May 15th, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Museum of Science Cryptoparty

MassMesh Tech Meeting

Decisions/Endorsements

S.2823 - A bill to modernize copyright law, and for other purposes

S.2823 would extend some cherry-picked parts of federal copyright to cover sound recordings made between 1923 and 1972, which are currently covered only by a patchwork of state laws. It would force streaming services to get licenses for those recordings, even though all that does is create a new subsidy for rightsholders (which are usually record labels and not artists) and make it harder for music fans to listen to old recordings. EFF action page

The House Bill is H.3301 which doesn't appear to have been approved yet.

Now would be a good time to oppose these bills, make a petition and meet with MA House Reps. and Senators.

Free Reality Winner

Projects

Statements

Video Newsletter

Week in review set for Sunday. What time?

Party Conference

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Statements In Process

  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for.
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Tech/Outreach

  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install slack alternative (jokeefe)

Upcoming Events

  • 5/15, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 5/22, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 5/29, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 5/30, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • 6/5, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • 6/7, 6pm, Mass MeshNet General Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 6/27, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • Cambridge Pirate Meetup
  • Democracy/IT meeting. Email info@masspirates.org for the location
  • Somerville Pirate Meetup

Participants

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • igel
  • hvxgr

Summary

Minutes

 


[9:07pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_15th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:07pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:07pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:07pm] Pirate_85981: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:08pm] jokeefe: anything to add?
[9:10pm] hvxgr_: No.
[9:10pm] Pirate_85981: Peace talks with North K.
[9:10pm] hvxgr_: (Tom Rodman / Milwaukee)
[9:10pm] Malt: samuel capradae, worcester
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Not looking hopeful Pirate_85981
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Review
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Museum of Science Cryptoparty
[9:11pm] Pirate_85981 is now known as Pirate_Joe.
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Nearly 60 people
[9:12pm] Malt: whoa!
[9:12pm] hvxgr_:
[9:12pm] Malt: good work everyone!
[9:13pm] jokeefe: It went well and heard another group asked me to speak
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Hopefully another one next year
[9:13pm] jokeefe: We’ll see
[9:14pm] Pirate_Joe: I think that's great though
[9:15pm] jokeefe: MassMesh Tech Meeting - Got two wifi access points working. Weekly tech meetings now. Hopefully we will have how to instructions soon
[9:15pm] Malt: nice
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: ^
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:17pm] jokeefe: S.2823 - A bill to modernize copyright law, and for other purposes
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Looks like Congress is trying to extend copyright on recordings further back in time
[9:18pm] Malt: again
[9:18pm] Malt: ??
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: or include more online things
[9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: they may try and put a hamper on internet trolls like how they are doing in Britian
[9:19pm] jokeefe: streaming services would need to get licenses for recordings from 1923 to 1972
[9:19pm] Malt: well that's not so bad
[9:19pm] Malt:
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: it is actually
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: it's really bad
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: Fair use will go right out the window and Disney will win
[9:21pm] jokeefe: one effect
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Giving recording copyright to dead people
[9:22pm] Malt: whattttt
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: Yup
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: So you would have to pay the estate of the maker
[9:22pm] Malt: so perpetual copyright
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: Yup
[9:22pm] jokeefe: getting close
[9:23pm] jokeefe: so any objections to opposing it and trying to get our senators/reps to oppose it?
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: I oppose
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: Though I would be interested in seeing the actual wording of it.
[9:24pm] Malt: noine
[9:24pm] jokeefe: I linked to both bill texts
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Pirate_Joe, so you oppose the bill or oppose opposing the bill?
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: I oppose the bill though the wording is not on congress.gov quite yet
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: I just think I already know the usual suspects and this fast one they are trying to pull.
[9:26pm] jokeefe: if they don’t include the text, it cannot be good
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: no bueno
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Here is the house bill text https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/3301/text?r=1
[9:27pm] Malt: that'll make for a fun read
[9:28pm] jokeefe: ok, I will write up a statement and put up a petition
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Free Reality Winner
[9:29pm] jokeefe: We never decided to whether to support her case
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: Please also post this petition to Change.org or when it is done I will do it.
[9:29pm] Malt: i support her work
[9:29pm] jokeefe: bill or reality winner?
[9:30pm] Malt: she's next in line to be chelsea manning
[9:30pm] Malt: winner
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: bill
[9:30pm] jokeefe: ok, will do, Pirate_Joe
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: Ty sir
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_Winner
[9:31pm] jokeefe: https://theintercept.com/2017/12/05/reality-winner-trial-nsa-russia-election/
[9:32pm] jokeefe: https://standwithreality.org/
[9:32pm] jokeefe: thoughts?
[9:33pm] Malt: i'm baffled she's not more popular
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: I do not know enough of the situation, this is the first time I have heard of her.
[9:34pm] Malt: i mean probably had something to do with getting caught so quickly
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Would you prefer to defer the decision to next week, Pirate_Joe?
[9:35pm] jokeefe: to have time to review?
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:36pm] Pirate_63228 joined the chat room.
[9:36pm] Pirate_63228: Not sure what happened there
[9:38pm] jokeefe: weird
[9:38pm] Pirate_63228: I am on my wifu's comp, so who knows
[9:40pm] Pirate_63228 is now known as Joe.
[9:40pm] jokeefe: Would you prefer to defer the decision to next week, Pirate_Joe?
[9:42pm] Joe: Nay, I doubt she would have taken the risk unless some shady shit was going on. I am happy to give her support for doing the right thing.
[9:42pm] Malt: nice!
[9:42pm] Joe: I just am not sure what was the full story is but I will know asap
[9:43pm] Joe: As you may have guessed though, I am keen on the text with the bill.
[9:44pm] Joe: It looks like a move to further put a hamper on Google's Youtube and similar platforms such as file sharing.
[9:44pm] jokeefe: I will write up a statement and send it out for review then
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Projects Status
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Statements - update Malt?
[9:45pm] Malt: They're ready to be posted
[9:46pm] Malt: filled out the ally form for freedom MA, don't think there's one for safe patient limits
[9:46pm] jokeefe: Do you want to post them to the blog?
[9:47pm] Malt: I've long since forgotten my login, but sure
[9:47pm] jokeefe: I’ll reset your password
[9:47pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:47pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter
[9:48pm] jokeefe: What time this Sunday works for you all?  The poll had two votes for 5pm, and 1 for the other times
[9:49pm] Joe: I have my son for the next two weekends so unfortunately neither time works for me.
[9:49pm] Malt: I just did it!
[9:49pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:49pm] Joe: We may have to do it without me. 
[9:49pm] Malt: There IS a form for safe patient limits, i'll post these once i hear from the groups
[9:50pm] jokeefe: ARe there other dates that work better for you both?
[9:50pm] jokeefe: thanks, Malt
[9:51pm] Joe: My son is a handful so I would have to do it later in the evening. If that time does not work it's ok since this is one that does not need me.
[9:51pm] Joe: The focus of this one is more of a longer and relaxed podcast about current events. Something that both you and Malt are much better at keeping on top of.
[9:51pm] jokeefe: My late time on Sunday is probably 11pm
[9:52pm] jokeefe: More fun with three
[9:52pm] Joe: True
[9:52pm] Joe: Any interest from our national party?
[9:52pm] jokeefe: none that I have seen
[9:53pm] Joe: too bad
[9:53pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:54pm] Malt:
[9:54pm] jokeefe: Any week day evenings work ?
[9:54pm] Malt: i sometimes have things mondays and thursdays, but not often
[9:55pm] jokeefe: What about Wednesday?
[9:55pm] Malt: thursday's going to be increasingly tricky in the future, my friend with freedom MA has asked me to help organize
[9:55pm] Malt: should be fine
[9:55pm] Joe: Wednesday works for me
[9:56pm] Joe: We could do it tomorrow if you like, though again I have to do it after 7
[9:56pm] jokeefe: Sorry, have a conflict
[9:57pm] jokeefe: The 23rd at 9pm?
[9:57pm] Malt: i thiiiiiink i'm busy then
[9:57pm] Joe: how about next Tuesday at 8?
[9:58pm] Joe: That way we will have a hard end time.
[9:58pm] jokeefe: Unfortunately not
[9:59pm] jokeefe: Does this Monday work for you, Malt?
[9:59pm] Malt: sure!
[9:59pm] Joe: 9pm?
[9:59pm] Malt: ok
[9:59pm] Joe: That works well for me too.
[9:59pm] jokeefe: 9pm works
[10:00pm] jokeefe: Monday at 9pm it is then. will schedule it and tell the national people
[10:00pm] Joe: Perfect
[10:00pm] jokeefe: I don’t have any other updates
[10:00pm] Joe: I just wanted to do a statement for the peace talks
[10:00pm] Joe: It seems the Trump/Kim talks are still on
[10:01pm] jokeefe: ok, want to write one up and mail it out. I am quite in favor of ending the Korean War.
[10:01pm] Joe: As much as I don't want to support Trump, I do support the ending of the fighting with N.K./S.K. as well less nukes in the world
[10:01pm] Malt: i've still got friends over there
[10:02pm] Joe: Do you want to write it Malt?
[10:02pm] Joe: Your better at statements than I am.
[10:03pm] Joe: Though I will do it if you do not want to invest the time.
[10:04pm] Malt: i'd like to wait until we know they're happening
[10:04pm] Malt: i have a feeling they might still fall through
[10:04pm] Joe: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44133308
[10:05pm] Joe: I am sure he will still meet with Trump and then do something dumb
[10:05pm] Joe: He met with S.K.
[10:05pm] jokeefe: one of them will
[10:05pm] Joe: or both
[10:05pm] jokeefe: tis true
[10:05pm] jokeefe: we are at time. revisit next meeting?
[10:06pm] Joe: Sounds good
[10:06pm] Malt: yeah
[10:06pm] jokeefe: ok. shall we adjourn then?
[10:06pm] Joe: I second
[10:07pm] hvxgr_: Good night all.
[10:07pm] Joe: Aye, good night
[10:07pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:07pm] Malt: night
[10:07pm] jokeefe: good night all