March 6th, 2012 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


1. March 10th Conference Status

2. May 12th Film Festival, conference price?

3. Signed up for Boston Pride. Need to pay for insurance and get as many people to march as we can

4. Anything else others want to bring up.

Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:


  • bsod -
  • K`Tetch - observer
  • illunatic -
  • jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville
  • SplendidSpoon - Lauren Pespisa, Boxboro/Cambridge
  • erixoltan - Erik Zoltan, Framingham
  • qkslvrwolf - Sean Abbott, Arlington/Needham (work)


1. Conference Status

    o Poster done, folks distributing
    o Mailed all of our voters who aren't already in the know
    o SplendidSpoon will contact Quinn Norton of Wired?
    o Ars Technica and Torrentfreak posted articles about the conference
    o Have a projector
    o erixoltan will bring a video camera.
    o SplendidSpoon will pick up name tags and a cash box

2. May 12th Film Festival, conference price?

3. Signed up for Boston Pride. Need to pay for insurance and get as many people to march as we can

4. Planned events:

    o March: Conference
    o April:
      o  Get JP on the ballot
      o Extravaganja in April?
    o May 12th: Film Festival
    o June: Boston Pride
    o July
      o  Art Beat
      o Pirate Picnic?
    o August?
    o September: Freedom Rally

Meeting Minutes


[12:01] <jokeefe> Agenda at,_2012_IRC_Meeting [12:01] <jokeefe> holding a few minutes for others to join [12:02] <K`Tetch> lol, you didnn't have to include me [12:02] <K`Tetch> i didn't even know you had a meeting [12:06] == erixoltan [5fd39598@gateway/web/freenode/ip.] has joined #masspirates [12:08] == qkslvrwolf [] has joined #masspirates [12:08] <qkslvrwolf> this thing on? [12:08] <jokeefe> hey! [12:08] <jokeefe> welcome both. [12:08] <jokeefe> lets get started [12:09] <jokeefe> James O'Keefe, Somerville [12:09] <jokeefe> agenda at,_2012_IRC_Meeting [12:09] <SplendidSpoon> Lauren Pespisa, Boxboro/Cambridge [12:09] <qkslvrwolf> Sean Abbott, Arlington/Needham (work) [12:09] <erixoltan> Erik Zoltan, Framingham [12:11] <jokeefe> So 1. Conference Status [12:11] <jokeefe> most of what I have is already in the notes [12:11] <jokeefe> We could use name tags and a cash box [12:12] <jokeefe> Anyone up for picking those up and donating them? [12:13] <SplendidSpoon> Name tags like "hello, my name is." [12:13] <jokeefe> yes [12:13] <K`Tetch> cardboard, tape and safety pins? [12:14] <jokeefe> something more professional than that [12:14] <K`Tetch> 9might be xcheater) [12:14] <K`Tetch> *cheaper [12:14] <SplendidSpoon> Think they are at K-Mart? [12:14] <K`Tetch> the 'hello my name is' ones have always seemed 'cheap' and unprofessional [12:14] <SplendidSpoon> Because if that stuff is at K-Mart I can get i [12:14] <SplendidSpoon> it* [12:15] <jokeefe> It might be there, but office supply places are more likely to have them. [12:15] <SplendidSpoon> ok [12:15] <SplendidSpoon> Like a Staples [12:15] <jokeefe> yes [12:15] <SplendidSpoon> and money-box is like a locked box with a hole in it [12:15] <SplendidSpoon> to put cash in [12:15] <SplendidSpoon> I can get those [12:15] <SplendidSpoon> I live near a staples and a k-mart and have car so it's easy errands [12:16] <jokeefe> doesnt need a hole since people will likely need change. That it can open is good. Thanks for getting those! [12:16] <SplendidSpoon> oh ok [12:16] <SplendidSpoon> I can find some good stuff hopefully no problem [12:17] <SplendidSpoon> I put posters up around coffeeshops in Kendall [12:17] <jokeefe> thanks! [12:17] <SplendidSpoon> so maybe we'll get strangers! [12:17] <jokeefe> hopefully, got over a 100 new views of the conference page from ars & torrentfreak articles [12:18] <SplendidSpoon> Yea [12:18] <jokeefe> I put some up in Somerville. Need to do more [12:18] <jokeefe> colleges [12:18] <SplendidSpoon> I've been talking with the people in telecomix kopimism and pirate chats [12:18] <SplendidSpoon> they are very happy to see us doing this [12:18] <jokeefe> any in MA or NE coming? [12:19] <jokeefe> BTW: the latest flier is the best, so when you put up more, use that one [12:19] <SplendidSpoon> ok [12:19] <SplendidSpoon> Dunno who's coming [12:20] <SplendidSpoon> these are international people in these rooms mostly [12:20] <SplendidSpoon> like, the guy who started kopimism [12:20] <SplendidSpoon> and friends [12:20] <K`Tetch> when i did the flyer for the tf piece, I used what was on the conference page, is thta not the latest? [12:20] <jokeefe> it was until I updated it last night [12:21] <jokeefe> been the flier from heck [12:21] <K`Tetch> oh... [12:21] <K`Tetch> have you got a copy on scribd, so I can change it [12:22] <jokeefe> not on scripd. though I guess I can upload it. latest is at [12:22] <K`Tetch> always put it on scribds, that way you've got an easy way for people to embed it on their own sites [12:28] == bsod [] has joined #masspirates [12:28] == [bsod] [] has quit [Read error: Connection reset by peer] [12:28] <jokeefe> good plan [12:28] <K`Tetch> I killed the meeting :-( [12:28] <jokeefe> I am here [12:29] <SplendidSpoon> ok so what time should I show up to help with conference? [12:29] <SplendidSpoon> I plan to be there to help the WHOLE time [12:29] <jokeefe> 9am? [12:29] <SplendidSpoon> okey dokey [12:29] <SplendidSpoon> also whats parking situation there [12:29] <jokeefe> I plan to be there then to setup. My guess is that it will be slow for the first hour [12:30] <SplendidSpoon> How are you getting there? [12:30] <jokeefe> Harvard Sq. on a Saturday, park at Alewife MBTA and take the Red line to Harvard Sq. [12:30] <jokeefe> I plan to take the MBTA [12:30] <jokeefe> though if I am late, there is expensive parking in the area [12:30] <SplendidSpoon> hmm [12:31] <SplendidSpoon> I have free parking in kendall sq [12:31] <SplendidSpoon> which is sorta close to red line [12:31] <SplendidSpoon> I think I'll just park there [12:31] <jokeefe> that works too [12:31] <jokeefe> Next - 2. May 12th Film Festival - conference price? [12:32] <SplendidSpoon> No idea [12:33] <jokeefe> neither do I [12:33] <jokeefe> perhaps we should just do free [12:33] <jokeefe> then ask for donations [12:33] <erixoltan> sure [12:34] <SplendidSpoon> Cool [12:34] <SplendidSpoon> Hey I dated a guy the other friday night that would have been awesome on our panel :( [12:34] <SplendidSpoon> he is lead producer at harmonix [12:35] <jokeefe> so invite him [12:35] <SplendidSpoon> was telling me about how bands can use free open source software they provide to turn their songs into rock band songs to sell [12:35] <SplendidSpoon> and they keep all rights etc [12:35] <SplendidSpoon> he's going to SXSW [12:35] <jokeefe> ah [12:35] <SplendidSpoon> So he can't :( but he is interested in party so I will try to keep him in loop for anything else [12:35] <SplendidSpoon> I mean, if he even likes me [12:35] <SplendidSpoon> lol [12:36] <jokeefe> great! we could rerun the panel with new folks at the film fest or another date [12:36] <jokeefe> BTW: congrats on the date [12:36] <SplendidSpoon> Dates are easy [12:36] <SplendidSpoon> second dates are the hard ones to get [12:37] <SplendidSpoon> lol [12:37] <jokeefe> good luck! [12:37] <jokeefe> so does free sound good for the film festival? [12:37] <SplendidSpoon> free film festival sounds appealing [12:37] <jokeefe> qkslvrwolf? [12:40] <jokeefe> Free it is then [12:41] <qkslvrwolf> whoops, sorry [12:41] <jokeefe> no problem, too many distractions [12:41] <qkslvrwolf> what was the question? [12:41] <jokeefe> should the film festival be free [12:41] <jokeefe> but ask for donations [12:42] <jokeefe> would be good to advertise at the conference [12:42] <jokeefe> and get movie suggestions [12:42] <qkslvrwolf> yes, I think that's wise. [12:42] <qkslvrwolf> movie suggestions... [12:42] <qkslvrwolf> hmmm... [12:42] <jokeefe> alrighty then [12:42] <qkslvrwolf> I mean, you could do like constant gardener. [12:42] <qkslvrwolf> ... [12:43] <qkslvrwolf> it's tagentially related... [12:43] <jokeefe> open source / public domain? [12:44] <qkslvrwolf> patents [12:44] <qkslvrwolf> specifically, drug [12:44] <qkslvrwolf> and them being bad [12:44] <qkslvrwolf> but it's a stretch [12:44] <erixoltan> ooh interesting [12:44] <qkslvrwolf> We can probably think of something better [12:44] <SplendidSpoon> what about that movie girl talk did? [12:44] <erixoltan> I'll look at constant gardener for my talk. [12:44] <jokeefe> which one? [12:45] <SplendidSpoon> [12:45] <SplendidSpoon> He does awesome mashup music [12:45] <jokeefe> qkslvrwolf, one thing we want to do with the film festival is to show films that are in the public domain or open source [12:46] <SplendidSpoon> another video series about it [12:46] <qkslvrwolf> ohhhh [12:46] <qkslvrwolf> oh oh oh [12:46] <qkslvrwolf> sorry [12:46] <qkslvrwolf> hmm [12:46] <SplendidSpoon> [12:46] <qkslvrwolf> that's even more difficult, have to look that up [12:47] <jokeefe> - saw that. not sure about the viewing rights. - EDUCATIONAL LICENSING PRICE PER DVD: $200.00 [12:47] <SplendidSpoon> holy shit nvm [12:47] <jokeefe> yfias is a possibility [12:48] <jokeefe> we could give away videos on dvd and ask for a contribution or just have a sheet with the urls [12:48] <SplendidSpoon> Yea that's true [12:50] <jokeefe> Just got word of this - [12:50] <erixoltan> Is that OK as non-commercial use, if you give out a DVD and ask for a contribution? [12:50] <SplendidSpoon> oh geez jokeefe [12:50] <jokeefe> don't know, we would need to find out [12:50] <SplendidSpoon> It's sad news :( [12:50] <jokeefe> erixoltan [12:50] <jokeefe> aye, SplendidSpoon [12:50] <SplendidSpoon> I think yfias is a open-source show [12:51] <SplendidSpoon> like, they want people to do whatever they want with it [12:51] <SplendidSpoon> I read something about it on a pirate blog somewhere.... [12:52] <qkslvrwolf> what about the first film that the guys doing iron sky did? [12:52] <qkslvrwolf> Star Wreck, in the Pirkinning [12:52] <qkslvrwolf> They crowdsourced iron sky, so it might be soething [12:52] <erixoltan> hmm [12:53] <qkslvrwolf> it's creative commons [12:53] <qkslvrwolf> [12:53] <jokeefe> well if folks could track some of these possibilities, that would be great [12:54] <SplendidSpoon> I'll keep my eyes open [12:54] <SplendidSpoon> I read a lot of blogs about this sort of thing [12:54] <SplendidSpoon> Well you guys probably do to [12:54] <SplendidSpoon> but you know [12:54] <SplendidSpoon> lol [12:54] <jokeefe> thanks! [12:55] <jokeefe> erixoltan had some ideas too. TED talks and some others. [12:55] <SplendidSpoon> oh yea TED talks are good [12:55] <erixoltan> I found some related to patent and copyright. [12:56] <qkslvrwolf> rsa animate! [12:56] <qkslvrwolf> ooo! so good! [12:56] <jokeefe> want to wrap things up - so Boston Pride is mostly set. need to get insurance for the table. we are scheduled to march so we need lots of people and be as outrageous as we can be ;-) [12:56] <SplendidSpoon> w00t [12:56] <SplendidSpoon> Do I have to go to some meeting or somthing? [12:56] <SplendidSpoon> about that? [12:56] <jokeefe> yes, I need to get you the info. thanks for the reminder [12:56] <SplendidSpoon> yes email me plz thx [12:57] <SplendidSpoon> I need to start figuring out my costume :P [12:57] <SplendidSpoon> Rainbow-Pirate lol [12:57] <K`Tetch> surveilance camera? [12:58] <K`Tetch> or the War OF Terrror? [12:58] <jokeefe> aye [13:01] <jokeefe> i have nothing more to add. shall we adjourn? [13:02] <SplendidSpoon> ok [13:09] <jokeefe> alrighty folks. have a wonderful few days. see some of you on saturday!