May 15th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Decisions

  1. Delivery of election papers
  2. Instead of Piratecon in the spring, work with the DMC instead. Plan Piratecon in Spring 2015.

Tasks

  1. Review: Today's Greenwald/Chomsky event
  2. May 18th, Cryptoparty
  3. May 22nd, Submit signatures for candidates
  4. May 24th Boston Security Conference - James speaking at it
  5. May 24th, March Against Monsanto, Boston

Events

  1. May 18th Together Boston Cryptoparty, General Assembly, Boston
  2. May 24th Boston Security Conference - James speaking at it
  3. May 24th, March Against Monsanto, Boston
  4. June 5th, Reset the Net

Participants

  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • JCFiero (Jason Fiero)
  • Bluelustreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, Highland Park, MI)
  • Joe

Observers:

  • ageis
  • davidd
  • zby

Summary

Election Papers. We'll drop them off at Noon on Thu 5/22. Deadline in 5/27. Attending: Jamie, Jason, Lucia, Noe, (hopefully) Joe. Signatures need to be dropped off at State Elections Division, 1 Ashburton Place, 17th floor (?), next to the state house.

DMC. Instead of planning a pirate conference, we'll try to work with DMC organizers instead. Mailing list for DMC planning: http://server1.naffe.net/mailman/listinfo/planning_digitalmediaconference.org. Pirate conference to be held in Spring 2015.

Steve to check with Indiegogo-like services (for fundraising) can be made acceptable to OCPF.

Saturday meeting for Finance, Budgeting discussion. Steve's house. 4pm. RSVP if you need the address.

March Against Monsanto is May 24th. Jason and Lucia leading that up.

Jamie speaking at May 24th security meetup in Cambridge.

Reset the net. June 5th. masspirates.org supports https. For Reset the net, we'll make https mandatory. Press release for Candidates getting on ballot: https://piratenpad.de/p/2014candidatesregistrationPR

Meeting Minutes

21:00 < srevilak> Agenda:
21:01 < srevilak> https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_15th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:01 < jokeefe> thanks, srevilak
21:01 < Bluelustreak> You have the com srevilak?
21:01 < Bluelustreak> OH there you are!
21:01 < Bluelustreak> Howdy ho
21:01 < jokeefe> kid concert
21:01 < Bluelustreak> lil kid or big kid?
21:02 < jokeefe> old one
21:02 < jokeefe> older one
21:02 < jokeefe> ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:03 < Bluelustreak> Lucia Fiero
21:03 < Bluelustreak> Derp Jason is here
21:04 < Bluelustreak> just ran upstairs derp
21:04 < srevilak> Item I: Delivery of election papers
21:04 < JCFiero> Jason Fiero
21:04 < srevilak> what did we choose in terms of dates?
21:04 < Bluelustreak> 22
21:05 < Bluelustreak> Joe is coming
21:05 < srevilak> Okay, so a week from today
21:05 < srevilak> Time preferences?
21:05 < jokeefe> noon works for me currently
21:06 < JCFiero> noon is good
21:06 < Bluelustreak> Yay.
21:06 < Bluelustreak> Joe called you, James?
21:06 < jokeefe> No, I called him
21:06 < jokeefe> Noelani cannot make it tonight.
21:06 < Bluelustreak> Good news.... I was sitting on it.
21:06 < srevilak> Once again, the deadline is the 29th?
21:06 < jokeefe> yes
21:07 < srevilak> & where (physically) do we need to be?
21:07 < jokeefe> No May 27th is the date
21:07 < Bluelustreak> we settled on the 22
21:08 < Bluelustreak> This weekend can you please show us how to file the ethics form?
21:08 < jokeefe> May 27th is the last day to submit, we are dropping off on the 22nd
21:08 < Bluelustreak> Jason and I both plan on being at your house.
21:08 < Bluelustreak> \Don't let us fuck this up Jamie
21:08 < srevilak> Sounds like Jamie and Jason are planning to attend on 22nd.  Any others?
21:08 < Bluelustreak> I am so proud of Joe
21:09 < Bluelustreak> Joe is on fucking TWITCH right now. :-P
21:09 < Bluelustreak> #priorities
21:09 < Bluelustreak> LOL
21:09 < srevilak> So, only Jason and Jamie attending on 22nd?
21:09 < Bluelustreak> Me too!~
21:09 < Bluelustreak> Joe proly too
21:09 < srevilak> Are Joe, Noe free that day?
21:10 < Bluelustreak> idk about Noe
21:10 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: is Joe free that day?
21:10 < Bluelustreak> I can't raise him
21:10 < Bluelustreak> I have his number on my Samsung only and AJ has commandeered it
21:11 < Bluelustreak> I just called him, told him to get on IRC... :-P
21:11 < Bluelustreak> I think he is streaming
21:11 < jokeefe> Yes, 22nd is the date we said we show up to drop off the sigs - http://masspirates.org/wiki/May_1st,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:11 < jokeefe> Noelani said she could make it.
21:11 < Bluelustreak> We will get Joe there, don't worry.
21:11 < jokeefe> Joe said he would be on, but needs dinner
21:11 < jokeefe> IRC that is
21:11 < Bluelustreak> LOL
21:12 < Bluelustreak> typical.
21:12 < Bluelustreak> gamers never get hungry until it is time to stop playing/
21:12 < jokeefe> On the 22nd we need to drop the signatures off at the State Elections Division, 1 Ashburton Place, 17th floor (IIRC), next to the state house
21:12 < srevilak> I may not be able to make noon on 22nd, but I don't want to stand in the way if that time works for everyone else
21:13 < Bluelustreak> OK can you help us with the ethics form registeration James?
21:13 < jokeefe> yes,
21:13 < Bluelustreak> Cool
21:13 < Bluelustreak> TY
21:13 < jokeefe> So 1. Decisions
21:13 < Bluelustreak> I am so excited
21:14 < Bluelustreak> hey Joe got all his sigs!
21:14 < srevilak> Any other preparations to make for dropping off papers?
21:14 < jokeefe> Ahoy, Kendra
21:14 < Bluelustreak> and then some
21:14 < Kendra> Hi Mass Pirates
21:14 < jokeefe> I put forward a suggestion that instead of Piratecon in the fall, work with the DMC instead, and plan PirateCon2015 in the Spring
21:14 < jokeefe> Comments?
21:15 < Kendra> Kendra Moyer, Highland Park, MI
21:15 < Bluelustreak> I would like to partcipate in DMC
21:15 < srevilak> I'm in favor of DMC + spring piratecon
21:15 < Bluelustreak> I invited my Mom oops
21:15 < Bluelustreak> She wants to start bloggin about her life as a lawyer.
21:16 < jokeefe> cool
21:16 < Bluelustreak> I will regret it, I'm sure.
21:16 < jokeefe> other comments?
21:16 < Kendra> I think with the election stuff, it makes sense to combine efforts with DMC this year and postpone Pirate Con until spring. 
21:16 < srevilak> Email list for DMC planning: http://server1.naffe.net/mailman/listinfo/planning_digitalmediaconference.org
21:17 < Bluelustreak> WHo needs a "convention" when we have TWO CANDIATRES on the ballot!
21:17 < Bluelustreak> YaY
21:17 < srevilak> Has anyone been following the existing DMC planning process?
21:17 < Bluelustreak> Um nope
21:18 < Bluelustreak> But I will now
21:18 < jokeefe> sorta been
21:19 < Kendra> any news?
21:19 < jokeefe> folks met today, haven't reviewed the notes, but bunches more people involved
21:19 < jokeefe> not hearing anyone objecting
21:20 < Bluelustreak> Um voting is nice
21:20 < Bluelustreak> :-D
21:20 < jokeefe> so moving to a vote: all in favor of pushing our convention to ~Spring 2015 and focusing on helping DMC 2014
21:21 < srevilak> All in favor of working with DMC planners, and holding Piratecon in spring 2015?
21:21 < srevilak> aye
21:21 < jokeefe> aye
21:21 < Kendra> aye 
21:21 < JCFiero> aye
21:21 < Bluelustreak> aye
21:22 < srevilak> I think that's unanimous.  Any objections?
21:22 < Joe> Hey
21:22 < Joe> Joseph Guertin, Bellingham Ma
21:22 < jokeefe> srevilak: we should see if indiegogo like services work for OCPF.  Could use it for prefundraising: raise $300 - DemoCenter, Raise $700 - ComChurch, Raise $2000 - some university
21:23 < JCFiero> ahoy J da man
21:23 < srevilak> jokeefe: can check with MGL Ch 55 & OCPF
21:23 < Joe> yargh
21:23 < Bluelustreak> ty steve
21:24 < jokeefe> ahoy Joe.  seeing no objections to moving our convention to ~Spring 2015 and focusing on helping DMC 2014, motion so passes
21:24 < jokeefe> Bluelustreak - would you give a quick review of the Greenwald/Chomsky event today?
21:25 < Bluelustreak> Well, in fact Sam needed me to take her around town picking up prom gear.
21:25 < Bluelustreak> So I ddnt have time
21:26 < jokeefe> ok, well we can check in with Joan later
21:26 < Bluelustreak> I was done with her at about 6:30.
21:26 < Bluelustreak> OK let's do that.
21:26 < Bluelustreak> She is so excited about prom!
21:26 < jokeefe> good for her
21:27 < jokeefe> May 18th, Cryptoparty - anyone able to sub on OTR or Tails?
21:28 < srevilak> I've tinkered with tails.  Could put together something this weekend
21:28 < Bluelustreak> Thanks!
21:28 < jokeefe> here is the current line up - https://generalassemb.ly/education/together-boston-presents-cryptoparty/boston/5436
21:28 < Bluelustreak> Well, except for Andres
21:28 < Bluelustreak> w
21:29 < jokeefe> if you can that would be good, though then you have two classes at the same time.
21:29 < jokeefe> Don't know if ageis has any experience with it.
21:29 < jokeefe> If we only have two at a time, then it isn't a big deal
21:30 < jokeefe> please spread the word about it
21:30 < jokeefe> link is https://generalassemb.ly/education/together-boston-presents-cryptoparty/boston/5436
21:30 < jokeefe> Next is May 22nd, Submit signatures for candidates
21:31 < jokeefe> Joe, can you make a noon time meeting?
21:31 < Joe> Shouldn't be an issue
21:31 < Bluelustreak> We can carpool if you like.
21:34 < jokeefe> great
21:35 < jokeefe> all we need is the press release - suggest one for Mass. press, and each campaign should have a one for local press
21:36 < Bluelustreak> Can we coordinate this on Saturday, too?
21:36 < jokeefe> sure - https://piratenpad.de/p/2014candidatesregistrationPR
21:37 < Bluelustreak> Big day Saturday. We'll bring Pizza.
21:37 < jokeefe> great
21:38 < jokeefe> Would one of you send out a notice about Sat. meeting to the activist list?
21:38 < Bluelustreak> Sure thing
21:38 < jokeefe> thanks
21:39 < Bluelustreak> All folks invited to your house for...?
21:39 < Bluelustreak> Finance
21:39 < srevilak> The saturday meeting will focus on budgeting
21:39 < jokeefe> budget planning - oooo sexy
21:39 < Bluelustreak> Sgi submittal prep
21:39 < Bluelustreak> Don't get me started
21:39 < Joe> what time saturday?
21:39 < Bluelustreak> sig
21:39 < srevilak> When sending announcement, pls say it will be held in Arlington, MA.  RSVP for address and directions
21:39 < srevilak> TIme is 4pm
21:40 < Bluelustreak> KK
21:40 < Bluelustreak> TY srevilak
21:40 < jokeefe> May 24th I am speaking at the Boston Security Conference in Cambridge
21:40 < Bluelustreak> and...
21:40 < Bluelustreak> And its the MAM
21:41 < jokeefe> Also, it is the Boston March against Monsanto
21:41 < Bluelustreak> Jason and I can lead that up, I guess
21:41 < Bluelustreak> Hope you can join us eventually, sir
21:41 < jokeefe> thanks.
21:41 < Bluelustreak> What time is your presentation jokeefe?
21:42 < jokeefe> there is a meet & greet after it
21:42 < jokeefe> not sure, will find out
21:42 < Bluelustreak> Well you have fun then
21:42 < srevilak> jokeefe: I think you were 9th on the schedule of 10
21:43 < jokeefe> thanks
21:44 < srevilak> Any remaining tasks for Sun Cryptoparty?
21:45 < jokeefe> don't think so
21:45 < jokeefe> besides tell others about it
21:45 < jokeefe> srevilak, is it easy to build a new signup form for the upcoming events?
21:46 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: what's "Sgi".  Assume you don't mean Silicon Graphics, Inc
21:46 < Bluelustreak> typo meant "sigs"
21:47 < srevilak> jokeefe: yes.  Building forms is easy.
21:47 < srevilak> That said, Visual form builder is not very user friendly to the person filling it out
21:47 < jokeefe> oh joy
21:47 < srevilak> one validation error, and you have to start from scratch
21:47  * srevilak must get back to working on CiviCRM :)
21:48 < jokeefe> maybe I will use wufoo then
21:48 < srevilak> jokeefe: will talk to you off-line about setting up new MFPL hosting order
21:48 < Bluelustreak> *hears Greek*
21:48 < jokeefe> yeah
21:49 < srevilak> jokeefe: alternative: don't make any required fields, and don't put in field validation
21:49 < jokeefe> yes
21:49 < srevilak> or, make user swear when they make a mistake :)
21:49 < Bluelustreak> Well since no one else is going to do it....
21:50 < srevilak> Re Cryptoparty.  Andrew was doing tails and Kevin was doing OTR.  DId one of them back out?
21:50 < Bluelustreak> I would like to CONGRATULATE JOE
21:50 < Bluelustreak> for collecting enough sigs so get on the ballot!
21:50 < Kendra> Congrats Joe, nice job
21:50 < Bluelustreak> Hooray! Well done!
21:50 < srevilak> Indeed.  Good work
21:50 < Joe> Thanks, couldn't have done it without the help of everyone
21:50 < Bluelustreak> Happy to help. Thanks for representing us.
21:51 < jokeefe> srevilak, Encrypting Your Files with TrueCrypt is what Kevin is doing, Andrew had Tails & OTR
21:51 < srevilak> So, andrew backed out?
21:51 < jokeefe> Joe didn't just get enough sigs, he got 198
21:51 < jokeefe> valid signatures
21:51 < Bluelustreak> Yes he is teh awesome
21:51 < jokeefe> Congratulations Joe and to everyone who came out to help him!
21:51 < Kendra> he sent an email saying he over booked
21:52 < JCFiero> woot !  YEAY JoOE
21:52 < srevilak> Kendra: thx.  Haven't had time to read mail in several days :(
21:52 < Joe> Its 210 with a couple sheets the say "Pirates" on them but they might not accept those
21:52 < jokeefe> It was great that we pulled together to get him over the hump and Joe & Bluelustreak carried him well past the finish line
21:53 < srevilak> Joe: you didn't get a valid count yet?
21:53 < jokeefe> that is the valid count
21:53 < Bluelustreak> Froze my *ss off that last day.
21:53 < srevilak> Well, now the real fund begins
21:53 < srevilak> Well, now the real fun begins
21:53 < Bluelustreak> Two! Count em two! Is that a first?
21:53 < jokeefe> oh yes
21:53 < Bluelustreak> in the nation two on tha ballot in one state?
21:54 < jokeefe> well, fundraising too
21:54 < Bluelustreak> ALready thinking about it
21:54 < Bluelustreak> Here or at the club
21:54 < jokeefe> FL has tried, not sure they succeeded.  WI might
21:54 < Bluelustreak> Noe might use the VFW in Somerville?
21:55 < Bluelustreak> Near ur house jokeefe?
21:55 < jokeefe> it is in the district
21:55 < Bluelustreak> yup
21:55 < srevilak> Time is 21:55.  Anything remaining on the agenda?
21:56 < jokeefe> In the time we have - what should we do for June 5th, Reset the Net?
21:56 < jokeefe> besides announce we support https
21:56 < Bluelustreak> Move to discuss it nest week
21:57 < Bluelustreak> SO MUCH TO DO THIS WEEK
21:57 < jokeefe> 2nd
21:57 < Bluelustreak> Vote?
21:57 < JCFiero> aye
21:57 < Bluelustreak> aye
21:57 < jokeefe> aye
21:57 < Joe> meow
21:57 < Joe> I mean eye
21:58 < Joe> aye
21:58 < Bluelustreak> LOL
21:58 < Joe> one of those is the correct answer
21:58 < JCFiero> pie!
21:58 < Kendra> aye
21:58 < JCFiero> pie is always the correct answer
21:58 < Bluelustreak> everybody likes pie!
21:58 < srevilak> jokeefe: For June 5th, I vote for forcing https
21:58 < jokeefe> aye
21:58 < Bluelustreak> Zzzzzz
21:59 < Kendra> aye
21:59 < jokeefe> motion passes
21:59 < jokeefe> srevilak would you post the log?
21:59 < srevilak> jokeefe: will do
21:59 < Bluelustreak> TYVM
22:00 < jokeefe> have a good night all, thanks!
22:00 < srevilak> motion to adjourn?
22:00 < Bluelustreak> Move to adjourn? 
22:00 < Bluelustreak> 2nd aye
22:00 < Kendra> aye
22:00 < srevilak> aye to adjourn
22:00 < Bluelustreak> Kissy huggy ppl
22:00 < JCFiero> aye mateys
22:00 < Bluelustreak> ciao.