May 9th, 2017 IRC Meeting
March Against Monsanto, 5/20?
Email sent. Nominations by the 23rd. Election ballot by the 30th. Need to setup ballot.
- Previous work in this area: https://github.com/masspirates/planks
- Results of the PirateCon discussion posted
- Need to get Loomio up so people can discuss
- Schedule September meeting to adopt final platform for 2018 elections
Next Tech Meeting?
- Somerville meeting 5/10
- 5/9, Massachusetts Pirate Party 7th Anniversary
- 5/14-21, Together Boston, Cambridge
- 5/17, Chelsea Manning's Release Party, Somerville
- 5/20, 10am-4pm, March Against Monsanto
- 5/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
- 6/3, 5-7pm, LGBT-focused Cryptoparty, Make Shift Boston, 549 Columbus Ave, Boston
- 6/10, Boston Pride Parade, Boston
- 6/21, Edward Snowden's Birthday
- 6/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
See: 2017 calendar
- srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
- jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
- admech (Matt Fealy, Boston)
Late start, due to some (perceived) IRC issues. We started off split across several IRC servers.
Freedom Rally. Three days this year, Sep 15--17. Cost is $300. We have funds to cover registration costs. Concessions, Ltd charges a late fee after Aug 10th, so we should make a decision before then. We'll table the decision for now. Jamie thinks we should fundraise for the registration fee.
Pirate officer elections. Jamie sent newsletter, re: elections. Nominations open until May 23rd
Planks. Looking at worcester as location for plank building meeting. May set up loomio for online discussions. Loomio's git repository. We'll have a tech meeting from 2-4p on Sunday May 21st to try it out.
21:15 < jokeefe> ids 21:15 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington 21:15 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville 21:15 < admech> Matt Fealy, Boston 21:18 < jokeefe> Anything to add? 21:18 < srevilak> would like to add Freedom rally 21:18 < srevilak> (probably under decisions) 21:19 < admech> nothing here 21:19 < jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements 21:19 < jokeefe> Anti-DRM march 2:00 PM EDT on Saturday, May 13th, at Cambridge City Hall (Central Square T station) and follow the sidewalk to Tim Berners-Lee's office (Kendall Square T Station). 21:19 < jokeefe> FSF event 21:20 < srevilak> I'm game for endorsing. Can probably even attend 21:21 < jokeefe> I have no objections #NoDRM 21:21 < jokeefe> admech? 21:21 < admech> No objections 21:22 < jokeefe> great. Will tell Zak 21:22 < srevilak> https://defectivebydesign.org/blog/webs_inventor_flirts_disaster_boston_artists_are_putting_out_call_march_us_saturday 21:22 < jokeefe> March Against Monsanto, 5/20? 21:23 < srevilak> Isn't that Bayer now? 21:24 < admech> Soft oppose. I'm anti-Monsanto, but this is a heavily "anti-GMO" march and I'll have more to say about that in platform discussion. 21:24 < jokeefe> We usually go because of opposition to patents, but not sure who can go 21:25 < admech> I assumed. I'm not averse to stressing the gene patenting/corporate bad behavior message. 21:27 < jokeefe> srevilak, can you go? 21:27 < srevilak> Won't be able to make it this year 21:27 < jokeefe> I cannot either 21:27 < admech> Can't commit either. 21:28 < jokeefe> Will ask list and we can revisit next meeting then 21:28 < jokeefe> Freedom Rally? 21:28 < srevilak> concession ltd sent us vendor application today 21:29 < srevilak> If we want to attend, it's the same $300 fee as last year 21:29 < jokeefe> I hear it is three days long now 21:29 < srevilak> yes, sep 15--17 21:31 < jokeefe> when do we need to make a decision? 21:31 < srevilak> There's a late fee after Aug 10th 21:32 < srevilak> So, presumably before then 21:32 < srevilak> Though we probably don't need to wait that long 21:32 < jokeefe> We have enough to cover it? 21:33 < srevilak> yes, we have funds to cover 21:33 < srevilak> (current bank balance in $1049) 21:33 < srevilak> (current bank balance is $1049) 21:34 < jokeefe> ok 21:34 < srevilak> We'd (presumably) need to work out new logictics re tent + tables 21:35 < srevilak> and figure out an advocacy plan 21:35 < srevilak> (i.e., list of folks on beacon hill to contact, re: implementing question 4) 21:36 < srevilak> but we don't need to make a decision tonight 21:36 < jokeefe> agreed, fundraising for it would be a good idea 21:38 < srevilak> table the decision for now? 21:39 < jokeefe> aye 21:39 < admech> aye 21:39 < srevilak> ok 21:39 < jokeefe> Projects 21:39 < jokeefe> Our Elections - email sent out. nominations open until 23rd 21:40 < jokeefe> Planks 21:41 < jokeefe> Looking at Worcester location 21:41 < jokeefe> srevilak, got any time to look over setting up loomio with me? 21:41 < srevilak> sure 21:42 < srevilak> want to try it this weekend, or should we schedule a tech meeting? 21:44 < jokeefe> possible, let me check my schedule 21:44 < srevilak> ok 21:45 < jokeefe> might not be bad to set time for a tech meeting as well 21:46 < srevilak> could probably do that on Sun 5/21 21:47 < jokeefe> would the following weekend be better? 21:47 < srevilak> will be out of town 21:48 < srevilak> and the next two weekends are left forum and pride 21:48 < jokeefe> 5/21 it is 21:49 < srevilak> With loomio, one choice is free single-group version, vs host your own 21:49 < jokeefe> ideally we should host our own 21:50 < srevilak> agreed. But kicking tires on hosted would be an easy way to try it out 21:50 < srevilak> (If a test group does what we want, then we can pursue hosted) 21:51 < srevilak> Like discourse, loomio distribution is designed to be deployed in docker images 21:52 < srevilak> hopefully won't have the same absolute path constraints as discourse 21:52 < jokeefe> oh sigh 21:53 < jokeefe> will get back to you about this weekend 21:53 < srevilak> ok 21:53 < srevilak> looking at https://github.com/loomio/loomio-deploy, they give examples of installing in relative paths, which is hopeful 21:54 < jokeefe> cool 21:54 < jokeefe> tech meeting 21:54 < jokeefe> morning or afternoon? 21:54 < srevilak> either is okay for me 21:56 < jokeefe> 2-4pm? 21:56 < srevilak> For this Sunday, 2-4pm is okay 21:56 < srevilak> Sorry, tech meeting. 5/21 2-4p is okay 21:56 < jokeefe> great 21:56 < jokeefe> Local Chapters 21:56 < srevilak> will send something to democracy list tomorrow night 21:57 < jokeefe> thanks 21:57 < jokeefe> admech, did you hear back from Joe? 21:57 < admech> Not yet. 21:58 < jokeefe> can I email your email address to all of the pirates in Boston? 21:58 < admech> Please do. I was about to suggest that. 21:59 < jokeefe> will send it and get you an account as well 22:00 < admech> Thanks. 22:00 < jokeefe> thank you 22:00 < admech> For the moment, can I get Slack admin to add people as well? 22:00 < jokeefe> we are at time 22:02 < jokeefe> shall we adjourn? 22:03 < admech> aye 22:03 * srevilak was waiting for jokeefe to answer admech 22:03 < srevilak> but aye to adjourning 22:04 < jokeefe> sorry 22:04 < srevilak> will post transcript 22:04 < jokeefe> missed that 22:04 < jokeefe> I will see if I can add you both as admins 22:04 < srevilak> thx 22:04 < admech> thanks 22:04 < jokeefe> thanks to you both