May 30th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Our Elections

Email sent. Nominations by today. Election ballot by the 30th. Seven days after it is sent out. To Do:

  • Send email reminder about nominations this week and next
  • Setup ballot (srevilak). For this election, we are implementing Voting Tokens
  • Send out ballot this week and before polls close (jokeefe)

PirateCon

  • Videos processed. Need to upload to sites and torrent.
  • Audio for one panel posted. More audio to edit.

Planks & Other Discussions

  • Discussion
    • Reviewed Loomio instance. Looks good. Looking at how to invite people.
    • myBB installed, but not setup completely (jokeefe)
    • Installing mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)
    • Installed Matrix client (Riot), but we would need our own server to not be dependent on matrix.org servers.
  • Evaluating issue tracking/proj management sw (alternatives to jira), for dealing w/tech issues, or "agile activism"?
  • Previous work on planks: https://github.com/masspirates/planks
  • Results of the PirateCon discussion posted

Local Chapters

Somerville meeting in two weeks.

Boston Pride Parade

Day against DRM

Day Against DRM is Sunday, July 9th. The FSF is looking for people to setup events worldwide and asked if we wanted to help organize an event in Massachusetts.

Upcoming Events

See: 2017 calendar

Participants

  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Pepe (Garret K, Lowell)
  • hvxgr (Tom Rodman (Milwaukee))

Observers

  • davidd
  • igel
  • pagegaai
  • mlemlemlem

Summary

Minutes

 
21:05 < srevilak> agenda
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_30th,_2017_IRC_Meeting
21:05 < papegaai> Title: May 30th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:05 < srevilak> ids
21:06 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:06 < mlemlemlem> hola
21:06 < Pepe> Garret K, Lowell
21:06 < hvxgr> Tom Rodman (Milwaukee)
21:06 < srevilak> Projects
21:07 < srevilak> Our elections
21:07 < srevilak> since we didn't fit our elections into piratecon,
        we're making our first go at electronic voting
21:07 < srevilak> It's ranked choice, with voting tokens:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/Electronic_Voting_and_Voting_Tokens
21:07 < papegaai> Title: Electronic Voting and Voting Tokens - Mass
        Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org)
21:08 < srevilak> We're nearly ready to send invitations to vote.
21:09 < srevilak> jokeefe volunteered to do the mailing, and the ballot
        will stay open for a week.  Then, we'll count the votes
21:09 < Pepe> tokens. fancy
21:09 < Pepe> :D
21:10 < srevilak> electronic voting is tricky
21:11 < srevilak> anything else on elections?
21:11 < hvxgr> Can one use anonymous email?  (I know I am not a member
        now)
21:12 < srevilak> For voting?  We didn't think of that for this election.
        But we could try it at some point in the future
21:13 < hvxgr> I suppose it would be hard to hide from yourself who you
        emailed to though.
21:14 < srevilak> Anonymous remailer perhaps?
21:15 < srevilak> On to piratecon?
21:15 < srevilak> PirateCon
21:16 < srevilak> jokeefe said he got most of the video edited.  It's just
        taking a while to upload
21:16 < srevilak> He plans to put it on Mega, and youtube, I believe
21:17 < Pepe> that the vid from PirateCon?
21:17 < srevilak> ye
21:17 < srevilak> ye
21:17 < srevilak> yes
21:17 < Pepe> cool. i missed the first speakers
21:17 < Pepe> i wanted to catch Wendy's bit
21:17 < srevilak> I haven't made as much progress on audio/podcasts.
21:18 < srevilak> Have the first panel posted to
        https://archive.org/details/masspirates
21:18 < papegaai> Title: Massachusetts Pirate Party : Free Audio :
        Download & Streaming : Internet Archive (at archive.org)
21:18 < srevilak> Wendy gave a good talk
21:18 < Pepe> she's a sharp tack
21:19 < srevilak> Planks & Other Discussions
21:20 < srevilak> jokeefe has been looking into software packages to
        facilitate discussions and collective decision making
21:21 < srevilak> Loomio seems like a good candidate for the decision
        making piece.
21:21 < srevilak> Hope is that we could use it to help round out the
        platform
21:23 < srevilak> Probably need a working meeting to seed a couple of
        topics and send out invitations
21:24 < srevilak> jamie's also been looking at myBB (general
        forum/discussion board), and something slack-like
21:24 < srevilak> Challenge with maintaining data sovereignty: sometimes
        it's a lot of work :(
21:25 < srevilak> hvxgr: what have you been looking at in terms of
        `agile activism'
21:25 < hvxgr> redmine, bugzilla, tuleap ...
21:26 < srevilak> have you looked at trac?
21:26 < hvxgr> No, I think the name came up tho.
21:26 < srevilak> A tech collective I work with uses trac as issue
        tracker + wiki + repository browser
21:27 < hvxgr>
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_issue-tracking_systems
21:27 < papegaai> Title: Comparison of issue-tracking systems - Wikipedia
        (at en.wikipedia.org)
21:27 < hvxgr> Phabricator also.
21:28 < srevilak> have you found ones that work particularly well (or
        particularly not well?)
21:28 < hvxgr> I'm thinking it may be a way for remote people to
        coordinate work / work together.   In theory, you could do something
        like sprints also.
21:30 < srevilak> I've always found it's a challenge to cross over from
        issue management to project management
21:30 < hvxgr> I liked jira.  One of the main things I liked was being
        able to use post simple plain text comments in jira issues using editor
        of my choice.
21:31 < srevilak> That is a nice feature of Jira (along with
        project-specific workflows)
21:31 < hvxgr> Issue management first in my opinion, but then i'm a
        detail/task oriented individual contributer type.
21:32 < hvxgr> Workflows are nice.  At the last job I had they kept them
        very simple, which was nice.
21:33 < srevilak> I notice that
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_issue-tracking_systems
        includes org-mode, which I'm personally a huge fan of
21:33 < papegaai> Title: Comparison of issue-tracking systems - Wikipedia
        (at en.wikipedia.org)
21:33 < hvxgr> I will look into 'trac'.
21:33 < srevilak> but org-mode is more single user than a group tool
21:34 < hvxgr> ( emacs org mode? ) I'm a vim person, but use GNUS
        sometimes.
21:34 < srevilak> yes, http://orgmode.org/
21:34 < papegaai> Title: Org mode for Emacs Your Life in Plain Text
        (at orgmode.org)
21:36 < srevilak> Shall we move on to local chapters?
21:36 < hvxgr> Getting OT, I think, but I do use folds in vim.
        Sure/ready for nect topic.
21:37 < srevilak> local chapters
21:37 < srevilak> Jamie and Aaron have started to hold meetings in
        somerville
21:37 < srevilak> We also have another fellow trying to get a boston
        chapter started
21:38 < srevilak> I don't have much more to report than that
21:38 < srevilak> Anything else on local chapters?
21:39 < Pepe> no i don't think so
21:39 < srevilak> Boston Pride Parade
21:39 < srevilak> I've been building a mast :)
21:40 < srevilak> Pride is June 10th.
21:40 < srevilak> We'll get our lineup position a day or two in advance
21:40 < srevilak> Pepe: will you be able to march with us?
21:41 < Pepe> i don't do identity politics, sorry
21:41 < srevilak> ok
21:42 < srevilak> Still have prep work to do (promotion, flyers, and such)
21:43 < srevilak> Day against DRM
21:43 < srevilak> International day against DRM is Sunday July 9th
21:43 < Pepe> k now we're talking. that's July?
21:43 < srevilak> Yes, july
21:44 < srevilak> Skimming over last week's notes, we'd been thinking
        of tabling
21:44 < srevilak> I suppose a stand-out would work too
21:45 < Pepe> i can help w either. i just got a new flag pole :D
21:45 < srevilak> nice
21:46 < srevilak> Any thoughts on where to do the event(s)?
21:46 < Pepe> where? ....................... hmmmmmmm
21:46 < srevilak> We could do more than one location
21:47 < Pepe> is there any local orgs involved in this yet?
21:47 < Pepe> are there ^^^
21:47 < srevilak> The FSF.
21:48 < srevilak> A number of tech groups tend to get involved
21:48 < Pepe> they haven't staked out a spot yet? i dunno who that is
21:48 < srevilak> FSF : free software foundation
21:48 < srevilak> They're the ones behind https://defectivebydesign.org/
21:48 < papegaai> Title: We oppose DRM. | Defective by Design (at
        defectivebydesign.org)
21:49 < hvxgr> For tabling or marches, a couple of big yard sign sized
        pdfs might be good. I could do a simple protest (text) sign, get it
        printed at a fedx near you (they have wide paper plotters).
21:49 < Pepe> gotcha. July 9 is a Sunday.... that can be
        tricky..... Cambride probably
21:49 < Pepe> Cambridge. i think woudl have best reception based on
        demographics
21:49 < srevilak> I think you're probably right
21:50 < srevilak> Would it make sense to encourage folks to do events
        in their own areas?
21:50 < Pepe> i mean... "hey go for it" if someone is so motivated
21:50 < srevilak> (in addition to doing something in, say, Cambridge?)
21:51 < srevilak> I like "hey go for it"
21:51 < Pepe> ..........hmm. i wish i could get my local Lowellian pals
        to get involved we me, we could maybe do one here at the college
21:51 < hvxgr> I can check with Joe Klein in MKE-- he has been a bit
        hard to reach lately.
21:52 < Pepe> UMass Lowell... but i think Cambridge would have best
        reception from the community and therefore a better PR
21:52 < srevilak> Sounds like good ideas to me
21:52 < srevilak> There is a makerspace in Lowell -- we did a cryptoparty
        there once
21:53 < srevilak> It may have been http://lowellmakes.com/
21:53 < papegaai> Title: Lowell Makes | Learning, Designing & Making:
        A new side of the creative economy — in Lowell! (at lowellmakes.com)
21:53 < srevilak> They might be receptive to doing something
21:54 < Pepe> maybe. i'll learn more about this and see if i can drum
        up and locals. i don't really know anyone out here or where anything is,
        but we'll see what i can find
21:54 < srevilak> cool, thanks
21:56 < srevilak> I'll see if I can put together a blog post/call
        to action
21:56 < srevilak> Anything else?
21:57 < Pepe> nah i think that's it. i'd move to adjourn i think
21:57 < srevilak> I'll second your motion
21:57 < srevilak> All in favor?
21:57 < hvxgr> Good nite all.
21:57 < Pepe> aye.
21:57 < srevilak> aye
21:57 < Pepe> good night!
21:58 < srevilak> good night.