May 15th, 2012 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Agenda

0. Status

1. Boston Pride

2. Supporter Survey

3. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot?

4. Anything else others want to bring up.

Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:

1. Boston Pride

Action items:

  • Need to ask Chris about our statement for Pride
  • Send in form for table insurance
  • Drum up people to march/table

2. Supporter Survey

Possible questions:

  • What issue do you think is the most important issue we should focus on? - Government transparency, promoting personal privacy, eliminating government surveillance, reforming copyright, eliminating patents, corporate power, ...
  • How would you prioritize the issues we should focus on? - Government transparency, promoting personal privacy, eliminating government surveillance, reforming copyright, eliminating patents, corporate power, education, health care, the economy, the environment, ...
  • What issues do you think we need to take positions on? <text field or list?>
  • Where do you think we should be focusing our efforts? - holding informational events such as how to protect your privacy on the Internet, staging spectacle events such as marching through Logan airport in our underwear to protest the erosion of privacy, running candidates for local offices, running candidates for state legislature, running candidates for the House of Representatives
  • What is the single biggest impediment to you telling your friends about the Pirate Party? - don't know enough about our positions, don't have the materials to give to them, too busy, don't think it will help, they aren't interested, the name
  • What actions would make you more likely to participate?

3. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot?

4. Anything else others want to bring up.

Attending

  • jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville
  • SplendidSpoon - Lauren Pespisa, Boxboro/Cambridge
  • passstab -
  • bsod -
  • brandonj - From OccupyBoston IT

Observers:

  • GrimJack
  • hwkns_
  • illunatic
  • [Derek]

Summary

1. Boston Pride

2. Supporter Survey

3. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot?

Meeting Minutes

<nowiki>

[11:48] <jokeefe> hi passstab [11:48] <passstab> hey [11:48] <passstab> didja send that thing? [11:52] <jokeefe> humble bundle? [11:54] <passstab> yea [11:57] <jokeefe> sadly haven't done anything with it due to other issues. I will send it out this week. Thanks for sending the questions! [12:14] <[bsod]> is nobody coming this week? [12:14] <passstab> to? [12:14] <[bsod]> here [12:14] <[bsod]> lol [12:14] <passstab> oh the meeting is now? [12:14] <jokeefe> been waiting for SplendidSpoon [12:15] <[bsod]> shes in #telecomix, i can ping her [12:15] <jokeefe> I know erixoltan cannot make it today. [12:15] <jokeefe> thanks, bsod [12:15] <passstab> agenda? [12:15] <jokeefe> http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=May_15th,_2012_IRC_Meeting [12:16] <[bsod]> hmm, perhaps she isnt on; i supose it's possible to become busy when connecting from work [12:16] <jokeefe> yes [12:17] <[bsod]> lol [12:17] <jokeefe> I txt'd her [12:17] <[bsod]> k [12:17] <[bsod]> well, it's going to be a boring meeting if it's just us [12:17] <jokeefe> item 0. status so the film fest occured, but the weather was too nice it would seem [12:17] <jokeefe> got some new people though [12:18] <[bsod]> ya, i wasnt able to come again [12:18] <jokeefe> verifying sigs for JPs ballot papers [12:18] <[bsod]> someday im just gonna show up at something and people will have picutured me completly differntly [12:18] <jokeefe> lol [12:19] <jokeefe> bunch of action items for Boston Pride up on the agenda that need to be done soon. [12:19] == SplendidSpoon [~lpespisa@38.111.20.226] has joined #masspirates [12:19] <jokeefe> hey! [12:19] <SplendidSpoon> Hey sorry I'm late - work and stuff [12:19] <[bsod]> hehe, hey [12:19] <jokeefe> agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=May_15th,_2012_IRC_Meeting [12:19] <jokeefe> on item 1. boston pride [12:19] <jokeefe> erik did some calls, more to do. [12:19] <[bsod]> i hear that's gonna be totally gay [12:19] <SplendidSpoon> lol [12:20] <[bsod]> so, we're not officially a part of it yet or whats happening ? [12:21] <jokeefe> we have a table, and a space to march. need to pay for insurance on the table and get people to work the table and march [12:21] <[bsod]> oh, those tables can be dangerious [12:21] <jokeefe> yes [12:21] <[bsod]> i take it its always hard finding volunteers also [12:22] <jokeefe> we need to be persistent and call. [12:22] <[bsod]> oh, is that what you're calling about [12:22] <jokeefe> among other things [12:23] <jokeefe> So if you can make it, great! [12:23] <[bsod]> to the parade? [12:24] <[bsod]> where and when, i gotta ask my wife lol [12:24] <[bsod]> sharing a car gets tricky [12:27] == GrimJack [~Grimjack@24-177-35-99.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com] has joined #masspirates [12:28] <jokeefe> hi GrimJack [12:28] <jokeefe> http://www.bostonpride.org/parade/#schedule [12:28] <jokeefe> march starts at noon [12:28] <GrimJack> Hello [12:28] <[bsod]> but i mean like, are you guys meeting at a paticular place where random guests can stop by ? [12:28] <jokeefe> at pride? [12:28] <[bsod]> ya [12:29] <jokeefe> for the march? [12:29] <[bsod]> heh, or whatever, i dont really know how these things are setup [12:29] <jokeefe> it would make sense to assemble someplace then march to the march [12:29] <jokeefe> SplendidSpoon and I have marshal training [12:29] <[bsod]> lol [12:30] <[bsod]> im asking my wife if we can do that via txt message [12:30] <jokeefe> cool [12:30] <SplendidSpoon> Yes it'd be good to have a place for Pirates to meet up [12:30] <SplendidSpoon> Also, if people need rides and live between Boxboro and Boston I can pick ppl up if needed. [12:31] <jokeefe> looks like we setup on boylston between clarendon st and the hynes convention center. [12:31] <[bsod]> hmm, i wonder if its easier to drive or take the t [12:31] <jokeefe> we'll know more after training. [12:32] <SplendidSpoon> When's training? [12:32] <[bsod]> parking sucks, but sometimes its just nice to have a car [12:32] <jokeefe> 17th and 20th - http://www.bostonpride.org/parade/#marshaltrainingsessions [12:32] <jokeefe> I will be at the one on the 20th [12:32] <passstab> re [12:33] <SplendidSpoon> Yes I guess I will be too [12:33] <[bsod]> oh, i thought it was june 9th [12:33] <jokeefe> bsod, could take car to mbta stop then take the mbta into boston [12:33] <SplendidSpoon> Yes [12:33] <jokeefe> it is [12:33] <[bsod]> heh [12:33] <jokeefe> the trainings are the 17th/20th [12:33] <SplendidSpoon> I will be parking in Kendall sq [12:33] <SplendidSpoon> in my work spot [12:33] <SplendidSpoon> and taking T in [12:34] <[bsod]> heh, i think parking in worcester is expesive too, but cheap in framingham [12:34] <[bsod]> i think the best way to save money is just to get the parking ticket isnt it [12:35] <passstab> the film feast was a failure? [12:35] <[bsod]> it was nice out [12:35] <[bsod]> so is the parade on the 9th then also on the 17th and 20th ? [12:35] <jokeefe> I wouldn't say it was a failure, just not as successful as we hoped. [12:35] <jokeefe> we learn and continue on. [12:36] <jokeefe> got to post the links. I know a UK Pirate was interested in pirating our film fest. :-) [12:36] <[bsod]> heh [12:36] <passstab> lol [12:37] <SplendidSpoon> I liked the movies [12:37] <[bsod]> heh, are you the one who tweeted something about being on the prowl [12:37] <passstab> ~how many attended? [12:39] <jokeefe> more than ten [12:39] <jokeefe> item 2. Supporter Survey [12:40] <jokeefe> so seeing as we don't have liquid feedback up yet, it would be good to get feedback from supporters as to where we should focus our limited effort. [12:40] <[bsod]> how can you accuratly survey ? [12:40] <jokeefe> we do the best we can. surveychimp? [12:40] <passstab> i don't think that is the right approach [12:41] <jokeefe> I posted some questions we could ask at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=May_15th,_2012_IRC_Meeting [12:41] <jokeefe> what do you think is a better approach passstab? [12:41] <passstab> where you should focus isn't a good survey topic imho [12:42] <passstab> what you should think is a better one [12:42] <[bsod]> so, copyrights and patents vs transparency and privacy [12:42] <passstab> those who want to discuss the former should come here and discuss [12:43] <[bsod]> not everyone is technically savvy [12:43] <[bsod]> for irc [12:43] <passstab> i know [12:43] <passstab> but this kinda limits us to the results [12:43] <jokeefe> was thinking of using something like http://tryirv.us/ [12:44] <jokeefe> so we can get people to rank their choices. [12:44] <[bsod]> for the second question it's funny that healthcare is still in there [12:45] <jokeefe> why? [12:46] <[bsod]> it seems everyone ive talked to is happy with obamacare [12:46] <[bsod]> or it must be polarized to left and right regions maybe ? [12:47] <SplendidSpoon> Yes I think so [12:47] <SplendidSpoon> Also - many people benefit and don't realize it [12:47] <jokeefe> I think people are happier that they can get coverage (or at least think they can get coverage), but how much it costs and what it covers are open questions. [12:47] <SplendidSpoon> They are not informed [12:47] <SplendidSpoon> People think it means they can't pick their Drs, even though insurance companies are worse [12:47] <SplendidSpoon> all sorts of misinformation [12:47] <jokeefe> also, we are in MA, we had ObamaRomneyCare already [12:48] <SplendidSpoon> Yes [12:48] <[bsod]> i have a probelem with the insurance companies lol [12:48] <SplendidSpoon> I never had it, I'm on Dad's insurance [12:48] <[bsod]> but im alone with that [12:48] <SplendidSpoon> I have problem with insurance companies too [12:48] <jokeefe> I don't think you are alone in that. [12:48] <SplendidSpoon> I think they are wasteful and inefficient [12:48] <[bsod]> like if it were up to me, i do what canada does [12:48] <SplendidSpoon> and the fact that healthcare is for-profit is barbaric [12:48] <jokeefe> so do the questions look like they are useful? [12:49] <[bsod]> sry, i took us off topic [12:49] <[bsod]> some of they seem possibly redundant maybe [12:49] <[bsod]> s/they/them [12:52] <jokeefe> yes, stream of consciousness [12:52] <[bsod]> heh [12:53] <[bsod]> we need more people to participate in irc meetings, lets get that on the agenda [12:53] <jokeefe> yes [12:53] <jokeefe> or get liquid feedback [12:53] <[bsod]> yea we should do that, the germans love it [12:53] <jokeefe> so people don't have to hang out for an hour [12:53] <[bsod]> is it hard to setup or something / [12:54] <jokeefe> uses non-standard software. postgres db, not unstandard, but the ui framework is, iirc [12:54] <jokeefe> there seems to be some interest in getting it up, but no commitments [12:55] <[bsod]> whos our website guy ? [12:55] <[bsod]> is that just you? [12:55] <[bsod]> i bet the germans would help if we asked [12:55] <jokeefe> we can ask. [12:56] <jokeefe> I seem to have too many hats, but I am not the only one dealing with it. [12:56] <jokeefe> got to rope SplendidSpoon, others in so it isn't centralized. [12:57] <SplendidSpoon> ? [12:57] <SplendidSpoon> Oh yes [12:57] <SplendidSpoon> We need more people doing things [12:58] <SplendidSpoon> but I don't know how to set up liquidfeedback [12:58] <[bsod]> http://svt.se/nyheter/varlden/fritt-fram-att-piratfildela-i-finland [12:58] <SplendidSpoon> I could help with front end if the design stuff isn't included [12:59] <[bsod]> are you a designist ? [13:00] <[bsod]> im pretty terrible at making things look nice [13:00] <SplendidSpoon> I'm a front-end developer [13:00] <SplendidSpoon> So I mostly turn others designs into code [13:00] <[bsod]> o i c [13:00] <SplendidSpoon> but I'm ok at design myself [13:00] <SplendidSpoon> I mean, I AM a girl [13:00] <[bsod]> thats totally sexist! [13:00] <SplendidSpoon> lol [13:01] <SplendidSpoon> Well, I don't know anything about design but I have intuitive sense [13:01] <[bsod]> im sick of getting the gay guy who was stereotyped into the hair salon who has no idea how to cut hair [13:01] <SplendidSpoon> lol [13:01] <SplendidSpoon> You know I'm being only half-serious [13:02] <SplendidSpoon> I mean, I think my femaleness has it's benefits, but it could also just be me [13:02] <[bsod]> sure [13:02] <passstab> maybe a political party that being logged shouldn't be saying this stuff [13:02] <SplendidSpoon> anyway, if we need CSS and front-end stuff I can help [13:02] <SplendidSpoon> meh it's just a joke [13:02] <[bsod]> pfft, fine [13:02] <[bsod]> they dont even know who i am [13:03] <passstab> i know it's a joke,but it's stuff like this that gets exaggerated [13:03] <jokeefe> I go to barbers, but there is one close to me. [13:03] <[bsod]> i havent found once since i moved here [13:03] <[bsod]> keep trying random places [13:03] <SplendidSpoon> I only get my hair cut every 6 months or so [13:03] <SplendidSpoon> At the insistence of my coworker, I go to her hairdresser [13:04] <SplendidSpoon> I hate getting my hair done [13:04] <SplendidSpoon> I'm not into hair or fashion most of the time, I do bare minimum [13:04] <[bsod]> i wont ask you guys where you go cause its kind of out of my daily range where you all live [13:05] <[bsod]> i like the next issue "Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot" [13:05] <passstab> is it too late to set up a music feast in the summer? [13:05] <[bsod]> if we have a good one, that could bring the news' attention to us [13:05] <[bsod]> it's never too late [13:05] <passstab> then les do it!! [13:06] <[bsod]> heh [13:06] <[bsod]> brb, gotta look out for the pizza guy cause my aparement is sorta unfindable [13:06] <jokeefe> you lead, passstab [13:06] <passstab> by us i refer to you ofc [13:06] * passstab dosn't know how to lead [13:07] <jokeefe> it is a good idea, but based on the success of the convention I think events with active engagement will do better than those with passive viewing [13:07] <passstab> like what? [13:08] <SplendidSpoon> Agreed [13:08] <SplendidSpoon> People want to talk to us [13:08] <[bsod]> we used to have an active local music scene, is that still going on [13:08] <jokeefe> yes [13:08] <[bsod]> hmm, may be some way to tap into that later [13:09] <passstab> actually artist support is important [13:09] <SplendidSpoon> Yes [13:09] <jokeefe> we did some things with together boston electronic music fest and will do it again (and more) in 2013 [13:09] <passstab> so maybe that IS a good idea [13:09] <SplendidSpoon> When I move to Somerville I plan on joining artisans asylum [13:09] <SplendidSpoon> and any other hackerspaces I can [13:09] <SplendidSpoon> I will recruit, but nicely :D [13:10] <jokeefe> there is sprout in somerville. [13:10] <jokeefe> The Sprouts [13:11] <SplendidSpoon> hey guise [13:11] <SplendidSpoon> Occupy Boston IT just pinged me [13:11] == brandonj [~brandon@lair.fifthhorseman.net] has joined #masspirates [13:11] <SplendidSpoon> they drafted a statement against cispa, want us to sign [13:11] <SplendidSpoon> ohai [13:12] <jokeefe> hi brandonj [13:12] <passstab> you should target FOSS groups [13:12] <brandonj> hello [13:12] <brandonj> am I interrupting? [13:12] <jokeefe> no [13:12] <[bsod]> im still trying to get Caleb James DeLisle in here lol [13:12] <passstab> the agenda is finished already [13:13] <brandonj> right, so OBIT has a statement against CISPA, and we're trying to get other orgs to sign on [13:13] <jokeefe> we came out against CISPA, so shouldn't be a problem to sign occupy's statement on it. [13:13] <jokeefe> where is it posted? [13:13] <brandonj> https://pad.riseup.net/p/TeklQmINc21J [13:14] <SplendidSpoon> [bsod] Caleb James DeLisle is a good dev right? [13:14] <jokeefe> first, no passive voice :-) [13:14] <[bsod]> hes doing cjdns right now [13:14] <[bsod]> lives in western massachusetts [13:14] <[bsod]> http://activepolitic.com:82/News/2012-01-19b/Rebuilding_the_Internet_Without_Censorship.html [13:14] <[bsod]> kind of a long boring post lol [13:14] <SplendidSpoon> brandonj where do we sign? [13:15] <brandonj> SplendidSpoon: you can jsut say you endorse it, then when we officially release it we'll but Mass Pirate Party on the bottom too [13:15] <SplendidSpoon> ah I see. [13:15] <brandonj> minor edits are welcome too [13:15] <[bsod]> cispa sucks.. mmm'k [13:17] <jokeefe> here is our latest call to action on CISPA - http://www.masspirates.org/blog/2012/04/26/house-passes-cispa-tell-senate-to-save-your-privacy/ [13:17] <[bsod]> i got a letter back from scott brown already [13:18] <[bsod]> gonna post it on my site if im ever less lazy [13:18] <SplendidSpoon> I think as long as OBIT's statement doesn't call for other cybersecurity laws or Intellectual Property protections I support signing it [13:18] <[bsod]> or some drastic action [13:20] <brandonj> it's actually rather tame as far as OBIT goes [13:20] <jokeefe> yes [13:20] <passstab> obit? [13:20] <brandonj> Occupy Boston IT [13:20] <SplendidSpoon> OBIT = Occupy Boston IT [13:20] <passstab> ahh [13:21] <jokeefe> last stat I heard was the 50+% of cyber attacks wer done for activist not govt/corp espionage reasons [13:21] <SplendidSpoon> OK I vote "aye" for letting OBIT put Mass Pirates as supporters against CISPA [13:21] <[bsod]> oh, thats a thing [13:21] <passstab> dosn't make them ok [13:21] <[bsod]> what kind of it are we occypying ? [13:22] <jokeefe> I am fine with it, though I recommend that it have a more forceful summary [13:22] <passstab> you should see about coordinating w obit [13:22] <jokeefe> and no passive voice ;-) [13:22] <passstab> more often [13:22] <brandonj> jokeefe: I'll pass that recommendation on. I agree on both points [13:23] <brandonj> passstab: we've tried to coordinate in the past but those plans fell through [13:23] <SplendidSpoon> Yes we should coordinate with them more often. They are the best part of Occupy Boston [13:23] <brandonj> SplendidSpoon: :) [13:23] <SplendidSpoon> :D Datalove for the nerdz [13:24] <passstab> they are coordinated as occupy itself? [13:24] <passstab> :D [13:25] <jokeefe> I joined OBIT. Guess I missed that there was another list besides the sopa one. sorry about that. [13:25] <brandonj> oh that's ok [13:26] <jokeefe> bsod, you ok with it? [13:26] <[bsod]> sure [13:27] <[bsod]> i dont really follow ob, i was jsut going to sit silent [13:27] <[bsod]> but, anything against cispa must be good [13:28] <jokeefe> you got our approval, brandonj. we hate CISPA [13:28] <[bsod]> it might alienate 1%ers from joining the pirateparty [13:28] <[bsod]> lol [13:28] <brandonj> thanks :D [13:28] <jokeefe> any talk of a rally or some other event to highlight this bill? [13:30] <brandonj> not yet [13:30] <[bsod]> could totally bring it up at some other type of rally [13:30] <brandonj> the problem with that is always getting "normal" people to care about "nerd things" [13:30] <brandonj> but I'm totally game for trying to organize something [13:31] <jokeefe> privacy is a strong issue that resonates with a lot of people [13:32] <jokeefe> BTW: you all want to march with us as part of Boston Pride? [13:32] <jokeefe> Is Occupy going to be marching? [13:32] <[bsod]> possibly [13:32] <brandonj> I'm sure there will be an Occupy group there [13:33] <[bsod]> occupy the gays [13:33] <[bsod]> are you guys everywhere basically? [13:33] <brandonj> queer/trans da will probably try to show up and disrupt the shit out of it [13:34] <brandonj> [bsod]: we try [13:34] * passstab reminds everyone we are a political party being logged [13:35] <jokeefe> logging ourselves, yes, thanks for the reminder passstab [13:35] <[bsod]> im sure you can find people crazier than us at any political meeting [13:35] <jokeefe> aye! [13:35] <passstab> but they aren't being recorded [13:35] <passstab> always [13:35] <[bsod]> tell that to ron paul [13:35] <[bsod]> heh, nvm [13:36] <[bsod]> im pretty sure the fbi atleast sits in on political things of significance, with is not a good sign for us that they havent even bothered to say hi [13:37] <passstab> fbi? [13:37] <brandonj> we know that everything in #occupyboston and #occupybostonit has been compromised [13:37] <[bsod]> do you guys use irc also ? [13:37] <brandonj> yeah [13:38] <[bsod]> yea, feds all over [13:38] <brandonj> we're on irc.indymedia.org [13:38] <[bsod]> i might say hi sometime [13:38] <[bsod]> or how about now [13:40] <jokeefe> any how, so neither erixoltan or i have written the call for possible 2012 public policy questions for the november ballot. I should have better news by next meeting. [13:41] <[bsod]> we should be able to figure out what our taxes pay for [13:41] <[bsod]> property tax goes to the school and fire department ect... sales tax goes to the.... no one knows [13:43] <[bsod]> something speciffic to piracy and something specific to massachusetts, might be tricky to line up [13:44] <jokeefe> on ma spending check out - http://opencheckbook.itd.state.ma.us/analytics/saw.dll?Dashboard [13:45] <[bsod]> cool [13:46] <[bsod]> http://opencheckbook.itd.state.ma.us/analytics/saw.dll?Dashboard&PortalPath=%2Fshared%2FTransparency%2F_portal%2FHome&Page=State%20Spending [13:47] <[bsod]> independants 13% [13:47] <[bsod]> hmm [13:50] <[bsod]> jokeefe, what first intrested you in pirate party politics? [13:51] <jokeefe> victory in Sweden brought my attention to it [13:52] <jokeefe> but it just felt right, being a tech geek and all for 20+ years [13:52] <[bsod]> do you see it as a change from the green rainbow party or do the same issues continue throughout both [13:58] <jokeefe> the best way I can characterize it came from a Swedish professor who interviewed me. Greens and Pirates are yin & yang to each other. Greens try to conserve our limited resources (i.e. the environment), Pirates try to expand our unlimited resources (human imagination). [13:58] <jokeefe> Both have an anti-authoritarian, pro-civil liberties focus as well. [13:59] <jokeefe> you? [13:59] <passstab> interesting [13:59] <[bsod]> me? well, the full story isnt for public channels [13:59] <jokeefe> The Swedish researcher got the idea from a European Pirate, IIRC [13:59] <jokeefe> fair enough [14:00] <[bsod]> and SplendidSpoon is a computer geek [14:00] <SplendidSpoon> Indeed :D [14:00] <[bsod]> lol [14:00] <[bsod]> how did you end up here? [14:01] <SplendidSpoon> I read something about the Pirate Party in Sweden or Germany [14:01] <SplendidSpoon> Wanted to see if we had one here [14:01] <SplendidSpoon> and voila, Mass Pirates existed [14:01] <SplendidSpoon> But I was always into the issues we cared about, which is why I was interested in the European Pirates [14:01] <[bsod]> i thought it was funny that i had had so much involvment with the swedes and all of a sudden there was a local party [14:02] * passstab hopes to have a similar experience [14:02] <[bsod]> i knew back when ktetch was working with the national party before the initial breakup, he would tell us stuff once in awhile and at the time nothing exciting was happening to drag me in [14:03] <[bsod]> he recently quit, too much time consumption in politics [14:04] <[bsod]> i posted this in ppuk's chat just now http://194.71.107.80 and its alternative piratebay ip thats being setup that for now circumvents the block, people can put domains that point to that ip [14:05] <[bsod]> but i couldnt have picked a worse time, thepiratebay is down [14:07] <[bsod]> speaking of mass people, why isnt this guy in here http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/05/admitted-file-swapper-begs-supreme-court-for-help/ [14:07] <[bsod]> we need to gobble up some of the celebrities in our local area [14:10] <[bsod]> well folks, that's all the time I have for today... meeting adjourned? [14:10] <jokeefe> pretty much. will check the ars articles. thanks! [14:11] <[bsod]> cya'll next week [14:13] <passstab> by all [14:14] <jokeefe> take care