November 14th, 2013 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Agenda

  1. Events this weekend - Sat. protests, Sun. platform meeting
  2. 11/23 cryptoparty
  3. Fundraising
  4. Posting more on the blog

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, Arlington)
  • Igel (William Fleurant, Arlington MA)

Observers:

  • davidd
  • zby
  • Shidash

Summary

  • Jamie put the German pirate party platform in a git repository. Jamie will send url for cloning.
  • TPP protest. Groups to approach? GP, ACLU, AFL-CIO, JWJ, NLG, ACLU, Move to Amend, Restore the 4th, FSF, fightforthefuture.org

Meeting Minutes

21:02 < jokeefe> hi all
21:03 < srevilak> hi jokeefe 
21:03 < Kendra> Hi Everybody
21:03 < srevilak> jokeefe: I have a $250 contribution check -- will deposit on Sat am
21:04 < jokeefe> nice, I received one for $50
21:04 < srevilak> Good, we can get out of the red
21:04 < Kendra> I have one for when we meet on Sunday for $50
21:05 < jokeefe> those help a great deal.
21:08 < srevilak> FYI - I just stubbed out http://www.masspirates.org/wiki/November_14th,_2013_IRC_Meeting
21:08 < jokeefe> thanks.  I went to do it and saw it was already done
21:08 < srevilak> :)
21:08 < jokeefe> hi lgel
21:09 < Kendra> Hi Igel
21:09 < Igel> Hey alll
21:09 < Igel> William Fleurant, Arlington MA
21:09 < jokeefe> James O'Keefe, Somerville
21:10 < Kendra> Kendra Moyer Arlington, MA
21:10 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington MA
21:12 < jokeefe> So, Sat. is November Days of Action against Drone Killings- Boston - https://www.facebook.com/events/213209018858399/213658695480098/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity
21:12 < jokeefe> I think there is something else, but I cannot find it.
21:13 < jokeefe> Sunday is the platform meeting in Boston
21:13 < jokeefe> I took the German PP platform and put it up on git, but I ran into a syncing issue.
21:14 < srevilak> jokeefe: what's the git URL to clone from?
21:17 < jokeefe> I will email it.  It is on another computer.
21:18 < srevilak> kthx
21:18 < jokeefe> If anyone is able to go to the Sat. Drone action, I will add that to calls for folks to attend it.
21:19 < jokeefe> Will folks be at the platform meeting?
21:19 < srevilak> aye
21:20 < Kendra> I plan to attend
21:20 < jokeefe> great
21:20 < jokeefe> Also, looks like we need to plan a protest of TPP with other groups.
21:21 < srevilak> jokeefe: that would be a good gesture
21:21 < jokeefe> Groups to approach?
21:21 < srevilak> massops?
21:22 < jokeefe> Aye, also GP, ACLU, AFL-CIO, JWJ
21:22 < Kendra> NLG, ACLU, Move to Amend, Restore teh 4th
21:22 < jokeefe> FSF
21:22 < Kendra> Law Schools
21:22 < srevilak> fightforthefuture.org just sent a mailing about TPP
21:24 < srevilak> Any idea when congress gets to vote on it?
21:24 < jokeefe> http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131114/00301825238/congress-may-not-be-so-eager-to-simply-hand-over-its-own-authority-to-obama-administration-to-approve-tpp.shtml
21:24 < jokeefe> http://delauro.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1455:delauro-miller-lead-151-house-dems-telling-president-they-will-not-support-outdated-fast-track-for-trans-pacific-partnership&catid=2:2012-press-releases&Itemid=21
21:25 < Kendra> http://www.democracynow.org/2013/10/4/a_corporate_trojan_horse_obama_pushes
21:25 < jokeefe> Bunch of Mass. House folks on the list.  Not Capuano
21:26 < jokeefe> yet, Lynch is
21:26 < jokeefe> I have no idea why they cannot organize these lists by state
21:27  * Igel look
21:28 < Igel> hmm
21:28 < Igel> there must be an api for that..
21:28 < jokeefe> if not there should be.  just json and javascript
21:29 < Igel> must be.
21:29 < Kendra> We might want to do our research and then put together an action.  We can send it around to other groups for a wider action once we have a time frame. 
21:29 < jokeefe> Looks like Neal and Capuano are not on the list
21:30 < jokeefe> All others seem to be
21:30 < jokeefe> Looks like 1st order is to get people to tweet/call to thank or urge them to sign on to it.
21:32 < jokeefe> Anyone heard of a TPP action day?
21:33 < Kendra> I imagine we will any minute now
21:33 < srevilak> no, at least not yet
21:33 < Igel> list of names in table https://ezcrypt.it/m27n#zREV7bDikH5sySGwyp2zYAD7
21:35 < jokeefe> thanks.  will it sort by last name?
21:35 < srevilak> jokeefe: agreed that getting people to talk about it (or write to their legislators) is a good place to start
21:35 < Igel> grrr.. http://whoismyrepresentative.com/api <-- not this..
21:37 < Igel> i found opencongress.. need house..
21:37 < jokeefe> not RESTful?
21:37 < jokeefe> http://whoismyrepresentative.com/getall_reps_bystate.php?state=MA
21:39 < srevilak> Move along to cryptoparty (time is now 21:39)
21:39 < srevilak> ?
21:40 < jokeefe> yes
21:40 < jokeefe> schedule
21:40 < srevilak> I can try a first cut tomorrow evening
21:40 < jokeefe> Zak wants to go early.
21:41 < srevilak> saw that -- has to be out by 13:30
21:41 < jokeefe> Earlier I think.  Let me check.  I can give him and Al a ride.
21:41 < srevilak> Mike Rushton was a good suggestion
21:42 < jokeefe> 12:15-12:30
21:42 < srevilak> Ok, Zak goes in the am
21:42 < jokeefe> We looking for hour long sessions?
21:42 < srevilak> I think hour-long is a good starting point
21:42 < jokeefe> starting at 10am, I believe, correct?
21:43 < srevilak> looking at https://pad.riseup.net/p/nov23-crypto
21:43 < srevilak> Kendra - are you still up for doing Jitsi?
21:44 < srevilak> And, does anyone know if Al confirmed Bitcoin (I believe Lucia asked him about it)
21:45 < Kendra> Yes I can do Jitsi.  I would also suggest opening doors a little early (30 mins if possible) so people can start at 10am if people want coffee or something.  I have not talked to  Al recently, I can probably email him. 
21:45 < Kendra> I will need a ride too. 
21:46 < Kendra> What were you going to ask Mike Rushton to do?
21:46 < srevilak> Kendra - would be great if you can follow up with Al.  Thx
21:46 < jokeefe> Please do.  I told him I would give him a ride.  Thanks
21:46 < srevilak> Kendra: I can give you a ride
21:47 < srevilak> Kendra: I'd imagine lefty would have something interesting to day.  Plus, he lives on Lowell
21:47 < jokeefe> what does he know?
21:48 < srevilak> I've never met lefty personally, just know him from obit
21:48 < srevilak> Also, Lefty used to be involved with SETC a lot
21:48 < jokeefe> http://leftyfb.com/ ?
21:48 < jokeefe> Always good to have local talent
21:49 < srevilak> jokeefe: that's probably his website.  He goes by leftyfb
21:49 < jokeefe> Start things on the hour or half hour?
21:49 < srevilak> On the hour seems straightforward, no?
21:50 < srevilak> Igel: could you organize an hour on mesh?  (You, or someone else presenting?)
21:50 < Kendra> Do we have our time slots planned out yet?  If we start at 10:00 we can maybe have a early coffee break before at 9:30 then start right at 10.
21:50 < srevilak> Kendra: https://pad.riseup.net/p/nov23-crypto - we're mapping out times now
21:50 < Igel> i'll try.
21:51 < jokeefe> yes, but if we start at 10:30, then it allows us to open at 10am and but give folks 30 min to trickle in
21:51 < jokeefe> hope you can, lgel, I missed your last talk
21:51  * Igel look at pad/riseup
21:52  * Igel got a few laughs from the croud.. it was very bright on stage tho :/
21:52 < srevilak> So, 10-10:30 for trickle in, and 4:30 - 5 for socializing?
21:52 < jokeefe> or I could do What digital finger prints do you leave for 30 min
21:52 < Igel> following saturday
21:53 < srevilak> jokeefe: that could be a good opening talk
21:53 < jokeefe> I better get cracking
21:53 < Kendra> What is Al's last name again?
21:53 < srevilak> jokeefe: I know that feeling :)
21:54 < jokeefe> Willis
21:54 < Igel> im getting d/c from the pad -- i'll let you know and update tomorrow if i am able to get some routers in
21:55 < srevilak> Kendra: gpg --recv-key B12E7C4A will give you Al's email
21:55 < jokeefe> thanks
21:55 < jokeefe> So, got a decent start to an agenda at https://pad.riseup.net/p/nov23-crypto
21:56 < jokeefe> I am fine with not doing TrueCrypt if lgel and Al can do it.
21:56  * Igel pulling names, i hope to get some of them, missed some of the .jr doh
21:56 < srevilak> I'll see if lefty is free, and if he's interested in taking one of my topics. (Variety of speakers, and all that)
21:57 < jokeefe> aye
21:58 < jokeefe> Next, fundraising
21:58 < srevilak> I'll start with a simple fundraising suggestion 
21:59 < jokeefe> please
21:59 < srevilak> On any announcement we send out, either include a short ask, or, include a donate link
21:59 < Igel> https://ezcrypt.it/n27n#vHUS3COzfldKkdkNH9oYyzjq
22:00 < jokeefe> They usually do, the top left corner.  But is unobtrusive/unnoticed.  The ask should be in the body text.
22:00 < srevilak> Rationale: MSPCA, Planned Parenthood, SPLC, ACLU are all pretty aggressive about asking for money as often as they can
22:00 < srevilak> Perhaps, it doesn't hurt to ask
22:01 < jokeefe> You cannot receive, when you do not ask.
22:01 < jokeefe> agreed
22:01 < Kendra> We might want to do something more visible and festive on the front page like a big candy cane or some other graphic.   THere will be a lot of competition right now, but it is an interesting time to ask.
22:02 < jokeefe> Yes, I went looking at the site and realized we make it too hard to find it.
22:02 < Kendra> Speaking of which, I got an email from VS saying that our fund raising event was from 1-3 or something like that on 12/28.  Did anyone give that time?  We can probably clear it up. 
22:03 < srevilak> Kendra: I had 1-3pm on Dec 14th
22:03 < Kendra> OK it seems like they gave the time for the Crypto party and the other date. 
22:04 < srevilak> But we should get to consensus on dates :)
22:04 < srevilak> Do we still want to try phone banking?
22:04 < Kendra> Is that just cold calling and asking for donations?
22:05 < srevilak> Kendra: yes, basically
22:06 < jokeefe> I think we have to
22:06 < Kendra> Depending on what the time frame is we have a few options.  We should have a regular donation button/page.  We should phone bank, but I think face to face is more effective. 
22:06 < jokeefe> What do folks think of the new top items on the site
22:06 < jokeefe> http://masspirates.org/blog/
22:07 < srevilak> jokeefe: looks good
22:08 < jokeefe> Don't like Donate Today!
22:08 < jokeefe> better suggestions?
22:09 < Igel> was this needed https://ezcrypt.it/o27n#PQfZnJPv5EgRvNYdqjA7j69G
22:09 < srevilak> jokeefe: sorry, I was looking at top posts, as opposed to header
22:10 < jokeefe> to the right of the Pirate Party logo and words
22:10 < srevilak> jokeefe: is "send dubloons" too obscure?
22:10  * Igel wish other uspirate websites would maintain as well as masspirates / minnpirates sites do... hmm
22:10 < jokeefe> yeah
22:10 < jokeefe> We can do better, though
22:11 < srevilak> Maybe "contribute" instead of "donate".  I'll think about it.
22:11 < Kendra> DONATE NOW!!!
22:12 < Kendra> Spelled out on a blinking candy cane
22:12 < jokeefe> like minn pirates liquid feedback system - http://wadobo.com/
22:12 < Igel> hehe
22:12 < jokeefe> worth a look
22:13 < srevilak> jokeefe: pyrix donation page says we've raised $1153 out of $1000.  Can we change that?
22:13 < jokeefe> yes
22:13 < srevilak> (i.e., to give the impression we're working towards a goal, rather than exceeding it?)
22:15 < jokeefe> 3000?
22:16 < jokeefe> Set it to 3000
22:16 < Igel> still fighting some evil virii... i think im going to sign off soon
22:16 < srevilak> 3k works for me
22:17 < srevilak> Igel: hope you feel better
22:17 < jokeefe> hope you recover quickly, lgel
22:17 < Igel> thanks.... ill let you know if i can bring routers...
22:17 < Igel> could somebody scoop me up if things work out?
22:18 < Igel> if theres a carpool up to lowell, yaar... lemmie kno
22:19 < srevilak> Igel: I have a two seater, but both seats are full :(
22:19 < srevilak> Could carry stuff though
22:20 < jokeefe> I have space, lgel
22:21 < Igel> okay then, i'm pressing to get remaining code finished this weekend.. fever permitting
22:21 < Kendra> story to share:  https://www.truthdig.com/report/print/the_revolutionaries_in_our_midst_20131110
22:22 < srevilak> shall we move on to 4. Posting more on the blog ?
22:22 < Igel> then we can school some lowell folk :)
22:22 < Igel> keep it up all, night
22:22 < srevilak> night Igel 
22:22 < jokeefe> night
22:22 < Kendra> nite
22:22 < jokeefe> https://secure.piryx.com/donate/ZeBuHGQi/Massachusetts-Pirate-Party/
22:23 < srevilak> jokeefe: pyrix page looks much nicer :)
22:23 < jokeefe> I changed the contribution amount categories and allowed a monthly donation option
22:24 < srevilak> nice
22:24 < jokeefe> Any progress on taking bit coin contributions?
22:25 < srevilak> not yet.  I gave a cryptoparty last night :)
22:25 < jokeefe> right!  how did it go?
22:25 < jokeefe> the one at harvard?
22:26 < srevilak> Mass college of art.  ~ 10 students.  Covered Tor, a little PGP, and a lot of politics
22:26 < jokeefe> nice!
22:27 < jokeefe> ok, blogging more
22:27 < Kendra> Thanks for doing that.  You're really getting around the area, Lowell next. 
22:28 < jokeefe> It would be good if we posted at least a few times a week on more than just upcoming events and party biz
22:28 < srevilak> I have pending public records requests to NSA and BRIC.  Will write about those when they play out
22:29 < srevilak> I'd also like to do a PR request to MBTA, for their data retention policies for surveillance camera footage
22:29 < srevilak> Could be another topic
22:29 < Kendra> I want to write about tech activism and Prism Break.
22:29 < jokeefe> sounds good
22:30 < Kendra> I don't know if it would make sense to do a schedule, people already have a lot going on 
22:30 < jokeefe> a periodic summary of where the NSA revelations would also be good.
22:30 < Kendra> NSA Weekly
22:30 < jokeefe> Certainly agreed.  Tweeting is easy, but seems less lasting
22:30 < jokeefe> Like the NSA Weekly idea
22:31 < srevilak> For me, the biggest obstacle is finding time :(
22:31 < jokeefe> I think it would be good to do a series of the activists and volunteers of MassPirates
22:31 < jokeefe> amen!
22:31 < jokeefe> Pirate Faces?
22:32 < jokeefe> The Pirates Next Door?
22:32 < Kendra> I think we all need to tap the brakes sometimes.  We all  have a lot of other obligations.  
22:32 < jokeefe> Or get more people
22:32 < jokeefe> and get more people
22:33 < srevilak> jokeefe: agreed, getting more people would help
22:33 < jokeefe> speaking of it, we are over time.  So shall we adjourn?
22:33 < srevilak> and I think we want to do that anyway
22:33 < Kendra> Second
22:33 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:33 < srevilak> aye
22:33 < Kendra> Aye
22:34 < jokeefe> aye
22:34 < srevilak> I'll post the transcript
22:34 < jokeefe> have a good night folks.  thanks for all the work you folks put in
22:34 < jokeefe> thanks!
22:34 < Kendra> Ok good nite.   thanks.