May 13th, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Goals for Q3 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Computer donations

Regional Meetings/Events

All meetings on hold due to Covid-19.

Leader: jokeefe

  • Boston (jokeefe)
  • Worcester (Malt)
  • Lowell (Joe)
  • Boston Pride Festival (emailed them that we transferred our table to 2021)
    • table booked
    • setup signup sheet
    • Announce
    • Need to purchase insurance
    • Need volunteer sign up form
    • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed

Bills

No clue where things are now due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Right to Repair

  • out of committee
  • next email will urge supporters to call their state senator/rep. and urge them to support it
  • see if people willing to setup meeting with reps.

Facial Recognition and other bills still in committee.

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Tabled Projects

National Party

Boston Sex Worker Petition

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • Summer 2020, ?, Boston Meetup
  • Summer 2020, ?, Worcester Meetup
  • Summer 2020, ?, Springfield Meetup
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Culture House, Harvard Square
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNe Tech Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 5/?, 2pm-4pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, on-line

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • Joe (Joseph Onoroski, Lowell)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Malt (Sam capradae, Worcester)

Observers

  • davidd
  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy
  • mikey
  • MikaelaSuomalainen

Summary

Patriot act. Jokeefe sent email earlier. Sounds like the positive amendments lost by a vote.

Minutes

 
21:02 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
       https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_13th,_2020_IRC_Meeting
21:02 <@jokeefe> ids
21:02 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:03 <@jokeefe> Anything to add?
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:03 < Malt> Sam capradae, Worcester
21:04 < Joe> Nothing to add
21:06 < Malt> Nope
21:07 <@jokeefe> I sent out an email about the PATRIOT Act renewal and
       posted about it this morning.
21:07 <@jokeefe> Looks like the good amendment lost by 1 vote
21:07 < Malt> Yeah :-/
21:09 < Joe> jokeefe, would you be interesting in drafting a tweet with
       whom voted for it and whom voted to have our security revoked?
21:09 < Joe> or anyone else for that matter, not just jokeefe
21:09 <@jokeefe> Was going to write a post on it for tomorrow.
21:10 < Joe> We should also discuss during this week's podcast
21:10 < Malt> Name and shame
21:10 < Joe> aye
21:11 <@jokeefe> I expect Warren and Markey voted for it
21:11 <@jokeefe> against it
21:11 <@jokeefe> I mean
21:11 <@jokeefe> but for the amendment
21:11 <@jokeefe> will check to be sure
21:12 <@jokeefe> Might find it as a way to plug opposition to the EARN
       IT act.
21:12 <@jokeefe> Speaking of it, what about having a day to ask people
       to call their rep/senator and tell them to oppose it?
21:13 < Malt> That's a smart ramp, seize on the anger
21:13 < Joe> It's been awhile since we did a harass your officials
       campaign
21:14 <@jokeefe> when would be a good day? Is next wednesday too soon,
       assuming we send the email out on Monday?
21:15 <@jokeefe> or a week later giving us more time to build support?
21:15 < Joe> let's make it for Thursday next week so we have time to ramp.
21:15 < Joe> Also less likely that they would be elsewhere since it's
       midweek.
21:17 <@jokeefe> Other thoughts?
21:20 <@jokeefe> next Thursday works for me
21:21 < Malt> Ok
21:22 <@jokeefe> Thursday it is
21:23 <@jokeefe> Computer donations
21:24 < srevilak> We've got one :)
21:24 <@jokeefe> We got another
21:24 < srevilak> nice
21:24 <@jokeefe> I emailed srevilak and the person who signed up.
21:26  * srevilak checks email
21:26 < srevilak> I can coordinate a pickup
21:26 <@jokeefe> Thanks
21:26 <@jokeefe> Will put up another post asking for donations on Friday
21:28 <@jokeefe> srevilak, do you need a new hard disk for the first
       computer?
21:28 < srevilak> Yes, I believe it will.  Haven't tried to power it on
       yet, though
21:29 <@jokeefe> Once you know, tell me and I can get one.
21:29 < srevilak> will do
21:29 <@jokeefe> thanks you
21:29 <@jokeefe> Malt/Joe: do we have destinations for these two
       computers?
21:30 < Joe> We do, The wish project is in need.  They are slated to go
       to help struggling families with education.
21:31 <@jokeefe> how do we want to setup the training?
21:32 < Joe> I will reach out to them tomorrow to see how they want
       them set up.  I believe that windows would probably be best but linx is
       better. <3
21:33 < Joe> I have clear bags we can use and a sharpie to date them so
       they can feel safe taking the donations from us.
21:33 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:34 < Joe> May I suggest we put on the safety measures, such as
       peerblock, duckduckgo and avast on them so that they have some basic
       protections?
21:35 <@jokeefe> I think we have that:
       https://pad.riseup.net/p/RulesForDonations
21:35 < Joe> I forgot about it, thanks
21:37 <@jokeefe> Malt, have you talked with Worcester Mutual Aid?
21:38 < Malt> About the computer drive?
21:38 < Malt> Worc public schools are distributing Chromebooks
21:38 < Malt> I'm sure there are other places which would benefit though
21:39 <@jokeefe> ok
21:40 <@jokeefe> We still good for recording Sunday at 7pm?
21:40 < Malt> I'll be available
21:40 < Malt> Gabe's first mother's day was nice
21:40 < Joe> We are still on.  I have not reached the honorable Pirate
       from Holyoke yet though.
21:40 < srevilak> 7pm is fine for me
21:41 <@jokeefe> nice
21:41 < Joe> I would like to discuss both the last vote, upcoming act
       and current state of the commonwealth
21:41 <@jokeefe> The computer donation effort as well, would be good.
21:41 < Joe> Plus any other current topic that arise from now until then.
21:42 < Malt> Earn it for certain
21:42 < Malt> There was one other thing but I am exhausted
21:43 < Joe> If you remember, please email it to info so we all can
       have it.
21:44 <@jokeefe> will do
21:44 < Joe> I would also like to see if we can have a member from
       another state join us or even one from the international council
21:44 < Malt> That would be nice
21:44 < Joe> Maybe not for this video but one in the near future.
21:45 <@jokeefe> International would be great
21:45 < Joe> Also, I wanted to touch upon the environmental impact of
       everyone staying home.
21:45 < Malt> It's not enough
21:46 < Joe> jokeefe, could you see if K`tetch will join us?
21:46 < Joe> I agree Malt but if we can show a better tread then perhaps
       we can push for a more technological solution to our worlds problems.
21:47 < Joe> Cause we "wicked smaaaat"
21:47 < Malt> Autogillotines
21:47 <@jokeefe> Will see.
21:47 < Joe> that would be hard to get ahead of......
21:48  * Joe hears a distant drum solo of lameness.......
21:49 < Malt> My sleep schedule has been disrupted, I can do anything
21:50 < Joe> jokeefe, have you heard from Desmond recently?
21:50 <@jokeefe> I don’t think so
21:51 <@jokeefe> That is all I have.
21:51 <@jokeefe> Shall we adjourn?
21:51 < Joe> I will reach out to him, I hope he is ok.  I would like to
       see his project revitalized since summer is coming.
21:51 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
21:51 <@jokeefe> 2nd
21:51 <@jokeefe> all in favor?
21:51 < Joe> aye
21:51 < srevilak> aye
21:51 <@jokeefe> aye
21:51 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:52 < Joe> #uspp
21:52 < Malt> Night all
21:52 <@jokeefe> thanks srevilak
21:52 <@jokeefe> night all. talk Sunday
21:52 <@jokeefe> heading there now Joe