October 23rd, 2019 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

State House Hearings

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Goals for Q3:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize election
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings/Events

Leader: jokeefe

  • Boston Anarchist Bookfair is Nov. 9-10. at Boston University. We will join MassMesh in getting table.
  • Holyoke Meetup, 11/24, 10:30am-3:30pm, Holyoke Public Library
  • Worcester meetup moved to Spring 2020.

Video Newsletter

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording?

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Next meeting will be November 2nd, 11am-1pm, E5. Topics are:

  • find discussion/voting system;
  • update CCTV cameras to include older cameras outside North America we didn't include;
  • write an app to record the location/ownership of CCTV cameras;
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds);
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak).

National Party

Tabled Projects

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Computer Donations

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Fight bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

H.2419 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. jokeefe will submit testimony.

Upcoming Events

  • 10/29, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 11/2, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
  • 11/5, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, Cambridge
  • 11/9-10, Boston Anarchist Bookfair, George Sherman Union, BU, Boston
  • 11/12, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  • 11/19, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
  • 11/24, 10:30am-3:30pm, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Board Room, Holyoke Public Library, 250 Chestnut Street, Holyoke
  • 11/26, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 12/?, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
  • 12/3, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, Cambridge
  • 12/10, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  • 12/17, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
  • 12/24, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • Spring 2020, ?, Worcester Meetup
  • Spring 2020, ?, Springfield Meetup
  • Spring 2020, ?, Boston Meetup

Participants

  • jokeefe
  • srevilak
  • malt

Observers

  • igel[m]
  • davidd
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy
  • MikaelaSuomalainen
  • ChanServ

Summary

Right to repair bill. Some industry opponents, but they were outnumbered by supporters.

Facial surveillance bill. Big turnout. One opponent from industry. Lots of great testimony otherwise, and some good questions.

jokeefe will send email announcement about upcoming events.

Possible Video newsletter on Sunday. Depends on malt/joe availabiliity

National Party. Elected a number of new officers.

Minutes

 
21:15 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_23rd,_2019_IRC_Meeting
21:15 <@jokeefe> id
21:15 <@jokeefe> s
21:15 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:15 < srevilak> Based on https://coolclimate.berkeley.edu/maps,
        Cambridge still does pretty well with CO2 footprint per household
21:15 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:17 <@jokeefe> Some of the suburbs are really big emitters
21:17 < srevilak> oh dear, we've lost malt :(
21:18 <@jokeefe> expect he will be back
21:19 <@jokeefe> though those numbers are per household. so my guess is
        the suburban households have more people
21:19 < srevilak> and very little public transit
21:20 <@jokeefe> agreed
21:20 <@jokeefe> transportation is a big source
21:20 < srevilak> One of the interesting findings of the project.
        Really urban and really rural areas have low CO2 footprints
21:20 < srevilak> But suburburbs more or less negate that
21:21 < srevilak> I personally blame Dover and Weston for killing
        the planet
21:22 <@jokeefe> lol
21:22 <@jokeefe> we all have our share, but the rich share a bigger
        responsibility
21:23 <@jokeefe> anything to add?
21:23 < srevilak> The next two decades may bring some really interesting
        discussions re climate change
21:23 < srevilak> Once you've addressed point sources like power plants,
        the next big contributors
21:24 < srevilak> are housing (heating and cooling), and personal
        transport
21:24 < srevilak> hello car-oriented suburbs
21:24 < srevilak> we're doomed ....
21:24 <@jokeefe>
        https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-23/how-to-halt-global-warming-for-300-billion
21:24 < srevilak> But no, nothing to add to agenda
21:24 <@jokeefe> How to Halt Global Warming for $300 Billion
21:25 <@jokeefe> Review
21:25 <@jokeefe> State House Hearings
21:25 <@jokeefe> Both hearings went well from what I saw
21:26 <@jokeefe> The first one was pretty much just digital right to
        repair and was in the Gardner auditorium
21:26 <@jokeefe> very comfortable
21:26 <@jokeefe> industry opponents were outnumbered by supporters
21:27 <@jokeefe> the second one had a number of bills
21:28 <@jokeefe> so turn out was very high
21:28 < srevilak> Right to repair?
21:28 <@jokeefe> that was the first hearing
21:28 < srevilak> Ah yes, you said that but I missed it
21:28 <@jokeefe> on monday
21:28 <@jokeefe> no problem
21:29 <@jokeefe> the face surveillance bill was Tuesday
21:29 <@jokeefe> big turnout, smaller space
21:30 <@jokeefe> only one opponent
21:30 <@jokeefe> from industry
21:31 <@jokeefe> lots of great testimony
21:31 <@jokeefe> and good questions
21:31 <@jokeefe> still, not sure where either bill will go
21:33 <@jokeefe> There are efforts at local initiatives for face
        surveillance ordinances in Brookline and Springfield
21:34 <@jokeefe> have a contact at Brookline
21:34 <@jokeefe> looking for Springfield contacts
21:35 <@jokeefe> how are things going in Arlington with the surveillance
        committee?
21:36 < srevilak> Alex asked me about this recently.
21:37 < srevilak> We made a proposal, which has been in the town manager's
        hands for around a year
21:37 < srevilak> well, maybe 10 months
21:37 < srevilak> So, I need to circle back with him
21:37 < srevilak> Perhaps after the Pedrini matter becomes less intense
21:37 <@jokeefe> that is the cop?
21:38 < srevilak> yup
21:38 < srevilak> The whole scenario reminds of an article that Chris
        Farone wrote for the phoenix, called "shit cops say"
21:38 < srevilak> and all of the surrounding circumstances.
21:40 <@jokeefe> will have to look that up. expect it is excellent
21:41 <@jokeefe> Projects
21:41 <@jokeefe> Regional Meetings/Events
21:42 <@jokeefe> sent out email about them. blogs will come out over
        the next few days. will setup events that people can signup at
21:42 < srevilak> thx
21:43 <@jokeefe> will send out another email early next week
21:44 <@jokeefe> Will you be able to help at the anarchist bookfair?
21:44 < srevilak> totally
21:46 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:46 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter
21:47 <@jokeefe> I won’t be able to record this weekend.
21:48 <@jokeefe> are you around if Joe and Malt can?
21:48 < srevilak> Not Saturday, but possibly Sunday
21:49 <@jokeefe> ok, will see if they can do Sunday
21:50 <@jokeefe> Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)
21:50 <@jokeefe> Sorry I haven’t sent out the notes yet. Should have
        it out by tomorrow
21:50 <@jokeefe> National Party
21:51 <@jokeefe> we had elections. Elected new chair, treasurer, secretary
        and webmaster
21:51 < srevilak> nice.  Who are the new electees?
21:53 <@jokeefe> JoeO, JoeK, me and JohannD
21:54 <@jokeefe> That’s all I have
21:54 < srevilak> Congrats, I hope :)
21:54 < srevilak> Nothing new on this end
21:54 < srevilak> motion to adjourn?
21:54 <@jokeefe> Thanks. I can keep notes, so I hope it won’t take
        too much time
21:54 <@jokeefe> 2nd
21:55 <@jokeefe> all in favor?
21:55 < srevilak> aye
21:55 <@jokeefe> aye
21:55 <@jokeefe> thanks