November 11th, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search



Conference Planning

See: Conference planning doc


Goals for Q3 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Revise platform
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Surveillance Mapping

  • Come up with a how to instructions
    • Paper - done
    • iPhone - done
    • Android
  • Come up with how to videos

Regional Meetings/Events

In-person events, including outdoor events, on hold until COVID-19 numbers go down.

Leader: jokeefe

Dec. 4th Day Against DRM


Boston Pride Festival

  • table booked
  • setup signup sheet
  • Announce
  • Need to purchase insurance
  • Need volunteer sign up form
  • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?


  • Free the Moderna Vaccine
    • Planning meeting upcoming. Contact jokeefe for details if you want to attend.
    • Planning new event
  • Yes on 1
    • Post on our support for it
    • Who could reach out to campaign to ask how we can help?
  • Yes on 2
    • Post reminder of our support for it
    • jokeefe reached out to campaign on helping. Will followup.
    • Yard signs available.



  • EARN IT Act
  • PATRIOT Act renewal


  • Legislature extended session
  • Push to get Right to Repair bill to a vote.
  • Some of facial recognition moratorium is in the police reform bill

Computer donations

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Other To Do

  • Application to PPI
  • Post statement on Suit
  • Post statement on our support for Question 1: open access to vehicle telematics systems.
  • Post statement on our opposition to S.4051 - Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act.
  • Post statement on retaining section 230 protections. Docket RM-11862. Per TechDirt, 9/17 is the last date for submissions for the 2nd round. - done

Tabled Projects

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • Every Tuesday, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, on-line
  • 11/14-15, Party Conference


  • davidd
  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Joe (Joseph Onoroski, Lowell)
  • Malt (sam capradae, worcester)


  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy
  • mikey



21:03 <@jokeefe> Agenda:,_2020_IRC_Meeting
21:04 < davidd> i fear in the future this will still be considered the
      beginning of the real pandamic
21:04 < Malt> hi buddy
21:04 <@jokeefe> you may be right davidd
21:04 <@jokeefe> ids
21:04 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:05 < Malt> sam capradae, worcester
21:05 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:05 < Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:05 <@jokeefe> anything to add?
21:05 < Malt> non
21:06 <@jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements - Conference Planning
21:06 <@jokeefe>
21:08 < Malt> i can e-mail supporters
21:08 <@jokeefe> Thanks
21:09 < Joe> I have had an issue with the live stream software
21:09 <@jokeefe> I have to send a final email announcement tomorrow, but
      if you could reach out to people in Worcester or surrounding communities,
      that would be wonderful
21:09 <@jokeefe> What is the issue, Joe?
21:10 < Joe> It seems that I can't have the other accounts logged in
      at the same time. A forced update messed up the Youtube live bot I was
      using and there does not seem to be an update for it yet.
21:10 < Joe> It will take some tinkering to resolve
21:11 <@jokeefe> I am happy to help you test it
21:12 <@jokeefe> I will set up the links to the meetings and set it up
      to email participants
21:13 <@jokeefe> I can setup the scheduled live streams. Should be done
      by tomorrow.
21:14 < Joe> I will notify you via signal when I have resolved the issue.
21:14 <@jokeefe> 14 people signed up on the FB event, but I expect they
      need a reminder to sign in to our form
21:15 <@jokeefe> ok, thanks Joe.
21:16 < Malt> Alexander asked about getting the link as well
21:17 <@jokeefe> On the topic of “Create draft platform
      topics to start discussion” I wondered if we should use as the basis for the start of the
      discussion along with changes from our past discussions.
21:17 < Malt> that seems like a great starting off point
21:17 < Malt> this is what we stand for, how do we move forward
21:18 <@jokeefe> Will make sure he gets it.
21:18 <@jokeefe> There are 17 sign ups
21:19 < Malt> neat
21:19 <@jokeefe> Joe, have you figured out when you want to your Education
      speaker on?
21:20 < Joe> Sunday right after me.
21:20 <@jokeefe> ok, will update it
21:21 < Malt> cool
21:21 < Joe> I plan to have my discussion similar to hers, as we
21:21 < Joe> 10 minutes of me droning on, with 15-20 for questions.
21:21 <@jokeefe> ok
21:23 <@jokeefe> anyone able to take on some plank editing?
21:24 < Joe> Sorry, I would not be able to do it justice.
21:25 <@jokeefe> Do you have time Malt?
21:25 < Malt> wtf ok
21:26 < Malt> i've got childcare next two days
21:26 <@jokeefe> If it helps, I’ll send you some planks and the items
      to add
21:27 < Malt> okay, yeah
21:27 < Malt> i can do that
21:27 < Malt> that's way more approachable than editing them all
21:28 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:30 <@jokeefe> That is all I have. Just focusing on the conference.
21:30 < Joe> Motion to adjourn?
21:31 <@jokeefe> 2nd
21:31 < srevilak> aye
21:31 <@jokeefe> all in favor?
21:31 < Joe> aye
21:31 < Malt> aye
21:31 <@jokeefe> aye
21:31 <@jokeefe> have a great night all
21:32 < Malt> you too!
21:32 <@jokeefe> hope you get to the top of the ticket davidd!
21:32 < Joe> gnight!