November 4th, 2020 IRC Meeting
- 1 Review
- 2 Decisions/Endorsements
- 3 Projects
- 4 Tabled Projects
- 5 Upcoming Events
- 6 Participants
- 7 Summary
- 8 Minutes
Set schedule for the conference
- noon-12:15pm - Captain's Introduction and Year Review
- 12:15-1pm - Where do we go from here?
- 1-2pm - Platform Discussion
- 2-2:30pm - Break
- 2:30-3:30pm - Speakers
- 3:30-4:30pm - Platform Discussion
- 4:30+ - Pirate Beer
- noon-12:30pm - Quartermaster's Introduction and Finances Report
- 12:30-2:00pm - Platform Discussion
- 2-2:30pm - Break
- 2:30-3:30pm - Platform Discussion
- 3:30-4:30pm - Platform Discussion
- Steve Revilak
How housing polices were used to segregate communities in the 20th century. There will be emphasis on zoning, which is generally the domain of local governments.
- Alexander Isavnin
State activities related to censorship, surveillance, political oppression on examples from Russia and neighboring countries.
- James O'Keefe
Running for office (can be prerecorded)
Choose date to test video conference software
Goals for Q3 2020:
- Organize meetups
- Revise platform
- Organize Fundraiser
- Organize candidate trainings
- Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed
Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)
- Come up with a how to instructions
- Paper - done
- iPhone - done
- Come up with how to videos
In-person events, including outdoor events, on hold until COVID-19 numbers go down.
- Schedule regular posts on blog
- Dividing up the platform and coming up with draft items
Dec. 4th Day Against DRM
Boston Pride Festival
- table booked
- setup signup sheet
- Need to purchase insurance
- Need volunteer sign up form
- Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?
- Free the Moderna Vaccine
- Planning meeting upcoming. Contact jokeefe for details if you want to attend.
- Planning new event
- Yes on 1
- Post on our support for it
- Who could reach out to campaign to ask how we can help?
- Yes on 2
- Post reminder of our support for it
- jokeefe reached out to campaign on helping. Will followup.
- Yard signs available.
- EARN IT Act
- PATRIOT Act renewal
- Legislature extended session
- Push to get Right to Repair bill to a vote.
- Some of facial recognition moratorium is in the police reform bill
Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion
Other To Do
- Application to PPI
- Post statement on Archive.org Suit
- Post statement on our support for Question 1: open access to vehicle telematics systems.
- Post statement on our opposition to S.4051 - Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act.
- Post statement on retaining section 230 protections. Docket RM-11862. Per TechDirt, 9/17 is the last date for submissions for the 2nd round. - done
Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:
- how to do basic labels in GIMP,
- work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
- similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group
Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.
- Every Tuesday, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, on-line
- 10/31, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, on-line
- 11/14-15, Party Conference
- Olivia_: Olivia Kristiann, PPI volunteer
- jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
- Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
- Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester
11am Saturday. Test video system for piratecon
7pm Sunday. Pirate news recording.
Conference planning: https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/MAPP2020PartyConferencePlanning
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/November_4th,_2020_IRC_Meeting [9:05pm] jokeefe: ids [9:05pm] jokeefe: Anything to add? [9:05pm] Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell [9:05pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville [9:07pm] jokeefe: Review [9:07pm] jokeefe: Should we review the election or did we do that last night? [9:07pm] Malt left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 258 seconds) [9:07pm] Malt joined the chat room. [9:08pm] jokeefe: ahoy [9:08pm] jokeefe: Should we review the election or did we do enough of that last night? [9:09pm] Malt: Thanked [9:09pm] Malt: I'm set [9:09pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements [9:09pm] jokeefe: I put up a proposed schedule at: https://masspirates.org/wiki/November_4th,_2020_IRC_Meeting#Set_schedule_for_the_conference [9:10pm] jokeefe: Look good or should we move anything around/change items? [9:12pm] Malt: Fine here! [9:12pm] jokeefe: Joe? Anyone else? [9:13pm] Joe: looks great. [9:13pm] Joe: we should probably review the video. maybe make edits to upload [9:14pm] jokeefe: We have 11 signups [9:14pm] jokeefe: My how to run video? [9:15pm] Joe: Sorry, I was referring to the national one. [9:15pm] jokeefe: If someone wants to edit the video, i create, that would be great. [9:16pm] jokeefe: Oh, ok. It should be live now. [9:16pm] srevilak joined the chat room. [9:16pm] [9:16pm] jokeefe: ahoy srevilak [9:16pm] Joe: I can but currently under lock down [9:16pm] Joe: ahoy [9:16pm] srevilak: hi all, just saw email that we were meeting tonight [9:16pm] Malt: Welcome! [9:17pm] jokeefe: no worries. [9:17pm] jokeefe: Schedule look good for you? https://masspirates.org/wiki/November_4th,_2020_IRC_Meeting#Set_schedule_for_the_conference [9:17pm] jokeefe: If you can edit the video Joe, that would be great. [9:18pm] srevilak: Looks good [9:18pm] Joe: can you upload it to mass youtube as a private video? [9:18pm] jokeefe: great [9:19pm] jokeefe: I would need to download the video first from youtube [9:20pm] jokeefe: Choose date to date video conference software [9:21pm] Joe: is it on there already on there? [9:21pm] jokeefe: I have the account for the video conference software. When could we test it? [9:21pm] Malt left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 258 seconds) [9:21pm] srevilak: What is "date to date video conference software"? [9:22pm] jokeefe: srevilak, did we agree to try Saturday at 11am? [9:22pm] srevilak: Not sure, but I can make it [9:22pm] jokeefe: corrected - Choose date to test video conference software [9:22pm] srevilak: ah! [9:23pm] Malt joined the chat room. [9:23pm] jokeefe: Joe, could you do a test Saturday at 11am? [9:23pm] jokeefe: Also Malt? [9:23pm] Joe: Right before the conference? [9:24pm] jokeefe: I updated OS and now IRC chat doesn’t automatically show the latest messages [9:24pm] jokeefe: Week before the conference [9:24pm] jokeefe: this Saturday [9:24pm] Malt: I can, yes [9:25pm] Malt: That's a fun bug! [9:25pm] Joe: I can do a test this weekend but will be quite distracted. [9:25pm] jokeefe: Have to keep scrolling up, Malt. It is a bit annoying. [9:26pm] Joe: should not be an issue so long as it is only a test. [9:26pm] jokeefe: Saturday, 11am it is. Will send out email to democracy/activists lists [9:26pm] jokeefe: Projects [9:27pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter/Podcast - Sunday 7pm recording ok? [9:27pm] Malt: Yup! [9:27pm] srevilak: yes [9:28pm] Joe: Aye [9:28pm] jokeefe: Topic ideas? [9:28pm] Joe: Pirate conference really. [9:29pm] srevilak: Does the rise and fall of fascism occur in cycles? [9:29pm] srevilak: Too much? [9:29pm] Joe: like the tides [9:29pm] jokeefe: Pirate conference promo would be good [9:29pm] jokeefe: srevilak, lol [9:29pm] Joe: on a scale of human social memory. [9:30pm] srevilak: Make 1946 great again! [9:30pm] jokeefe: seems too early to discuss it going out with the tides [9:30pm] jokeefe: aye, srevilak [9:30pm] Joe: lol [9:30pm] srevilak: One of my co-workers thinks it's a 100-year tide. So, just starting to come in [9:31pm] • Joe sighs. [9:31pm] Malt: I thought it was 250ish [9:31pm] srevilak: Malt: Think 1920's [9:31pm] Malt: Oh [9:31pm] Malt: Hm [9:31pm] srevilak: shit ... [9:31pm] srevilak: Sorry, I'm just grumpy tonight [9:32pm] Joe: Biden is winning at least. [9:32pm] jokeefe: got the popular vote at least [9:32pm] Joe: silver linings [9:33pm] Joe: this year the choice was either crazy or senile. [9:33pm] Joe: lets really start preparing for running candidates again [9:33pm] jokeefe: aye that [9:34pm] jokeefe: Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) - meeting set for 11am sat. [9:34pm] Malt: Pissed we lost q2 [9:35pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings/Events - Party Conference [9:35pm] jokeefe: Setup an etherpad: https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/MAPP2020PartyConferencePlanning [9:35pm] srevilak: Malt: yeah, Q2 was disappointing [9:36pm] jokeefe: Agree Malt, but it took three ballot initiatives to get greyhound racing banned. I think there are things we can do to improve the results next time. [9:38pm] jokeefe: They only got proportional representation in New Zealand when they kept electing minority governments with FPTP. [9:38pm] Malt: Get it on the front page? I heard some folk didn't turn theirs over [9:38pm] Joe: a lot of people seemed to be misinformed about RCV. they think the old system has work for 200+ years, why change... [9:38pm] jokeefe: That would help [9:39pm] jokeefe: Will have to look at the official results and see how many didn’t make a choice. [9:39pm] srevilak: What read do you get from this map: https://www.bostonglobe.com/elections/2020/ma/Question/2%20-%20Create%20Ranked-Choice%20Voting/ [9:40pm] jokeefe: Doesn’t list abstains, unfortunately. [9:41pm] srevilak: I was thinking more in terms of the clusters of cities that voted yes, vs the ones that didn't [9:41pm] jokeefe: good point [9:42pm] Malt left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 258 seconds) [9:43pm] Malt joined the chat room. [9:43pm] jokeefe: Boston area Rt 2 corridor and Pioneer Valley, parts of the Berkshires [9:43pm] srevilak: Compare with Q1: https://www.bostonglobe.com/elections/2020/ma/Question/1%20-%20Amend%20Right%20to%20Repair%20Law/ [9:43pm] Malt: The dem establishment seemed lukewarm [9:43pm] srevilak: Of cities reporting, Georgetown is the only one that went no [9:45pm] jokeefe: Springfield total vote is 47,000, which seems small [9:46pm] srevilak: Indeed. Population is 153k [9:46pm] Joe: I do not have much to add tonight, sorry. very distracted by my son whom is still awake. [9:46pm] Malt: I can't focus worth a single gosh darn [9:48pm] jokeefe: Let’s end then. Please add conference planning items to https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/MAPP2020PartyConferencePlanning [9:49pm] srevilak: will do [9:49pm] srevilak: Next, off to $work call at 22:00. [9:49pm] srevilak: will post transcript