October 16th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  1. Update on candidate status, campaign strategies

Decisions/Events Status

  1. Mask March
    1. Who is going?
    2. What do we want to do?

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • igel (William Fleurant, Arlington)
  • davidd (David van Deijk, eindhoven netherlands)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville)
  • kate_m (Kate Morrigan, Malden)
  • Kendra
  • bestpiggy
  • Lulu

Observers

  • Pharyngeal
  • zby

Events Summary

  1. Oct 20, Boston Security Conference #3, Kendall Sq., Cambridge
  2. Oct. 25, Newbury St. Shutdown
  3. Nov. 5, Million Mask March
  4. May 6, 2015, International Day against DRM.

Summary

Discussion of upcoming events and campaigns. Agenda pushed off to next week.

We discuss the most recent door flyer design for Noe.

Million mask march appears to be schedule for 8am on Wed Nov 5th. The time is a problem for several folks.

Minutes

 
21:02 < jokeefe> Starting - agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_16th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:02 < davidd> right after a sentence with the word eliminating
21:02 < jokeefe> ids, James O'Keefe, Somerville
21:03 < jokeefe> looking at it davidd
21:03 < igel> William Fleurant, Arlington
21:03 < noe> Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:03 < davidd> is this flyer suggesting to elimitae the bill of rights?
21:03 < jokeefe> no
21:03 < jokeefe> separate bullet point
21:04 < srevilak> davidd: I read it as "do you support all amendments
        in the bill of rights"
21:04 < kate_m> Kate Morrigan, Malden
21:04 < davidd> i understand that that is what it is supposed to mean,
        but it reads a bit weird
21:04 < jokeefe> What about switching the order?
21:04 < davidd> David van Deijk, eindhoven netherlands
21:05 < davidd> yes that could work
21:05 < jokeefe> would scan better since the length of the text would
        increase as you go down
21:05 < igel> the last bullet could be 1 line, somehow..
21:05 < jokeefe> consistently
21:06 < davidd> and i would put the picture on top on the frontside
21:06 < jokeefe> ?
21:06 < davidd> but good pictures
21:06 < davidd> both of them
21:07 < davidd> but i would add a verb to that bill of rigths line
21:07 < davidd> support, rescue, restore
21:08 < davidd> something along those lines
21:08 < srevilak> davidd: top of the flyer will have a hole in it (for
        hanging on doors)
21:08 < igel> aaah door hangers
21:08 < davidd> makes a lot more sense that way srevilak,
21:08 < jokeefe> igel, thought about putting transparency on the first
        line, but then the order would look off, and leading with an economic
        issue seems more appropriate
21:08 < davidd> better on the bottom then
21:09  * srevilak likes "restoring the bill of rights"
21:09 < jokeefe> yes, there will be less head space with the
        non-door-hanging fliers
21:09 < jokeefe> oooo
21:09 < igel> that works
21:09 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:09 < Kendra> hi
21:10 < jokeefe> agenda at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_16th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:10 < jokeefe> ids pretty much done
21:10 < jokeefe> critiquing Noe's campaign flyer
21:10 < jokeefe> at
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Ps3eiAOk5meDRYRGQxaVQ2UDQ/view
21:11 < srevilak> hi Kendra  and bestpiggy
21:11 < jokeefe> Like restoring the bill of rights statement, but based
        on space, would need to put it first
21:11 < bestpiggy> hello!
21:11 < srevilak> agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_16th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:11 < jokeefe> ahoy bestpiggy,
21:11 < srevilak> flyer we're talking about:
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Ps3eiAOk5meDRYRGQxaVQ2UDQ/view
21:11 < jokeefe> thanks srevilak
21:12 < jokeefe> Could do -  Restoring the bill of rights for everyone
21:13 < kate_m> May I suggest "A competent, transparent government
        accountable to the people" for the last one?
21:13 < kate_m> If you;'re stuck at two lines, you should use them
21:13 < igel> ja yea
21:13 < jokeefe> or Restoring the Bill of Rights for everyone
21:14 < davidd> i like the "for everyone"
21:14 < Kendra> Restoring the 4th Amendment
21:14 < jokeefe> like it
21:14 < jokeefe> kate_m
21:15 < Lulu> Fell asleep oops
21:15 < Lulu> seriously overtired.
21:16 < noe> Ahoy Lulu!
21:16 < jokeefe> no worries, lulu.  Kendra, we explicityly wanted to
        call out Noe's support for all ten amendments to the bill of rights
21:16 < Lulu> Ahoy...zzzzz
21:16 < igel> irc always fixes sleep :D
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Ps3eiAOk5meDRYRGQxaVQ2UDQ/view
21:16 < Kendra> ok
21:17 < jokeefe> updated version -
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Ps3eiAOk5mLW1fb2UyX0xpWGM/view?usp=sharing
21:18 < jokeefe> of the flyer, lulu
21:18 < kate_m> Is "restoring" better than "defending" in this context?
21:18 < Lulu> "Why vote Pirate?"
21:19 < Lulu> hey kate_m
21:19 < Lulu> how have you been?
21:19 < jokeefe> thanks for all the great feed back everyone
21:19 < srevilak> hmm "Eliminating government surveillance" or "and end
        to government surveillance"
21:19 < srevilak> But either is okay
21:19 < jokeefe> Restoring vs Defending - the point is we have lost so
        many we need to bring them back
21:20 < kate_m> I get that, but "restore" strikes me as more of a
        radical statement
21:20 < davidd> yeah, i would change the "do you support" with "Why
        vote Pirate"
21:21 < kate_m> I dunno if treading more delicately would make it more
        accessible to undecided voters
21:21 < srevilak> I liked "do you support" because each bullet forms
        a question.  "Do you support a living wage of ...", and so forth
21:21 < Lulu> dembots ain't changing their votes
21:22 < jokeefe> Right, but noe's dem opponent would say that she is
        defending rather than restoring.  need to contrast.
21:22 < Lulu> Doesn't the democratic party support a living
        wage? (ostensibly?)
21:22 < kate_m> $15 is more than the dems push for
21:22 < kate_m> unless I missed something
21:22 < jokeefe> I like Why vote Pirate?, but then I feel we would need
        to change the bullet text a bit.
21:23 < jokeefe> yes
21:23 < Lulu> They barely push for *11*
21:23 < jokeefe> kate_m
21:23 < igel> i think 15 is what seattle voted for? dunno..
21:23 < srevilak> Noe's opponent is has also shown reluctance to talk
        about 15/hr
21:23 < srevilak> igel: yes, but that was the socialist party, not
        the dems
21:23 < Lulu> good point, srevilak
21:23 < Lulu> about denise
21:23 < noe> I should mention (since we're mentioning living wage)
        if anyone is interested, 15 Now New England is holding a meeting this
        Saturday at 1pm at the West Roxbury Public Library
21:24 < Lulu> Will you be there?
21:24 < noe> I will probably post the meeting info to votenoelani tomorrow
21:24 < jokeefe> good
21:24 < Lulu> noe you will be there?
21:24 < noe> I have a family thing at 3pm, so probably not?
21:24 < Lulu> I understand
21:24 < jokeefe> noe, restoring or defending the Bill of Rights?
21:25 < Lulu> (I vote "restoring"
21:25 < Lulu> )
21:25 < noe> I will put out a general call to Somervillains on the blog
        along the lines of "this is how we have to fight for 15 in our communities
        and you should go to see how easy/hard it is"
21:25 < jokeefe> Also, Why vote Pirate? vs. Do you support?
21:25 < noe> I like restoring
21:25 < srevilak> jokeefe: I share your concern about rewording
21:26 < noe> I like Do you support?, but that's just me, either one I
        am fine with.
21:26 < srevilak> Kendra, bestpiggy: what do you think of the flyer?
21:27 < jokeefe> Any suggestions for a better body text font?
21:27 < jokeefe> I think I have Helvetica across the whole doc.
21:27 < igel> dont ask me, i stare at fixed width..
21:28 < jokeefe> lol
21:28 < jokeefe> kate_m?
21:29 < kate_m> um, are there any other materials out there already?
21:29 < davidd> well it "why vote pirate" is a bit more forceful, it is
        an instruction phrased as a question
21:29 < jokeefe> agreed, davidd
21:29 < davidd> also "Pirate party" appears only once if i counted
        correctly
21:29 < jokeefe> kate_m, the 1/4 single sided older version of this one
21:30 < bestpiggy> i think the flyer is good
21:30 < noe> I think we also have a trifold pamphlet,  which is the
        basic Pirate Party information
21:30 < jokeefe> noe - do you want to give a quick update?
21:30 < Lulu> "Why vote..." NOT Dem or Rep?
21:30 < Lulu> essentially
21:30 < kate_m> If you're shopping for alternative fonts, league gothic
        is pretty
21:30 < Lulu> what is different about Noe and about us...?
21:30 < kate_m> you can't fit gotham on that thing, it's too wide
21:31 < noe> this past weekend, i hosted the honk! parade on SCATV,
        did some interviews for them
21:31 < noe> Its possible that I have an interview with the Somerville
        Journal sometime soon?
21:31 < jokeefe> actually, I am wrong.  Headers are Trebuchet MS
21:31 < noe> I'm at about 1-2 blog posts on votenoelani a week and we're
        starting door-to-door knocking soon
21:32 < jokeefe> hopefully, noe, waiting to hear back.
21:32 < kate_m> jokeefe: what program did you make this in?
21:32 < Lulu> Srsly noe? that is SO COOL
21:32 < Lulu> The hosting of Honk, that is.
21:32 < jokeefe> kate_m: <hangs head> Apple Pages
21:32 < Lulu> LOL
21:32 < noe> We'll be incorporating PassMassAmendment
        (passmassamendment.org) petitions in our door-to-door.
21:33 < Lulu> Ain't no shame in dat
21:33 < jokeefe> if it works
21:33 < noe> I think that my opponent is not currently doing this,
        and hopefully this will get her to do it, too!
21:33 < davidd> whatever works best for you
21:33 < kate_m> dude
21:33 < Lulu> LOL
21:33 < kate_m> well, I can't help with it
21:33 < srevilak> noe: didn't know about SCATV & honk.  Very cool
21:34 < Lulu> irk?
21:34 < kate_m> I'm gonna sit over here with my formats that work on
        more than one brand
21:34 < noe> Oh, and a producer at SCATV just asked me to pass this on,
        hopefully they want to get Pirates to work on some programming.
21:34 < Lulu> Yes please!
21:34 < noe> Here's some word for word:  "I really want to have a show
        on: Today In Technology...on policy, new trends, concerns, ownership,
        engagement, and local events. Maybe a call-in show? "
21:34 < Lulu> The Pirate Show
21:35 < Lulu> The Privateer programme
21:35 < noe> "we would totally help with setup but we would need help
        with the content, guests, etc."
21:35 < jokeefe> Like it.  I would help with that.  Could have little
        side lines - This week in surveillance ...
21:35 < Lulu> YOU ARE THE SHIT NOE
21:35 < Lulu> Heheheheheh
21:36 < noe> Yes!  The producer took  me to their hotset, its a small
        interview space that's set up for 30 minute live sets
21:36 < jokeefe> aye!  in a good way
21:36 < noe> We could probably have a host or two and try to finagle a
        guest in?
21:36 < jokeefe> sounds good.
21:36 < Lulu> All you peeps in Somerville...
21:36 < noe> I think we should manipulate the frequency to once a month
        if we do it.
21:36 < Lulu> What a resource
21:37 < Lulu> Once a month is a lot akshlly
21:37 < noe> Yes!
21:37 < noe> I know that there are other shows that are once a week,
        but my fear is that we will have to cancel
21:37 < jokeefe> Talked with Joe - he had a radio interview that went
        well.  Got interviewed by the Worcester Telegram & Gazette, radio debate
        on the 24th
21:38 < jokeefe> start small, get our feet wet and build from there.
21:38 < noe> Somerville Neighborhood News for instance is weekly when
        they have enough people to do it, but when school starts it gets to once
        a month sometimes.
21:38 < jokeefe> Could even do a How to … segment.
21:38 < Lulu> Trying to find an event we can work on Saturday. Waiting
        to hear from him.
21:38 < jokeefe> great!
21:39 < noe> Hooray for Joe!
21:39 < Lulu> Oh crypto-tv?
21:39 < Lulu> How to: TOR PGP BITCOIN?
21:39 < noe> I will mention to SCATV that we'd be interested in a monthly
        on the hotset.
21:39 < Lulu> You mean Erica?
21:40 < noe> Probably her or Wendy or the new guy Brian
21:40 < noe> One of them producers
21:40 < Lulu> Cool :-)
21:40 < jokeefe> aye, Lulu
21:41 < jokeefe> Anything else to report on candidate items?
21:42 < noe> We probably both need  more money?
21:42 < noe> I'm just saying.
21:42 < jokeefe> Aye, and volunteers
21:42 < Lulu> To do ...what?
21:43 < jokeefe> So if you want to help, please contact either campaign -
        votenoelani.org or voteguertin.org
21:43 < Lulu> Yes please
21:43 < Lulu> Million Mask March diversity please!
        http://animalnewyork.com/2013/diversifying-the-anonymous-guy-fawkes-mask/
21:44 < jokeefe> Thanks for the updates and comments -Moving on to
        planning for the Mask March - Who is going?
21:44 < Lulu> I am. See my freebie masks?
21:44 < jokeefe> I plan to be there during the start or lunch.
21:45 < bestpiggy> i plan to go
21:45 < noe> I am hoping to go, but don't know my schedule yet.
21:45 < kate_m> So, this is embarrassing, but this is the first I've
        heard of it for this year
21:45 < kate_m> where/when?
21:45 < noe> I should know by next week.
21:45 < jokeefe> kate_m - https://www.facebook.com/events/841471605887010/
21:46 < noe> Wednesday November 5, march on the State House
21:46 < kate_m> ugh
21:46 < kate_m> weekdays
21:46 < Lulu> ikr?
21:46 < noe> They say 8am, but . . . Noe is a light-hating creature.
21:46 < kate_m> 8am is not happening
21:46 < Lulu> I couldn't get into town last year
21:46 < kate_m> anons are not morning people
21:46 < Lulu> should make it this time
21:46 < Lulu> Bryan is
21:46 < noe> Maybe they mean 8pm?
21:46 < noe> (I hope so)
21:47 < Lulu> ANONinMASS
21:47 < kate_m> maybe they mean all day
21:47 < Lulu> Oh Bry means early am I amsure
21:47 < kate_m> ANONinMASS is a protesting machine
21:47 < srevilak> I'll be at the vet @ 8am
21:47 < Lulu> Oh no! Kitty?
21:47 < jokeefe> noon would be good.
21:48 < noe> Yes, noon sounds good.
21:48 < kate_m> is there any actual plan for this one?
21:49 < kate_m> or just another rah rah we're not dead yet?
21:49 < kate_m> because if it's the dead yet one I'mma stay home
21:49 < noe> I've been to several rallies in the past few weeks where
        people have actively asked for participation
21:49 < Kendra> how so?
21:49 < bestpiggy> ima shoot for 8am too
21:49 < noe> (not that they were clear on time commitments or
        expectations, just that they were actually asking)
21:50 < Lulu> Angle for MPP: Remain anonymous, attend our crypto-parties
21:50 < Lulu> (Since election will be over)
21:50 < noe> *walks up to microphone*  "And if this is really upsetting
        you, please consider coming to the Million Mask March on November 5th"
21:50 < jokeefe> There seem to be two Facebook events, not sure who is
        organizing - action item, figure out the plan.
21:51 < Lulu> Help me with my project and I will take care of that
21:51 < Lulu> "project"
21:51 < noe> If we want Pirates to come, we should have a fun Pirate
        activity, because I am unsure that this is going to be fun
21:51 < Lulu> Masks are fun
21:51 < Lulu> sorta
21:52 < noe> Make a mask activity?
21:52 < Lulu> LOL
21:52 < Lulu> Like kindergarten!
21:52 < Kendra> They need to be better organized and clear about what
        the day will look like.
21:52 < jokeefe> with spray paint!  that will go over well
21:52 < Lulu>
        http://animalnewyork.com/2013/diversifying-the-anonymous-guy-fawkes-mask/
21:52 < jokeefe> aye, Kendra
21:52 < Lulu> No one noticed
21:53 < noe> I think we should make a happy Pirate guy fawkes
21:53 < Lulu> kate_m?
21:53 < kate_m> personalizing gf masks kinda rubs me the wrong way
21:53 < kate_m> but that's a personal problem
21:53 < kate_m> y'all do what makes you happy
21:54 < jokeefe> can make it easier to identify people
21:54 < Lulu> Just trying to be diverse. :-)
21:54 < Kendra> my pet peeve is endless marching.  i can't do it anymore.
21:54 < Lulu> jokeefe +1
21:54 < noe> I like a sit-in
21:54 < noe> Or a lie-around
21:54 < Lulu> Oh but you will so thing my dear!
21:54 < Lulu> thin even
21:55 < davidd> so is this "diversifying" happening on halloween eve?
21:55 < jokeefe> Nov. 5th
21:55 < Lulu> No MMM is 11/5
21:55 < noe> Instead of gf masks, we could wear a pirate masks?
21:55 < davidd> well i agree with kate_m
21:56 < davidd> the philosophy behind the masks is to have plausible
        deniability by everyone having the mask at home
21:56 < davidd> being anonymous is the point of all having the same mask
21:56 < Lulu> Seriously, some of us are never anonymous
21:56 < jokeefe> aye, davidd
21:57 < Lulu> Fool that I am I put my name on everything/
21:57 < davidd> if you personalise it it becomes a meaningless prop
21:57 < Lulu> :-P I thought it was a good idea.
21:57 < noe> Its an interesting one
21:57 < davidd> nice to look at but defeating the purpose
21:58 < Lulu> They can identify anyone if they want to by clothes, phone
21:58 < jokeefe> so we need more details about this event, then
21:58 < Lulu> Yep
21:58 < bestpiggy> lulu, true too
21:58 < davidd> well did you see the movie
21:58 < Lulu> That was a film
21:59 < Lulu> The "hero" tortured a girl to make a point, too
21:59 < Lulu> Not my favorite tactic
21:59 < davidd> but the concept was explained in the end
21:59 < davidd> that is what i was getting at
21:59 < davidd> when all people got a mask by the mail at home
21:59 < Kendra> Well if you add color and race to the equation, it kind
        of defeats the purpose of anonimity.  But on another note people could
        wear any color mask, ot that that is fooling anyone.  However, that
        is a conversation that will only twist itself up in knots.  Masks were
        traditinally used in triabl ceremonies where people did not know who a
        jury was.   It is halloween season after all, might as well go full Pirate
21:59 < Lulu> So lets all be Guy...
21:59 < Lulu> a white anglo saxon
22:00 < Kendra> Evil clowns
22:00 < Lulu> dude
22:00 < Kendra> mix it up
22:00 < noe> It is halloween.  Most of the people where I grew up would
        find a white guy frightening.
22:00 < Lulu> We are taking this WAY too seriously
22:00 < davidd> there has been a move to use the old greek masks for
        happy/sad face
22:00 < noe> Also, I think we're at time.
22:00 < jokeefe> lol, noe.
22:00 < Lulu> ANGELIC CHOIR SINGS
22:01 < jokeefe> and off topic
22:01 < jokeefe> motion to adjourn the formal meeting?
22:01 < Lulu> Take control sir
22:01 < noe> motioned!
22:01 < Kendra> secnd
22:01 < Lulu> OOH
22:01 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:01 < Lulu> seconds too late
22:01 < Kendra> aye
22:01 < Lulu> aye
22:01 < noe> aye
22:01 < Lulu> back to bed....
22:01 < jokeefe> aye
22:01 < Kendra> nite
22:01 < Lulu> night!
22:01 < srevilak> aye to adjourn
22:01 < noe> nite!
22:01 < jokeefe> srevilak, will you add the notes?
22:02 < srevilak> jokeefe: will do