November 22nd, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Hearing for the Cambridge Surveillance Ordinance

Endorsements

Mayfirst Elections

Nominations

Chelsea Manning's Birthday

Chelsea Manning's Birthday is 12/17. What should we do for it?

Projects

Cryptoparties

DIGITAL SECURITY 101 training at the Somerville Cryptoparty on 11/30

Campaign Workshops

Starting Local Chapters

Fundraising

  • Mailing?
  • Party?

CCTV Camera Map

Together Boston Meshnet

Upcoming Events

  1. 11/30, 6-9pm, DIGITAL SECURITY 101 (Somerville Cryptoparty) @ Sprout, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  2. 12/10, noon, James will appear on The Show With BS, by Beyond the Horizon Radio Network
  3. 12/10, 1-3pm, Democracy/IT meeting, Arlington
  4. 12/17, Chelsea Manning's Birthday

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • moses (Kendra Moyer, Highland Park, MI)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, Highland Park, MI)
  • igel (william fleurant, arlington ma)

Observers

  • davidd
  • papegaai
  • Velveeta_Chef

Summary

Steve summarizes Cambridge City Council meeting, and handling of ACLU's surveillance policy proposal.

We discuss votes for the Mayfirst leadership committee.

Chelsea Manning's birthday is 12/17. There's a petition to commute her sentence to time served.

Minutes

 
21:08 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/November_22nd,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:08 < jokeefe> ids
21:08 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:08 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:08 < jokeefe> thanks for everyone’s attendence
21:08 < moses> Moses, West Tisbury
21:08 < Kendra> Kendra Moyer, Highland Park, MI
21:09 < jokeefe> anything to add to the agenda?
21:10 < moses> nay
21:10 < srevilak> I can provide a review of Cambridge City Council meeting
21:10 < srevilak> if that would be of interest
21:11 < jokeefe> it would
21:11 < jokeefe> why don’t we start with that then
21:11 < srevilak> Okay, reviews ...
21:11 < srevilak> This was my first cambridge city council meeting.
        I arrived at 18:40, I think that was shortly after the public comment
        portion of the meeting started
21:12 < srevilak> A number of people spoke in favor of the ACLU
        Surveillance policy bill
21:12 < srevilak> One fellow did a very nice job of explaining NSA
        capabilities, and basically saying "cambridge should not be a part
        of this"
21:13 < srevilak> There were also items, re: sanctuary city and immigrant
        voting for local offices
21:13 < srevilak> Many commenters spoke about >= 2 of these issues
21:14 < srevilak> The council voted to send the surveillance policy to
        their ordinance committee for transcription
21:14 < srevilak> I *think* that means, "to draft up as ordinanace"
21:14 < srevilak> I presume that city council will get to review final
        draft, but I'm not sure
21:14 < srevilak> Spoke with Alex and Kade afterwards.
21:14 < srevilak> I'm interested in submitting a warrant article of this
        sort for arlington
21:14 < srevilak> <end of summary>
21:15 < jokeefe> thanks. yes, it would be good to get it in Arlington
        as well
21:15 < jokeefe> Endorsements - Mayfirst Elections
21:16 < jokeefe> srevilak - would you speak on it?
21:16 < srevilak> Sure
21:16 < srevilak> We are members of mayfirst, and they provide our mail
        and web hosting
21:17 < srevilak> They're not an ISP so much as an activist group,
        which provides tech to other activist groups
21:17 < srevilak> Organization has a 12-member leadership committee who
        makes a lot of the strategic decisions for the organization
21:17 < srevilak> As members, we're entitled to vote for leadership
        committee members
21:18 < srevilak> THere are six nominations, and five positions available
21:18 < srevilak> https://vote.mayfirst.org/nominations/2016
21:18 < papegaai> Title: Nominations | MFPL Voting Site / PMEP Sitio de
        votación (at vote.mayfirst.org)
21:18 < srevilak> I'd like to see us vote
21:18 < srevilak> jokeefe: I think you'll have to submit the ballot,
        though
21:18 < srevilak> I was hoping to talk about who we might want to support
21:19 < srevilak> <end of intro>
21:19 < jokeefe> I can post whatever we decide, though happy to forward
        any url on to you, srevilak
21:20 < jokeefe> any recommendations, srevilak?
21:20 < igel> william fleurant, arlington ma
21:20 < igel> ahoy :)
21:20 < Kendra> Is it a group vote?
21:20 < srevilak> Kendra: yes, we have to vote as an organization
21:21  * srevilak is also an individual member, who gets to vote in
        that capacity
21:21 < jokeefe> ahoy igel
21:22 < jokeefe> good to see Micky Metts as a nominee
21:22 < srevilak> yes
21:23 < jokeefe> discussion?
21:23 < jokeefe> or is everyone still reading the bios?
21:24 < srevilak> I have thoughts, but would like to let others speak
        first
21:26 < moses> Ashley or Micky
21:27 < Kendra> I know a few people.  I think Alfredo should let s
        oMoyetomher assume leadership for this round, considering his other role.
        I'd vote for the other five, it seems like a small pool.
21:28 < jokeefe> we can choose both, moses
21:28 < Kendra> that should read he should let others be on the leadership
        committee due to his other prominent role at mfpl
21:28 < Kendra> imo
21:29 < moses> lovely!
21:29 < jokeefe> ahoy Castaway
21:29 < Castaway> Ahoy!
21:30 < jokeefe> what is Alfredo’s other role at mfpl?
21:30 < Castaway> I don't know?
21:31 < srevilak> jokeefe: Alfredo is one of MF/PL's founders.
21:31 < Kendra> it's complicated, but he is a co-founder and has also
        been a paid employee, I don't know if he  is currently.  But there is
        non-profit drama
21:31 < jokeefe> was directing my question at Kendra, Castaway
21:31 < srevilak> Regardless of LC position, he's likely to get a voice
        in the decision making process
21:31 < Kendra> around how power is distributed over there
21:31 < igel> Castaway: we're viewing
        https://vote.mayfirst.org/nominations/2016
21:31 < papegaai> Title: Nominations | MFPL Voting Site / PMEP Sitio de
        votación (at vote.mayfirst.org)
21:32 < jokeefe> are any employees among the nominees. Kendra?
21:33 < Castaway> Thanks
21:34 < srevilak> jokeefe: AFAIK, MF/PL has three employees.  None of
        them are running for LC in this election
21:34 < Kendra> I can't say for sure, I kind of stopped paying attention.
21:34 < igel> i know Micky does a bunch between fsf, boston linux
        usergroup and tons gnu/libre .. but Alfredo mission statement is
        well.. acclimated
21:36 < jokeefe> any other discussion?
21:37 < Kendra> Honestly, it will be a landslide for Alfredo due to his
        history with the organization.  Micky has been more involved in the past
        few years and is very invested in worker owned tech coops
21:37 < igel> also: socialism :)
21:38 < Kendra> I don't know the others
21:38 < srevilak> Another thing to consider: MF/PL is co-headquartered
        in NYC and Mexico City.
21:39 < srevilak> IMHO, votes should have a mix of both regions
21:39 < Castaway> What kind of tech coops?
21:39 < Castaway> There’s a new nonprofit/PAC/501(c)4 called Rights
        and Democracy in Vermont and New Hampshire, how could this organization
        connect with MF/PL?
21:39 < Kendra> web dev coops, but also things like equal exchange
21:40 < jokeefe> https://mayfirst.org/en/index.html
21:40 < papegaai> Title: May First/People Link (at mayfirst.org)
21:40 < Kendra> worker owned cooperatives in general, but she is part
        of agaric drupal dev coop
21:41 < Castaway> Cool. Thanks. More importantly, is there a national
        Pirate Party to help organize Pirate Parties in states that lack them?
21:41 < Castaway> Like Vermont?
21:42 < Kendra> we can add that to the agenda if you likr
21:42 < Castaway> That would be great.
21:43 < jokeefe> yes Castaway uspirates.org
21:43 < Castaway> Vermont needs a Pirate Party, and Rights and Democracy
        might be able to connect with the New Hampshire Pirates. Are they active?
21:44 < jokeefe> email info@masspirates.org and we can put you in touch
        with the Maine and NH pirates
21:44 < jokeefe> thanks for joining us Castaway
21:44 < Castaway> OK, thanks
21:45 < Castaway> Thank you!
21:45 < jokeefe> Any other discussion?  srevilak, I believe you were
        holding off for others?
21:46 < srevilak> I will second Kendra's opinion.  Alfredo is one of
        the founding members, and will have a voice in the org regardless of
        whether he's on the LC
21:46 < srevilak> I would vote for the other five
21:47 < jokeefe> Seems like a reasonable view to me
21:47 < jokeefe> so we have a proposal on the table to vote for all
        except Alfredo.
21:48 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:48 < Kendra> aye
21:49 < srevilak> aye
21:49 < jokeefe> aye
21:50 < jokeefe> any other?
21:50 < jokeefe> ayes, that is?
21:50 < jokeefe> any opposed?
21:51 < igel> nay
21:53 < jokeefe> thanks. Motion passes 3 to 1 then
21:53 < jokeefe> Chelsea Manning's Birthday is 12/17. What should we do
        for it?
21:54 < Castaway> Impeach Donald J. Trump?
21:54 < srevilak> Petition to commute chelsea manning's sentence to
        time served
21:54 < srevilak>
        https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/commute-chelsea-mannings-sentence-time-served-1
21:54 < papegaai> Title: Commute Chelsea Mannings Sentence to
        Time Served | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government (at
        petitions.whitehouse.gov)
21:55 < Castaway> Is there a deadline for pardons?
21:55 < jokeefe> well, that has to be done by 12/14, so can also urge
        people to sign it, for what is it worth
21:55 < Castaway> yes
21:56 < srevilak> Castaway: deadline is probably 1/19, before new
        administration moves in
21:56 < jokeefe> don’t think Trump will parson Manning, so last day
        of Obama’s term would be it for the next four years
21:56 < jokeefe> pardon Manning, that is
21:56 < Castaway> You mean 8 years, unless he's impeached
21:57 < jokeefe> I remain optimistic
21:57 < srevilak> 8 years, unless he's impeached, or doesn't win
        re-election built
21:57 < srevilak> 8 years, unless he's impeached, or doesn't win
        re-election bid
21:57 < Castaway> Has anyone seen reports of voter suppression among
        people of color?
21:57 < jokeefe> he builds the best re-elections
21:58 < Castaway> Ha, ha
21:58 < srevilak> and makes China pay for them
21:58 < jokeefe> what with the voter id laws, wouldn’t really be
        surprised
21:59 < srevilak> According to
        http://billmoyers.com/story/2016-election-lawsuit-tracker-new-election-laws-suits-challenging/
21:59 < papegaai> Title: 2016 Election Lawsuit Tracker: The New Election
        Laws and the Suits Challenging Them - BillMoyers.com (at billmoyers.com)
21:59 < srevilak> there was a bit of litigation around voting laws
21:59 < jokeefe> thanks
21:59 < Castaway> No, there was this insane program among Republican
        secretaries of state called Crosscheck, and it purged Uge numbers of
        voters from the voter rolls in swing states
22:00 < jokeefe> we are almost at time, any other suggestions for
        manning’s birthday?
22:00 < jokeefe> support letter writing campaign, donations to legal fund?
22:00 < igel> yeah... in the VP-elect state
22:00 < Kendra> sounds good
22:00 < srevilak> jokeefe: yes.  Or at least blog post
22:00 < srevilak> I'll volunteer to draft one
22:00 < jokeefe> thanks
22:01 < srevilak> Also, do we want to do a post about noDAPL?
22:01 < jokeefe> yes
22:01 < igel> ^
22:01 < jokeefe> is my thought
22:02 < jokeefe> anyone willing to draft a post on noDAPL?
22:02 < srevilak> Am planning to go to Plymouth for day of morning.
        I'm sure I'll come away with something from that
22:02 < Castaway> I hope you do write a post on noDAPL. I'll check the
        US Pirate Party website for info about organizing.
22:02 < jokeefe> thanks.  just put it up on an etherpad and we can
        make suggestions
22:03 < Kendra> motion to ajourn
22:03 < jokeefe> 2nd
22:03 < Castaway> OK
22:03 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:03 < Kendra> aye
22:03 < srevilak> aye
22:03 < jokeefe> Castaway -
        https://blog.pirate-party.us/we-need-you-here-are-some-tools/
22:03 < papegaai> Title: We need you! Here are some tools! | United
        States Pirate Party (at blog.pirate-party.us)
22:03 < Kendra> nite
22:03 < jokeefe> good night
22:03 < srevilak> will post transcript
22:03 < jokeefe> thank you