May 23rd, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Our Elections

Email sent. Nominations by today. Election ballot by the 30th. To Do:

  • Send email reminder about nominations this week and next
  • Setup ballot (jokeefe)
  • Send out ballot this week and before polls close (jokeefe)

Planks & Other Discussions

  • Discussion
    • Reviewed Loomio instance. Looks good. Looking at how to invite people.
    • myBB installed, but not setup completely (jokeefe)
    • Installing mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)
    • Installed Matrix client (Riot), but we would need our own server to not be dependent on matrix.org servers.
  • Previous work in this area: https://github.com/masspirates/planks
  • Results of the PirateCon discussion posted

Local Chapters

Boston Pride Parade

Day against DRM

Day Against DRM is Sunday, July 9th. The FSF is looking for people to setup events worldwide and asked if we wanted to help organize an event in Massachusetts.

Upcoming Events

See: 2017 calendar

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • hvxgr (Tom Rodman - Milwaukee)
  • Moses (Moses - West Tisbury)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)

Observers

  • davidd
  • papegaai
  • igel

Summary

Chelsea Manning party went well. Folks can donate at https://www.gofundme.com/welcomehomechelsea

Our elections. Planning to have ballot mailed by Wed.

Planks & Other discussions. Loomio looks pretty good. Would be nice to tie logins together across tools (e.g., LDAP or OpenID), but that's a future project.

Local Chapters. Somerville has a chapter meeting tomorrow. Jamie will follow-up with contacts, re: Boston and Lowell chapters.

Boston Pride. Have facebook event and signup form.

Day against DRM.

Minutes

 
21:08 < jokeefe> agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_23rd,_2017_IRC_Meeting
21:08 < jokeefe> ids
21:08 < papegaai> Title: May 23rd, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:08 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:08 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:09 < hvxgr> Tom Rodman - Milwaukee
21:10 < Moses> Moses - West Tisbury
21:10 < jokeefe> anything to add?
21:11 < srevilak> nothing here
21:12 < Moses> same
21:12 < hvxgr> Was thinking I could share a short list of my skills, that
        might be used, I could email them to jokeefe, between now and next mtg?
21:13 < jokeefe> info@masspirates.org works
21:13 < hvxgr> k
21:14 < jokeefe> The Chelsea Manning is free party went well.
        good attendence. Raised some money for chelsea
21:15 < jokeefe> Folks can still give at
        https://www.gofundme.com/welcomehomechelsea
21:18 < jokeefe> Projects - Our Elections
21:19 < jokeefe> Putting the ballot together
21:20 < jokeefe> will have it emailed by Wednesday
21:20 < jokeefe> Planks & Other Discussions
21:20 < jokeefe> Making progress.  Loomio looks good
21:22 < jokeefe> Think we can have it full figured out by next week
21:22 < hvxgr> Good.  At some point would be interesting to know how
        identities or users are all tied together across these tools (if at all).
21:23 < srevilak> Loomio did have some nice decision making aids
21:24 < srevilak> hvxgr: at the moment, identities not tied together
        across tools
21:24 < jokeefe> yes, that is a solution we need hvxgr.  thinking LDAP
21:24 < srevilak> Or OpenID
21:24 < srevilak> Or similar
21:24 < hvxgr> I have been looking at freeipa, but it may be overkill.
21:25 < jokeefe> OpenID is good too.
21:25 < jokeefe> haven’t seen freeipa
21:26 < jokeefe> Local Chapters
21:26 < hvxgr> freeipa bundles kerberos, ldap, dns and a few other tools.
        I think it's from redhat.
21:26 < jokeefe> Somerville has a meetup tomorrow
21:26 < jokeefe> thanks hvxgr
21:26 < jokeefe> kerberos goes back
21:26 < hvxgr> sure
21:27 < jokeefe> will follow up with Boston contact.
21:27 < jokeefe> reached out the Lowell contact
21:27 < jokeefe> Boston Pride Parade
21:27 < jokeefe> setup facebook event
21:28 < hvxgr> kerberos allows secure NFS4
21:28 < jokeefe> NFS another blast from the past
21:29 < hvxgr> (I'm old)
21:30 < jokeefe> fond memories of NFS over UDP on DOS ;-)
21:31 < hvxgr> I could get us way OT -- pc-nfs etc.  DOS network stack
        etc...
21:32 < jokeefe> :-)
21:33 < jokeefe> will get email announcements about it out as well
21:33 < jokeefe> Day against DRM
21:34 < jokeefe> Wanted to see if we wanted to help FSF with a Mass. Day
        against DRM event
21:35 < srevilak> jokeefe: offhand, do you know the proposed date?
21:35 < srevilak> Ah, July 9th
        https://www.defectivebydesign.org/dayagainstdrm
21:35 < papegaai> Title: Leaders needed for the International Day Against
        DRM | Defective by Design (at www.defectivebydesign.org)
21:35 < jokeefe> Sunday, July 9th
21:38 < jokeefe> ideas?
21:38 < srevilak> As in, what can we do?
21:39 < jokeefe> yes
21:39 < srevilak> (brainstorming) leaflet describing what DRM is, and
        why the FSF and Pirate Party think it's a harmful idea
21:40 < hvxgr> Do you already have a wiki page of your own or copy of
        your own about DRM?  If not, could start one.
21:40 < srevilak> I almost like the idea of tabling out in the middle
        of a public place
21:42 < hvxgr> srevilak: I think that could work.  It impacts almost
        all of us, I think.  (I'm a but GPL/FLOSS fan.)
21:43 < srevilak> I've been to a few FSF anti-DRM events.  There tends
        to be a lot of flyering
21:44 < jokeefe> could work
21:44 < srevilak> DRM has become a much bigger problem during the last
        few years
21:44 < srevilak> DRM + DCMA effectively lets corporations turn business
        preferences into law
21:45 < srevilak> Sorry, DMCA, not DCMA
21:47 < jokeefe> Suggest we run it by Zak and see what FSF thinks
21:47 < srevilak> Another obvious thing to do is a march - but I
        (personally) like the idea of sitting around talking to people more
        than marching
21:49 < srevilak> jokeefe: sounds good
21:49 < srevilak> these days, there's a lot of overlap between DRM and
        right to repair
21:49 < jokeefe> yes
21:53 < jokeefe> both have their qualities
21:54 < jokeefe> Will email Zak. Finalize next meeting?
21:54 < hvxgr> ok
21:55 < srevilak> ok
21:56 < jokeefe> nothing else on the agenda. we are almost at time
21:57 < srevilak> motion to adjourn?
21:57 < srevilak> (aside) speaking of DRM:
        https://consumerist.com/2017/03/23/why-you-should-care-about-the-supreme-court-case-on-toner-cartridges/
21:58 < srevilak> have to read up on that supreme court case
21:58 < jokeefe> thanks
21:58 < jokeefe> 2nd
21:58 < hvxgr> good night all
21:58 < jokeefe> night
21:59 < srevilak> will post transcript