November 21st, 2013 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Agenda

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. 11/23 cryptoparty
    2. 12/5, 4-8pm, Remember Denis Reynoso, Park St., Boston. More info - Endorse?
    3. 12/14, December CryptoParty, Versus News
      1. Topic?
      2. Is there a flier/poster for it?
      3. Who will write the blog post?
  2. Support Outreach & Fundraising
    1. Phone banking
    2. 12/28 Fundraiser Status
  3. 2014 Campaign
    1. Map Crowd Sourcing post?
    2. Voter registration app?
    3. Platform
  4. Other events
    1. Don't Trade US Week - 12/16+
    2. 2014 Cryptoparties


Participants

  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Igel (William Fleurant, Arlington)
  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, Arlington)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • js0000 (john saylor waltham)


Observers:

  • hiro_protagonis
  • kate_m
  • gizah
  • Shidash
  • zby
  • davidd

Summary

Cryptoparty. Looking good. FSF mentioned it at http://www.fsf.org/events/20131123-lowell. Steve to find out what time we can arrive.

Remember Denis Reynoso. Endorsed.

Versus News Cryptoparty. Topic: GnuPG, media activism, freedom of press. Role of press in protecting whistleblowers. Need flyer.

Phone banking. Meet Saturday, and pick a few dates. We'll probably do this on work nights, and coordinate via IRC.

2014 Campaign. Igel, Bluestreak, JCFiero looking at maps. js0000 trying to get voter registration app running on heroku.

Don't Trade US Week. Bluestreak got a button maker. Lots going on in December. Perhaps this can be our first campaign for 2014.

2014 Cryptparties. We plan to continue cryptoparties in 2014. No concrete plans for Jan 2014 yet. Options: Unions, SETC, E5 Resident Organizations, IWW, Socialist alternative.

Meeting Minutes


[9:02pm] jokeefe: hi all
[9:02pm] srevilak: hi jokeefe
[9:02pm] Kendra: Hi peeps
[9:02pm] hiro_protagonis: hey there
[9:02pm] jokeefe: agenda at http://www.masspirates.org/wiki/November_21st,_2013_IRC_Meeting
[9:03pm] jokeefe: welcome fellow Pirates
[9:03pm] jokeefe: James O'Keefe, Somerville
[9:04pm] srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington
[9:05pm] Kendra: Kendra Moyer, Arlington
[9:06pm] Igel: William Fleurant, Arlington
[9:08pm] Bluestreak joined the chat room.
[9:09pm] jokeefe: hi, Bluestreak
[9:09pm] jokeefe: 11/23 crypto party looks good, been trying to advertise it.  whatever word people can get out would be helpful
[9:09pm] Bluestreak: Hi...
[9:09pm] jokeefe: agenda at http://www.masspirates.org/wiki/November_21st,_2013_IRC_Meeting
[9:09pm] Bluestreak: Sorry Sam was late at pick up ..again!
[9:09pm] Bluestreak: Lucia Fiero
[9:09pm] jokeefe: 12/5, 4-8pm, Remember Denis Reynoso event - more info at http://warrantless.org/2013/11/denis-reynoso/
[9:10pm] Kendra: It seems like there is some buzz at FSF about Saturday's cryptoparty.
[9:10pm] Bluestreak: Cool
[9:10pm] srevilak: http://www.fsf.org/events/20131123-lowell
[9:10pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:10pm] Bluestreak: Even AJ is excited about the cryptoparty
[9:10pm] Bluestreak: The game shop upstairs helps
[9:11pm] jokeefe:
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Endorse on Denis Reynoso rally?
[9:11pm] srevilak: jamie - how early can we arrive at lowell makes.  9:30?
[9:12pm] jokeefe: no idea, ask Kamal
[9:12pm] Bluestreak: Pick a topic any topic
[9:12pm] srevilak: will do
[9:12pm] Bluestreak: I vote yes to endorse
[9:12pm] jokeefe: thanks, srevilak
[9:13pm] srevilak: aye to endorsing
[9:13pm] Kendra: Aye to endorsing
[9:14pm] jokeefe: anyone else with opinions on endorsing the Denis Reynoso event?
[9:14pm] js0000 joined the chat room.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: hi js0000
[9:14pm] js0000:
[9:15pm] js0000: john saylor waltham
[9:15pm] jokeefe: on 1.2 - Remember Denis Reynos
[9:15pm] jokeefe: o
[9:15pm] jokeefe: http://www.masspirates.org/wiki/November_21st,_2013_IRC_Meeting
[9:15pm] jokeefe: aye for me
[9:15pm] jokeefe: ayes have it
[9:15pm] jokeefe: who will write a blog post on it?
[9:16pm] Bluestreak: I like Alex's piece
[9:17pm] Bluestreak: Copy and paste call it a "guest post"
[9:17pm] jokeefe: with a header about the rally - works for me.
[9:18pm] jokeefe: next - 12/14, December CryptoParty, Versus News
[9:18pm] jokeefe: topic?
[9:18pm] srevilak: Kendra - vs was interested in GnuPG, yes?
[9:18pm] srevilak: Or did they have another topic in mind?
[9:19pm] Bluestreak: Something media related?
[9:19pm] Kendra: Yes GnuPG, but we might also focus on media activist, freedom of the press, online anonimity etc.
[9:19pm] srevilak: sounds good
[9:19pm] js0000: so more social aspects instead of technical ones?
[9:19pm] jokeefe: key signing and GPG works, just want to have the info ready to post after Sat.
[9:20pm] Kendra: We should address barrett Brown, Julian Assange, Ed Snowden and the role of the press in protecting or not prtecting whistleblowers.
[9:20pm] srevilak: jokeefe: I'll work on post
[9:20pm] Bluestreak: Yes, K, great idea.
[9:20pm] jokeefe: thanks, plenty of ones to borrow from
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Is there a flier/poster for it?
[9:21pm] srevilak: No flyer yet
[9:21pm] Bluestreak: The role of encrypting to help those who NEED encrytion
[9:21pm] Bluestreak: for protection
[9:21pm] Kendra: Nothing so far.  I can go over to the office tomorrow and see what is going on. 
[9:21pm] srevilak: Kendra: thx
[9:22pm] jokeefe: ok, just wanted to suggest it so that we can get them up in time
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Support Outreach & Fundraising - phone banking
[9:23pm] Bluestreak: We can just set a time and do this from home, right?
[9:24pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:24pm] Bluestreak: Perhaps IRC with one another to coordinate
[9:24pm] Bluestreak: OK so when? Our schedule is remarkably full
[9:24pm] jokeefe: sounds good.  would be good to pick a few dates  hour here and hour there
[9:25pm] srevilak: doodle poll?
[9:25pm] Bluestreak: Sure
[9:25pm] jokeefe: sounds good
[9:25pm] Bluestreak: Week nights, right?
[9:25pm] jokeefe: maybe a sunday night as well
[9:26pm] Bluestreak: Will ppl be too tired this Sunday?
[9:26pm] jokeefe: earlier the better
[9:26pm] srevilak: How about work nights .. Sun through Thu?
[9:26pm] Bluestreak: (Sat's a long day!)
[9:26pm] jokeefe: yes, could start next weekend
[9:26pm] Kendra: Too busy.  i think we should talk in person on Saturday if there is time and pick a date in the next 2 weeks.
[9:26pm] jokeefe: fine by me
[9:26pm] Bluestreak: Sounds good
[9:27pm] jokeefe: moving on - 12/28 Fundraiser Status?
[9:27pm] Bluestreak: Only have Chance nailed down. Dance Friday ppl not going to work out
[9:28pm] Bluestreak: There's a conflict
[9:28pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:28pm] Bluestreak: Cary will make us a play list we can play while she is off at her thing
[9:28pm] Kendra: Have you talked to Sarah again?  I feel like there was some confusion about the Sat 12/14 cryptoparty and the Sat 12/28 fundraiser.  I have not been talking to Sarah and Angie.  II thought it was going to be on a Saturday.
[9:29pm] jokeefe: how about we make up a list of what we need and ask people to for help - equipment, food, musicians
[9:29pm] Bluestreak: So for live, I have rap/hip hop... idk how to classify Cary's play list.
[9:30pm] Bluestreak: Oh... I forgot to get back to Bonnie Rovics! (Rough week)
[9:30pm] Bluestreak: I will FB her right now. Prolly has plans by now: New Years
[9:30pm] Bluestreak: Can't hurt to check.
[9:31pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:32pm] jokeefe: what time is it supposed to start/end?
[9:32pm] Bluestreak: 7-11 right?
[9:32pm] Kendra: I can talk to a few people about playing music.  I am also able to help with preparing food, but not able to provide a lot due to being kind of broke at the moment.  I have a lot of pasta and rice that can be made delicious with some help..  Jamie did you talk to Sarah and get an idea bout a time for  12/28?
[9:34pm] Kendra: I can talk to her tomorrow if not.  I just want to make sure we are clear on the dates, times, etc.
[9:34pm] Bluestreak: We can get you money, Kendra
[9:34pm] Bluestreak: How much do you need?
[9:35pm] Bluestreak: Don't worry about the yearly limit.
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Was leaving it to you two to talk with Sarah
[9:35pm] jokeefe: thanks, Kendra
[9:35pm] Bluestreak: I thought we had settled on 7-11
[9:36pm] jokeefe: moving on to 2014 campaign
[9:36pm] jokeefe: Bluestreak, did you or J. ever get the Map Crowd Sourcing post written or the map setup?
[9:37pm] jokeefe: Know you two have been busy, just checking in
[9:37pm] Bluestreak: If I had a post completed I would have posted it.
[9:37pm] Igel: whats the software behind it? is it free?
[9:37pm] Bluestreak: I don't even know what you want the crowd to do.
[9:38pm] Bluestreak: The google earth platform is free but IDK... sigh... one sec
[9:38pm] jokeefe: break up what towns/districts are in each of the nine regions
[9:38pm] Bluestreak: i think he is out with his parents right now
[9:39pm] js0000: no update on voter-registration
[9:39pm] js0000: i am travelling over thanksgiving, but maybe will have time with heroku [ ... ]
[9:39pm] Bluestreak: Jason is getting on
[9:39pm] Bluestreak: they are home now
[9:40pm] Bluestreak: come back to this
[9:40pm] jokeefe: thanks, js0000
[9:40pm] jokeefe: thanks, Bluestreak, lets talk offline
[9:41pm] js0000: i guess the update is trying heroku now instead of my own server ...
[9:41pm] Bluestreak: MassGIS is also free Igel
[9:41pm] jokeefe: srevilak, did you get a chance to write up your notes from the Sunday issues meeting?
[9:41pm] Igel: aah.
[9:41pm] Bluestreak: jokeefe please give me a quick call after the meeting. thanks.
[9:41pm] • Igel looking at http://www.djangosites.org/s/map-ninux-org/ Bluestreak
[9:42pm] srevilak: jokeefe: sorry, no
[9:42pm] js0000: i thought it was a good start on sunday
[9:42pm] srevilak: jokeefe: will try to get notes written over the weekend
[9:42pm] Bluestreak: Jason was just going over the file he made Sunday night. He just can't get on now his parents want his attn
[9:42pm] Igel: like at here: https://seattlemeshnet-nodeshot.appspot.com/
[9:43pm] Bluestreak: Why are we looking at Seattle?
[9:43pm] • js0000 thinks "portlandia"
[9:44pm] jokeefe: srevilak, any idea when you might be able to get the notes written up?
[9:44pm] Bluestreak: js0000 LOL
[9:44pm] Igel: wow.. hmm
[9:44pm] srevilak: jokeefe: will try to get notes written over the weekend
[9:45pm] jokeefe: thank you so much.
[9:45pm] Igel: it was just an example of a croud sourced map system..
[9:45pm] Bluestreak: Oh. OK
[9:46pm] srevilak: jokeefe: np
[9:47pm] jokeefe: Don't Trade US Week - 12/16+ - is this something we have time or wait for next year?
[9:47pm] Bluestreak: We have a lot to do with the fundraiser still
[9:47pm] Bluestreak: We can talk up TPP at Arisia, if it isn't too late.
[9:48pm] jokeefe: agreed
[9:48pm] Bluestreak: TPP specific flyer would be nice
[9:48pm] Bluestreak: TPP with the red cirle slash buttons
[9:48pm] Bluestreak: We bought a button maker.
[9:49pm] Bluestreak:
[9:49pm] jokeefe: nice
[9:50pm] srevilak: Don't trade us would be a nice thing to do, but sounds like we've got lots to do w/ fundraiser + phone banking
[9:50pm] Bluestreak: OH! I just thought of something I would like schooling in: GIMP!
[9:50pm] Bluestreak: Image manipulation for button making
[9:51pm] Bluestreak: Perhaps for fun at the VS crypto party
[9:51pm] jokeefe: can show you.
[9:51pm] Kendra: I agree, we can have several poorly attended and executed events or fewer better events.  Remeber all the travelling and holiday stuff too.
[9:51pm] Bluestreak: Oh, please with what time, jokeefe?
[9:51pm] Bluestreak: ++ Kendra
[9:52pm] srevilak: Bluestreak: At some point, we'll probably do gimp @ our linux classes.  Will let you know.
[9:52pm] jokeefe: ++ Kendra
[9:52pm] Bluestreak: See ppl in media need to have images for their blogs and such
[9:52pm] Igel: coo
[9:52pm] Bluestreak: Bet ppl at Vs news would love to learn GIMP
[9:52pm] Bluestreak: (I know I would)
[9:53pm] Kendra: I know a little about GIMP and dana knows a lot, maybe that can be the next Linux class.
[9:53pm] Bluestreak: Tried to follow somr You Tube tutorials can't find any really good ones
[9:53pm] Bluestreak: OK cool
[9:54pm] Bluestreak: Oops got off topic
[9:54pm] Kendra: almost 10 o'clock
[9:54pm] Bluestreak: TY
[9:55pm] Bluestreak: Though I was late!
[9:55pm] jokeefe: so to summarize - too much to do, maybe later on the trade week. 
[9:55pm] Bluestreak: When is the vote?
[9:55pm] Bluestreak: to fast track?
[9:55pm] jokeefe: I read that fast track is dead in the house for now
[9:55pm] Kendra: It could be the first big thing we do next year.  We could generate buzz in the mean time and do our research.
[9:56pm] jokeefe: agreed.
[9:56pm] Bluestreak: ARISIA!
[9:56pm] Bluestreak: And we can dress up
[9:56pm] • Igel ducks
[9:56pm] Igel: hehe
[9:56pm] jokeefe: i will be there
[9:56pm] js0000: ty wikileaks for releasing tpp ...
[9:56pm] Igel: ^
[9:56pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:56pm] Bluestreak: Everyone can be there...
[9:56pm] Bluestreak:  Don't need membership to hang out in a hotel suite
[9:57pm] jokeefe: Bluestreak, lets just pick a date for the ARISIA party and publicize it
[9:57pm] Bluestreak: All weekend dude
[9:57pm] Bluestreak: We will have a suite
[9:57pm] srevilak: What's ARISIA?
[9:57pm] jokeefe: www.arisia.org
[9:57pm] Kendra: Can someone please clue me in to this?
[9:57pm] Bluestreak: Call me jokeefe I will bring you up to speed
[9:57pm] jokeefe: science fiction convention
[9:57pm] Kendra: nevermind and thanx
[9:57pm] jokeefe: ~2000 people
[9:57pm] Bluestreak: I will send all relevant info to the activist list
[9:58pm] Bluestreak: but the RIGHT ppl
[9:58pm] jokeefe: suggest picking a night and having a party, but lets talk
[9:58pm] Bluestreak: geeks
[9:58pm] srevilak: kthx
[9:58pm] Bluestreak: Ringy ding
[9:58pm] jokeefe: last on the agenda - 2014 Cryptoparties
[9:58pm] js0000: detroit is like sci-fi, but no special effects at end
[9:58pm] Bluestreak: Shut. Up.
[9:58pm] js0000: sry, nevermind
[9:58pm] srevilak: jokeefe: don't have any of the 2014 crypoparties planned out
[9:59pm] srevilak: but I plan to keep doing them
[9:59pm] Bluestreak: Gonna start picking on your home town, John
[9:59pm] Kendra: For 2014 Cryptoparties I suggest we approach some of the local unions and ask if people might be interested.
[9:59pm] Bluestreak: ++
[9:59pm] srevilak: Kendra: good idea
[9:59pm] jokeefe: ++ Kendra
[9:59pm] Bluestreak: Ooh good idea
[9:59pm] Bluestreak: We all agreee
[10:00pm] srevilak: SETC would also like us to do another cryptoparty there
[10:00pm] srevilak: Could also talk to E5, and maybe work with some of their resident organizations
[10:00pm] jokeefe: January?
[10:00pm] srevilak: We'll pick one and run with it 
[10:01pm] jokeefe: cool, thank you
[10:01pm] Bluestreak: Not the 17th to the 20th
[10:01pm] Bluestreak: That is Arisia
[10:01pm] jokeefe: cryptoparty at Arisia!
[10:01pm] Kendra: I  know IWW will want to do one, they are at E5 and Socialist Alternative has moved from UMass to meeting at E5.
[10:01pm] Bluestreak: Like a panel discussion
[10:02pm] Bluestreak: Perhaps we should talk to the organizers see if a space is free?
[10:02pm] Igel: whats this?
[10:02pm] jokeefe: ok, lets ask and see what we turn up.  I'll work on colleges
[10:02pm] Bluestreak: Arisia is mostly panel discussions
[10:02pm] Bluestreak: You will jokeefe?
[10:02pm] Bluestreak: Arisia collegues?
[10:02pm] jokeefe: ?
[10:03pm] Bluestreak: (Call me!)
[10:03pm] jokeefe: will do
[10:03pm] Kendra: If that is the case and if you are looking for an angle to work in a crypto-party, a lot of sci-fi deals with over reaching governments and repressive political systems. 
[10:03pm] jokeefe: aye.  FSF had a panel at Arisia last year, IIRC
[10:04pm] jokeefe: that is all for the agenda.  anything else folks want to bring up?
[10:04pm] Bluestreak: One thing
[10:04pm] Bluestreak: quickly
[10:04pm] Bluestreak: I have my new cards
[10:04pm] Bluestreak: but srevilak wanted me to wait...
[10:04pm] Bluestreak: and Kendra hasn't gotten me her 8 digit key
[10:05pm] Bluestreak: so now new cards for the rest of the officers
[10:05pm] Bluestreak: Talk about this by activist list?
[10:05pm] Bluestreak: not now: No... no new cards... Kendra pls get me you 8 digit key!
[10:05pm] jokeefe: talk among the people affected
[10:06pm] jokeefe: anything else?
[10:06pm] srevilak: One thing.
[10:06pm] srevilak: Arlington warrant articles open on Dec 3rd.
[10:06pm] Bluestreak: OK K and S get back to me when I email you, OK?
[10:06pm] srevilak: Would like to think of one to submit
[10:06pm] Bluestreak: wait what?
[10:07pm] srevilak: http://www.arlingtonma.gov/Public_documents/ArlingtonMA_Home/01C1761E-000F8513
[10:07pm] srevilak: I'd like to submit a pirate-y warrant article
[10:08pm] srevilak: I'm sure that Kendra and Igel do too 
[10:08pm] jokeefe: town meeting?  propose a surveillance camera / license plate scanner policy
[10:08pm] srevilak: That's a good idea
[10:08pm] srevilak: I'll pick up a submission packet and see what's involved (beyond gathering 10 signatures)
[10:08pm] jokeefe: ask ACLU
[10:09pm] srevilak: That's it for me
[10:09pm] Bluestreak: OK
[10:10pm] Kendra: Last thing, I was proud that the WTO (as foul as it is) is giving the PP with observer status.  We might tie that into the TPP demonstrations.
[10:10pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:10pm] Bluestreak: aye
[10:10pm] js0000: yeah, thx for sending that along kendra
[10:10pm] Bluestreak: Warms my heart!
[10:11pm] srevilak: If that's all
[10:11pm] • srevilak motions to adjourn
[10:11pm] Bluestreak: 2nd
[10:11pm] js0000 left the chat room. (until next time)
[10:11pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:12pm] Kendra: Aye, Thanks everyone for a great meeting.  We are slowing making progress.
[10:12pm] Kendra: Nite all.
[10:12pm] Kendra left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed)
[10:12pm] Bluestreak: I love her.
[10:12pm] Bluestreak: tee hee
[10:12pm] Bluestreak: Good night
[10:12pm] jokeefe: good night
[10:12pm] jokeefe: thanks all!
[10:12pm] Bluestreak: :-)