March 25th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions

  1. PirateCon 2015
    1. Schedule: https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSchedule
    2. Materials/Logistics: https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSiteDetails
    3. Site planning
    4. Poster / flyers
    5. Fundraising
      1. How much in our account?
      2. Let people register w/o paying and take money at the door. Provide link for those who want to pay?
  2. Event Planning
    1. May 2, Point to Point Camp
    2. May 6, International Day against DRM
    3. May 29-31, Possibility of proposing a panel at the Left Forum in NYC
    4. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade
    5. Sep. 19 & 20, Freedom Rally
  3. New Materials

Defer to next meeting?

  1. Restore the 4th Bills - Jamie hasn't posted blog post about them. Will this weekend.
    1. SD1546 Mandates Police Bodycams, protects data - Summary, Bill text
    2. HD430, Reining in Militarization in Massachusetts - Summary & Bill text

Events Summary

  1. Apr. 2, Boston College Internet Law Society cryptoparty, srevilak presenting, others wanted
  2. Apr. 25, PirateCon 2015
  3. May 2, Point to Point Camp cryptoparty
  4. May 6, International Day against DRM
  5. May, Together Boston Cryptoparty?
  6. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade
  7. Jun. event?
  8. Jul. event?
  9. Aug. event?
  10. Sep., Freedom Rally
  11. Oct. event?
  12. Nov. event?
  13. Dec. event?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe
  • igel
  • davidd
  • srevilak
  • noe
  • paper_waves

Observers

  • zby
  • Pharyngeal

Summary

Lots of discussion about Piratecon logistics.

Minutes

 
@20:57 < jokeefe> hello!
20:57 < igel> lo!
20:57 < davidd> hi!
20:58 < igel> all, thanks again so much for putting up the blog on
        mesh nets
20:58 < jokeefe> you are welcome of course
20:58 < igel> its opened so many connections along the way
20:59 < jokeefe> you are up late davidd
20:59 < davidd> it is an hour less than normal because the asynchronous
        dst
21:00 < igel> Caffeine, you can sleep when you are dead :)
21:00 < jokeefe> :-)
21:01 < srevilak> hi all
21:01 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/March_25th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:02 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:02 < igel> William Fleurant, Arlington MA
21:05 < jokeefe> PirateCon - any further discussion on the revised
        schedule?
21:07 < igel> was the call for candidates was pushed up to noon?
21:07 < jokeefe> no, will do the call at 10am before keynote
21:09 < jokeefe> Schedule A’ at
        https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSchedule
21:09 < igel> ah i see, it at 10am
21:11 < igel> are the lightening talks filled by now?
21:12 < srevilak> igel: I don't think we've starting putting a list
        together.
21:12 < srevilak> I think plan was to do that the day of conference
21:13 < srevilak> I've been having a difficult time finding panelists
        for Wage inequality
21:13 < srevilak> So far, have one firm, one maybe
21:13 < noe> I poked one of the adjuncts at Tufts who voted for
        unionization
21:13 < jokeefe> I could be a third
21:13 < noe> They have not responded.  :(
21:13 < srevilak> Thanks jokeefe
21:14 < srevilak> I'll continue to pursue people
21:14 < jokeefe> nothing from the living wage campaign folks?
21:14 < srevilak> wageaction.org is my `maybe'
21:14 < noe> Having talked to some of the 15 Now people, many of them
        are reluctant to speak at a Con that is not of their 'party'
21:14 < jokeefe> ok, I have one other possibility for the rethinking the
        city talk.  will ping the two folks who said yes and make sure they are
        ok with only two.
21:14 < noe> Whatever that means.
21:14 < jokeefe> sigh, noe
21:15 < srevilak> exchanged some email with their communications director.
        Haven't been able to get him on their phone
21:15 < srevilak> s/their phone/the phone/
21:15 < srevilak> hi paper_waves
21:15 < jokeefe> welcome paper_waves!
21:15 < noe> ahoy!
21:15 < paper_waves> hi everyone!
21:16 < srevilak> agenda at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/March_25th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:16 < paper_waves> This is my first time on the pirates chat
21:16 < jokeefe> Looking at PirateCon Schedule A’ at
        https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSchedule
21:17 < jokeefe> Just go with it?
21:18 < igel> wageaction.org, what else?
21:18 < srevilak> A' looks okay to m
21:18 < srevilak> A' looks okay to me
21:19 < noe> I am fine with all schedules
21:19 < noe> They seem nearly equivalent.
21:19 < jokeefe> I say just go with it.  times awasting
21:20 < noe> Should we pick one?  The one on the top looks fine (this
        is A")
21:20 < paper_waves> there are 3 "schedule A"s, aren't they the same?
21:21 < jokeefe> Sorry A’’
21:21 < jokeefe> Top one
21:21 < paper_waves> oh haha I see now
21:21 < jokeefe> We were going to go with A, but had to modify it a bit
21:22 < jokeefe> Pretty much A’’ and A’ are the same but with more
        time for key note
21:23 < jokeefe> So A’’ (top one) then?
21:23 < noe> yup
21:23 < noe> do we have to do the motion, second, voting?
21:23 < noe> or can we just do it?
21:23 < jokeefe> any objections?
21:24 < srevilak> no objection here
21:24 < noe> no objections here
21:24 < paper_waves> looks like a full schedule! no objections
21:25 < jokeefe> yes it is
21:25 < jokeefe> I say go for it.  seeing no objections moving on
21:25 < jokeefe> Site planning  - wifi is all set
21:26 < jokeefe> other items? materials we need day of?
21:26 < srevilak> I think materials requires a separate list
21:26 < igel> voter registration
21:26 < noe> pamphlets . . . pirate swag?
21:27 < jokeefe> https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSiteDetails
21:30 < srevilak> what about recording panels?
21:30 < srevilak> (as in audio/video)
21:31 < noe> I can try to pull a shotgun mic and a vixia from SCATV
21:31 < jokeefe> we have to do that, even if not live streamed
21:31 < srevilak> What's a vixia?
21:31 < jokeefe> context?
21:31 < igel> cool
21:31 < noe> Its a Sony model camera
21:32 < srevilak> noe: thx
21:32 < noe> we used it for the Somerville Cryptoparty
21:32 < noe> I will try to sign up for these things tomorrow (SCATV is
        closed right now)
21:32 < noe> I'd ask for the Canon DSLR, but its HUGE AND TERRIBLE
        TO CARRY
21:32 < noe> terrible
21:33 < jokeefe> I can help you pick it up and take it there and back
21:34 < jokeefe> So if anyone can put their names to things on
        https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSiteDetails that would be great
21:37 < jokeefe> [Lot of work happening at
        https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSiteDetails - for the record]
21:37 < srevilak> On the poster side, I'll ask Dana if he has time to
        put something together
21:37 < jokeefe> Thank you.
21:38 < paper_waves> I don't know yet if I will be in here for the big
        event, but if not I can drop off a whole bunch of copied zines to someone
        the days before. If you have any recommended texts/ pamphlets you want
        printed, just let me know
21:38 < jokeefe> Will also ask Kate.
21:38 < jokeefe> sounds good paper_waves
21:39 < srevilak> also re: piratecon: mailed CCB's rental contract +
        balance this morning
21:39 < jokeefe> good.  thank you srevilak.
21:39 < jokeefe> do we have enough for the site details?
21:39 < srevilak> I think so.
21:40 < srevilak> Main logistical piece we need are door codes, and
        those should be coming later
21:40 < noe> srevilak:  thx
21:40 < srevilak> In terms of funding, we have $815 in the bank
21:40 < srevilak> (that's after rental fees)
21:41 < jokeefe> oh good.  and that is after paying for Freedom Rally?
21:41 < srevilak> yes.  Freedom rally is paid for
21:42 < noe> O_o  we have money?
21:42 < igel> ^
21:42 < jokeefe> nice isn’t it
21:42 < noe> amazing.  we should pat ourselves on the back and make sure
        to thank donators
21:42 < jokeefe> ok, email participants today and this weekend, confirming
21:42 < jokeefe> yes, and encourage people to give more if they can
21:42 < jokeefe> ;-)
21:43 < srevilak> jokeefe: I like the idea of having web payment form.
        Presume pirxy should work
21:43 < jokeefe> yes it will
21:43 < jokeefe> I can update it by Sunday
21:43 < srevilak> And of course, cash day of.  Because most people seem
        to contribute that way
21:44 < noe> its more anonymous
21:44 < jokeefe> looks like we moved to fundraising
21:44 < jokeefe> I was thinking of a crew page for those people who
        don’t have credit cards or just want to pay at the door
21:45 < igel> hmm
21:45 < srevilak> jokeefe: civi event for rsvp should be fine
21:45 < jokeefe> Lets try both and see how it works
21:46 < jokeefe> srevilak, does the audio board have two output jacks?
21:46 < srevilak> it's mono
21:46 < srevilak> IIRC, Peavy XR600-C
21:47 < jokeefe> no, I mean can we output to two different devices
21:47 < jokeefe> video recorder and live stream
21:47 < srevilak> might need a Y-adapter
21:47 < srevilak> but w/Y-adapter, should be fine
21:47 < jokeefe>
        http://www.manualslib.com/manual/121146/Peavey-Xr600c.html
21:48 < srevilak> yep, that's basically it
21:48 < jokeefe> looks like there is a main output.  don’t know if we
        could use the effect output
21:49 < jokeefe> something to consider if someone offers to help
        livestream
21:49 < srevilak> typically, you'd do separate mixes of `main' and `mon'
        (monitor)
21:50 < jokeefe> ok
21:50 < jokeefe> Event Planning
21:50 < srevilak> doing Y-jack to connect two high impedance inputs is
        also fine
21:50 < jokeefe> thanks
21:50 < jokeefe> We were asked to host a cryptotable at the Point to
        Point Camp on May 2nd.  We would get to be a sponsor of it.
21:51 < jokeefe> P2P Camp - http://ptp.camp/
21:51 < jokeefe> It is an unconference
21:52 < jokeefe> I would be happy to help with it.  srevilak, you game?
        if we got a few more people we could be able to see the conference
21:52 < srevilak> I'm game
21:52 < srevilak> agreed, would be nice to have a few people, to tag
        team tabling
21:52 < srevilak> (so we all have the opportunity to see some of the
        conference)
21:53 < jokeefe> we have an objective then.  Will tell them yes.
21:53 < srevilak> anyone else interested in being part of crypto table?
21:53 < noe> I should be able to go to P2P
21:53 < jokeefe> thanks
21:53 < noe> talking about crypto is fun!
21:54 < jokeefe> May 6, International Day against DRM - srevilak, whats
        the plan?  we need flyers yes?
21:54 < srevilak> talked with zak @ libreplanet
21:54 < srevilak> FSF will be doing flyers
21:54 < srevilak> we're welcome to flyer with them, or hold our own event
21:55 < srevilak> zak knows that our conference is 4/25.
21:55 < srevilak> I think he appreciates the organizing logistics :)
21:55 < jokeefe> :-)  where are they flyering?
21:55 < srevilak> Don't know yet.  Should be announcing something Real
        Soon Now.
21:56 < paper_waves> I'm also down to talk about crypto at ptp
21:56 < noe> hooray!  the more the merrier.  :)
21:56 < srevilak> paper_waves: awesome!
21:56 < jokeefe> thanks paper_waves
21:57 < jokeefe> Everyone should sign up at http://ptp.camp/
21:57 < jokeefe> it is free, IIRC
21:57 < jokeefe> Would they like us to use their flyer design or can we
        make our own?
21:57 < jokeefe> Perhaps pirate branded?
21:58 < srevilak> jokeefe: ptp or drm?
21:58 < srevilak> (flyer, that is)
21:58 < jokeefe> drm
21:58 < jokeefe> we should have our own new flyers by ptp (well piratecon)
21:58 < srevilak> I don't think the FSF would mind if we remixed their
        flyer
21:59 < noe> we are close to time
21:59 < noe> any last pieces of business we need to decide right now?
22:00 < jokeefe> srevilak, ok to discuss May 29-31, Possibility of
        proposing a panel at the Left Forum in NYC next time?
22:00 < jokeefe> or is there a deadline involved?
22:00 < srevilak> paper_waves suggested the idea
22:01 < srevilak> paper_waves: would you like to say a few things about
        left forum?
22:01 < jokeefe> anti-CPAC?
22:01 < srevilak> http://www.leftforum.org/
22:02 < noe> looks groovy  :)
22:02 < srevilak> deadline for panel submissions is april 5th
22:02 < jokeefe> topic ideas?
22:03 < paper_waves> so I recently submitted a workshop called
        "deconstructing the surveillance state: an intro to secure
        communication". I've done it before and it's a presentation with slides
        and a lot of discussion between. I was looking more though at how the
        panels are run (there were hundreds last year, with over 4000 people
        attending) it's usually a moderator and a panel of 3 or so people. I
        just wanted to ask/ suggest if the PP has ever pa
22:03 < paper_waves> to being issues of surveillance/cryptography to
        the greater activist community
22:03 < jokeefe> how about this: anyone who wants to work on topic
        ideas stick around and hash them out and those folks can run with it.
        pirates don’t ask permission and all
22:03 < jokeefe> we can rope the NY Pirates as well
22:04 < noe> paper_waves:  that sounds awesome
22:04 < paper_waves> ** dismantling the surveillance state
22:04 < jokeefe> ++good
22:04 < srevilak> paper_waves: I like it
22:05 < srevilak> As jamie said, we like to let people run with their
        own ideas, and support each other as much as possible
22:05 < noe> People do ask us to run crypto FAQs and how-tos, but I've
        not seen a Pirate do a panel on it.
22:05 < noe> I would support that.
22:06 < jokeefe> discuss details by email?
22:06 < paper_waves> I'm still figuring out how it would look, if it
        would be a separate panel from the workshop I've proposed, or if i would
        change my own idea.. or both? lots to plan/ think for it
22:06 < paper_waves> I just heard about the event at libre planet. It
        seems like the biggest event for the political left in the country
22:07 < noe> Makes a lot of sense for us to go.
22:07 < paper_waves> it could be a serious opportunity to get crypto
        ideas into a much wider audience, especially other radical-minded folks
22:07 < jokeefe> aye
22:09 < srevilak> I think we're past time.  Motion to adjourn?
22:09 < paper_waves> if anyone wants to talk more about it or help plan
        it, you can email me at paper_waves@... and then I will add all
        of us to one email thread
22:09 < noe> srevilak:  so moved
22:09 < jokeefe> 2nd
22:09 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:10 < noe> aye
22:10 < jokeefe> sending introduction email paper_waves
22:10 < paper_waves> yay!
22:10 < srevilak> will post transcript