May 2nd, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Conference

Campaign Workshops

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Our Elections

Planks

  • Results of the PirateCon discussion
  • Need to get Loomio up so people can discuss
  • Add items that have no opposition?
  • September meeting to adopt final platform for 2018 elections? Perhaps in Worcester? Worcester public library is open on weekends at the moment.
  • Previous work in this area: https://github.com/masspirates/planks

Fundraising

Projects On Hold For the Moment

Local Surveillance Ordinances

Message board application

CCTV Camera Map

Looking at organizing a map-a-thon.

Upcoming Events

See: 2017 calendar

Participants

  • hvxgr (Tom Rodman, MKE)
  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • G (Garret, Lowell)
  • admech (Matt Fealy, Boston)

Observers

  • Techrev
  • davidd
  • papegaai
  • igel

Summary

Campaign workshops. Six people came to last week's workshop in Holyoke.

Conference. Turnout was better than last year. Stream was better. Next year, the first time slot should be "registration and socializing", to avoid delays caused by last minute setup issues.

If we can get enough volunteers, wouldn't hurt to re-think conference roles. For example, someone to do overall event coordination/production (aka, keeping an eye on things as a whole, and delegating work). An ideal volunteer list might include

  • registration
  • greeter
  • merchandise
  • MC
  • A/V tech, streaming
  • site setup (chairs, tables, banners, non-tech)
  • timekeeper
  • floater, to help where needed.

Our elections. Didn't have time to hold elections at the conference. Jamie suggests leaving nominations open for two weeks, then voting.

Planks. We brainstormed a bunch of ideas at PirateCon. Steve has written copy, hopes to transcribe by the end of the week. Would like to try loomio to rough out the platform, then meet in Sept (perhaps at Worcester public library) for more platform debate and adoption.

We should hold a fundraiser this year. Freedom rally is in September. We've discussed a Platform building conference in September. That makes September a busy month. Perhaps fundraise in October.

Minutes

 
21:03 < jokeefe> agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_2nd,_2017_IRC_Meeting
21:03 < jokeefe> ids
21:03 < papegaai> Title: May 2nd, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:03 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:04 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:04 < hvxgr> Tom Rodman, MKE
21:04 < admech> Matt Fealy, Boston
21:04 < G> Garret, Lowell
21:04 < jokeefe> Anything to add to the agenda?
21:05 < G> nah
21:05 < admech> no
21:06 < hvxgr> give or point me to a list of major sw tools you use
        (type of wiki, piratepad etc) ?
21:07 < srevilak> hvxgr: wordpress, mediawiki, piratepad, civicrm
        on drupal
21:07 < jokeefe> mediawiki, wordpress, piratenpad.de, CiviCRM, so far
21:07 < jokeefe> Review
21:07 < jokeefe> Campaign Workshops
21:07 < hvxgr> jokeefe: Thx.
21:08 < jokeefe> The Holyoke event had six people no including srevilak
        and I
21:08 < jokeefe> Good conversation
21:09 < srevilak> especially considering the monsoon :)
21:09 < jokeefe> Need to simplify my talk at least
21:09 < jokeefe> Anything else to add, srevilak?
21:10 < srevilak> Nothing here.  The space was pretty nice, if we ever
        have cause to use it again
21:10 < jokeefe> agreed
21:10 < jokeefe> Conference
21:10 < srevilak> And I appreciated owen providing dinner, aka donuts
21:11 < jokeefe> Yes, so did the teens we gave some of them too :-)
21:12 < jokeefe> Talks were good, turn out seemed better than last year
        and the stream was better
21:12 < srevilak> Re conference,
21:12 < srevilak> Next year, we might want to make the first slot
        "registration and socializing"
21:12 < jokeefe> yes
21:12 < jokeefe> agreed
21:13 < srevilak> that way people have time to wander in, and we have
        time to deal with last minute setup issues
21:13 < jokeefe> agreed
21:14 < admech> agreed (as one of the people who wandered in late)
21:15 < srevilak> The continual process of learning.  Luckily, this is
        an easy improvement to make
21:15 < jokeefe> other suggestions?
21:16 < hvxgr> Were you able to upload the video or audio somewhere?
21:16 < srevilak> hvxgr: not yet
21:17 < hvxgr> k
21:17 < srevilak> currently copying video off SD cards.  For audio,
        I expect to edit and post ~ 1 panel per week
21:17 < srevilak> will need volunteers to work on video editing
21:18 < srevilak> probably ~ 50GB of raw footage
21:18 < jokeefe> wow
21:18 < hvxgr> My podcatcher sw is following your pc feed -- listened
        to most of one already.
21:18 < hvxgr> wow
21:19 < srevilak> If we have the volunteers next year, it would be nice
        to have one person doing only event production
21:20 < jokeefe> or more
21:20 < srevilak> (aka, doing overall coordination)
21:21 < jokeefe> roles for next conference:
21:21 < jokeefe> registration
21:21 < jokeefe> greeting speakers
21:21 < jokeefe> merch
21:21 < jokeefe> streaming/recording (1 or more)
21:21 < jokeefe> MC
21:22 < jokeefe> Site setup (non-tech)
21:22 < srevilak> timekeeper
21:22 < jokeefe> Floater to fill gaps where needed
21:23 < jokeefe> admech / G - other suggestions?
21:24 < G> erm.... no i think you covered it
21:24 < admech> same
21:25 < jokeefe> Moving on to Projects then
21:25 < jokeefe> Our Elections
21:27 < jokeefe> We didn’t have turn to do a valid election, so
        suggest opening nominations another two weeks, then have a week for
        people to vote.
21:27 < srevilak> no objections
21:27 < G> sounds good
21:29 < jokeefe> ok, then
21:29 < jokeefe> Planks
21:30 < jokeefe> srevilak, have you had a chance to write up the notes
        from the discussion?
21:30 < srevilak> No, should be able to do so on Friday
21:30 < srevilak> (have town meeting tomorrow, pride orientation on Thu)
21:30 < jokeefe> Thanks for the reminder on that
21:32  * srevilak finishes duping SD cards.  Only 42GB of raw footage :)
21:33 < jokeefe> :-)
21:33 < jokeefe> Do we have a tech meeting scheduled for this month?
21:33 < srevilak> Not yet
21:33 < hvxgr> which server? ( for 42GB? )
21:34 < srevilak> hvxgr: I don't understand your question
21:34 < hvxgr> Is not storage expensive for virtual hosts?
21:34 < hvxgr> Sorry, no need to go way OT.
21:35 < srevilak> That's raw footage, which will need to be edited.
        Edited copy will likely end up on youtube and the internet archive
21:35 < hvxgr> archive.org
21:35 < srevilak> yes, archive.org
21:35 < hvxgr> k
21:37 < srevilak> jokeefe: re tech meeting, I'll see what my schedule
        looks like after town meeting is over
21:37 < srevilak> Hopefully we can do something toward the end of
        the month
21:37 < srevilak> (or I should say, hopefully I can do something ...)
21:38 < jokeefe> thanks. I’ll work on loomio so we can get working on it
21:38 < hvxgr> Will that tech mtg be on IRC?
21:38 < srevilak> We usually do them in person.  Try to make them
        working sessions
21:39 < jokeefe> Could have monthly meetings to go over platform and
        also have discussion over loomio or some other on-line platform
21:40 < jokeefe> then have a September meeting to adopt final platform
        for 2018 elections. Perhaps in Worcester. Worcester public library is
        open on weekends at the moment.
21:41 < jokeefe> workable?
21:42 < srevilak> Sounds reasonable
21:46 < jokeefe> G?
21:46 < G> aye. sounds good
21:48 < jokeefe> Fundraising/Finances
21:48 < jokeefe> How are we after PirateCon?
21:48 < srevilak> One moment ...
21:49 < srevilak> current bottom line is $1049
21:50 < jokeefe> thanks
21:50 < srevilak> For the year, we've taken in $1135, and spent $1227
21:51 < srevilak> main expenses, were events (410), fundraising (322),
        and hosting (260)
21:52 < srevilak> Overall, not bad
21:52 < jokeefe> Would be good to have a fundraiser. When?
21:53 < srevilak> Before September platform conference, or after?
21:55 < jokeefe> Freedom Rally is September
21:55 < jokeefe> Perhaps October
21:56 < srevilak> October could work
21:58 < jokeefe> Well lets look for a place to host it
21:58 < srevilak> ok
22:00 < jokeefe> we are pretty much at time, then
22:00 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
22:00 < jokeefe> 2nd

Out of meeting conversation

22:03 < jokeefe: all in favor of adjourning?
22:03 < admech: aye
22:03 < G: yup
22:03 < jokeefe: aye
22:03 < hvxgr: aye /thx all, will plan to be back next week.