October 17th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search




Planning for 2018 Elections & Organizing

Possible training schedule:

  • 11/18, Milford Training
  • early Dec: WMass
  • January: Boston
  • February: Worcester

Once we set dates for the trainings we will put up a poll asking about our 2018 conference and whether to change it into several regional conferences.

In 2018, towns decide when their elections are held, but most are held in the first half of the year. State & county elections are in November. What offices are up in 2018 is listed here. We have been asked to hold a town election training in Milford this year.

Nomination papers for federal/state/county elections are available in mid-February. State/county candidates have until the end of May to gather all of their signatures, while federal candidates have until the end of July. The number of signatures needed vary from 150 for State Rep. to 2000 for US House of Representatives.

The electronic election for our officers went well in 2017, and we should consider doing it again. Such a change would allow us to decentralize our yearly conference and hold multiple regional conferences in different parts of the state. We could schedule monthly conferences starting in March or April. We could limit them to about 4-5 hours long, with the first half being training and the second half being discussion. If we want to go this route, we should ask our members soon and see who wants to organize their regional conference.

Mass. Amazon Bid

Statement Draft: https://piratenpad.de/p/MAPPAmazonBidStatement

When should we release it?


Monthly Video Magazine

Digital Right of Repair

Details. Making calls to volunteers and members.

Other To Dos

S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017

Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.


  • Review regular IRC meeting day. Poll sent to email list - Sent (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)

Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use.

Upcoming Events

See: 2017 calendar


  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Malt: Samuel Capradae, Worcester
  • hvxgr: Tom Rodman - Milwaukee


  • davidd
  • igel_
  • papegaai




[9:03pm] jokeefe: agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_17th,_2017_IRC_Meeting
[9:03pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:03pm] papegaai: Title: October 17th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org)
[9:03pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:04pm] hvxgr: Tom Rodman - Milwaukee
[9:04pm] Malt: Samuel Capradae, Worcester
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:06pm] hvxgr: No.
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Projects - Planning for 2018 Elections & Organizing
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Milford Training set for 11/18
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Emailed Holyoke contact about using Holyoke public library for the WMass training
[9:09pm] jokeefe: looked at booking rooms at the Cambridge public library
[9:09pm] jokeefe: think we may need a local to put in the request
[9:10pm] jokeefe: will ask our Cambridge supporters
[9:11pm] jokeefe: you were saying about Worcester, Malt?
[9:12pm] Malt: there's a local community makerspace
[9:12pm] Malt: which has a decent classroom and attached kitchen
[9:13pm] Malt: could do maybe 30 or more depending how it's setup
[9:13pm] Malt: if we're aiming for feb the library might have space by then, I'll make a note to follow up
[9:13pm] Malt: but the worcshop (the makerspace) has a $75 day fee
[9:14pm] Malt: it would make sense to try and get the most use out of it possible
[9:14pm] jokeefe: what about a half day?
[9:14pm] Malt: they didn't mention half days
[9:15pm] jokeefe: could do a cryptoparty for half the day and the training for the other half
[9:16pm] Malt: we could reach out to other progressive groups & ask them to help with the cost as well
[9:16pm] Malt: but i think a "pirates takeover the worcshop" would make for a fun sunday
[9:17pm] Malt: even do it as a "crypto cafe" where folks can drop in whenever
[9:17pm] Malt: i know the woman who manages the kitchen, she catered my wedding
[9:17pm] Malt: same woman who did the cookies
[9:17pm] Malt: but i'm getting ahead of myself
[9:18pm] jokeefe: I’ll ask on the cryptoparty list and see if anyone would like to help with one in worcester in february
[9:20pm] jokeefe: please see what dates are available in February there and at the library and we can can come back and decide on a date/location
[9:20pm] jokeefe: sound good?
[9:20pm] Malt: on it~!
[9:21pm] jokeefe: thank you
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Mass. Amazon Bid
[9:22pm] jokeefe: still working on the statement. when should we release it?
[9:23pm] Malt: ASAP?
[9:26pm] hvxgr: We lost the fight in WI against the Foxconn (LCD Display) factory.  It was rammed through.  20 million sq feet; supposely one of the worlds biggest factories.  Some hope that Supreme Ct of WI will rule parts of the supporting law as unconstitutional.
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Amazon’s request for proposals gives a deadline of Oct. 17, with a site selection and announcement slated for 2018
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Malt, you want to take a stab at fleshing it out tonight and I will finish it up in the morning and get it posted?
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Sadly, I have another cold, so bed is my priority tonight
[9:29pm] Malt: ugh same, sorry hoss
[9:29pm] jokeefe: lol
[9:29pm] Malt: how much is left to be done?
[9:29pm] jokeefe: it is a collection of lines with no cohesive message
[9:29pm] jokeefe: ok, I will finish it up in the morning and post it
[9:31pm] Malt: ohh right, in the pad from the last meeting
[9:32pm] jokeefe: I wrote the first line 
[9:32pm] Malt: i can take the first pass though
[9:32pm] Malt: for some reason i thought i'd have to cook it up from scratch
[9:34pm] jokeefe: oh no
[9:35pm] jokeefe: whatever you can. I am fading unfortunately. But will be able to focus on it when I am bright eyed and bushy tailed
[9:36pm] Malt: yeah
[9:38pm] jokeefe: We need Joe for the other two items and digital right of repair doesn’t have an update
[9:38pm] Malt: i'm newsed-out on my end
[9:38pm] Malt: still struggling with resigning from my corrupt evil job
[9:39pm] Malt: haven't had much resources
[9:39pm] jokeefe: sigh. sorry to hear that
[9:39pm] jokeefe: one thing I should have put under decisions, is that Digital 4th (as in amendment) is holding a lobbying day on 10/26 for the privacy/surveillance/police equipment transparency bills they have put forward
[9:39pm] jokeefe: would be good to try to turn out pirates for it since it is next week.
[9:39pm] jokeefe: sound good?
[9:40pm] jokeefe: it would be blog posts, emails and some calls to get people to go
[9:41pm] Malt: nice!
[9:41pm] Malt: i'll call and e-mail, definitely
[9:41pm] jokeefe: sign us up?
[9:41pm] jokeefe: to help?
[9:42pm] jokeefe: going once
[9:43pm] jokeefe: going twice
[9:44pm] Malt: i mean i don't know if i can truck out thursday
[9:44pm] jokeefe: was asking more whether it is something we should endorse and try to turn Pirates out to
[9:45pm] Malt: aahhhh
[9:45pm] Malt: i mean i'm absolutely down
[9:45pm] Malt: if we don't turn out for surveillance
[9:45pm] Malt: what do we turn out for?
[9:46pm] jokeefe: agreed
[9:46pm] jokeefe: ok, confirming the date, will get something up
[9:46pm] jokeefe: that is all I have
[9:46pm] jokeefe: call it a night? sounds like we both need some sleep
[9:46pm] Malt: yeah
[9:46pm] Malt: 2nded
[9:47pm] hvxgr: So Discord has not replaced IRC, I hope?
[9:48pm] jokeefe: not yet
[9:48pm] hvxgr: ok.  Take care all / good night.
[9:48pm] jokeefe: this works better for meetings, but we still have it. working on a better way to make decisions and all pirates to connect
[9:49pm] jokeefe: thanks to you both.
[9:49pm] jokeefe: have a good night
[9:49pm] Malt: night!