lowell Public Library
  • 3/24, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 4/7, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Culture House, Harvard Square
  • 4/12, 2pm-4pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, Mr Crêpe?, 51 Davis Sq, Somerville
  • 4/29, 7-9pm, Boston Cryptoparty, Encuentro 5, Boston
  • April 2020, ?, Boston Meetup
  • Spring 2020, ?, Worcester Meetup
  • Spring 2020, ?, Springfield Meetup

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • Malt (Sam capradae, Worcester)
  • Joe (Joseph Onoroski, Lowell)

Observers

  • davidd
  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy

Summary

Lots of chatting about COVID-19.

We'll do a pirate news recording at 6pm on Sunday.

Minutes

 
21:02 <@jokeefe> Agenda -
       https://masspirates.org/wiki/March_18th,_2020_IRC_Meeting
21:02 <@jokeefe> ids
21:02 < Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:02 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:02 < Malt> Sam capradae, Worcester
21:02 <@jokeefe> Anything to add?
21:03 < Malt> Non
21:03 <@jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements
21:03 <@jokeefe> Covid-19 Planning
21:03 <@jokeefe> Thoughts on where this is going?
21:04 < srevilak> Well, we've been successful in practicing weekly social
       distancing for years now
21:04 < Malt> Bad places
21:04 < Joe> It's either a lot worse than what they are telling us or
       it will all blow over soon.
21:04 < Malt> We don't know how bad it is
21:04 < Malt> Noone does
21:04 < Malt> We don't have the tests
21:04 < Joe> By the way that they are closing preschools and kindergardens
       I would lean towards worse.
21:05 < srevilak> The state has closed schools and banned large
       gatherings.
21:05 < srevilak> I'm spending a lot of time cooped in my room.
21:05 < srevilak> I work here, I recreate here
21:06 <@jokeefe> Yeah, got four of us in the house
21:07 < Malt> Yiwza
21:07 < Malt> Yowza
21:07 < srevilak> On the bright side, I'm still able to get bike riding in
21:08 < srevilak> Perhaps this is warmup for future climate related
       disasters
21:08 <@jokeefe> Think there will be stay at home order?
21:08 < Joe> Gov practicing citizen control?
21:09 <@jokeefe> Leave no crisis unexploited
21:09 <@jokeefe> Just like 2008
21:09 < srevilak> Even CA's stay at home order allows people to go out and
       exercise.  You just have to do it yourself, or with someone you live with
21:09 < Joe> Each one another chance to strip away our rights.
21:09 < Malt> Stay at home probably not
21:10 <@jokeefe> The PATRIOT Act renewal didn’t pass.
21:10 < srevilak> In the grand scheme of things, it's serious, it's
       inconvenient, but I've been through worse
21:11 <@jokeefe> They have ~75 days to amend it
21:11 < Malt> Just fucked we do this to save old people but nothing to
       stop climate change
21:11 < Malt> Good on the Patriot act!
21:11 <@jokeefe> Not just old people
21:11 < srevilak> jokeefe: at least that's good new on the patriot act
21:11 <@jokeefe> yes
21:11 < Malt> I know, one of my friends tested positive
21:12 < Joe> Didn't this have a temp affect on climate change?
21:12 < Malt> It won't last
21:12 < srevilak> Joe: yes, reduced emissions.  No travelling
21:13 <@jokeefe> How long did it take the Chinese to get it under control?
       Two months?
21:14 < Malt> Massive social control
21:15 < Joe> 4
21:15 < Joe> 4 plus
21:16 < Joe> Started in November, just closed the last temp hospital
       last week
21:16 <@jokeefe> Taiwan used phone/GPS tracking to id people who were
       carriers
21:16 <@jokeefe> They want to do that here
21:17 <@jokeefe>
       https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1239982234918105093
21:18 <@jokeefe> Where do you think this will go?
21:19 < Joe> I think that things will get locked down more.
21:19 < srevilak> In the grand scheme of things, we will have seen worse
21:19 < Malt> It's a dry run for what's coming
21:19 < Joe> This is a golden opportunity for the gov to flex it's
       power. In the end, I think that the virus will do minimal damage.
21:20 < Malt> It's the format trump will use when he takes full control
21:21 < srevilak> I think of Laos, Dresden, Hiroshima
21:21 < srevilak> Being cooped up at home isn't so bad
21:21 <@jokeefe> On the first topic, it may be good that the
       administration is not competent.  Unfortunately that affects how many
       people will die as well
21:21 < srevilak> There's going to be an interesting effect on town
       government
21:21 <@jokeefe> Virtual meetings?
21:22 < Joe> Well, we did see him try to down play it at first because
       he did not want his perfect economy ruined.
21:22 < srevilak> We rely on April elections and a spring town meeting
       in order to elect reps, pass budgets, etc
21:22 < Malt> I think he's going to flank the Dems from the left
21:22 < srevilak> The average age of an Arlington poll worker is 70
21:22 < srevilak> So an April 4th election isn't a great idea
21:23 < Malt> Universal health care but it's a giant corporate panopticon
21:23 <@jokeefe> Galvin doesn’t seem keen to push back elections
21:23 < Malt> Alphabet's COVID site is a HIPAAviolating nightmare
21:23 < srevilak> Yeah.  There are 351-56=295 towns in MA
21:23 <@jokeefe> yeah
21:24 < srevilak> spring town meetings will be an interesting bit
21:24 < srevilak> If we don't pass budgets and have them approved by
       the AG
21:24 < srevilak> when 7/1/2020 comes around, we can't spend money
21:25 < Malt> Yikes
21:25 < srevilak> COVID is one thing.  Lack of working water, sewer,
       trash pickup is another
21:25 <@jokeefe> no emergency powers?
21:25 <@jokeefe> agree on that point
21:25 < srevilak> jokeefe: that may have to come from the governor
21:26 <@jokeefe> Still so many unemployed, without income, will harm
       so many.  $1000/person isn’t much.
21:26 < Malt> Glad unemployment is kicking in for folks
21:27 <@jokeefe> Most of Trump’s bailout wouldn’t go to people
21:27 < Joe> Go to the landlords, really
21:28 < Malt> Ugh
21:28 < Malt> We should push a rent strike
21:28 <@jokeefe> I was thinking corporations
21:28 < srevilak> Foreclosures add an interesting angle.  Can't shelter
       in place if you've got no place
21:29 <@jokeefe> Land lords are already threatening to put people out
21:29 < Malt> We gotta get behind the moratorium
21:32 <@jokeefe> Certainly for houses owned by hedgefunds
21:32 <@jokeefe> Got a link?
21:33 < Malt>
       Lhttps://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston.com/news/local-news/2020/03/13/massachusetts-eviction-moratorium-coronavirus/amp
21:33 < Malt> There was a petition circulating but I can't find it
21:33 <@jokeefe> Also heard from MAAPL about a foreclosure moratorium
21:34 < Malt> I think that's just public housing
21:35 <@jokeefe> Thanks, Malt
21:36 <@jokeefe> Estimates for how long the assembly limitations and
       social distancing will last?
21:36 < Malt> A year
21:37 < Joe> I am sorry my mates, but unfortunately I have a brutal day
       tomorrow. May I be excused?
21:38 <@jokeefe> Go for it.
21:38 <@jokeefe> Stay safe
21:38 < Joe> I trust in any decisions you make.
21:38 < Joe> GN
21:38 <@jokeefe> night
21:41 < Malt> I've seen one quote say 18 months
21:41 <@jokeefe> seen that too
21:41 < srevilak> Poo flows downhill.  Woe is you who lives in the valley
21:42 < Malt> And! It might be recurring
21:42 < Malt> Yearly
21:43 <@jokeefe> If it lasts that long, it could help Trump win in
       November
21:45 < Malt> The Democrats are blundering a response
21:46 <@jokeefe> Ain’t that the truth
       https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1239953883943878656
21:47 <@jokeefe> And the sick leave program doesn’t cover every worker
21:47 < srevilak> FWIW, I just told my tennant that April rent is on
       the house
21:47 <@jokeefe> Expect whatever UBI will be means tested
21:48 < Malt> The sick leave bill is a joke
21:48 <@jokeefe> just so the the 1% won’t get a $1000
21:48 < srevilak> Are we going to do a pirate news this Sunday?
21:48 <@jokeefe> I was planning to
21:48 <@jokeefe> 6pm ok?
21:49 < srevilak> fine by me
21:49 < srevilak> I'll be home
21:49 < srevilak> :)
21:49 <@jokeefe> lol
21:49 <@jokeefe> Malt?
21:49 < Malt> Yeah
21:51 <@jokeefe> srevilak - shall we try an on-line tech meeting?
21:51 < srevilak> sure
21:53 <@jokeefe> Shall we adjourn then?
21:54 < Malt> Ok
21:55 < srevilak> aye
21:55 <@jokeefe> stay safe
21:55 < Malt> Night pals
21:55 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:55 <@jokeefe> thanks