May 14th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions

Endorse & Participate in the March against Monsanto?

The March Against Monsanto is a yearly event against corporate control of food. We supported past marches if only over our opposition to bio tech patents & the patenting of life.

This year's event is the 23rd. There is a Facebook event, and website.

Suggest we endorse and turn people out for it.

Goals for 2016

Continuation of our discussion from last meeting. What we have so far:

  • Running at least ten candidates for 2016
  • Mandatory citizens oversight panels on city with high incidents of police brutality
  • Free software in all public schools
  • Run at least a cryptoparty a month (from the past)
  • Stop TPP/TTIP/Section 215 renewal/etc.
  • Help get pro-Pirate issue bills passed in Mass. legislature
  • Hold a 2016 PirateCon and have 100 attendees

Event Planning

  1. Materials - who can coordinate purchase of MAPP flags?
  2. May 17, noon-4pm, Together Boston Cryptoparty, Danger!Awesome, Cambridge - what will we teach?
  3. May 21, Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts, Somerville
  4. May 23, March against Monsanto, Boston
  5. May 29-31, Panels for Left Forum, NYC
  6. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade - Sign up form - blog post written & scheduled
  7. Summer, INEAS org cryptoparty?
  8. July/Aug, Pirate Picnic, Georges Island?
  9. Sep. 19 & 20, Freedom Rally - Sign up form - need blog post by July/Aug

Defer to next meeting

  1. New Materials
  2. Restore the 4th Bills - Jamie hasn't posted blog post about them. Will this weekend.
    1. SD1546 Mandates Police Bodycams, protects data - Summary, Bill text
    2. HD430, Reining in Militarization in Massachusetts - Summary & Bill text

Upcoming Events

  1. May 2, Point to Point Camp cryptoparty
  2. May 6, International Day against DRM
  3. May 17, Together Boston Cryptoparty
  4. May 21, Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts, Somerville
  5. May 29-31, Panels for Left Forum, NYC
  6. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade
  7. Jun. event?
  8. Jul. event?
  9. Aug. event?
  10. Sep. 19 & 20, Freedom Rally
  11. Oct. event?
  12. Nov. event?
  13. Dec. event?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • Techrev
  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • js0000
  • aquaticonions
  • moorejoe
  • JLefty (James Slate)

Observers

  • isd
  • Wiel
  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal
  • zby

Summary

2016 Goals. TPP/TTIP/Section 215 (see above) will likely be a "between now and 2016 goal".

Minutes

 
21:04 < jokeefe> ahoy, sorry for being late
21:04 < srevilak> hi jokeefe
21:05 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_14th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:05 < jokeefe> ids, James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:05 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:05 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:08 < jokeefe> anyone want to add anything to the agenda?
21:08 < srevilak> agenda looks okay to me
21:09 < jokeefe> Decisions
21:10 < jokeefe> Endorse & Participate in the March against Monsanto?
21:10 < srevilak> aye
21:10 < jokeefe> We have in the past.  Monsanto hasn’t gotten any
        better.
21:10 < srevilak> double aye
21:10 < jokeefe> aye
21:10 < Bluestreak> aye
21:10 < jokeefe> who can make it?  I should be able to make it.
21:11 < Bluestreak> I doubt I will have the energy but the spirit
        is willing.
21:11 < srevilak> I should be able to make it
21:11 < srevilak> want to do a civi event?
21:12 < Bluestreak> What do you mean?
21:12 < jokeefe> yes please, srevilak
21:12 < jokeefe> any opposed?
21:12 < srevilak> Bluestreak: RSVP via masspirates.org/crew (civi =
        CiviCRM)
21:12 < jokeefe> sign up form.
21:12 < srevilak> jokeefe: will set up event
21:12 < jokeefe> thank you
21:13 < jokeefe> only have a week unfortunately.
21:13 < Bluestreak> Thanks
21:13 < jokeefe> Next: Goals for 2016
21:13 < jokeefe> there is a list.  any we decided on that we haven’t
        included?
21:14 < srevilak> Will "TPP/TTIP/Section 215 renewal" be a viable issue
        in 2016?
21:14 < srevilak> By then, seems like will have passed, or not
21:15 < jokeefe> in between now and 2016, probably
21:15 < srevilak> ok
21:15 < jokeefe> heh, seems there is some talk of restarting SOPA.
21:16 < jokeefe> ahoy js0000
21:16 < js0000> ahoy!
21:16 < Bluestreak> ahoy John
21:16 < jokeefe> we can generalize to federal issues
21:16 < jokeefe> ahoy aquaticonions
21:16 < aquaticonions> ahoy
21:17  * js0000 will have to find pirate emoji code point
21:17 < jokeefe> lol
21:17 < jokeefe> just looing over Goals for 2016
21:17 < jokeefe> looking
21:17 < jokeefe> looing probably isn’t a good idea
21:18 < aquaticonions> haha indeed
21:19 < jokeefe> any others?
21:20 < jokeefe> start and sustain 30 local chapters
21:20 < srevilak> I think it's a good list
21:21 < jokeefe> other opinions?
21:21 < js0000> very ambitious
21:23 < jokeefe> well a work in progress
21:24 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:25 < aquaticonions> aye
21:25 < moorejoe> ah I'm here
21:25 < js0000> aye
21:25 < Bluestreak> aye
21:25 < moorejoe> finally made one of these things in "time"
21:25  * js0000 as close as i got: ☠
21:26 < jokeefe> ahoy moorejoe
21:26 < srevilak> js0000: what's the code point?
21:26 < moorejoe> ahoy, so what's new?
21:26 < js0000> 2620 skull & crossbones
21:26 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_14th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:26 < jokeefe> on goals for 2016
21:27 < moorejoe> what did you decide for Monsanto?
21:27 < jokeefe> yes, we are going
21:27 < jokeefe> and endorsing
21:28 < moorejoe> cool
21:28 < moorejoe> is this against GMOs in general or Monsanto in
        particular
21:28 < moorejoe> because I'm generally in favor of GMOs
21:28 < jokeefe> we don’t like patenting life
21:28 < srevilak> moorejoe: mostly against Monsanto in particular
21:29 < srevilak> (that's my understanding, at least)
21:29 < moorejoe> exactly, I see it as a way to help feed a growing
        population, but life patents are what bother me most
21:30 < srevilak> not to mention monsanto's abuse of corporate personhood
21:30 < moorejoe> that and suing farmers if they reuse seed, and their
        monopolistic practices
21:30 < srevilak> yup
21:30 < moorejoe> what are the abuses of personhood?
21:31 < srevilak> using 'freedom of speech' to prevent VT farmers from
        putting "no gmo" labels on milk
21:31 < Jlefty> sorry  I'm late yall. James Slate signing in
21:31 < Bluestreak> ahoy Jamie
21:31 < jokeefe> ahoy Jlefty
21:31 < jokeefe> finishing up goals for 2016
21:32 < srevilak> https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_14th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:32 < jokeefe> beat me to it
21:32 < jokeefe> any additions/subtractions/objections?
21:33 < Jlefty> I like it. No additions come to mind
21:34 < aquaticonions> Reusing seed isn't the issue people say it
        is. Very few farmers have used second-generation seed in a long time,
        GMO or not. It's just not as good as directly from the company that
        breeds plants for seed.
21:34 < moorejoe> looks goot to me
21:34 < jokeefe> ok six for, none seemingly against, so passes.
21:35 < jokeefe> Event Planning
21:35 < jokeefe> Materials - who can coordinate purchase of MAPP flags?
21:35 < jokeefe> Bluestreak, did you say you could or did I imagine that?
21:36 < Bluestreak> I said ppl can use the ones we already have
21:36 < Bluestreak> from last year.
21:36 < moorejoe> good*
21:36 < jokeefe> thanks for clarifying
21:39 < Bluestreak> Someone would have to swing by and get them if I am
        not able to get out eat.
21:39 < Bluestreak> east
21:39 < Bluestreak> We will see how I feel in a couple of weeks.
21:39 < Jlefty> I can get the flags, just tell me where I'm going. I'm
        gonna be driving into Boston on sat morning
21:40 < srevilak> Jlefty: we'll be staging somewhere in vicinty of
        copley sq
21:40 < jokeefe> task would be calling up places and getting price
        quotes based on design.  maybe making design or getting someone to do it.
        have people we could ask.
21:40 < srevilak> won't find out exact place until 1-2 days before parade
21:41 < srevilak> Jlefty: oops, disregard prior comment.  Sorry
21:41 < srevilak> jokeefe: to we have pdf or svg of MAPP logo?
21:41 < srevilak> jokeefe: do we have pdf or svg of MAPP logo?
21:42 < jokeefe> svg is up at https://masspirates.org/blog/press
21:42 < jokeefe> need to update our images
21:43 < srevilak> jokeefe: ok, thx
21:44 < moorejoe> did the logo change
21:44 < Jlefty> Is somebody on the hook for finding flags? If not I'll
        take care of it
21:45 < srevilak> Jlefty: if you can find, we'd deeply appreciate
21:45 < srevilak> moorejoe: no change to logo
21:45 < jokeefe> cafepress sells underwear with designs on it.  not sure a
        MAPP logo would be good, but sitting on an NSA logo might be a big seller
21:46 < js0000> jokeefe: lol
21:46 < jokeefe> thanks Jlefty
21:46 < moorejoe> :)
21:46 < aquaticonions> yes please
21:46 < Jlefty> and what size dimensions are we talking for these flags?
21:46 < Bluestreak> I would wear Pirates on my panties.
21:47 < jokeefe> 3’x5’ seems a good size
21:47 < Jlefty> and how many are we talking?
21:47 < jokeefe> germans do 1m x 1.5m and 2m x 3m
21:48 < jokeefe> get price quotes for different size runs.  ten would
        be good minimum
21:49 < Jlefty> Cool! I'll get looking for graphic design  websites. There
        seems to be a bunch these days that print custom orders.
21:50 < jokeefe> they should have gromets on one side
21:51 < Jlefty> Okay, cool.
21:51 < jokeefe> I believe we have the two upcoming cryptoparties covered.
        srevilak, the two of us on Sunday?
21:51 < srevilak> will be there on Sunday.  Kenda will try to be, if
        she can get off from work
21:52 < js0000> i know i talked about rapsberry pi tor box
21:52 < js0000> i have not been able to get it to work
21:52 < js0000> so i cannot talk about it
21:52 < js0000> but i will keep trying
21:53 < moorejoe> that sounds pretty neat
21:53 < js0000> yes it's portal of pi at github
21:54 < moorejoe> have you used the beaglebone black, it's a bit faster
        than the pi
21:54 < jokeefe> someone asked about mobile apps.  bittorrent put out
        bleep - http://www.bleep.pm/ which looks neat.  might test it with
        tcpdump and see what we can see
21:54 < Jlefty> i'll be at our sunday cryptoparty
21:54 < moorejoe> for about $60
21:54 < Bluestreak> John you should attend whether you set it working
        or not, I think
21:54 < js0000> mobile apps are a definite need
21:54 < Bluestreak> get
21:55 < js0000> ok- i have my son, but i'll see what i can do
21:55 < js0000> it's good to learn crypto no matter the interest ...
21:55 < jokeefe> greeat
21:56 < moorejoe> is this an online thing or more irl
21:56 < jokeefe> irl
21:57 < moorejoe> darn
21:57 < js0000> real life ain't *that* bad ...
21:57 < moorejoe> maybe I'll get to one around here
21:57 < jokeefe> BTW: put up a bunch of posts of late.  TPP/USA Freedom
        Act/cryptoparty
21:57 < jokeefe> Pride post scheduled
21:57 < jokeefe> others are welcome to post of course.
21:58  * srevilak has a couple of FOIA posts to catch up on
21:58 < jokeefe> good
21:58 < jokeefe> Looks like Senate will approve FastTrack
21:58 < jokeefe> so I hear
21:58 < js0000> wall st owns up
21:59 < js0000> er owns US
21:59 < jokeefe> BTW - one of our Left Forum talks is Session 7 on Sun
03:40pm - 05:40pm in Room 1.119
21:59  * js0000 apologizes to dr. freud
21:59 < jokeefe> aye, js0000 since well before 2008
21:59 < moorejoe> I thought it had stalled
21:59 < js0000> false!
22:00 < jokeefe>
        https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150514/14484631002/fast-track-bill-back-fast-track-after-senate-deal.shtml
22:00 < moorejoe> oh dang, this is a recent thing
22:00 < js0000> once again
22:01 < jokeefe> sadly, some of the Dems caved to minimal concessions
22:01 < js0000> i'm turning into pumpkin now
22:01 < jokeefe> yes we are at time.
22:01 < jokeefe> motion to adjourn?
22:01 < Bluestreak> 2nd
22:01 < srevilak> aye
22:01 < moorejoe> I need to go, now, tty all next week
22:01 < jokeefe> all in favor
22:01 < aquaticonions> second
22:01 < Jlefty> second: see some of ya  at sundays CP
22:01 < jokeefe> thanks moore joe
22:02 < jokeefe> aye Jlefty
22:02 < Bluestreak> aye
22:02 < jokeefe> aye
22:02 < jokeefe> srevilak, you have the transcript?
22:02 < jokeefe> any opposed?
22:03 < srevilak> jokeefe: will post transcript
22:03 < jokeefe> thank you
22:03 < jokeefe> motion passes
22:03 < jokeefe> good night all!  thank you
22:04 < Bluestreak> Night