November 13th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  1. Event Review
    1. Pirate Social

Decisions/Events Status

  1. Possible Town Meeting Warrants to propose. (for illustration Arlington 2014 warrant)
  2. PirateCon 2015 planning
  3. Next Cryptoparty?
  4. Budget
  5. Fundraising

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • Bluestreak
  • srevilak

Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal
  • decipherstatic
  • zby

Events Summary

  1. Dec. 6, Radical Reference Collective: Privacy Workshop for Library Professionals, 2-5pm, Simmons College
  2. May 6, 2015, International Day against DRM.

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Summary

Minutes

 
20:55 < Bluestreak> ahoy!
20:59 < srevilak> hi all
21:00 < jokeefe> ahoy, srevilak!
21:00 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/November_13th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:00 < jokeefe> ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville
21:01 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:02 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:03 < jokeefe> any items folks want to add to the agenda?
21:03 < Bluestreak> I am having a bad week.
21:03 < Bluestreak> Very little enthusiasm
21:05 < jokeefe> Yeah. Hope it gets better.
21:06 < srevilak> jokeefe: agenda item: proposing legislation
21:06 < Bluestreak> Thanks.
21:06 < jokeefe> good, srevilak
21:07 < jokeefe> added
21:07 < jokeefe> anyone want to summarize the social?
21:08 < Bluestreak> Who else considered Jordan a troll?
21:09 < jokeefe> everyone is welcome so as long as they are not abusive
        or disruptive.
21:10 < Bluestreak> He was both.
21:10 < jokeefe> The social was fun.  Decent turn out, with lots of good
        people in attendence.  Should have one for the holidays possibly.
21:10 < Bluestreak> in my experience.
21:10 < Bluestreak> Lovely of course.
21:10 < srevilak> Bluestreak: at times, he went slightly beyond friendly
        challenges.  That said, I don't mind being challenged.  I'm happy to
        defend our viewpoints
21:10 < Bluestreak> So nice to see Joan
21:10 < Bluestreak> I defended every point utterly
21:11 < jokeefe> Good practice, then ;-)
21:11 < srevilak> jokeefe: agreed
21:11 < Bluestreak> he ran out of challenges but persisted, I called
        him on it
21:11 < Bluestreak> didn't lose my cool
21:11 < Bluestreak> so yeah good practice
21:11 < Bluestreak> Rio was so ...
21:12 < Bluestreak> interested isn't a strong enough word...
21:12 < jokeefe> curious and friendly
21:12 < Bluestreak> in what we had accomplished and how
21:12 < Bluestreak> i liked her.
21:12 < Bluestreak> wished she lived here
21:14 < jokeefe> moving on to Possible Town Meeting Warrants to propose
21:14 < jokeefe> the more pirates the better, Bluestreak, she would
        be good
21:15 < srevilak> I have one idea: would like to propose that all town
        websites use https exclusively
21:15 < srevilak> warrant article ^^^
21:16 < srevilak> I'd like to start small.
21:16 < srevilak> I like https requirement for two reasons:
21:16 < jokeefe> true, might help if you offered to help them with it.
21:16 < srevilak> (1) brings up issues regarding privacy
21:17 < srevilak> (2) prevents telcos from conducting MITM attacks
21:17 < Bluestreak> jokes sent you email
21:17 < Bluestreak> jokeefe fucking autocorrect
21:18 < Bluestreak> sent you an email jokeefe
21:18 < srevilak> any other suggestions on legislation
21:18 < jokeefe> thanks, Bluestreak
21:18 < srevilak> also - what's procedure for other towns (e.g.,
        somerville)
21:18 < srevilak> or medway, for that matter?
21:19 < jokeefe> Somerville is a city so it needs to go before the
        board of Alderman.  Arlington has elected town meeting, so procedure is
        more open
21:19 < jokeefe> srevilak, thinking there are others out there.  Not sure
        if the could endorse Pass. Mass. Amendment.
21:20 < jokeefe> wonder if there is a surveillance warrant
21:20 < srevilak> last year, or maybe two years ago, Occupy Arlington
        introduced a "corporations are not people" warrant
21:20 < jokeefe> police won't comply with surveillance by NSA or use
        proceeds of such surveillance
21:22 < srevilak> jokeefe: I like the idea.  Only reservation: I don't
        have much factual background on local PD
21:22 < srevilak> Guess it's time to start making public records requests,
        and researching town budget
21:22 < srevilak> I'm not involved in local politics as much as I should
        be :(
21:23 < jokeefe> when do you have to submit them?
21:23 < jokeefe> and do you know your local town meeting member?
21:24 < jokeefe> BTW: here are the Artlington
        town committee/commission/board openings
        http://www.arlingtonma.gov/town-governance/all-boards-and-committees/committee-openings
21:25 < jokeefe> and when are the elections?
21:26 < srevilak> Elections are usually in spring
21:26 < srevilak> Town meeting is in april
21:26 < srevilak> Warrant articles close on Jan 30th
21:26 < jokeefe> good, time to get things ready.
21:27 < jokeefe> Suggest you make it a blog post and ask for others
        to offer their suggestions.  Way to get people in and get some draft
        Warrants written.
21:28 < srevilak> jokeefe: will give that some thought
21:28 < jokeefe> Making FOIA easier in Arlington would also be good.
        Find out what isn't public record, so make it, or what isn't shared,
        but could be
21:28 < srevilak> Agreed.
21:28 < srevilak> I've only filed one public records request w/town,
        and that was a few years ago
21:29 < srevilak> hmmm..there's a bicycle committee :)
21:30 < jokeefe> apply
21:30 < jokeefe> also, we need to review this:
        http://files.ocpf.us/pdf/guides/muni_candidate_2012.pdf
21:31 < jokeefe> This caught my eye: This brochure is designed to
        address issues concerning candidates for elected municipal office (not
        for members of a representative town meeting, who are exempted from the
        reporting and disclosure provisions of the campaign finance law)
21:31 < jokeefe> .
21:31 < srevilak> speaking of OCPF, next Thu I will be going to an info
        session @ OCPF
21:32 < srevilak> Re: our transition to depository status
21:32 < jokeefe> thanks.  Wondering if you could run as elected town
        meeting member and still be our treasurer.  I would help with your
        campaign.
21:32 < srevilak> I should write OCPF and ask
21:32 < jokeefe> The Greens didn't use their software and were able to
        get around it, though I guess we could run it in a VM
21:33 < srevilak> I should write OCPF and ask (about town meeting)
21:33 < srevilak> Arlington town meeting only requires 10 signatures to
        get on the ballot
21:34 < srevilak> jokeefe: the pirate treasurer does not do windows
21:35 < jokeefe> I think if you can upload in their format, it is ok
21:35 < jokeefe> For the record:
        http://arlingtonma.gov/town-governance/town-meeting
21:35 < jokeefe> Annual Town Election to be held March 28, 2015
21:35 < jokeefe> First night of Town Meeting will be April 27, 2015
21:36 < Bluestreak> Is ... Steve running?
21:36 < jokeefe> 252 for 21 precincts.  12 per precinct, 1/3 up every
        year. so 4 to be elected this year in a block voting system.
21:37 < jokeefe> Considering.  More research to be done.
21:37 < Bluestreak> Am...I running?
21:37 < jokeefe> Do you have elected town meeting?
21:37 < Bluestreak> please reply to email
21:37 < jokeefe> I think only 31 towns do
21:37 < Bluestreak> we have selectmen
21:37 < Bluestreak> and town meeting
21:38 < Bluestreak>
        http://www.townofmedway.org/Pages/MedwayMA_Bcomm/BOS/index
21:38 < jokeefe> We need to figure out if you can be an officer in the
        party and run for local office.  Know there are limitations on treasurer,
        IIRC.
21:39 < Bluestreak> Shit, Jason could do (EPFRAC) He was on conservation
        commission in CT
21:39 < Bluestreak> Jason.
21:39 < Bluestreak> Jason should run
21:39 < Bluestreak> Ppl fucking love him
21:39 < jokeefe> Town charter is not text - scanned image.  Ugh -
        http://www.townofmedway.org/Pages/MedwayMA_Bcomm/BOS/towncharter.pdf
21:39 < Bluestreak> Every teacher our kids have had would vote for him
21:39 < jokeefe> he should run!
21:40 < Bluestreak> </3
21:40 < srevilak> http://files.ocpf.us/pdf/legaldocs/AO-95-03.pdf
21:40 < Bluestreak> Email
21:41 < srevilak> Town meeting member is not an "elective public office"
        within the meaning of MGL 55
21:41 < srevilak> Woo hoo!
21:41 < Bluestreak> So...?
21:41 < srevilak> Bluestreak: in other words, I can run for town meeting,
        even though I'm a PAC treasurer
21:42 < jokeefe> There is more there, but it is encouraging
21:43 < jokeefe> Well lets get the voter history and voters of your
        precinct and start planning!
21:43 < jokeefe> Going to move things along
21:43 < jokeefe> PirateCon 2015 planning
21:44 < srevilak> will make next round of survey changes tomorrow evening
21:44 < jokeefe> Any further comments on the survey?
21:44 < Bluestreak> No woed from Cory :-(
21:44 < Bluestreak> word
21:44 < srevilak> Bluestreak: who's Cory?
21:44 < Bluestreak> Can't decide on a date until i hear from him
21:44 < Bluestreak> Doctorow
21:44 < Bluestreak> dude said if we scheduled when he is in town then
        he would appear for no speaking fee
21:45 < Bluestreak> blah bla bah
21:45 < jokeefe> Right, but we can ask supporters what dates work
        for them.
21:45 < Bluestreak> all talk
21:45 < Bluestreak> so hung up on his promise...
21:45 < jokeefe> Pretty major to come from the UK.  Airfares aren't cheap.
21:45 < Bluestreak> I want names to draw ppl out
21:45 < Bluestreak> yes but he is herea ll the time
21:46 < Bluestreak> lessig live here
21:46 < Bluestreak> he should speak
21:46 < Bluestreak> these guys are all talk
21:46 < Bluestreak> take money out of politics
21:46 < Bluestreak> fuck that they all want to get paid
21:46 < srevilak> I'd like to invite Brother Charles and Lolita Kelsey
21:46 < Bluestreak> #fedup
21:46 < Bluestreak> #annoyed
21:46 < Bluestreak> ...
21:46 < jokeefe> lessig, certainly in the area.  Doctorow hasn't been
        here that often.
21:46 < Bluestreak> Good idea
21:47 < jokeefe> would be good to invite Brother Charles and Lolita
21:47 < Bluestreak> Was here to sell us his book tho want he
21:47 < jokeefe> any comments on the survey?
21:47 < srevilak> Also, for all of the mass surveilance that goes on,
        would like to get people of color to talk about their experiences,
        pre and post snowden
21:47 < Bluestreak> Better idea to invite our local friends
21:48 < Bluestreak> we have enough rich white dudes already!
21:48 < jokeefe> aye on both points
21:49 < jokeefe> so no comments? srevilak, were the ones I sent useful?
21:50 < srevilak> srevilak: yes, piratecon survey form comments have
        been very helpful
21:50 < Bluestreak> I need to think longer about my answers... sorry...
21:50 < srevilak> should we decide on a window for accepting comments?
21:51 < srevilak> (ie, start when, end when)
21:51 < jokeefe> good to hear.  Would like to get a post up about it
        by Monday.  Sound reasonable?
21:51 < srevilak> jokeefe: I think so.
21:51 < srevilak> Will send a shout-out when the next batch of edits
        are in
21:51 < jokeefe> Two weeks window?
21:51 < jokeefe> thanks, srevilak
21:53 < jokeefe> Bluestreak, is two weeks enough time for people to
        submit survey results?
21:53 < srevilak> jokeefe: I think two weeks is reasonable
21:54 < Bluestreak> I....
21:54 < Bluestreak> I don't know!
21:55 < jokeefe> no worries I don't know either ;-)
21:56 < jokeefe> Next Cryptoparty?
21:57 < jokeefe> or is there too much to do the rest of the year.
        ok to put off deciding
21:59 < Bluestreak> Sorry not my best night.
21:59 < jokeefe> no worries.
21:59 < jokeefe> motion to adjourn?
22:00 < srevilak> second motion to adjourn
22:00 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:01 < jokeefe> aye
22:01 < srevilak> aye
22:01 < jokeefe> srevilak, wlll you post the notes?
22:01 < srevilak> jokeefe: will do
22:01 < jokeefe> motion passes
22:01 < jokeefe> thank you