March 29th, 2022 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

PPI Application

Decisions/Endorsements

Platform

Planks: https://github.com/masspirates/planks

What we are working on now:

Projects

Outreach

Leader: Malt

What topics should we discuss Saturday?

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Pirate news recording scheduled for Sundays, 7pm with go-live at 7:30pm. Unless changed

Other To Do

  • Application to PPI

Upcoming Events

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • yari (Rose Klein, state of California)
  • Joe (Joseph Onoroski, Lowell)

Observers

  • davidd_
  • hvxgr
  • slerman

Summary

PPI Application

Platform

Pirate Moot

  • Next one on April 23rd, noon.

Pirate News

Minutes

 
21:05 <~jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/March_29th,_2022_IRC_Meeting
21:05 <~jokeefe> Please id
21:05 <~jokeefe> If you have any changes, please suggest them
21:05 < Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:05 < Joe> PPI
21:05 < Joe> Application
21:06 < yari> Rose Klein, state of California
21:06 <~jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:06 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:07 <~jokeefe> Review
21:07 <~jokeefe> PPI Application
21:07 <~jokeefe> I have not submitted it. Been a long time coming.
21:07 <~jokeefe> Is there anyone who could take it on and get it done?
21:08 < Joe> I will be happy to do it for us
21:08 < Joe> Yari had some questions about it if we may
21:08 <~jokeefe> Thanks, Joe. I would appreciate it.
21:08 <~jokeefe> What are your questions yari?
21:08 < Joe> We both had one question that we were hoping you could answer
21:09 <~jokeefe> ok
21:09 < yari> so there is a question about the political program of the
        organization, and I'm curious if we can use the MAPP wiki positions for
        part of the USPP program, and also I'm curious what the MAPP folks would
        answer for that
21:10 < srevilak> I have no objection to USPP basing position statements
        on things MAPP has published.
21:10 < srevilak> Pirates like sharing :)
21:10 <~jokeefe> Sharing is caring
21:11 < yari> :)
21:11 <~jokeefe> We don’t claim copyright on them, so USPP is welcome
        to use them
21:11 < srevilak> Public Domain, No Rights Reserved!
21:11 < Joe> Would linking the wiki count as the program for the
        application or do we need to add platform items as well?
21:12 < yari> Joe I'm not sure, the PPI requirements were unclear on that
21:12 < yari>
        https://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=Membership_application
21:12 <~jokeefe> I would think that USPP would need to adopt them and
        add them to its own sites.
21:13 < yari> Specifically, I'm suggesting that the PPI requirements were
        unclear as to what form they would like the program to be submitted in
21:14 < yari> i.e., a link to a website? only those positions that have
        been adopted? a white paper?
21:14 < Joe2go> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell, walking dogs
21:15 <~jokeefe> uspp has a platform - https://uspirates.org/platform/
21:15 <~jokeefe> use that for the program
21:16 < yari> sure. I don't want to make this about USPP stuff. You all
        have your own meeting!
21:16 < Joe2go> This will help us copy paste our own application so it
        helps me too. ^.^
21:16 < yari> fair.
21:17 <~jokeefe> all questions answered then?
21:17 < yari> on my part, yes. of course. Just want to make sure MAPP
        is supported in also submitting the application
21:17 < Joe2go> For me, very much so.
21:17 <~jokeefe> thanks
21:18 <~jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements
21:18 <~jokeefe> Platform
21:18 <~jokeefe> I worked on
        https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/MAPPCryptoNFT before the
        meeting. What do you think?
21:19 <~jokeefe> I don’t know what to use for the title, though
21:22 < yari> I like it, for what it's worth
21:22 < srevilak> As constructive feedback, I like the focus on
        decentralized tech.  May be worthwhile to devote more words to what we
        support than what we oppose
21:23 <~jokeefe> good point, srevilak
21:23 < Joe2go> Ending destructive copyright trolls
21:24 < srevilak> Blockchain isn't necessarily a bad thing -- it's a
        distributed secure ledger.  It's the brute force hashing (i.e., mining)
        that uses up all of the electricity
21:24 < yari> ^
21:25 <~jokeefe> Agreed, or lots of disk drives.
21:25 < srevilak> But for distributed tech, the focus can be on autonomy,
        resilience, protocols over products, have the ability to tinker with an
        API build things innovate
21:26 < srevilak> Data autonomy.  That's what I forgot
21:27 < srevilak> Data sovereignty.  That's what I forgot
21:27 < srevilak> (Last nights redevelopment board meeting ran really
        late.  Thinking slightly crooked tonight)
21:29 < Joe2go> I was in the hospital for my 4 year old so I am also a
        bit burnt as well.
21:29 < srevilak> Speaking of digital currencies, this might be a topic
        for Sun: https://www.theregister.com/2022/03/28/us_digital_dollar/
21:29 <~jokeefe> no worries. I pasted your suggestions in. We can work
        on it further. I like the change to what we are for.
21:29 < srevilak> From a tech perspective, I'm not exactly sure how
        that's going to work
21:30 < yari> huh
21:30 < yari> thank you for the link
21:31 < Joe2go> Yari, I think Steve means for pirate news
21:31 <~jokeefe> The Fed already has e-cash, but it is only available
        to banks and the rich
21:32 < yari> sure, but a good read anyway
21:33 <~jokeefe> Curious to see how they would make it private.
21:34 <~jokeefe>
        https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/MAPPCompetitionPlank still needs
        more work
21:34 <~jokeefe> Shall we move on to Projects?
21:34 < srevilak> Maybe something like a charlie card.  Tap on reader
        to transfer funds to someone else's smartcard?
21:35 < Joe2go> Ach is the way to go
21:36 <~jokeefe> Isn’t the charlie card an id. I don’t think it keeps
        the info on the card, but relies on back end servers to keep the records.
21:37 < yari> going to drop out. Thank you all for the thoughts.
21:37 <~jokeefe> good night!
21:37 < Joe2go> Gn
21:39 <~jokeefe> Outreach
21:40 <~jokeefe> pirate moot will be 4/23.
21:40 <~jokeefe> Video Newsletter/Podcast - digital dollar discussion?
21:40 < Joe2go> Pirate moot at noon again?
21:41 <~jokeefe> noon still good?
21:41 < srevilak> Aye to both
21:42 <~jokeefe> Joe2go?
21:43 < Joe2go> Aye
21:44 <~jokeefe> No word on when the Free the Vaccine Protest will be
21:46 <~jokeefe> Not sure we have time to organize an EARN IT Act Protest
21:48 <~jokeefe> If there is nothing else, shall we adjourn?
21:49 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
21:49 < srevilak> will post transcript