May 1st, 2012 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Agenda

1. May 12th Film Fest Schedule

2. JP on the ballot

3. Upcoming Events

4. National Party stuff

5. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot?

6. Anything else others want to bring up.

Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:

1. May 12th Film Fest

Up on the site. Facebook & Meetup events done. Poster done, just need to get it out.

2. Get JP on the ballot

3. Upcoming events

  • May 5th - Wake Up The Earth, JP
  • May 12th: Film Festival, see below
  • June: Boston Pride

4. National Party stuff

5. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot?

Jamie didn't post a request for public policy questions due to CISPA & the film fest.

Attending

  • jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville
  • erixoltan - Erik Zoltan, Framingham
  • SplendidSpoon - Lauren Pespisa, Boxboro/Cambridge
  • Brady - Washington State
  • multiple observers including passstab & illunati1

Summary

1. Film Fest

Schedule by Hour

  • 3pm Sneeze Me Away (14) / Steamboat Willie (8) / ... / Copying is not Theft & All Creative Work Is Derivative (3)
  • 4pm - The $8 billion iPod (5) / Steal This Film 2 (44) / Drew Curtis; How I beat a patent troll /
  • 5pm - Open Source Cancer Research TED Talks (13) / Patent Absurdity (30) / Innovation in Fashion Industry TED talk (15)
  • 6pm - 6:30pm - Rick Falkvinge I am a Pirate TED Talk (15) / Government Crowdsourcing TED Talk (12)
  • 6:30pm - 7:00pm - break time
  • 7:00pm - 7:30pm - Pioneer One Eps 1
  • 7:30pm - 8:00pm - Otherworlds shorts? (Kitty Kitty, The Third Letter, ITD, Candy)
  • 8pm - 9:30pm - Night of the Living Dead

2. Get JP on the ballot

Has 270 signatures. Handing them in.

3. Upcoming events

  • May 4/5th - ROFLCon - Lauren planning to go
  • May 5th - Wake Up The Earth - Lauren & Lucia can be there
  • June 9th - Boston Pride - need to setup an event & call people.

4. National Party stuff

5. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot?

Will post for questions. Details of the 2010 dates at http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepubpol/pubpol.htm

Meeting Minutes

<nowiki>

[12:02] <jokeefe> meeting agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=May_1st,_2012_IRC_Meeting [12:02] <jokeefe> Item 0: [12:02] <jokeefe> ids [12:02] <jokeefe> James O'Keefe, Somerville [12:03] <erixoltan> Erik Zoltan, Framingham [12:04] <erixoltan> my system is unstable at the moment, I may be forced to reboot but I'm trying not to. Don't be alarmed if I suddenly vanish... [12:05] <jokeefe> yeah, I lost a connection to freenode [12:05] <jokeefe> somebody wake up Hicks [12:06] <jokeefe> BTW: added this to the wiki: http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=Quick_and_Dirty_Guide_to_Starting_a_Pirate_Chapter [12:08] <jokeefe> Moving on: Item 1. May 12th Film Fest [12:08] <jokeefe> Up on the site. Facebook & Meetup events done. Poster done, just need to get it out. [12:08] <erixoltan> is that a local chapter or a state chapter? [12:08] <jokeefe> either [12:08] <erixoltan> ah ok [12:09] <erixoltan> nice poster [12:10] <SplendidSpoon> lauren Pespisa - Cambridge, MA [12:10] <SplendidSpoon> sorry I got pulled away [12:11] <jokeefe> no problem [12:11] <erixoltan> My wife printed out 10 color copies of the poster and will put some of them up at Brandeis. [12:11] <jokeefe> cool [12:11] <jokeefe> when the rain is gone, i will put them up in Cambridge/Somerville [12:12] <jokeefe> I think colleges are a good places to put them up [12:12] <jokeefe> Splendid, you have MIT area? [12:14] <SplendidSpoon> Sure [12:14] <jokeefe> thanks! [12:14] <SplendidSpoon> Actually, ROFLCon is on Saturday [12:14] <jokeefe> ROFLCon? [12:15] <SplendidSpoon> Internet meme convention [12:15] <jokeefe> where? [12:15] <SplendidSpoon> http://roflcon.org/ [12:15] <SplendidSpoon> MIT land [12:15] <erixoltan> awesome [12:15] <SplendidSpoon> 77 Mass Ave [12:15] <SplendidSpoon> Yes and my friend is speaking [12:16] <SplendidSpoon> She's a anthropolist who researches anonymous.... [12:16] <SplendidSpoon> I really wanted to go and see her speak [12:16] <SplendidSpoon> But I think the [12:16] <jokeefe> cool [12:16] <SplendidSpoon> Wake up the earth thing is the same day right [12:16] <SplendidSpoon> ? [12:16] <jokeefe> yes, but I haven't gotten confirmation that we have a table from Lucia yet [12:16] <SplendidSpoon> ok [12:17] <SplendidSpoon> Well ROFLcon is Fri and Sat [12:17] <jokeefe> will tell you when i know [12:17] <SplendidSpoon> Was Lucia planning on manning the table? [12:17] <SplendidSpoon> I know I said I would but....now I know about ROFLcon..... [12:17] <jokeefe> She mentioned that she could for some of it, but need to confirm. [12:18] <jokeefe> I know she has been busy with family. [12:18] <jokeefe> I will check my schedule. might be able to be there in the afternoon [12:18] <SplendidSpoon> My friend speaks at 11 [12:19] <SplendidSpoon> Do we have new pamphlets printed? [12:20] <SplendidSpoon> I think the ROFLcon attendees would actually be a really good group to reach out to [12:20] <jokeefe> no, but will be by Friday [12:20] <jokeefe> agree [12:20] <jokeefe> Would it be better if you worked out the schedule with Lucia or should I? [12:20] <erixoltan> I can't help, I have a son with his 10th birthday party. [12:21] <SplendidSpoon> ooooh happy birthday to him :D [12:21] <jokeefe> yay! [12:21] <SplendidSpoon> Do you know the time that wake up the earth is at? [12:21] <erixoltan> Imagine a room full of nerdy boys playing dungeons and dragons while they eat cake... [12:21] <jokeefe> lol [12:21] <SplendidSpoon> Sounds like ROFLcon actually lol [12:22] <erixoltan> lmao [12:22] <jokeefe> my son would be minecraft & eating cake [12:22] <SplendidSpoon> my son would be....wait nvm [12:22] <jokeefe> :-) [12:22] <SplendidSpoon> ok well I'm going to get a ROFLcon pass bc I REALLY wanna go [12:22] <jokeefe> For the film fest: erix, will you have the videos on a computer? [12:22] <SplendidSpoon> I'd wear Pirate Gear and bring pamphlets to it as well [12:22] <erixoltan> Yeah, I was thinking about how to handle that. I got the idea to make a DVD so that the films would queue themselves up or something. [12:23] <jokeefe> I can get the projector to SplendidSpoon [12:23] <SplendidSpoon> Projector to me? [12:23] <erixoltan> Either way I'll make sure to have them. I don't have night of the living dead. [12:24] <jokeefe> pirate bay? since it is public domain now? [12:24] <erixoltan> Will take a look. Would be embarrassing if we couldn't get it. [12:25] <jokeefe> rip from dvd, again since in the public domain? [12:26] <erixoltan> Yeah, I'll work on getting it and let you know. [12:27] <jokeefe> I cannot make it until later, kids soccer, so ok if I get you the projector, Splendid? [12:27] <SplendidSpoon> Projector for what? [12:27] <erixoltan> What is the resolution on that projector? [12:27] <SplendidSpoon> the film festival? [12:28] <erixoltan> What is Night of the Living Dead Re-Animation?? [12:28] <jokeefe> same as the one we used last time. 720p? [12:29] <jokeefe> spinoff [12:29] <erixoltan> aha. Will skip that one. [12:29] <jokeefe> by guy who worked with Romero on the first one [12:29] <jokeefe> but not the later ones [12:32] <erixoltan> I'm downloading the movie now. [12:32] <jokeefe> k [12:32] <jokeefe> So Item 2. JP on the ballot [12:32] <jokeefe> He says he has 270 signatures and is handing them in [12:32] <jokeefe> Should be enough to get on the ballot. [12:33] <erixoltan> HOLY MOLEY that's amazingly good news. [12:33] <erixoltan> Is he the first to actually make it on the ballot for US Rep then? [12:34] <jokeefe> State rep. I think Ryan Moffit is on in FL. They just have to pay a filing fee. [12:38] <SplendidSpoon> Ok guys I confirmed going to ROFLcon at MIT on sat morn, if I can get the posters and pamphlets from someone before that I will wear pirate gear and put up posters and pass out pamphlets while I'm there [12:38] <SplendidSpoon> also I'm relieved JP got the sigs [12:38] <erixoltan> Do you want some posters sent to you? [12:38] <jokeefe> I will get pamphlets to you. the poster is on the website. [12:38] <SplendidSpoon> Sure [12:38] <SplendidSpoon> ok cool [12:38] <jokeefe> or that works [12:38] <jokeefe> We have pretty much covered upcoming events except pride. [12:39] <SplendidSpoon> ok [12:40] <erixoltan> Download complete. [12:41] <SplendidSpoon> So what needs to be done for Pride [12:41] <jokeefe> get people to it [12:41] <jokeefe> marching mostly. [12:41] <SplendidSpoon> Well I have to go to a meeting about it right? [12:41] <jokeefe> that to. [12:41] <SplendidSpoon> I never got any emails or anything about it [12:42] <jokeefe> hmmm... will send you what I am getting [12:42] <SplendidSpoon> ok [12:42] <jokeefe> need to ask for more marshalls too [12:42] <jokeefe> If I give you some people to call, either of you have time to call them and see if they can attend either the film fest or pride? [12:43] <SplendidSpoon> When do you want us to call>? [12:44] <jokeefe> whenever you have time.

[12:46] <jokeefe> Any 4. National Party stuff we need to cover? [12:47] <jokeefe> BTW: On 5. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot? - I haven't done anything I said I would do, what with the film fest and CISPA [12:48] <erixoltan> Somebody told me there's already going to be a legalization question on the ballot, do you know? [12:48] <erixoltan> Or medical marijuana, come to think of it. [12:49] <jokeefe> right, but that is something different [12:49] <jokeefe> public policy questions are not binding [12:50] <erixoltan> So it would be a nonbinding ballot question? [12:52] <erixoltan> There's a recent gallupp poll showing that for the first time a majority support legalization of marijuana. Privacy on the internet would be another issue where I think we'd have public support. [12:53] <jokeefe> yes, public policy question as opposed to a statewide ballot question [12:53] <jokeefe> agreed. [12:53] <erixoltan> I'm not familiar with the process but those are my thoughts. It would attract attention if we tried to get something on the ballot and might increase our membership. Plus we might succeed. [12:54] <jokeefe> I think if CISPA passes then we could have a simple: should you have the same right to privacy you expect in your home or mail on the Internet. [12:54] <jokeefe> it would set the stage for a bill we could introduce in the next session. [12:55] <erixoltan> Agreed. In some ways the more controversial the better - we might not get a lot of support but we'd certainly make some news. [12:57] <erixoltan> How about a dollar cap on legal penalties for file sharing - not more than the retail cost of the material that was downloaded? [12:57] <jokeefe> the aim is to have a lot of support. privacy = motherhood and apple pie [12:57] <jokeefe> isn't that conceeding the issue? [12:58] <erixoltan> No, it's like decriminalizing pot as a stepping stone to legalization. [12:59] <jokeefe> hmmm.... feels like Churchill's quote that ends with "we are just haggling over the price" [12:59] <jokeefe> Any national stuff we should discuss? [12:59] <erixoltan> What's the deadline for these public policy questions, and what's the threshold for getting them on the ballot? [13:00] == Brady [~Grizzly@static-50-34-13-58.evrt.wa.frontiernet.net] has joined #masspirates [13:01] <jokeefe> From 2010, but the dates are roughly right - http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepubpol/pubpol.htm [13:01] <jokeefe> have until July to get sigs [13:01] <jokeefe> 200 sigs from any valid voter [13:01] <erixoltan> OK let me think about it and let's come back to it next week. [13:02] <jokeefe> hi Brady [13:02] <jokeefe> welcome [13:02] <Brady> Sorry I'm a bit late to the party. [13:02] <erixoltan> USPP has a new set of officers and there are meetings tonite and tomorrow. [13:03] <erixoltan> That's all I know. [13:04] <jokeefe> ok, thanks [13:05] <jokeefe> well, that is all I got. suggestions for next week's agenda? [13:07] <erixoltan> ways to increase membership. [13:07] <Brady> What is Massachusett's position on the Pirate Wheel? [13:07] <erixoltan> As an agenda item? [13:07] <erixoltan> Or are you just asking? [13:08] <Brady> As an agenda item. [13:08] <jokeefe> good suggestion, erixoltan, will add it [13:08] <Brady> I plan to introduce it at Washington's Board Meeting Friday. [13:09] <Brady> Though not all of his conclusions may be totally acceptable to the average American at first glance...he does seem to capture Pirate principles fairly eloquently. [13:09] <erixoltan> Will be interesting to hear what they say. I think it's a good question because some people see it as an invitation to expand beyond 3 issues, and others see it differently in some way that I don't understand. [13:09] <Brady> I did see your post, Eric. [13:10] <jokeefe> need to reread it myself. [13:10] <Brady> I personally was attracted to far more than just copyright reform. [13:10] <Brady> Sorry, Erik* [13:10] <erixoltan> np. [13:11] <erixoltan> I am going to form a faction or a splinter group that will expand radically beyond 3 issues. [13:11] <Brady> Not sure if that is necessary. [13:11] == GrimJack [~Grimjack@24-177-35-99.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com] has quit [Quit: Leaving.] [13:11] <jokeefe> please no splinter groups [13:11] <Brady> All it takes is consensus on shared principles. [13:12] <SplendidSpoon> We are "party of OPEN" here [13:12] <erixoltan> My thought is that it may be better to have a faction that agrees on certain issues than to try to move everyone against their will. [13:12] <jokeefe> aye [13:12] <SplendidSpoon> So we support open government, open culture [13:12] <jokeefe> aye to OPEN, though factions within the pirates aren't bad [13:12] <SplendidSpoon> Which are pirate-y but also can apply to social issues [13:13] <SplendidSpoon> MA is quite liberal on social issues, and i think saying we are OPEN means that too