October 23rd, 2019 IRC Meeting
- 1 Review
- 2 Decisions/Endorsements
- 3 Projects
- 4 Tabled Projects
- 5 Upcoming Events
- 6 Participants
- 7 Summary
- 8 Minutes
State House Hearings
Goals for Q3:
- Organize meetups
- Organize election
- Organize Fundraiser(s)
- Organize candidate trainings
- Revise platform
- Boston Anarchist Bookfair is Nov. 9-10. at Boston University. We will join MassMesh in getting table.
- Holyoke Meetup, 11/24, 10:30am-3:30pm, Holyoke Public Library
- Worcester meetup moved to Spring 2020.
- Next pirate news recording?
Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)
Next meeting will be November 2nd, 11am-1pm, E5. Topics are:
- find discussion/voting system;
- update CCTV cameras to include older cameras outside North America we didn't include;
- write an app to record the location/ownership of CCTV cameras;
- set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds);
- post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak).
Boston Sex Worker Petition
- jokeefe contacted friend who refurbishes computers for a non-profit
- Archived https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations - move to wiki
Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:
- how to do basic labels in GIMP,
- work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
- similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group
Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.
Fight bills to make the Film Credit Permanent
H.2419 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. jokeefe will submit testimony.
- 10/29, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
- 11/2, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
- 11/5, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, Cambridge
- 11/9-10, Boston Anarchist Bookfair, George Sherman Union, BU, Boston
- 11/12, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
- 11/19, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
- 11/24, 10:30am-3:30pm, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Board Room, Holyoke Public Library, 250 Chestnut Street, Holyoke
- 11/26, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
- 12/?, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
- 12/3, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, Cambridge
- 12/10, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
- 12/17, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
- 12/24, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
- Spring 2020, ?, Worcester Meetup
- Spring 2020, ?, Springfield Meetup
- Spring 2020, ?, Boston Meetup
Right to repair bill. Some industry opponents, but they were outnumbered by supporters.
Facial surveillance bill. Big turnout. One opponent from industry. Lots of great testimony otherwise, and some good questions.
jokeefe will send email announcement about upcoming events.
Possible Video newsletter on Sunday. Depends on malt/joe availabiliity
National Party. Elected a number of new officers.
21:15 <@jokeefe> Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_23rd,_2019_IRC_Meeting 21:15 <@jokeefe> id 21:15 <@jokeefe> s 21:15 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville 21:15 < srevilak> Based on https://coolclimate.berkeley.edu/maps, Cambridge still does pretty well with CO2 footprint per household 21:15 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington 21:17 <@jokeefe> Some of the suburbs are really big emitters 21:17 < srevilak> oh dear, we've lost malt :( 21:18 <@jokeefe> expect he will be back 21:19 <@jokeefe> though those numbers are per household. so my guess is the suburban households have more people 21:19 < srevilak> and very little public transit 21:20 <@jokeefe> agreed 21:20 <@jokeefe> transportation is a big source 21:20 < srevilak> One of the interesting findings of the project. Really urban and really rural areas have low CO2 footprints 21:20 < srevilak> But suburburbs more or less negate that 21:21 < srevilak> I personally blame Dover and Weston for killing the planet 21:22 <@jokeefe> lol 21:22 <@jokeefe> we all have our share, but the rich share a bigger responsibility 21:23 <@jokeefe> anything to add? 21:23 < srevilak> The next two decades may bring some really interesting discussions re climate change 21:23 < srevilak> Once you've addressed point sources like power plants, the next big contributors 21:24 < srevilak> are housing (heating and cooling), and personal transport 21:24 < srevilak> hello car-oriented suburbs 21:24 < srevilak> we're doomed .... 21:24 <@jokeefe> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-23/how-to-halt-global-warming-for-300-billion 21:24 < srevilak> But no, nothing to add to agenda 21:24 <@jokeefe> How to Halt Global Warming for $300 Billion 21:25 <@jokeefe> Review 21:25 <@jokeefe> State House Hearings 21:25 <@jokeefe> Both hearings went well from what I saw 21:26 <@jokeefe> The first one was pretty much just digital right to repair and was in the Gardner auditorium 21:26 <@jokeefe> very comfortable 21:26 <@jokeefe> industry opponents were outnumbered by supporters 21:27 <@jokeefe> the second one had a number of bills 21:28 <@jokeefe> so turn out was very high 21:28 < srevilak> Right to repair? 21:28 <@jokeefe> that was the first hearing 21:28 < srevilak> Ah yes, you said that but I missed it 21:28 <@jokeefe> on monday 21:28 <@jokeefe> no problem 21:29 <@jokeefe> the face surveillance bill was Tuesday 21:29 <@jokeefe> big turnout, smaller space 21:30 <@jokeefe> only one opponent 21:30 <@jokeefe> from industry 21:31 <@jokeefe> lots of great testimony 21:31 <@jokeefe> and good questions 21:31 <@jokeefe> still, not sure where either bill will go 21:33 <@jokeefe> There are efforts at local initiatives for face surveillance ordinances in Brookline and Springfield 21:34 <@jokeefe> have a contact at Brookline 21:34 <@jokeefe> looking for Springfield contacts 21:35 <@jokeefe> how are things going in Arlington with the surveillance committee? 21:36 < srevilak> Alex asked me about this recently. 21:37 < srevilak> We made a proposal, which has been in the town manager's hands for around a year 21:37 < srevilak> well, maybe 10 months 21:37 < srevilak> So, I need to circle back with him 21:37 < srevilak> Perhaps after the Pedrini matter becomes less intense 21:37 <@jokeefe> that is the cop? 21:38 < srevilak> yup 21:38 < srevilak> The whole scenario reminds of an article that Chris Farone wrote for the phoenix, called "shit cops say" 21:38 < srevilak> and all of the surrounding circumstances. 21:40 <@jokeefe> will have to look that up. expect it is excellent 21:41 <@jokeefe> Projects 21:41 <@jokeefe> Regional Meetings/Events 21:42 <@jokeefe> sent out email about them. blogs will come out over the next few days. will setup events that people can signup at 21:42 < srevilak> thx 21:43 <@jokeefe> will send out another email early next week 21:44 <@jokeefe> Will you be able to help at the anarchist bookfair? 21:44 < srevilak> totally 21:46 <@jokeefe> thanks 21:46 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter 21:47 <@jokeefe> I won’t be able to record this weekend. 21:48 <@jokeefe> are you around if Joe and Malt can? 21:48 < srevilak> Not Saturday, but possibly Sunday 21:49 <@jokeefe> ok, will see if they can do Sunday 21:50 <@jokeefe> Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) 21:50 <@jokeefe> Sorry I haven’t sent out the notes yet. Should have it out by tomorrow 21:50 <@jokeefe> National Party 21:51 <@jokeefe> we had elections. Elected new chair, treasurer, secretary and webmaster 21:51 < srevilak> nice. Who are the new electees? 21:53 <@jokeefe> JoeO, JoeK, me and JohannD 21:54 <@jokeefe> That’s all I have 21:54 < srevilak> Congrats, I hope :) 21:54 < srevilak> Nothing new on this end 21:54 < srevilak> motion to adjourn? 21:54 <@jokeefe> Thanks. I can keep notes, so I hope it won’t take too much time 21:54 <@jokeefe> 2nd 21:55 <@jokeefe> all in favor? 21:55 < srevilak> aye 21:55 <@jokeefe> aye 21:55 <@jokeefe> thanks