May 23rd, 2013 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


  1. Committee Reports
  2. National Affairs
  3. Scheduled Events
    1. Together Boston/Another World's Fair - May 18th
    2. Security BSides - May 18th
    3. March Against Monsanto, May 25th
    4. AnimeBoston - Hynes Convention Center, May 24-26th.
    5. Boston Pride Parade - June 8th
  4. Events we should be at
    1. Support Bradley Manning - June 1st, 1pm, ParkSt.
    2. Int'l Day of Privacy Protest - June 1st, 2:30-6pm, Roxbury Fusion Center
  5. Conference
    1. Flyers
    2. Speakers & Schedule
    3. Logistics

Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:

srevilak moved the wiki over to the new site. Jamie made some dns changes on a test domain.

Sevan working on a site for a monthly dinner.

Ordered 2000 1/4 page conference fliers and 500 of the old fliers. Dana is working on a new flier design.



  • Bluestreak: Lucia Fiero
  • srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington
  • Kendra: Kendra Moyer, Arlington
  • black_van - Sevan
  • jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville


  • passstab
  • illunatic
  • davidd: David van Deijk, Eindhoven, NL
  • rocode


National Affairs


Together Boston/Another World's Fair - May 18th

Lauren, Lucia, Kendra & Jamie will be at it

Security BSides - May 18

Jamie has tickets, but may not be able to make it there. Kendra willing to attend in his place, drop off fliers and look for panelists.

AnimeBoston - Hynes Convention Center, May 24-26th

We have someone who is willing to drop off conference fliers.

Boston Pride Parade - June 8th

Seven marchers so far.

Int'l Day of Privacy Protest - June 1st


Bradley Manning Event - June 1st




Ordered 2000 of the 1/4 page.

Speakers & Schedule

Have the following panels:

  • Crowdfunding
  • Open Gov.
  • Government surveillance in 2020

Other suggestions:

  • Old and new cyber security legislation
  • Don't Agonize, Organize!

srevilak will ask if we can go longer.

Finishing the discussion on email.

Meeting Minutes


jokeefe: hi [9:36pm] srevilak: key jokeefe [9:36pm] Bluestreak: Hey, Jamie! [9:36pm] Kendra: Hi Jamie [9:38pm] Bluestreak: We skipped around bit. No one here was planning on being at the MAM, so we put that off unitl you got here... [9:38pm] Bluestreak: Kendra wanted to know about the "float" in the Pride Parade. [9:38pm] jokeefe: o k [9:39pm] Bluestreak: Do you want to talk about MAM? [9:39pm] jokeefe: There are some others who said they will attend, so it should be good [9:39pm] jokeefe: is ok, will get an email blast out tonight. [9:39pm] Bluestreak: Where is the meeting point? [9:39pm] jokeefe: boston city hall plaza 2pm [9:39pm] Bluestreak: Cool. Thanks! [9:40pm] Bluestreak: Landmark, maybe? [9:40pm] Bluestreak: The T kiosk? Is the kettle still there? [9:40pm] jokeefe: no idea [9:41pm] Bluestreak: Oh. I thought you would be there. [9:41pm] jokeefe: ah [9:41pm] jokeefe: sorry misunderstood [9:41pm] jokeefe: Yes, by the MBTA stop would be good. [9:42pm] jokeefe: will put that in the announcement [9:42pm] Bluestreak: So... you *aren't* going? [9:42pm] jokeefe: I will be there [9:42pm] Bluestreak: Yay, clarification! [9:43pm] jokeefe: Anyone going to the June 1st events - manning protest or Fusion center protest? [9:43pm] Bluestreak: If you want to tell us about the Parade Props? [9:43pm] Bluestreak: I will be at Manning only [9:44pm] Bluestreak: jokeefe Kendra was interested in the parade props [9:44pm] jokeefe: ok, good, since I will be at neither unfortunately. [9:44pm] Bluestreak: No one else present will be at either June 1st events [9:45pm] Bluestreak: I can do it by myself. [9:45pm] jokeefe: sigh, lives intervene [9:45pm] Bluestreak: I hear ya! [9:46pm] jokeefe: Boston Pride - I'll bring the pirate ship. Can mount cameras, but thinking about that. Having the Pirate ship push NSA agents out of the way might be a better image [9:46pm] feedbot: [Twitter] masspirates: RT @publicknowledge: Ask @whitehouse to support #books4blindtreaty! Sign the petition now... - [9:46pm] Bluestreak: And less work! [9:46pm] jokeefe: Yes [9:47pm] Bluestreak: I want to get boots on the ground... [9:47pm] Bluestreak: How to maximize turnout? [9:47pm] Bluestreak: Is Lauren out out? [9:47pm] jokeefe: Still like the idea of NSA agents in the crowd looking over people's shoulders and listening to their conversations. Having a fake microphone might work. [9:48pm] jokeefe: She is very tired and taking a break. [9:48pm] Bluestreak: Should we bring up our first officer? [9:48pm] Bluestreak: Indefinitely [9:48pm] Bluestreak: So we will need a new first officer. [9:49pm] Bluestreak: ? [9:49pm] jokeefe: Yes, sorry, been dealing with work matters and have been tired myself. [9:49pm] Bluestreak: No need to apologize [9:49pm] Bluestreak: Let's talk about it now. [9:49pm] jokeefe: I suggest we elect a temporary replacement (though aren't we all) and pick a date for a formal election. [9:50pm] jokeefe: Lets finish pride. [9:50pm] Bluestreak: So I open the floor for nominations of interim first officer [9:50pm] Bluestreak: Oops [9:50pm] jokeefe: Any questions on pride? [9:50pm] Bluestreak: (Feel free to take over anytime!) [9:50pm] jokeefe: sorry [9:51pm] Bluestreak: No seriously [9:51pm] Kendra: are you doing a big card board boat? [9:51pm] Bluestreak: I always prefer when you run this. [9:51pm] jokeefe: I think that is a better imagery [9:52pm] Bluestreak: What is? [9:52pm] Bluestreak: Will we have the radio flyer ship again? [9:52pm] jokeefe: having NSA agents being scattered by pirates and our ship. [9:52pm] jokeefe: yes, I will bring it. [9:53pm] Bluestreak: I haz sword! [9:53pm] jokeefe: yay! [9:53pm] Bluestreak: (iz plastic) [9:53pm] Bluestreak: Mayhaps I can pick up a few more kiddie scimitars. [9:53pm] jokeefe: good idea [9:54pm] Bluestreak: For the other Pirates [9:54pm] jokeefe: any other suggestions / observations ? [9:54pm] Bluestreak: And cheap black glasses for the agents. [9:54pm] Bluestreak: At the party store. I will pick those up when I stock the first aid kit. [9:55pm] Kendra: How many Pirates expected for Pride? [9:55pm] Bluestreak: 3 marshals t least [9:56pm] Bluestreak: And Steve! [9:56pm] srevilak: We had ~ a dozen last year. Hopefully at least that many this year [9:56pm] jokeefe: seven so far, need to find / exhort more [9:56pm] Bluestreak: I will make a Facebook event [9:56pm] jokeefe: this looks like a cool prop - [9:56pm] Bluestreak: I will just everyone I know see who it sticks to. [9:56pm] jokeefe: though could make something simpler [9:57pm] Bluestreak: You think? Not for less money [9:57pm] Bluestreak: I will pay for one. perhaps get 3? [9:57pm] jokeefe: "Super ears for young super spies" [9:57pm] jokeefe: joy [9:57pm] srevilak: There's a positive side to that [9:57pm] Bluestreak: Do tell [9:58pm] srevilak: Take the most sophisticated stuff the govt has to spy on us [9:58pm] srevilak: In a few years, it will turn into consumer devices [9:58pm] jokeefe: looks pretty consumer now [9:58pm] srevilak: They can watch us [9:58pm] srevilak: we can watch them [9:58pm] jokeefe: we watch them? [9:58pm] Bluestreak: *INVITE* Just *INVITE* [9:58pm] Bluestreak: Go on... [9:59pm] srevilak: If we're about Open Govt, then there's nothing wrong with opening govt [10:00pm] jokeefe: aye! [10:00pm] srevilak: done digressing [10:00pm] Bluestreak: OK... [10:00pm] jokeefe: anything else for pride? [10:00pm] Bluestreak: *defers to the captain* [10:01pm] Bluestreak: We need to establish who will be what [10:01pm] Bluestreak: So we don't have too many of one or the other... [10:02pm] Bluestreak: I will make it part of the event: Chose your role! [10:02pm] Bluestreak: Can you share my event, too, James? [10:03pm] jokeefe: sure [10:03pm] jokeefe: good idea! [10:03pm] jokeefe: will put it in the announcement that goes out tonight. [10:03pm] Kendra: I wanted to suggest for signage at Pride cutting out cardboard signs in the shape of boats. If you can't tell I envision lots of boats. [10:03pm] Bluestreak: Thanks. I will ask more Pirates too as well. [10:04pm] jokeefe: do people want to carry boats for three hours? [10:04pm] Bluestreak: Will we have signs? I thought we were going to chase the NSA? [10:04pm] jokeefe: cutlasses are lighter [10:04pm] jokeefe: We need NSA signs on the backs and fronts of the NSA agents [10:05pm] Bluestreak: And more fun! [10:05pm] Bluestreak: Huh. Like... paper? [10:05pm] jokeefe: Stickers or on cardboard, laminated paper, whatever will last [10:06pm] jokeefe: can we use the NSA's logo? [10:06pm] jokeefe: never mind of course we can [10:06pm] Bluestreak: Ooh I have that! [10:06pm] Bluestreak: lol we're PIRATES! [10:06pm] Bluestreak: I have mucho sticker paper. [10:06pm] Bluestreak: I can print those. [10:06pm] srevilak: NSA logo reminds me of sam the muppet [10:07pm] Bluestreak: Send me an image you want me to use. [10:07pm] jokeefe: hmm, type is pretty small [10:07pm] jokeefe: lol [10:07pm] Bluestreak: Just "NSA" in bold arial is good, too [10:07pm] jokeefe: aye [10:08pm] jokeefe: sorry, it is getting late and I don't want to keep folks up to long, lets discuss this on email [10:08pm] Bluestreak: Two to a sticker page, one for front one for back [10:08pm] You were promoted to operator by illunatic. [10:08pm] Bluestreak: You got it, boss. [10:08pm] jokeefe: So, Lauren decided to step down. She is very busy and needs to marshal her energy. [10:08pm] jokeefe: We need a new 1st officer [10:08pm] Bluestreak: poor kid. [10:09pm] jokeefe: We need someone in the interim, but also need to have more formal elections for all positions. [10:11pm] jokeefe: Perhaps we could call for nominations by the end of the convention for all positions, then do a mail ballot over the next month or so after it. [10:11pm] srevilak: jokeefe: that sounds reasonable [10:12pm] Bluestreak: Nominations how? email list? [10:14pm] Bluestreak: At the convention? [10:15pm] jokeefe: yes, email and at the convention [10:15pm] Bluestreak: OK [10:15pm] Bluestreak: So agreed then? [10:15pm] Kendra: Sounds good [10:15pm] jokeefe: 2nd? [10:16pm] Kendra: sure i'll 2nd [10:16pm] Bluestreak: 2nd [10:16pm] jokeefe: all in favor? [10:16pm] jokeefe: aye [10:16pm] Bluestreak: aye [10:16pm] srevilak: aye [10:16pm] black_van left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed) [10:17pm] Bluestreak: When will we talk about the meeting *after* the IPM about Quartemastering? [10:17pm] Kendra: aye [10:18pm] jokeefe: sounds good, Bluestreak [10:18pm] jokeefe: all opposed [10:18pm] Bluestreak: Just confirm that Kendra can stay late as well [10:18pm] Bluestreak: As if she can come it will be with you and Steve. [10:19pm] jokeefe: good point [10:19pm] Kendra: I am not sure, do you mean on the 16th? [10:19pm] jokeefe: General Meeting [10:19pm] jokeefe: In-person meeting [10:20pm] Bluestreak: I don't like being in the dark about my responsibilities. [10:20pm] Kendra: I should be able to stay out later, nothing planned that night. [10:20pm] srevilak: I can stay late as well [10:20pm] Bluestreak: Jamie Steve and I were thinking about meeting after the meeting. [10:20pm] jokeefe: to go over quartermaster stuff [10:21pm] Bluestreak: How long do we need, and hour? [10:21pm] jokeefe: shouldn't be more than [10:21pm] Bluestreak: I invited folks to stay after for a "social hour" [10:21pm] Kendra: What is quarter mastering? [10:21pm] Bluestreak: Jason can entertain them. [10:22pm] srevilak: Kendra: treasurer [10:22pm] Bluestreak: Pirate term for treasurer/secretry [10:22pm] Kendra: Thanks [10:22pm] Bluestreak: What I am. [10:24pm] Bluestreak: So it's settled or? [10:24pm] jokeefe: yes, lets meet [10:24pm] Bluestreak: Motion to have after meeting meeting [10:25pm] Bluestreak: [10:25pm] jokeefe: lets just do it [10:25pm] jokeefe: arrrr [10:25pm] Bluestreak: Sounds good to me! [10:26pm] jokeefe: so interim 1st officer? [10:26pm] jokeefe: email for candidates, elect at the next IRC chat? [10:26pm] jokeefe: anyone interested in doing is? [10:26pm] jokeefe: it? [10:27pm] srevilak: emailing for candidates, or being a candidate? [10:28pm] jokeefe: being [10:28pm] Bluestreak: Oh... I volunteer. [10:28pm] jokeefe: and emailing [10:29pm] jokeefe: thanks, Bluestreak [10:29pm] Bluestreak: More specifiacally? [10:29pm] Bluestreak: Of course then we would need an interim quartermaster, too? [10:30pm] jokeefe: yes [10:30pm] jokeefe: though srevilak was elected previously [10:31pm] srevilak: sure, I could do a second term as interim QM [10:31pm] jokeefe: thanks [10:32pm] jokeefe: any others interested? [10:32pm] Kendra: i can help with emailing [10:32pm] jokeefe: thanks [10:33pm] jokeefe: so no objections to emailing that we want people and then holding elections at next IRC meeting? [10:34pm] srevilak: no objection [10:34pm] Kendra: no objection [10:34pm] Bluestreak: none [10:34pm] jokeefe: great - update on the conference. [10:35pm] jokeefe: David House offered to do a key note on challenging the two party system [10:36pm] srevilak: sounds good [10:36pm] jokeefe: Any idea what Wendy wants to do? [10:36pm] srevilak: At LibrePlanet she gave a great talk about copyright law(s) [10:37pm] srevilak: I asked her to do something similar for us [10:37pm] srevilak: She's a very good speaker [10:37pm] jokeefe: k [10:37pm] jokeefe: So this is what I propose: [10:37pm] jokeefe: David House as keynote [10:37pm] jokeefe: Alex Marthews as end note [10:37pm] jokeefe: In the middle: [10:38pm] jokeefe: lunch for an hour [10:38pm] jokeefe: Crowdfunding [10:38pm] Bluestreak: So we need food [10:38pm] jokeefe: Open Gov. [10:38pm] Bluestreak: Eating in the church? [10:38pm] jokeefe: could do pizza like last time [10:38pm] jokeefe: hmmmm [10:39pm] Bluestreak: Could hire Kendra! [10:39pm] jokeefe: Government Power in 2020 [10:39pm] jokeefe: Don't Agonize, Organize [10:39pm] Bluestreak: Whose talk is that? [10:39pm] Bluestreak: the 2020 one? [10:39pm] jokeefe: Kendra Moyer, Gregg Housh, Alex Marthews, Rich Aucoin of PANDA [10:40pm] Bluestreak: Who is on the Organize! Panel? [10:40pm] jokeefe: Though I can think of another for that one [10:41pm] jokeefe: Evan Greer (campaign manager at Fight for the Future), David House?, Gregg?, David Mitchell of BORDC? [10:41pm] jokeefe: I can be on it too. [10:41pm] Bluestreak: Do you still need people to speak on Organize? [10:41pm] jokeefe: yes [10:41pm] jokeefe: lots of question marks [10:41pm] Bluestreak: I could add something to that. [10:41pm] jokeefe: k [10:42pm] jokeefe: good [10:42pm] Bluestreak: OK then. [10:42pm] jokeefe: any occupiers we could ask? [10:44pm] jokeefe: does the lineup sound good? [10:44pm] passstab left the chat room. (Remote host closed the connection) [10:45pm] srevilak: For better or worse, a lot of of occupiers aren't terribly organized [10:45pm] srevilak: (kendra: you can stop laughing now [10:46pm] Kendra: tis funny [10:46pm] Bluestreak: They show up. That's half the battle. [10:46pm] jokeefe: o h k should look for others [10:47pm] srevilak: I'm not a great organizer, but I can talk on a panel [10:47pm] jokeefe: thank you [10:47pm] jokeefe: I would love people better than me to be on it. [10:48pm] jokeefe: sorry, but I am fading and want to get an email blast out tonight. ok if we adjourn? [10:48pm] srevilak: ok [10:48pm] Kendra: Have you contacted any of the universities? I have a hard time telling if people are in the same space politically to know who to ask somthing like this. I would think sending an invitation to maybe three universites CS or Law school might be a good start. [10:48pm] srevilak: I'll try to think of some people to ask, re organize panel [10:49pm] jokeefe: asked our Berkman contact. will ask again [10:49pm] Kendra: I can look at two universities and forward information about prospective speakers or departments. [10:50pm] Bluestreak: i'm OK to adjourn [10:50pm] jokeefe: thanks, Kendra [10:50pm] Bluestreak: That would be great, Kendra! [10:51pm] Kendra: I think we covered quite a bit. Good night everyone. [10:51pm] Kendra left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed) [10:51pm] Bluestreak: Woosh! [10:51pm] Bluestreak: I'm so beat! [10:52pm] jokeefe: lets adjourn then [10:52pm] Bluestreak: Thanks for taking over, Jamie. [10:52pm] srevilak: motion to adjourn [10:52pm] Bluestreak: Goodnight! [10:52pm] Bluestreak: 2nd [10:52pm] jokeefe: would someone send me the earlier transcript? [10:52pm] jokeefe: all in favor [10:53pm] Bluestreak: aye aye [10:53pm] srevilak: jokeefe: I'll send transcript [10:53pm] jokeefe: thanks [10:53pm] jokeefe: aye [10:53pm] Bluestreak: TTFN! [10:53pm] Bluestreak left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed) [10:55pm] jokeefe: opposed? <though seems moot> [10:58pm] jokeefe: have a good night [10:58pm] srevilak left the chat room. (Quit: leaving)