October 23rd, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Events Status

  1. Update on candidate status, campaign strategies
  2. Mask March

Participants

  • davidd (David van Deijk, eindhoven, netherlands)
  • Lulu (Lucia Fiero)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville)
  • bestpiggy
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, in Highland Park)
  • igel (William Fleurant, Arlington)

Observers

  • Pharyngeal
  • zby

Events Summary

  1. Oct. 25, Newbury St. Shutdown
  2. Nov. 4, Election day, 7am-8pm
  3. Nov. 5, Million Mask March
  4. May 6, 2015, International Day against DRM.

Minutes

 
20:53 < Lulu> ahoy swabs
20:53 < davidd> ahoy to you too
20:55 < Lulu> FYI James is unwell...
20:55 < Lulu> I will be taking the helm if there are no objections
20:57 < davidd> lead us!
20:58 < davidd> hi noe
20:59 < Lulu> Ah but Noe was not here!
20:59 < noe> ahoy!
20:59 < Lulu> ahoy
21:00 < davidd> Title: Politics in the Animal Kingdom: Single Transferable
        Vote
21:00 < davidd> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8XOZJkozfI
21:00 < Lulu> Miss Piggy!
21:00 < Lulu> Calling to order, IDs please
21:00 < Lulu> Lucia Fiero
21:01 < noe> Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville
21:01 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:01 < davidd> David van Deijk, eindhoven, netherlands
21:01 < davidd> but i am going to bed
21:01 < Lulu> :-)
21:02 < Lulu> Campaign updates
21:03 < Lulu> Joe has a forum on hyper local radio out here
21:03 < srevilak> Lulu: what's `hyper local radio'?
21:04 < Lulu> Derp
21:04 < Lulu> Just an expression...
21:04 < noe> THat's awesome.  :D
21:05 < Lulu> WMRC is station I've never heard of and
21:05 < Lulu> I *live* out here.
21:05 < srevilak> recent article in Worcester T&G looked pretty good
21:05 < Lulu> Jamie and I met with Joe today
21:05 < noe> How did it go?
21:06 < Lulu> Yes Jason and I read that tonight.
21:06 < noe> (I like the article, although it felt that Joe only got
        about a sentence)
21:06 < Lulu> We met with Alex and other
21:06 < Lulu> other Jamie first
21:06 < Lulu> I can get back to that
21:07 < Lulu> I wanted to Joe to signal boost Alex's project
21:07 < Lulu> Ahoy!
21:07 < Lulu> ID please!
21:07 < Lulu> I apologize, I am having trouble typing because my left
        shift key has failed.
21:07 < Lulu> And I am sleepy...
21:08 < Kendra> Kendra Moyer, in Highland Park at the moment
21:08 < Lulu> Jamie gave Joe some debating advice
21:09 < Lulu> Joe went over his pet issues/talking points
21:09 < srevilak> Lulu: what's Alex's project?
21:09 < Lulu> We showed Joe how to work his blog so he can start blogging
        daily hopefully
21:10 < Lulu> Alex hopes to draft post ferguson legislation
21:10 < Lulu> he is working with several organizations
21:10 < noe> This all sounds awesome!
21:11 < srevilak> Lulu: thx for explaining
21:11 < Lulu> Today we met Jaime McFarlin
21:11 < srevilak> Who's she?
21:11 < Lulu>  a Harvard law student co-chair of the social justice
        cmmtee on the
21:12 < igel> lo
21:12 < Lulu> Black Law Students Assoc
21:12 < Lulu> ahoy
21:12 < igel> William Fleurant, Arlington
21:12 < Lulu> She an her co-writers plan
21:12 < Lulu> on having the first draft written by Dec 5
21:13 < Kendra> What is the gist of the legislation?
21:13 < Lulu> Today she briefed us on information she's put together
        about body camera implementation around various cities
21:13 < Lulu> So far it seems none of it has been done by legislation.
21:14 < Lulu> We also talked bout how to fund the cameras
21:14 < Lulu> Alex tells us that in NJ apprently
21:14 < noe> (so, social pressure is responsible for implementation?)
21:14 < Lulu> they take the revenues from DUI
21:14 < Kendra> Law enforcement unions have opposed it in some areas
21:15 < Lulu> and put an additional fee from that to the cost of body
        can operations
21:15 < Lulu> Jaimie M taouched on that point some
21:15 < Lulu> There are ways to sell the police
21:16 < Lulu> I aksed her for her notes and once she has consulted with
        the other members of her team...
21:16 < Lulu> she said she would send me what she could
21:16 < Lulu> She understands that I will be sharing all of this with
        y'all
21:16 < Lulu> So... busy day today.
21:17 < noe> Thank you for sharing!
21:17 < Lulu> Would you like to update us, noe?
21:17 < noe> Sure!  Propaganda has been printed and will be paid in
        full soon.
21:17 < Lulu> lol
21:18 < Kendra> Quick point.  Body cameras are not and adequate solution
        to racism and white supremacy. It a feel good band aid to a wider cultural
        problem and  it can be subcverted by your average devious police officer,
        as has been proven.
21:18 < Lulu> There is far more to this project...
21:18 < srevilak> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhb6kOHfNF8
21:18 < noe> We have been successful in getting Somervillains and
        Cantabrigians to sign the PassMassAmendment petition as we go doorknocking
21:18 < Lulu> This is what we focused on today.
21:18 < Lulu> When will you be back in MA, Kendra?
21:18 < srevilak> (promo from a manufacturer of police body cameras)
21:19 < Lulu> You are more than welcome to come to Alex's meetings I
        am sure
21:19 < Kendra> Not sure due to family stuff, maybe next week
21:19 < noe> We'll be doorknocking this weekend, Saturday 1-3pm and
        Sunday 10am-12pm, meetup at HQ
21:19 < Lulu> SAVE SOME energy for WEMF!
21:19 < Lulu> you have to be there by 5:30
21:20 < Lulu> I will be driving Joe in so i will see you!
21:20 < noe> I did an interview with Somerville Journal last week Friday
        for an Editorial and also did an interview with the Globe, same thing
        that Jamie interviewed for this week.
21:20 < noe> Yes, and I'll be at WEMF by 5:30.  :D
21:20 < Lulu> :-)
21:20 < noe> I think we're doing a good job at getting the word out.
21:21 < Lulu> I think you are doing a great job... i wanted to say
21:21 < Lulu> that I  like how much you have been blogging
21:21 < Lulu> and how you sox med out all yor to-doingings
21:21 < Lulu> socmed
21:22 < Lulu> You are very proactive.
21:22 < noe> We try!  Its a combination of me and Jamie doing socmed
21:22 < noe> I've been getting friends to try and signal boost our
        propaganda.
21:22 < noe> I'm really, really grateful for all the volunteers!
21:23 < Lulu> I'm grateful you're on our team
21:23 < Lulu> :-)
21:24 < Lulu> I am looking at the agenda
21:24 < Lulu> It says million mask march next...
21:24 < Lulu> Not sure what Jamie wanted to discuss other that who will
        be there?
21:24 < Lulu> Anyone else know?
21:24 < Lulu> Jason and I hope to be there.
21:25 < noe> I will probably be there with PassMassAmendment petitions.
        :)
21:25 < Lulu> I assume Bryan will be it's his gig
21:25 < noe> They're not due until 11/12
21:25 < Lulu> good idea!
21:25 < Lulu> Bring extra?
21:25 < Lulu> I should be able to help with that.
21:26 < Lulu> James will probably say a few things at the bull
        horn... anyone else want to talk?
21:27 < Lulu> well its not critical... think about it...
21:27 < Lulu> moving on
21:27 < Lulu> this Saturday
21:27 < Lulu> boston stands with ferguson is going to attempt to
21:28 < Lulu> shut down newbury street
21:28 < Lulu> 12-30pm
21:29 < Lulu> https://www.facebook.com/events/540613642738823/
21:29 < noe> cool!
21:29 < Lulu> Though we really should focus on the election for now
21:29 < Lulu> ferguson isn't going anyway where any time soon
21:30 < Lulu> but if anyone knows anyone who is interested... then signal
        boost it
21:30 < noe> (done and done)
21:31 < Lulu> So after the WEMF appearence...
21:31 < Lulu> what is projected for campaign work next week?
21:31 < Lulu> we still need to get our propaganda printed
21:31 < Lulu> you need anything noe?
21:32 < noe> I think we could always use more people for doorknocking
        or doorknocker hanging
21:32 < Lulu> i will be coming into cambridge next wed
21:32 < noe> Sat., 25th, 1-3pm Sun., 26th, 10am+ Mon., 27th, 5:30-7pm
        Thu., 30th, 5-7pm Fri., 31st, morning & afternoon Noelani only Sun.,
2nd, 10am+ Mon. 3rd, 5:30-7:30pm GOTV calls
21:32 < noe> It's a busy and strange schedule
21:33 < Lulu> what wis GOTV calls
21:33 < noe> Mostly for doorknocking
21:33 < Lulu> ?
21:33 < noe> Get Out The Vote Calls
21:33 < Lulu> derp
21:33 < noe> We should actually call people who pledged to vote
21:33 < Lulu> Oh!
21:33 < noe> Calling pizza party?
21:33 < Lulu> I can help with that from here!
21:34 < Lulu> I just wanted to mention that I will be cruising the
        Berman Cetnter
21:34 < Lulu> Berkman
21:34 < Lulu> center
21:34 < Lulu> looking to shanghai some pirates
21:34 < Lulu> on wed the 29th
21:34 < Lulu> if anyone wants to join me
21:34 < noe> What time?
21:34 < Lulu> Molly Sauter is giving a talk
21:35 < Lulu> 6 pm i think
21:35 < Lulu>   i will send the deets to the list
21:35 < Lulu> Also Steve was kind ebough to check out a Represent.us
        meeting
21:36 < Lulu> he posted notes
21:36 < Lulu> This would be a good thing to look into forming our own
        chapters where we live for the sake of recruiting
21:36 < Lulu> *after* the election
21:36 < Lulu> What is the plan for election returns night noe?
21:37 < noe> comestibles and cavorting?
21:37 < noe> we have not secured a space
21:37 < noe> if the party is less than 40 we can hold it at HQ
21:38 < noe> as far as i know, we have less than 10 definites
21:38 < Lulu> Um where is hq? your house?
21:38 < noe> yup
21:38 < Lulu> lol
21:39 < noe> what is the plan for joe's election returns night?
21:39 < Lulu> Joe wants to hang out with his family.
21:39 < Lulu> Maybe I will head into hq if i get lonely
21:40 < Lulu> Oh i forgot to mention srevilak...
21:40 < srevilak> Lulu: yes?
21:40 < Lulu> The issue of email encryption came up at the meeting today
21:40 < Lulu>  alex sends his agendas encrypted
21:41 < Lulu> and that goth
21:41 < Lulu> got Jaimie M and myself talking about
21:41 < Lulu> doing a crypto party fro her organization
21:41 < Lulu> the black law students assoc
21:41 < srevilak> Lulu: sure, put me in touch with Jaime
21:42 < Lulu> she says in the spring though
21:42 < Lulu> we need to schedule far in advance
21:42 < noe> (ooh!  I'll have enough time to help . . . :) )
21:42 < Lulu> they book up way in advance they have full plates
21:42 < Kendra> have her email me
21:43 < Lulu>  will do srevilak is there anything you would like to
        mention regarding DRM day?
21:43 < Lulu> becuas that is the last item
21:43 < srevilak> DRM day is in may
21:43 < Lulu> i didn't make the agenda
21:43 < Lulu> i want to talk about Arisia myself
21:44 < Lulu> We are in negotiations to put on one panel at least
        maybe two
21:44 < Lulu> a crypto panel and perhaps a meet the pirates panel
21:45 < Lulu> I am also in negotiations for a party room like last year
21:45 < Lulu> its the weekend of MLK day
21:45 < Lulu> who is thinking that they can make it/ participate?
21:45 < noe> probably me!
21:46 < srevilak> I can participate in a panel, but will likely skip
        the party room
21:46 < noe> (january, right?)
21:46 < Lulu> 16th to th 20th
21:46 < noe> I don't know what a party toom is
21:46 < Lulu> Arisia is a geek convention
21:46 < Kendra> i can panel
21:46 < Lulu> not just scifi but steampunk
21:47 < Lulu> anime
21:47 < Lulu> manga
21:47 < Lulu> its called a multimedia convention
21:47 < noe> What is a party room?
21:48 < Lulu> so one floor in the hotel where it is held is reserved
        for people who want to host a party
21:48 < Lulu> we did it last year, it's Jason't thing, his forte
21:48 < Lulu> we are supposed to be open at least one night, but we
        stayed open all weekend.
21:48 < Lulu> we were a non booze party
21:48 < Lulu> we has a lot of kids running around
21:49 < Lulu> we fed ppl coffee tea snacks and propaganda
21:49 < noe> Well, could be fun.  I like propagada
21:49 < Lulu> handed out flyers in the hallways
21:49 < Lulu> its is fun... the vast bulk of ppl who organize this event
        are in IT
21:50 < Lulu> It was founded by people Jamie and
21:50 < Lulu> Jason and I all knew at Umass
21:50 < Lulu> Many are still involved.
21:50 < noe> My wife's performed at Arisia
21:50 < Lulu> COOL!
21:50 < noe> And I know people who tech at the event, but I've never been.
21:50 < Lulu> so you know what it is?
21:50 < Lulu> Yay
21:50 < noe> Yup.  I'd be up for helping us do things at Arisia.
21:51 < Lulu> I think we had a lot of fun last year, don't you agree
        Kendra?
21:51 < Kendra> it was a trip.  not doing it this year though
21:52 < Lulu> Oh. OK
21:53 < Lulu> Well Arisia is something that we do with our kids every year
21:53 < Lulu> And Jamie does with his
21:53 < Lulu> so since we will be there anyway...
21:53 < noe> For those of us who want to help, when should we buy
        our passes?
21:54 < Lulu> We will get some passes for ppl who want to help, but the
        more ppl who pay their own way the better...
21:54 < Lulu> asap i would say
21:54 < Lulu> it sells out every year
21:55 < Lulu> http://www.arisia.org/Registration
21:56 < Lulu> 10 bucks cheaper until 12/31
21:56 < Lulu> any other pressing matters?
21:56 < Lulu> 4 minutes to time
21:58 < Lulu> going once...
21:58 < srevilak> OCPF Pre-election reports are due monday
21:58 < Lulu> yes ty
21:58 < srevilak> I'm planning to draft ours Fri or Sat.  Not too many
        transactions to report
21:58 < noe> thank you!  I will poke Joe Treasurer tomorrow.
21:58 < Lulu> I have to do that still ... tomorrow
21:59 < Lulu> Move to adjourn?
21:59 < noe> moved!
21:59 < Lulu> 2nd?
22:00 < Lulu> zzzzz
22:00 < Lulu> all in favor of splitting?
22:01 < srevilak> aye to adjour
22:01 < Lulu> aye