November 29th, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Endorsements

Projects

Cryptoparties

DIGITAL SECURITY 101 training at the Somerville Cryptoparty on 11/30

MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign

Campaign Workshops

Starting Local Chapters

Fundraising

  • Mailing?
  • Party?

CCTV Camera Map

Together Boston Meshnet

Upcoming Events

  1. 11/30, 6-9pm, DIGITAL SECURITY 101 (Somerville Cryptoparty) @ Sprout, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  2. 12/10, noon, James will appear on The Show With BS, by Beyond the Horizon Radio Network
  3. 12/10, 1-3pm, Democracy/IT meeting, Arlington
  4. 12/17, Chelsea Manning's Birthday

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • G (Garret Kirkland, Lowell)
  • moses
  • Kendra

Observers

  • Casey
  • davidd
  • papegaai
  • Velveeta_Chef

Summary

Digital security 101. Training tomorrow at sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville, MA. https://www.cryptoparty.in/boston. 6--9pm. Possibly other cryptoparties at e5 in January, and maybe another one around Jan 20th.

Avenues to pursue for future cryptoparties: Mike Connolly & supporters. Or on act-ma, "would you like to help organize a cryptoparty with your group". There's also an idea (with Jason L), to hold one over the winter break. For high school students.

MAAPL fight foreclosure campaigns. 32 days left until MA's (crappy) law limiting contestations to 1 year kicks in. Will continue to do outreach.

Campaign workshops. Still looking for new sites. Audio for first talk is posted. Audio from second talk should go up real soon now.

Starting local chapters. Plan to identify people who were interested in starting local chapters, and begin conversations to get the local chapters off the ground.

Fundraising. Will continue making pitches in email. May also wish to hold a fundraiser in Jan/Feb (akin to our Democracy Center Fundraiser, from a few years ago)

CCTV Camera app. Camera mapping on hold, until the weather improves.

Together Boston Meshnet. Together boston organizers wanted to build a meshnet for the festival. Igel is working with them.

IT Meeting. Still scheduled for Dec 10th, 1--3pm. Steve's house.

Minutes

 
21:00 < jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/November_29th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:00 < papegaai> Title: November 29th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate
        Wiki (at masspirates.org)
21:00 < jokeefe> ids please
21:00 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:00 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:00 < jokeefe> any additions to the agenda?
21:00 < G> Garret Kirkland, Lowell
21:01 < jokeefe> glad you could make it G
21:02 < G> blame Lu Lu for when i miss it
21:02 < G> as a rule
21:02 < G> :)
21:02 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:02 < jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/November_29th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:02 < papegaai> Title: November 29th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate
        Wiki (at masspirates.org)
21:02 < jokeefe> still at ids
21:03 < Kendra> Hi Kendra Moyer in Highland Park, Michigan
21:03 < jokeefe> any additions to the agenda/
21:03 < jokeefe> ?
21:04 < srevilak> Agenda looks okay to me
21:05 < jokeefe> since there no Reviews or Endorsements requests …
        moving on to Projects then
21:05 < jokeefe> DIGITAL SECURITY 101 training at the Somerville
        Cryptoparty on tomorrow
21:06 < jokeefe> https://www.cryptoparty.in/boston
21:06 < papegaai> Title: boston [CryptoParty.] (at www.cryptoparty.in)
21:06 < jokeefe> 6-9pm
21:06 < jokeefe> 339R Summer Street, Somerville
21:07 < jokeefe> Possibly another one in January at e5. Waiting to hear
        back on a date/time.  Suggested on or around Jan 20
21:08 < jokeefe> I believe the Somerville cryptoparty for Dec. is still
        on 12/28, but will know tomorrow.
21:08 < jokeefe> Suggestions for other groups to reach out to?
21:09 < srevilak> Would it be worthwhile to send something to act-ma?
        Not announcing a specific event, but something to the effect of "would
        you like to have a cryptoparty with your group"?
21:10 < jokeefe> Cannot hurt.  The emails I have sent to act-ma do
        mention we are willing to run workshops for groups.
21:11 < Kendra> You should suggest a crypto party to Mike Connolly who
        just got elected in Somervile and his supporters, behind the leaks
21:11 < jokeefe> that is a good idea
21:11 < Kendra> He's a lawyer and very grass roots
21:12 < jokeefe> There is also the idea of holding one during the Winter
        break for high school students.  Waiting to hear back from JL about
        whether that will go forward.
21:12 < jokeefe> MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign
21:13 < jokeefe> 32 days to get 20 years of illegal foreclosures
        documented and submitted
21:13 < srevilak> It's going to be a run to the wire
21:13 < jokeefe> aye
21:13 < jokeefe> Asked to reach out to our members and ask them to:
21:14 < Kendra> Are you workign with a list?
21:14 < jokeefe> nope
21:14 < jokeefe> not that I know of
21:14 < jokeefe> plus people move
21:14 < Kendra> A lot of people don't know until it is too late
21:14 < jokeefe> 1. submit letters to the editor to local newspapers
21:14 < srevilak> The MAAPL folks have been doing their own outreach.
        Both in terms of foreclosure victims, and law students to collect
        intake data
21:15 < jokeefe> and community cable
21:15 < jokeefe> 2. get posters up
21:15 < jokeefe> I am willing to put the work in, but wanted to see who
        else is willing to help
21:17 < srevilak> I'm pretty tied up with the mappl IT end of things.
        It will be much of my bandwidth for the next few weeks
21:18 < jokeefe> I know. thanks anyway.
21:18 < Kendra> I would mention the OB Everyone List and get in touch
        with city life vida urbana, they have outreach resources into some
        vulnerable communitiees
21:19 < jokeefe> That would help.  Thank you, Kendra.
21:19 < jokeefe> Will get you text to send out.
21:20 < jokeefe> Anyone willing to submit letters to the editors/community
        cable and/or poster in your neighborhood?
21:21 < jokeefe> contact me if you can
21:22 < jokeefe> Campaign Workshops
21:22 < jokeefe> srevilak put out the first talk audio
21:23 < jokeefe> looking forward to the other talks when srevilak can
        get some spare cycles
21:24  * srevilak hopes to put up talk #2 later this week
21:24 < jokeefe> thanks
21:24 < srevilak> editing is done.  Just needs posting
21:24 < jokeefe> I hope to have some cycles to tie the slides to the audio
21:24 < jokeefe> still looking for new sites
21:25 < jokeefe> Starting Local Chapters
21:25 < jokeefe> Will create a smart list of local chapter volunteers
        and then contact them
21:27 < jokeefe> Could use people to field questions. was thinking of
        having a locals@masspirates.org that people can email to get help. does
        that sound workable?
21:27 < srevilak> Sounds reasonable to me.
21:28 < G> sounds good to me
21:28 < G> i can help with those, too
21:28 < jokeefe> thank you, G
21:29 < jokeefe> Fundraising
21:30 < G> for the big pirate hat giveaway?
21:30 < srevilak> :)
21:30 < G> :)
21:30 < jokeefe> :-)
21:31 < jokeefe> We would need to get a big hat or few
21:31 < jokeefe> Have to get an email done this week, so will make a
        pitch in it.
21:32 < G> i think we'll all need big hats
21:32 < G> but i digress. :P
21:32 < jokeefe> *I* already have one :P
21:33 < jokeefe> and it flips up on the right so as not to impede
        my cutlass
21:33 < jokeefe> never want to lose your hat in a sword fight
21:34 < jokeefe> Does a fundraiser in Jan/Feb seem doable?
21:35 < G> what kinda fundraiser?
21:37 < jokeefe> Like we did a few years ago. DJ, food
21:37 < jokeefe> could even be a masquerade :-)
21:39 < Kendra> If it is timed right, I'll come out there, a party always
        works, maybe get a band.
21:40 < jokeefe> Possible
21:41 < jokeefe> Feb. fundraiser.  May conference.  Aug. picnic ...
21:42 < jokeefe> nice 3 mo spread between them
21:47 < jokeefe> CCTV Camera Map - On hold in MA due to the weather. Still
        trying to get an easy to use app setup.
21:49 < jokeefe> Together Boston Meshnet
21:51 < jokeefe> They want to build a meshnet for the festival. They have
        been busy, but igel offered to help. Offered up some suggestions. Asked
        what they want the net to be. There is a slack channel if folks want
        to participate.
21:54 < jokeefe> Just a reminder that on 12/10, 1-3pm, we have a
        Democracy/IT meeting in Arlington
21:54 < jokeefe> srevilak, is it ok to post your address?
21:56 < srevilak> jokeefe: can we say "rsvp to info@masspirates.org if
        you want to attend", and then provide address?
21:56 < srevilak> If that's not too much trouble
21:56 < jokeefe> sure
21:57 < jokeefe> whatever you are comfortable with
21:58 < jokeefe> I emailed the local Manning support folks about what
        they are doing on her birthday.
21:58 < jokeefe> that is all I have.
21:59 < jokeefe> motion adjourn?
21:59 < srevilak> second the motion
22:00 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:00 < G> aye
22:00 < srevilak> aye
22:00 < srevilak> will post transcript