March 28th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Annoy Legislators for Freedom

LibrePlanet

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Conference

PirateCon 2017 Topics

Fundraising

Campaign Workshops

Planks

Previous work in this area: https://github.com/masspirates/planks

Message board application

Local Surveillance Ordinances

Projects On Hold For the Moment

First two of these could be topics for future hackathons.

CCTV Camera Map

Looking at organizing a map-a-thon.

Together Boston Meshnet

MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign

Upcoming Events


See: 2017 calendar

Participants

  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • WilliamOfHunts (Chris Foran - Roxbury)

Observers

  • davidd
  • igel
  • jotaemei
  • papegaai
  • Techrev

Summary

Annoy legislators for freedom talk went well. Jamie recorded the talk and is uploading it to youtube.

Libreplanet. Nice turnout for Sunday Cryptotable. Steve pitched running for office during a Lightning talk on Saturday. Learned that DoD is starting to experiment with FOSS. See http://code.mil/

Monday cryptoparty had a good turn out.

Piratecon schedule. We had lots of talk proposals. We found a way to get everyone in. We'll have seven 45-minutes slots, with a five minute break between each slot. Plus lightning talks. See PirateCon 2017 Topics for talk groupings.

To Dos

Piratecon code of conduct

Minutes

 
21:07 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/March_28th,_2017_IRC_Meeting
21:07 < papegaai> Title: March 28th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:08 < jokeefe> I tried to organize them into similar topics -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/PirateCon_2017_Topics
21:08 < papegaai> Title: PirateCon 2017 Topics - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:10 < jokeefe> ids
21:10 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:10 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:13 < jokeefe> Review
21:13 < jokeefe> Annoy Legislators for Freedom talk went well
21:14 < jokeefe> Recorded it. Edited it.  Uploading it to our youtube
        channel. Hopefully will be done tonight.
21:15 < jokeefe> LibrePlanet
21:16 < srevilak> We had a nice turnout for Sunday's cryptotable
21:16 < srevilak> Good conversation about technology and social justice,
        and quite a few key signings
21:17 < srevilak> I gave a lightning talk on Saturday, to pitch running
        for office.
21:18 < srevilak> Also had an interesting conversation with a DoD lawyer
        about software procurement in the government sector
21:18 < srevilak> (out)
21:18 < jokeefe> oh?
21:19 < srevilak> Yeah.  DoD tries to promote the idea of buying
        off the shelf.  In reality, any big project they do has a ton of
        customization work, and DoD may or may not wind up owning the rights to
        those customizations
21:19 < srevilak> but the idea of free software is starting to take hold
        in DoD
21:19 < jokeefe> cool
21:19 < srevilak> http://code.mil/
21:19 < papegaai> Title: code.mil (at code.mil)
21:20 < srevilak> To me, that's encouraging
21:21 < srevilak> Conversation started because i was curious about the
        demarcation between completely off the shelf, and completely custom
        built projects
21:22 < jokeefe> Interesting
21:22 < jokeefe> the Monday cryptoparty had a good turn out of teachers
        and a good discussion.  The Friday one should be even better.
21:23 < srevilak> Great
21:23 < jokeefe> Any Decisions/Endorsements?
21:23 < srevilak> I think piratecon speakers might be the big decision
21:23 < jokeefe> Projects - Conference
21:23 < jokeefe> https://masspirates.org/wiki/PirateCon_2017_Topics
21:23 < papegaai> Title: PirateCon 2017 Topics - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:24 < srevilak> One point of information.  The person who submitted
        "The need for the voice of the people; The need for democracy" is thinking
        about running for mayor in Lowell, as a pirate
21:25 < jokeefe> thanks for that update
21:26 < jokeefe> I updated the topics page
21:27 < WilliamOfHunts> Chris Foran - Roxbury
21:27 < jokeefe> ahoy
21:28 < jokeefe> We are reviewing the PirateCon talk proposals -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/PirateCon_2017_Topics
21:28 < papegaai> Title: PirateCon 2017 Topics - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:29 < jokeefe> The general schedule layout is
        https://masspirates.org/blog/conference/#schedule
21:29 < papegaai> Title: PirateCon 2017 | Massachusetts Pirate Party
        (at masspirates.org)
21:30 < srevilak> (minor edit.  Alex Marthews was an additional speaker,
        rather than a topic)
21:30 < srevilak> Although, I suppose alex would be a good topic of
        conversation :)
21:30 < jokeefe> agreed
21:31 < srevilak> For the sake of narrowing this down, I wouldn't mind
        opening with Running for office and closing with Breakout groups
21:32 < WilliamOfHunts> Ranked Choice Voting =?= automatic runoff election
21:32 < srevilak> WilliamOfHunts: that's one way to do it
21:32 < WilliamOfHunts> Ya, we need that.
21:33 < srevilak> The proposer is one of the people behind
        http://www.voterchoicema.org/
21:33 < papegaai> Title: Voter Choice MA (at www.voterchoicema.org)
21:33 < jokeefe> So grouped this way, we have seven, but only space
        for six
21:34 < jokeefe> We could merge the Organizing and Running for office
        talks
21:35 < srevilak> I was actually thinking Ranked choice voting + running
        for office
21:35 < srevilak> motivated by recollection that RCV was one of Aaron's
        main platforms
21:35 < srevilak> wdyt?
21:36 < jokeefe> could
21:38 < srevilak> If we moved RCV to the opening panel and Piracy on
        Internet to lightning talk, I think we'd have an equal # of spots and
        panels, no?
21:39 < srevilak> who was proposed speaker for FOIA nuts and bolts?
21:39 < jokeefe> I already put RCV and Piracy into lightning talks
21:39 < jokeefe> Maya and JPat of Muckrock
21:39 < srevilak> ok
21:39  * srevilak refreshes browser
21:40 < jokeefe> We still have seven topics
21:40 < srevilak> I was going to say, I kept counting seven
21:41 < srevilak> How about this - move FOIA to fake news
21:41 < srevilak> because primary source documents are the antithesis
        to fake news
21:41 < jokeefe> I think FOIA needs its own time since it is more of a
        how to
21:42 < srevilak> Then we still have seven
21:44 < jokeefe> I think the Running for Office / Organizing are close
        enough to merge.
21:44 < srevilak> Another alternative: cut lightning talks from 90 ->
60 minutes
21:44 < srevilak> make the remaining sections 45 minutes each
21:44 < srevilak> that gives us enough room to accomodate 8
21:44 < jokeefe> Could
21:46 < srevilak> Although, would like to give > 45 min for breakout
        sessions, so we can (hopefully) come up with a few pieces of policy
21:47 < srevilak> At this point, is it safe to say we can accept all of
        the talk proposals, in one form or another?
21:48 < srevilak> If so, I can get in touch with the proposers, and see
        if they have any scheduling constraints
21:48 < jokeefe> I put a draft schedule up at the page
21:49 < jokeefe> 45min with 1hr for lunch and lightning talks gives us
8 45 minute sections
21:50 < srevilak> Sounds good to me
21:52 < jokeefe> Could do 45 min with 5 min break and have 7 45 minute
        sections
21:52 < srevilak> jokeefe: I think that's a better idea.
21:53 < srevilak> Plus, gives time for changeover
21:53 < jokeefe> ok, lets go with it
21:53 < srevilak> excellend
21:53 < srevilak> excellent
21:53 < srevilak> I will write to speakers tomorrow night, and ask about
        scheduling constraints
21:53 < jokeefe> we can modify if anyone cancels or we need to change
        things further
21:53 < srevilak> agreed
21:53 < jokeefe> we can move RCV into the Campaigning section
21:54 < jokeefe> then
21:54 < srevilak> sounds good
21:55 < jokeefe> Will email and see who can contact speakers
21:55 < srevilak> jokeefe: I already volunteered to contact speakers :)
21:55 < jokeefe> thanks
21:56 < jokeefe> Will ask Aaron about Running for office people
21:56 < srevilak> ok
21:58 < jokeefe> shall we adjourn?
21:58 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
21:58 < jokeefe> 2nd
21:58 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:58 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:58 < srevilak> aye
21:59 < jokeefe> thanks
21:59  * srevilak adds to do.  Should have a code of conduct for the
        conference
22:00 < jokeefe> agreed