March 5th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  1. Mar. 4, Will's talks about MeshNets

Decisions

  1. Endorse Move to Amends' call for the MA legislature to request an article V constitutional convention, to declare that corporations are not people, and money is not speech. They're looking for organizations to endorse their efforts.
  2. Event Planning
    1. Mar. 15, Boston Peace Parade
    2. Mar. 18, SCATV Pirate Show, 7pm
    3. Mar. 22, 2p - 4pm Cryptoparty, Worcester
    4. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade
    5. Sep. 19 & 20, Freedom Rally - Can register now
      1. Payment method?
      2. who's serving as point of contact?
  3. PirateCon 2015
    1. Program updates?

Defer to next meeting?

  1. Restore the 4th Bills - Jamie hasn't posted blog post about them. Will this weekend.
    1. SD1546 Mandates Police Bodycams, protects data - Summary, Bill text
    2. HD430, Reining in Militarization in Massachusetts - Summary & Bill text


Events Summary

  1. Mar. 15, Boston Peace Parade
  2. Mar. 18, SCATV Pirate Show, 7pm
  3. Mar. 22, Cryptoparty, Worcester
  4. Apr. 25, PirateCon 2015
  5. May 6, International Day against DRM
  6. May, Together Boston Cryptoparty?
  7. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade
  8. Jun. event?
  9. Jul. event?
  10. Aug. event?
  11. Sep., Freedom Rally
  12. Oct. event?
  13. Nov. event?
  14. Dec. event?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • Bluestreak__ (Lucia Fiero)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)

Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal
  • srevilak

Summary

Decide to endorse MTA's call for an article V constitution convention. We'll endorse, and can urge pirates to contact their legislators.

Peace parade is currently up in the year. Too much snow in South Boston for a parade. Seems like the organizers are considering alternate routes.

We're do for a phone banking. srevilak will work on importing contacts into civicrm.

SCATV Pirate Show. Next show (likely) on "The Right to Protest".

Worcester cryptoparty. Try to organize speakers for phone security, GnuPG, Jitsi. Worcester Linux Users group offered to help us promote the event.

Minutes

 
21:03 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/March_5th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:03 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:04 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:04 < Bluestreak__> Lucia Fiero
21:05 < jokeefe>  Review - Will's talks about MeshNets - how did it go?
21:05 < srevilak> wasn't able to make it
21:05 < srevilak> :(
21:05 < jokeefe> dang
21:06 < Bluestreak__> This winter has everybody down
21:06 < jokeefe> well perhaps igel will sign on later
21:06 < Bluestreak__> Tried to get to symphony Friday… nightmare...
21:06 < jokeefe> at least the snows didn’t start in Dec ;-)
21:06 < Bluestreak__> Will be staying out of the greater Boston area
21:06 < jokeefe> really depressing
21:06 < Bluestreak__> #firstworldproblems
21:06 < Bluestreak__> #thatslife
21:06 < jokeefe> Somerville is clearing snow, thankfully.
21:07 < jokeefe> bit by bit
21:07 < jokeefe> Decisions
21:07 < jokeefe> srevilak proposed Endorsing Move to Amends' call for
        the MA legislature to request an article V constitutional convention, to
        declare that corporations are not people, and money is not speech. They're
        looking for organizations to endorse their efforts.
21:07 < jokeefe> would you speak on it, srevilak?
21:08 < srevilak> jokeefe: that's a good summary.  As I understand,
        they've got a proposed bill, and 62 sponsors and co-sponsors.
21:08 < srevilak> They're trying to collaborate with other organizations,
        to help spread awareness, and build support
21:08 < srevilak> endorse could mean 1 of 3 things
21:09 < srevilak> 1. We support you, can't do more at this time
21:09 < srevilak> 2. We support you, and we'll tell our group/members
        about it
21:09 < srevilak> 3. we'll actively work with you in the campaign
21:09 < srevilak> don't think we have the bandwidth for 3
21:09 < srevilak> but like have bandwidth for 1, 2
21:10 < jokeefe> 1 & 2 are easy.
21:10 < srevilak> Plus, endorsement could help get our name out there
21:11 < jokeefe> guess my concern with 2 is that we lend our name to it,
        tell others about it and then they go help move to amend, rather than
        be part of our effort to help with it.
21:11 < srevilak> With 2, I think that getting people to call legislators
        in the main goal
21:12 < jokeefe> so 3 would be preferable provided we are activating
        people to help us help them
21:12 < srevilak> Reviewing documents from
        https://lists.mayfirst.org/mailman/private/activists_masspirates.org/2015-March/002896.html
21:12 < jokeefe> for 2, we would need to get civi working right to
        support that.
21:13 < srevilak> civi is one option.  Blog posts, social media are
        another option
21:13 < srevilak> (i.e., "call your legislator, ask them to support this
        bill ..."
21:14 < jokeefe> fair enough
21:14 < srevilak> Option 3 is "Active Coalition Member Organization: We
        apply to be an active member organization of the We the People Coalition
        of Massachusetts. We want to actively support the “We the People Act,”
        through membership activation, and staff or leadership involvement. We
        are willing to participate in monthly coalition meetings or calls."
21:14 < Bluelustreak> What I miss?
21:14 < srevilak> discussion tiers of involvement for MTA endorsement
21:15 < srevilak> Option 1 is: Legislation Endorsing Organization:
        We endorse the “We the People Act” and wish to be listed as an
        organizational endorser on promotional materials for the legislation. We
        cannot offer more support at this time.
21:15 < jokeefe> don’t have the bandwidth for 3, but we can ask people
        to step up and help coordinate
21:15 < jokeefe> might move us to 3
21:15 < srevilak> option 2: Legislation Supporting Organization: We
        endorse the “We the People Act”, and want to be listed as such. We can
        reach out to our members to ask them to contact their state legislators
        to voice support, at selected times of our choosing. We want to be
        informed periodically of the progress of the legislation and when our
        help is needed.
21:16 < jokeefe> deciding which to do.
21:17 < jokeefe> Bluelustreak, which level of support seems right to you?
21:17 < Bluelustreak> Honestly?
21:17 < Bluelustreak> I can't follow you two.
21:17 < jokeefe> what confuses you?
21:18 < Bluelustreak> MTA?
21:18 < srevilak> MTA = move to amend
21:18 < jokeefe> yes
21:18 < Bluelustreak> Say what you propose in less formal language and
        I will give you my thoughts
21:19 < jokeefe> 1. We support you, can't do more at this time
21:19 < jokeefe> 2. We support you, and we'll tell our group/members
        about it
21:19 < jokeefe> 3. we'll actively work with you in the campaign,
        including attending meetings
21:19 < Bluelustreak> 2
21:20 < jokeefe> I am fine with 2, agreed, srevilak?
21:20 < Bluelustreak> Don't realistically have time for more meetings
21:20 < Bluelustreak> Will defer to y'all but
21:20 < Bluelustreak> will not attend meetings
21:21 < srevilak> I like #2
21:21 < srevilak> at least for starters
21:21 < jokeefe> ok, 2 it is.  srevilak, would you write a blog post on
        it, also asking if Pirates want to help more, esp. if they are already
        involved?
21:22 < srevilak> sure, can do blog post
21:22 < srevilak> I'll also write to MTA and let them know
21:22 < jokeefe> thank you.
21:23 < jokeefe> Event Planning
21:23 < jokeefe> Boston Peace Parade - did we ever tell them we were
        planning to show up?
21:23 < Bluelustreak> So many problems
21:24 < Bluelustreak> Has Daniel been in touch with you?
21:24 < jokeefe> yes
21:24 < jokeefe> there was a meeting recently
21:24 < jokeefe> heard the route changed on the news
21:24 < srevilak> jokeefe: yes, I told VFP we'd be showing up
21:24 < jokeefe> thank you
21:25 < Bluelustreak> Not able to commit at this time. Sorry.
21:25 < jokeefe> no worries
21:26 < Bluelustreak> :-)
21:26 < jokeefe> anyone up for calls to Bostonian Pirates next week?
21:26 < srevilak> jokeefe: any day in particular?
21:27 < jokeefe> no
21:27 < jokeefe> ahoy noe
21:27 < jokeefe> talking about Peace Parade - and calling people
21:27 < jokeefe> to turn out
21:27 < noe> ahoyahoy
21:28 < srevilak> jokeefe: how would you feel about putting phone list
        into civi, and doing phone banking out of there?
21:28 < jokeefe> sure
21:29 < srevilak> when you have a moment, look at contacts tagged as
        `volunteers'
21:29 < jokeefe> Can you log in and export, or should I export, or should
        we meet?
21:29 < jokeefe> ok
21:29 < srevilak> for the contacts tagged as volunteer, check out
        `activites' tab
21:29 < srevilak> I can export from mailchimp.
21:30 < srevilak> But remind me which list to use :)
21:30 < jokeefe> Everyone
21:30 < jokeefe> they are tagged by email, supporter, volunteer, etc.
21:31 < srevilak> ok. Can work on it this weekend
21:31 < jokeefe> thank you
21:31 < jokeefe> anyone able to make calls this weekend/next week?
21:31 < Bluelustreak> Pax East
21:32 < Bluelustreak> So not this w/e
21:32 < jokeefe> ok
21:33 < noe> i'll probably be writing a script for march 18 panel
21:33 < noe> may have time next week, but not this weekend
21:33 < jokeefe> understood
21:33 < jokeefe> quite understand
21:33 < srevilak> I can do imports this weekend.  Not sure if I can get
        to calling, though
21:34 < jokeefe> no worries
21:34 < jokeefe> got some reading to do for Civi
21:34 < noe> me too, doesn't look complicated, but will be a task
21:35 < jokeefe> I’ll put up another blog post reminder that we want
        people and send out an email
21:35 < jokeefe> focused on that & other Mar. events
21:35 < jokeefe> Any update on the SCATV Pirate Show?
21:36 < noe> met with producers today
21:36 < noe> i think we're running with "The Right to Protest"
21:36 < noe> I will try to get caught up on the email chain as well as
        call Lucia
21:37 < noe> I need to figure out how many people actually wanted to be
        on the show
21:37 < noe> I think Alex and someone else from Digital 4th?
21:38 < jokeefe> do you remember Bluelustreak?
21:39 < Bluelustreak> Sam Tracy
21:39 < Bluelustreak> Look Frank was a lock but once I dropped out I
        don't know
21:39 < Bluelustreak> Tried to talk to Carl Williams.
21:39 < Bluelustreak> Disaster
21:39 < noe> Thank you for trying!
21:39 < noe> I'll poke Alex, Sam, Frank and Carl
21:40 < Bluelustreak> Carl expressed no interest
21:40 < jokeefe> Dang.  Thanks for trying, Bluelustreak.
21:40 < Bluelustreak> Was belligerent in fact
21:41 < Bluelustreak> Whatever
21:41 < srevilak> For "THe Right to Protest", Kade might be good person
        to contact
21:41 < srevilak> (Kade, from ACLU.  @onekade)
21:41 < jokeefe> true
21:41 < noe> Thank you!
21:41 < noe> If anyone wants to forwrad me emails and contact info,
        feel free!
21:41 < noe> The more the merrier, its better to have tons of peopoele
        to pick from
21:42 < noe> [ep[e[;e
21:42 < noe> people
21:42 < noe> (sorry, my keyboard is  acting up)
21:43 < srevilak> noe: sent you contact info
21:43 < noe> thank you!
21:44 < Bluelustreak> Point:
21:44 < jokeefe> yes
21:44 < Bluelustreak> We have no people of African descent represented
21:44 < Bluelustreak> Not for a lock of trying on my part
21:45 < jokeefe> thank you for pointing that out.
21:45 < noe> I can ask around SCATV
21:45 < noe> I think Henry Parker might be up for doing it
21:45 < jokeefe> thank you, noe
21:46 < noe> he organized the public panel on police in our community
21:46 < Bluelustreak> Would like someone from BLM
21:46 < noe> me too
21:46 < noe> I volunteered as a camera operator tonight
21:46 < Bluelustreak> but according to Carl the 93 blockade was not a
        BLM action
21:46 < Bluelustreak> #seriously
21:46 < noe> at a panel that people wanted to title Our Lives Matter
21:47 < noe> The organizers experienced some flack from BM
21:47 < noe> BLM, sorry
21:47 < srevilak> noe: sounds interesting
21:47 < srevilak> you're turning into a regular tv techie :)
21:47 < Bluelustreak> #whycantwealljustgetalong
21:47 < noe> I am more pleased to have someone to represent the generl
        Black community in Somerville
21:48 < jokeefe> I am sure it will go well
21:48 < Bluelustreak> I asked Carl's group how a white folks could help
        with their actions since
21:48 < Bluelustreak> they didn't want them showing up
21:48 < Bluelustreak> I was told to send money
21:48 < noe> hmm
21:48 < noe> I don't like that.
21:48 < Bluelustreak> them=us
21:49 < Bluelustreak> He was horrible to me. And hung up
21:49 < noe> I'm sorry you experienced that
21:49 < Bluelustreak> I wrote to him and *apologized*
21:49 < Bluelustreak> just to make nice
21:50 < Bluelustreak> I understand his annoyance with a person he sees
        as a member of the oppressors
21:50 < jokeefe> thank you for making the effort.
21:50 < Bluelustreak> But I want to see change ALMOST as much as he does
21:50 < Bluelustreak> Whatever
21:51 < noe> I'm with you on that, Lucia
21:51 < Bluelustreak> Same shit different month
21:51 < noe> I don't want to be dismissive of BLM, but a panel member
        bput it best tonight
21:51 < noe> "When we start aggrandizing ourselves, and creating our
        own institutions, sometimes we end up exactly as we were, with nothing
        changed"
21:52 < noe> "We should focus on accomplishing things with a large
        enough groundswell"
21:52 < noe> Focus less on building a movement and a brand, and more on
        getting stuff done
21:52 < jokeefe> all for one and one for all
21:53 < srevilak> Since we're getting close to time, would live to move
        on to Worcester Cryptoparty
21:53 < noe> secon!
21:53 < srevilak> if that's okay with everyone else
21:53 < noe> of course, please do
21:53 < srevilak> Talked to president of worcester linux users group
21:53 < jokeefe> Moving on to Cryptoparty, Worcester
21:53 < srevilak> He seemed excited about cryptoparty, and offered to
        help promote it
21:54 < jokeefe> great!
21:54 < noe> hooray!
21:54 < jokeefe> thank you
21:54 < srevilak> Asked me to send him info on the event, so he could
        announce
21:54 < srevilak> thus, need topics
21:54 < srevilak> With 4 hours, thinking 3 presentations?
21:55 < jokeefe> Mark A suggested talking about how to protect yourself
        on your phone
21:55 < jokeefe> Been reluctant to talk up Signal/Redphone, but apparently
        it is open source now
21:55 < srevilak> that would be good.  Let me ask someone
21:56 < Bluelustreak> Meant to check my phone btw
21:56 < srevilak> (a friend who knows a bit about phone security)
21:56 < Bluelustreak> Android/masspirates.org
21:56 < Bluelustreak> Trying to get ready for a con tomorrow oops
21:56 < srevilak> so, tentatively phone encryption, GnuPG, and Tor
21:56 < srevilak> with option for key signing
21:56 < srevilak> ?
21:56 < noe> sounds good to me
21:57 < noe> hopefully, i can come with a camera
21:57 < noe> (April's show!)
21:57 < srevilak> noe: that would be great
21:57 < jokeefe> Jitsi?
21:57 < noe> (as long as there are no more blizzards
21:57 < jokeefe> Seem to be a lot of GnuPG/Tor, though that is important.
21:58 < srevilak> Okay: phones, GnuPG, jitsi + key signing
21:58 < jokeefe> Sounds good.
21:58 < srevilak> Fellow from Worcester linux group seemed interested
        in GnuPG
21:58 < srevilak> will work on it
21:58 < jokeefe> Source is only available for RedPhone/Textsecure
21:59 < srevilak> will Try to line up speakers this weekend, and get
        announcement copy ready
21:59 < jokeefe> thank you.
21:59 < jokeefe> lot this weekend.
21:59 < jokeefe> we are at time.
21:59 < jokeefe> motion to adjourn?
21:59 < noe> so moved
22:00 < jokeefe> 2nd?
22:00 < srevilak> aye
22:00 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:00 < noe> aye
22:00 < jokeefe> aye
22:00 < srevilak> can post notes
22:00 < jokeefe> thank you
22:01 < Bluelustreak> aye
22:01 < jokeefe> motion passes, thank you all. have a wonderful night!